none
Springboard Series Blog Post: Windows 8 Is Ready For Your Enterprise

Toutes les réponses

• Is that all?

When can we expect some more in-depth information?

So far, this forum is my only source of information.

mardi 21 août 2012 10:00
  • Duskos,

There are lots of great links in the blog post, including a link to the Springboard Series on TechNet, which is the starting point for all IT Pros. If you can give me an idea of what more are you expecting to see, I can point you to the right place.

Thanks

-Tony

IT Pro Audience Manager for Web Forums

mardi 21 août 2012 12:24
  • Anthony,

I do not share your enthusiasm. In the past I did learn about some great resources from the Springboard Series, but what I see now is mostly commercials.

I'm with Microsoft technologies since DOS days and I'm MS Partner, MCTS, IT Pro etc.

For a long time I didn't feel so helpless and stupid.

From my posts here, you can see that I was unable to read pdf document and work on another application at the same time because the Reader application occupied the whole screen. I didn't know how to close the full screen app because there was no X in the window. I learned that power switch is in the "logical" place, under settings. I learned here that my only virtualization option on Windows 8 is to use third party virtualization solution because my CPU doesn't support SLAT (but it will run Hyper-V on Windows Server 2012).

Anyways, I am looking for info about how to best use PC's with Windows 8 . I am emphasising PC's with mouses and without touch screens because where I work we don't have any and we do not plan to obtain any in the near future.

I would be gratefull if you can point me to some primer for use of Windows 8 on PC's (not tablets), where it is explained what mouse gestures are available, what WinKey combinations are available, how we can accomplish common tasks in new OS.

Thanks and regards,

DuskoS

mercredi 22 août 2012 11:03
  • DuskoS,

You might want to check out the Windows 8 Consumer Preview introduction video as it explains some of the features Windows 8 offers to both the touch screen audience and conventional keyboard and mouse audience like yourself. At approximately 23 minutes into the video, you'll see a demonstration of the Windows 8 features that you may be particularly interested in. In addition to the video, there is a post from the Windows Experience Blog on Getting around in Windows 8 which further explains some of the features about navigating the user interface.

Please keep checking back to the Springboard Series page, as new content is added all the time.

Hope this helps.

-Tony

IT Pro Audience Manager for Web Forums

mercredi 22 août 2012 21:56
  • DuskoS, you may want to check out the Windows 8 RTM Enterprise Edition 90 Day Free Trial, if you do NOT yet have access to the Final Bits through either Volume Licencing, Partner Program, MSDN Subscriber Downloads and/or Microsoft Technet Subscriber Downloads. I for example am a Microsoft Technet Standard Retail Level Subscriber who only has access to the Pro Edition and NOT the Enterprise Edition with my Subscription, so I decided to Download the 90 Day Free Trial. Just FYI.

Kevin John Panzke, Microsoft Tech Net Subscriber.

vendredi 31 août 2012 00:12
  • I also don't share your enthusiasm. As an IT professional, I just don't see 8 working in the enterprise, period. I've looked at it, I've tried it, I've considered how it could be used effectively and efficiently, and it just doesn't add up. I won't be recommending any upgrade. We'll carry on our Win7 migration, and skip 8.
    dimanche 2 septembre 2012 17:35
  • Anyways, I am looking for info about how to best use PC's with Windows 8 . I am emphasising PC's with mouses and without touch screens because where I work we don't have any and we do not plan to obtain any in the near future.

The good news:  It's doable, through tweaking a bunch of "To Work" options to non-default values and the addition of some select 3rd party software.  I've been working on figuring out just what you're talking about all through the Windows 8 previews and before that with Windows 7.  Windows 8 can be made completely desktop-centric, where you only ever see the Metro start screen briefly for a fraction of a second right after logon and before the desktop is automatically brought up.

The bad news:  It looks pretty austere and flat, because Microsoft removed the visual styles from most of the desktop.  Personally I don't find it a hindrance to getting work done, but it's a little less pleasant.  Things like drop shadows to help you find what window is overlapping what other window are simply missing.

The better news:  It's lean and quick, meaning you might be able to get it to work on hardware not quite up to Windows 7, though I wonder about drivers.  There can be something like 25 fewer processes running in a fully configured no-nonsense desktop system, as compared to Windows 7.

The not so better news:  There are still some basic gotchas, "can't quite get there from here" things that need to be worked out - like Windows Defender / MSE only notifying you of the need for update at login instead of through the Action Center.

-Noel

Detailed how-to in my eBooks:  

Configure The Windows 7 "To Work" Options
    Configure The Windows 8 "To Work" Options

dimanche 16 septembre 2012 04:27
  • I also don't share your enthusiasm. As an IT professional, I just don't see 8 working in the enterprise, period. I've looked at it, I've tried it, I've considered how it could be used effectively and efficiently, and it just doesn't add up. I won't be recommending any upgrade. We'll carry on our Win7 migration, and skip 8.

I concur.  In fact, I wonder if one can even build any kind of ROI justification for Win8.  I certainly cannot.  

Things are going to get worse with Office 2013 with the new licensing schemes.  

dimanche 30 septembre 2012 00:20