none
USB Problems but with Intel chipset and processor, Win7 x64 and 4GB RAM?

Question

• I have a Dell Studio XPS 1645 notebook with Core i7 processor, Intel PM55 chipset (brand new chipset model 5/3400) 4GB RAM, Windows 7 Ultimate x64. My USB storage device hangs and disconnects intermittently, while my Logitech G5 Gaming Laser Mouse hangs and the pointer then slows down until it is reconnected or system reboots, and I lose all my custom preset mouse speed/resolution configurations (it has buttons to adjust speed). Is this the same or similar to the problem users had on nVidia chispets? I tried everything to fix it include fresh reinstall of Windows 7, and I lost all the stuff Dell preinstalled on this new system because of it. Should I try the nVidia hotfix?
    mardi 17 novembre 2009 03:05

Toutes les réponses

• The hotfix you reference wouldn't do anything on that machine.  I'm not aware of any known issues on this platform.

Can you please run msinfo32, save the output to a file, then drop it on a public share on http://skydrive.live.com and post the link here please?

I'm not going to be around much this week, so it might be a little while before I get back to you.  But hopefully other folks here can offer some suggestions.
    Want to know if your current hardware & software will work with Windows 7? Check out these links: **Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor ** **Windows 7 Compatibility Center**
    mardi 17 novembre 2009 03:15
  • Are there by chance signs I can look for in msinfo that might suggest there's a problem? I have the information saved, but I already installed the nVidia hotfix. I'll post back if it did anything to help. My mouse always goes out and the onscreen pointer hangs then drops speed, while the lights on my mouse reset and I can no longer use my custom preset resolutions.

here's msinfo

mardi 17 novembre 2009 03:52
  • Right you were, still have the problem. Should I uninstall the hotfix or if I'm correct it's pretty much harmless to not worry about?
    mardi 17 novembre 2009 05:21
  • Right you were, still have the problem. Should I uninstall the hotfix or if I'm correct it's pretty much harmless to not worry about?

I don't know that there's a right answer to that question :)

In my opinion, it's pretty much harmless.  But it hasn't gotten the same level of testing coverage that the files on the Windows 7 DVD have.
    Want to know if your current hardware & software will work with Windows 7? Check out these links: **Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor ** **Windows 7 Compatibility Center**
    mardi 17 novembre 2009 06:03
  • http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/driverslist.aspx?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs&ServiceTag=&SystemID=STUDIOXPS1645&os=W764&osl=EN

Did you try installing the Intel chipset driver package on the Dell website?
    mardi 17 novembre 2009 19:03
  • Hi,

yes, the chipset driver is one of the possible causes. Did this issue happen right after upgrading to Win7?

From your system information, I noticed the following from "problem devices":

Unknown Device USB\VID_0000&PID_0000\6&14F653EA&0&3 This device is working properly.

As reinstalling Win7 is not helpful, it could be related to power supply to the USB devices or too fast rating. I noticed this Logitech G5 Gaming Laser Mouse is not like the original G5's 500 reports per second, it is 1000 per second.

USB devices are supposed to draw a maximum of 500 mA from the host.  The current allocation rules are complicated and depend on the device family and interaction between the host and device.  Some host hardware and drivers are better at enforcing this than others, with current limits enforced.

You can run DeviceManager, right click on the usb hub, check the power requirement under power tab propertis.

If you have many USB devices (not the case from your list) it's possible to draw too much total current from the USB controller and have operational problems.

Try a powered hub or use single general USB device at a time as test.

Refer to http://www.experts-exchange.com/Hardware/Components/Motherboards/Q_23017543.html and http://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/logitechg5/ for confirmation.

jeudi 19 novembre 2009 07:12

• I have the same problem. but it is my usb hard drives that frezes. i have two for my backup 500gb
    when they frezes my usb mice will not work.

Henry

http://cid-124b0fe9a7d5e5ec.skydrive.live.com/browse.aspx/Ny%20mapp
    samedi 21 novembre 2009 13:17
  • Henry - Did you install the latest Intel chipset driver package for your motherboard?
    lundi 23 novembre 2009 05:16
  • Mark, I am in the same situation.

I have an Acer 8735g notebook, with Intel ICH9 chipset, 4 gb ram, win7 x64 and I have the same big problem with my USB hard drives (2 of them).

The entire system freezes when trying to copy files from one another, or just working with one of them. After lots of restarts, and many, many instalations of Win7 x64, I can say that I did apply the patch for nVidia and for several hours I was happy, because things looked like were going in the right direction, as I managed to copy more than 50 GB from one drive to the other. And also torrents work now.

But, although it looks like the patch fixed it, from time to time I get freezes (indeed far more rare then before, but still...) with the torrents working or any other app. that uses the external drives.

I have tried the same operations on the other notebook I have (an MSI CX600 with Sis chipset) and NO PROBLEMS at all.

PS: I have the latest drivers from Intel on the Acer 8735g.

I have uploaded the system info here: http://cid-9c5f716d19e5b5ac.skydrive.live.com/self.aspx/Public/my%20system.nfo

Do you have any suggestions for me ?

Thank you very much,
    Eduard
    mercredi 30 décembre 2009 19:54
  • Mark, I am in the same situation.

I have an Acer 8735g notebook, with Intel ICH9 chipset, 4 gb ram, win7 x64 and I have the same big problem with my USB hard drives (2 of them).

The entire system freezes when trying to copy files from one another, or just working with one of them. After lots of restarts, and many, many instalations of Win7 x64, I can say that I did apply the patch for nVidia and for several hours I was happy, because things looked like were going in the right direction, as I managed to copy more than 50 GB from one drive to the other. And also torrents work now.

But, although it looks like the patch fixed it, from time to time I get freezes (indeed far more rare then before, but still...) with the torrents working or any other app. that uses the external drives.

I have tried the same operations on the other notebook I have (an MSI CX600 with Sis chipset) and NO PROBLEMS at all.

PS: I have the latest drivers from Intel on the Acer 8735g.

I have uploaded the system info here: http://cid-9c5f716d19e5b5ac.skydrive.live.com/self.aspx/Public/my%20system.nfo

The hotfix shouldn't have any impact on your machine either.

Can you try uninstalling your antivirus software to see if that makes a difference?  (Before doing that, make sure you have the product key, install media and anything else you might need so you can put the software back on there. )

Does it hang more often when doing a copy in a particular direction (USB -> PC, PC -> USB, USB drive 1 -> USB drive 2)?

jeudi 31 décembre 2009 07:34
  • I have no antivirus installed, or in the very few cases I had, I didn't notice any difference in USB behaviour.

I mostly did USB1 => USB2 move operations and torrent downloads.
    Something interesting, also torrents hash checking did cause a freeze on the entire system. So no copy/move operations are needed to force this force, just a simple hash check will do it.

One detail: I suspect one of the external drives is starting to fail on me, because of some internal USB board (the enclosure was opened and the controller was used outside the box) and maybe some loose cables :((.

So, I will focus on testing only with the other drive connected, just to be on the safe side.

Today I went to a friend of mine with the good drive (let's assume the other is really broken) and while copying big files to and from his HP Win7 Home Premium x64, Intel Chipset, 4 gigs RAM notebook to my external USB drive, we had absolutely no problem what so ever.

Today I did install Windows 2003 x86, Windows 2008 X64 SP1, Xp Prof. x86, and several Win7 x64 editions found on the net, and from all this options, the only one with problems was the Win7 x64.

So, I really don't know where to start checking.
    vendredi 1 janvier 2010 01:17
  • Nobody to help ?
    vendredi 8 janvier 2010 22:15
  • Hi,

Better open a new thread to avoid confusion and gain more attention.
    lundi 11 janvier 2010 01:55
  • Hi,

yes, the chipset driver is one of the possible causes. Did this issue happen right after upgrading to Win7?

->My computer came preinstalled with Win7.

As reinstalling Win7 is not helpful, it could be related to power supply to the USB devices or too fast rating. I noticed this Logitech G5 Gaming Laser Mouse is not like the original G5's 500 reports per second, it is 1000 per second.

-> This setting is adjustable on Logitech control panel. I set it to 1000 for gaming. The setting didn't effect the problem.

USB devices are supposed to draw a maximum of 500 mA from the host.  The current allocation rules are complicated and depend on the device family and interaction between the host and device.  Some host hardware and drivers are better at enforcing this than others, with current limits enforced.

You can run DeviceManager, right click on the usb hub, check the power requirement under power tab propertis.

If you have many USB devices (not the case from your list) it's possible to draw too much total current from the USB controller and have operational problems.

Try a powered hub or use single general USB device at a time as test.

-> All my devices are plugged into self powered hubs. The requirements are all less than 500 mA except for the Xbox 360 controller, sucking down 500 mA all to itself. It's connected to it's own dedicated port.

Refer to http://www.experts-exchange.com/Hardware/Components/Motherboards/Q_23017543.html and http://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/logitechg5/ for confirmation.

I upgraded now to a Logitech G9x mouse, and although it doesn't lose the resolution settings, I can tell it resets too when the LEDs turn off and on occasionally. I couldn't get the G5 problem resolved at all. My USB hard drive still doesn't work, sometimes it will work only if I don't use the computer during a copy process. This is my second XPS 1645 and second motherboard on this system and the problem seems isolated to this specific hardware configuration. There's also a problem in this system though with massive CPU throttling which I hear is also another possible Windows 7 problem. I'm just going to live with it until someone figures it out and posts a BIOS update, service pack, or hardware recall. lol. This stuff is hard to pin down, that's for sure.
    lundi 11 janvier 2010 02:50
  • I have same problem.

http://cid-aac7cd9f197dcd1a.skydrive.live.com/self.aspx/.Public/DxDiag.txt

http://cid-aac7cd9f197dcd1a.skydrive.live.com/self.aspx/.Public/msinfo-xw8400.nfo

HP xw8400 Intel Xeon quadcore - 8gb RAM windows 7 -x64.

I tried updating all drivers, changing sleep setting on usb hub etc.

I ran the truncate memory command from elevated dos prompt to reduce memory by a megabyte. 

I tried the hotfix for nvidia motherboards... not applicable - no impact.

I tried using ps2 to usb dongle. doesn't work either!

I tried using usb powered hub from monitor. no joy.

I am running out of patience with windows 7 x64.

This machine has huge power supply 800W. I can't understand this.

• Modifié John Pope samedi 17 avril 2010 04:54 updated link
    samedi 17 avril 2010 04:38
  • I still have this problem and I see by searching the forums, other users do to. There is definitely some unresolved issues with specific hardware and USB, not just nVidia's. I have this USB external enclosure that worked fine with my Dell E1705 and even Dell 1640 - however Dell traded me under warranty and I got a 1645, with the new Intel Core i7 and Series 5 chipset; since then I have had 3 different 1645's and they all do the same thing, this external enclosure disconnects from the computer (without Windows noticing) and everything just hangs until I pull the USB cable. Every single system. I am very tech-savvy when it comes to tracking down BIOS, hotfixes, and driver updates - and keep my system extremely clean and orderly and nothing has helped. I also note problems with most other USB devices but the problems vary greatly, like my G5 mouse wouldn't work correctly for long without needing to be reset, G9x is better in that it recovers by itself and you don't even notice it most of the time, and most recent issue I have seen is that when I copy data from my Zune back to Windows the files come off it corrupt and altered. Besides this, I also have a desktop (previous systems all mentioned were laptops), a brand new Dell Studio XPS 8100; well this system is looking like it has similar issues like with my TomTom GPS device, it's impossible to write / update the files on it (it looks like a flash drive to Windows BTW) - and Windows always finds file system errors if I try to write a new file, and things get corrupt. I took the TomTom back and got a new one, same problem. The XPS 8100 also has the Core i7 CPU and Series 5 (I think 57?) chipset, there's gotta be something up with this combination of hardware. Oh, and all systems have 4GB or 8GB RAM, and were usually running 64-bit Windows. Except for the E1705 which ran 32-bit XP and 7....

samedi 22 mai 2010 16:29
  • I read in another topic that as a troubleshooting step, you could disable some RAM. I didn't use the method they provided (some command-line tool), instead using the boot flags and msconfig to do it. No improvement when running with only 3GB RAM with that method. There have been some Event logs.

Log Name: System
    Source: Disk
    Date: 5/22/2010 9:54:57 AM
    Event ID: 51
    Task Category: None
    Level: Warning
    Keywords: Classic
    User: N/A
    Computer: harmony
    Description:
    An error was detected on device \Device\Harddisk1\DR1 during a paging operation.
    Event Xml:
    <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
    <System>
    <Provider Name="Disk" />
    <EventID Qualifiers="32772">51</EventID>
    <Level>3</Level>
    <Task>0</Task>
    <Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
    <TimeCreated SystemTime="2010-05-22T16:54:57.097423400Z" />
    <EventRecordID>6794</EventRecordID>
    <Channel>System</Channel>
    <Computer>harmony</Computer>
    <Security />
    </System>
    <EventData>
    <Data>\Device\Harddisk1\DR1</Data>
    <Binary>030080000100000000000000330004802D0100000E0000C000000000000000000000000000000000473F010000000000FFFFFFFF01000000580000080000000000200A1240032040000000003C000000000000000000000058E5840280FAFFFF0000000000000000103C830280FAFFFF1040010380FAFFFF60FAAC0100000000280001ACFA6000000800000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000</Binary>
    </EventData>
    </Event>

samedi 22 mai 2010 16:59