none
A request to disable the Desktop Window Manager was made by process (4)

Question

• This Event log error is always followed with "The Desktop Window Manager was unable to start because composition was disabled by a running application"

I have reason to believe these errors are what is randomly locking all GPU related programs. It can be GPU Folding@home (which errors corrupting the work unit & crashing the WDDM driver) or 3D PC games which hard lock or freeze (alt-tabbing fixes some games).

Process (4) belongs to the NT Kernel & System. So how do I track down what and why the OS is sending interrupts that crash all 3D applications, whether it is a game or a GPU computing program?  I'd don't expect anyone to solve this, but if anyone can show me the tools to track down what this "request" is and why the NT Kernel & System is attempting to incur the Desktop Window Manager when it shouldn't be, I'd really appreciate it.

This error has been occurring on both Windows 7 RC and Beta installs (both were clean install), and on all NVIDIA drivers I've tried. I updated all drivers, replaced the GPU, tested the memory, physically checked the system voltages, nothing is shedding any light on this problem. Occurs at stock or overclocked settings, temperatures are not an issue either (this is a watercooled PC). It checks out with Memtest86+, LinX (64bit Linpack stress runs), and everything else I can throw at it.

Originally I thought these Event Log ID's were the symptoms of another problem, such as Windows attempting to recover from a driver or fullscreen game crash. However I realized I can now ctrl+alt+delete out of "locked" games, then alt-tab back into them and the games will eventually resume. So in other words the games haven't crashed at all, more likely something else was interrupting them. I've disabled Aero Glass to see if that makes any difference, but I'd sincerely appreciate any insight to this mess. Thanks.

Windows 7 RC 64bit (& Windows 7 Beta 64)
    GTX 260 (& a borrowed GTX 285)
    Gigabyte EX58-UD5 (latest BIOS)
    6GB 1600MHz RAM
    CoolerMaster 1100W UCP PSU
    vendredi 21 août 2009 22:12

Toutes les réponses

• Looks like a driver issue - You may have updated the drivers but during the process it could have got corrupt.

I would suggest you to download Process Monitor - and capture the events occuring on your system and analyze them.
    Dowload Process Monitor from http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896645.aspx

Start the tool and go through the routine that causes the bug - return to the tool and analyze the log. But my best guess is a corrupt driver.

C# Fan! ananda84(at)gmail(dot)com
    samedi 31 octobre 2009 06:12
  • Would have been nice to have illustrated to the least bit how to get PE to do as described, eleswise I'd not be having this same issue and regardless that I'm very familiar with PE, I've rarely if ever found means to do as indicated.
    My best to all and happ-e-trails, yourweldguru
    mardi 16 novembre 2010 22:12