none
USB Flash drive doing strange things

Question

• Hi,

I am hoping someone can help me with a strange problem I am seeing?  Basically I have a new USB stick an Integral 16GB Fusion USB Flash Drive.  From here I will say that it is working, because it works on all the computers I have plugged it into so far except for one!

This laptop that its not working on is running Windows 7 Home Premium and all USB ports work because I use a mouse and USB hard drives and have tested all the ports to make sure.  The laptop does see the USB drive sometimes, and when it does and I click on the drive when it finally shows in windows explorer is as if its blank --but its not, when I right-click and get properties the drive shows it as 0K in size and free space --but its not because on other computers its formatted as FAT32 and should be 16GB in size (around 14Gb once formatted).

I have changed the drive letter in drive management to another letter for example W: so that it doesn't conflict with other drive letters but still no change.  Tried the usual updating the drivers by letting windows go off and search for them, tried to see if Windows Update finds a driver but nothing.  The other machines I have used this one are also Windows 7 Professional 64 and 32bit works fine --installs itself without me providing any drivers.

With the laptop in question I have tried deleting all the USB controllers, Root Hubs, basically everything under Universal Serial Bus Controllers and restarted the computer to no avail. I have even copied the drivers that from another computer that has installed fine and tried to use them to install the drive --even though they are exactly the same, my thinking being one of the drivers could be corrupt perhaps.  I have taken a look on Integral's website for drivers but nothing.

For me unless correct me if I am wrong (and please do because its driving me mad and want to solve this mystery) but I think it has to be a driver problem because...and this is whats weird and also proves its not the USB ports on the laptop...but I have VMWare Workstation 8 installed on this same laptop so ran a Windows 7 guest I have already built and tried to install the USB flash drive...it worked!  I could access the files on the flash drive without any issues like the other computers could.

Before anyone says anything about searching on the web, I have done and all I have found is other people saying the USB drives are faulty or USB ports on the computer are faulty.  Nothing else that has the same sort of problem I seem to be having.

If anyone could help I would be greatful, I have tried everything I can think off but I may have reached a point where I can't think of anything else.

Many thanks in advance!

mardi 29 mai 2012 23:07

Réponses

• Hi Niki,

Sorry I haven't updated sooner...ended up being a busier week than expected.  Anyhow problem resolved:

Basically I have a Verbatim Store 'n' Go USB 3.0 1TB drive and comes with some software called Verbatim Green Button, which basically runs in the background and while the drive is plugged in and isn't used after a specific period of time puts the drive to sleep.  As soon as I closed the application and plugged in the USB drive it started working...tested a number of times rebooting without starting the Verbatim Green Button software and all OK.

Many thanks.

Lee.

mardi 5 juin 2012 19:19

Toutes les réponses

• Hi,

Did you received any error message in Device Manager? Can the USB flash drive be recognized in disk management?

Based on the current situation, please test the USB flash drive in Safe Mode. If it works, then try Clean Boot. I suspect it is related to third party software confliction.

Niki
    TechNet Subscriber Support
    If you are TechNet Subscription user and have any feedback on our support quality, please send your feedback here

Niki Han

TechNet Community Support

mercredi 30 mai 2012 09:21
    Modérateur
  • Hi Niki,

Many thanks for the reply.  I am at work at the moment, ironically just used the USB flash drive in question without any problems :) ...but will test as soon as I get home as the laptop in question is my personal one.

I don't get any error messages in Device manager because as far as its concerned the hardware is installed perfectly fine, as mentioned above I have tried to update the drivers but comes back stating that it has the latest drivers.

The USB flash drive is recognised in Disk Management, and up until last night I wasn't able to change the drive letter because I would get an error, however it doesn't seem to error anymore --I must admit I was going to put the error in my post last night but I can't remember it.  It even shows the correct formatted size as well.

I must admit I never thought about booting into safe mode, its normally one of the first things I try with other software/hardware/viral issues.  Once I have done the safe mode and clean boot I will keep you posted.

Many thanks again!

Lee.

mercredi 30 mai 2012 10:10
  • Hi,

Any update on the current situation?

Niki
    TechNet Subscriber Support
    If you are TechNet Subscription user and have any feedback on our support quality, please send your feedback here

Niki Han

TechNet Community Support

lundi 4 juin 2012 16:16
    Modérateur
  • Hi Niki,

Sorry I haven't updated sooner...ended up being a busier week than expected.  Anyhow problem resolved:

Basically I have a Verbatim Store 'n' Go USB 3.0 1TB drive and comes with some software called Verbatim Green Button, which basically runs in the background and while the drive is plugged in and isn't used after a specific period of time puts the drive to sleep.  As soon as I closed the application and plugged in the USB drive it started working...tested a number of times rebooting without starting the Verbatim Green Button software and all OK.

Many thanks.

Lee.

mardi 5 juin 2012 19:19
  • best bet is to deal with the manufacturer

Windows MVP 2011-12, XP, Vista, 7. Expanding into Windows Server 2008 R2, SQL Server, SharePoint, Cloud, Virtualization etc. etc.

Hardcore Games, Legendary is the only Way to Play

Developer | Windows IT | Chess | Economics | Vegan Advocate | PC Reviews

mercredi 6 juin 2012 17:08
  • Must admit I only installed the software thinking I was doing my bit for the environment but the drive isn't installed that much these days as compared to the past.  I may take a look on Verbatim's website to see if there is an update.

mercredi 6 juin 2012 19:13
  • I recall a problem with Sandisk and their software, but they have a tool to purge the stick of the software so I did that and now it works fine on all machines.

I do not own a verbatim stick so I cannot be certain how bad their software is, I advise removing it from the machine and the stick and use the stick natively as storage.

Windows MVP 2011-12, XP, Vista, 7. Expanding into Windows Server 2008 R2, SQL Server, SharePoint, Cloud, Virtualization etc. etc.

Hardcore Games, Legendary is the only Way to Play

Developer | Windows IT | Chess | Economics | Vegan Advocate | PC Reviews

mercredi 6 juin 2012 19:18