none
Flashing Taskbar?

Question

• Hi all!

Has anyone noticed the flashing taskbar problem? I don't know how regularly it happens, but usually whilst browsing the internet with IE8 or Firefox 3 the taskbar suddenly flashes. When it stops flashing I'm left with blacked out pin-up icons as well as the time and notification area. It's a bit weird!

I'm guessing it's a gpu problem, either incompatibility or a code inconsistency between W7 and the Intel GMA965, but I was wondering if anyone else had noticed this.
    mardi 24 février 2009 12:25

Réponses

• Current all the latest either WDDM 1.0 or WDDM 1.1 drivers are design for Windows Vista. Therefore, although some of them work with Windows 7 beta, some features may not work properly. In this thread, the reason of the issues is that the driver does not support Aero well in Windows 7 beta.
    lundi 13 avril 2009 07:10

Toutes les réponses

• I've noticed it at times, no reason that I could find. I just chalked it up to Beta pains.
    mardi 24 février 2009 15:39
  • Hi,

This issue can be caused by several reasons. I suggest that you reinstall the Adobe Flash Player. Please remove it from “Control Panel”/“Program and Features”. Then access the following website to download the latest version Adobe Flash Player.

Adobe - Adobe Flash Player

Important Note: Microsoft provides third-party contact information to help you find technical support. This contact information may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this third-party contact information.

If the issue still occurs, I suggest that you temporary disable the anti-virus, and check the result.

Arthur Xie - MSFT
    lundi 16 mars 2009 05:30
  • Hiya, thanks for your response.

I'm not so sure that it is Flash that is causing the problem as sometimes it would occur when loading websites that have no flash coding within them. Nevertheless, I'll give it a try and get back to you.

Regards,
    Ibraheem
    lundi 16 mars 2009 12:14
  • Unfortunately, it doesn't work. Maybe it's other ways to solve problem?
    dimanche 22 mars 2009 16:40
  • I apologise for responding so late but I totally forgot after I installed the latest version of Flash. I can confirm what the poster above said; it makes no difference whatsoever to the problem. I don't think this has anything to do with the Flash plugin as it sometimes occurs even when surfing to pages that have no Flash script within them.

Maybe this has been solved in the later builds already?

Best regards,
    Ibraheem
    dimanche 22 mars 2009 18:43
  • The flashing icon on the taskbar is an indication that something requires your attention. For example, if you open Word and type in some random text, switch to a different application and try to use the task bar icon to close, you will see the flashing icon which is a notification that Words is trying to “ask” if you want to save the document or not.

What icon is flashing on the taskbar? Or, do is your entire taskbar flashing? If so that is something else entirely.

I, however, have not notice it while using either IE or FF.

dimanche 22 mars 2009 23:59
  • Hahahaha! It's rare that someone would think that we're so far behind that we wouldn't know the difference between a problem and something within the shell!

No offense meant by the way!

Thank you for replying Darien, but it seems that this is something else. Whilst browsing the internet I've noticed that the entire start bar irregularly flashes until you either navigate away from the page you are on or you mouse over the flashing areas. And yes, it is the whole start bar, not just the notification area.

It is a very odd bug and I do hope that Microsoft have taken notice of it as it seriously annoys me when I'm reading something on the net only to be distracted by it!

Regards,
    Ibraheem
    lundi 23 mars 2009 11:04
  • If your video driver is not compatible with Windows 7 beta, it would cause such issues. Are you using Windows Aero theme? If so, Try another theme and check the result. Also I suggest that you upgrade the graphic card driver. 

If the above suggestions does not work, create a new user account and boot with it. Please let us know the result.

Also let us know the model of your graphic card.

Arthur Xie - MSFT
    mercredi 25 mars 2009 04:28
  • Hi Arthur, thanks for replying!

I doubt that is the issue but I'll try to do it anyway. The GPU and chipset are Mobile Intel 965 Express. I am using the latest driver release for the Beta named Prerelease WDDM 1.1 Driver and so far Intel haven't release a newer driver for this GPU.

I am currently using the Aero Theme but as I said, it's only the taskbar that flashes, not say, the close-maximise-minimise area or any of the other places where Aero seems to take effect. Nevertheless, I'll try what you suggested and get back to you about it.

Best regards,
    Ibraheem

mercredi 25 mars 2009 10:56
  • Hello!

I can confirm this! I tried it with Windows 7 Build 7077 too. It also happens in this newest build, but I have the problem since the first beta build.

I have a Dell Latitude D630 notebook with Mobile Intel 965 Express video card.

I have tried the newest WDDM driver that Windows installs, the problem is there. After som time I downloaded the driver from Intel because I need the right click menu on the desktop that I can have the settings panel with. But that driver also seems buggy in Windows 7.

I usually see the taskbar flashing while using firefox or playing with a game that uses 3d and runs in a Window. The problem is there only with Aero theme, but there's no other option.

About the flashing: It seems that rectangular parts of the taskbar disappears suddenly (become fully transparrent, so the desktop shows up underneath) and then come back. This repeats fastly in a loop until I do something, like hovering the mouse over it or minimize all windows. Sometimes the titlebar of firefox also flashes or disappears.

When I start a 3d game in a window, the whole upper part of the screen flashes fastly. Windows underneath, the desktop and the widgets comming up for millisecs.

If needed I can try making a video.

Update: I tried, but the screen capturing software doesn't see the flashes. I could only record it with my camera if it is fast enoguh.

Henko
    vendredi 10 avril 2009 18:30
  • Current all the latest either WDDM 1.0 or WDDM 1.1 drivers are design for Windows Vista. Therefore, although some of them work with Windows 7 beta, some features may not work properly. In this thread, the reason of the issues is that the driver does not support Aero well in Windows 7 beta.
    lundi 13 avril 2009 07:10
  • I have the same problem on two different PC's & they are both using Intel 965. A not very elegant workaround is to turn of "Transparency", then the problem goes away, although it won't look as nice.
    vendredi 22 mai 2009 04:27
  • Well yes, it's not that one of the most elegant solutions. :D
    You could say: Turn out your computer, so the taskbar won't flash. XD Ok, just a joke. Thanks anyway.

I have reported the problem at the Intel Community Support Forum.
    Here is the thread: http://communities.intel.com/thread/3799?tstart=0

Many have the same problem.

I hope Intel will release the updated drivers soon.
    vendredi 22 mai 2009 04:34
  • It seems that the problem has been fixed with the Intel Chipset 965 Update on the 22/5/2009. Given it's only just occured but I haven't had the same problem yet! I think it's fixed!
    vendredi 22 mai 2009 09:57
  • Still flashes with Intel x3500 even with latest update.
    mardi 26 mai 2009 12:25
  • well i am having the same problem and the only thing that works so far is to show desktop and get back to your pages. (windows key+d/2) its not a solution but its a quick fix to prevent rages...
    mercredi 13 janvier 2010 22:59
  • Right now, here, it's flashing at an epileptical speed... I'm very tired. It looks like an old Nintendo. And it is like this everyday when I'm surfing... I also have an Intel X3500 or something similar (Intel video chipset on a laptop). Like Razziki said, Windows key+(d * 2) works well. Could not imagine an uglier bug.

mercredi 31 mars 2010 02:00
  • Right now, here, it's flashing at an epileptical speed... I'm very tired. It looks like an old Nintendo. And it is like this everyday when I'm surfing... I also have an Intel X3500 or something similar (Intel video chipset on a laptop). Like Razziki said, Windows key+(d * 2) works well. Could not imagine an uglier bug.

I am having the same problem with my Dell Studio 1555 laptop. It has Windows 7 Home Premium x64 and ATI HD 4570 512 MB graphics card. Also the same thing- the taskbar and screen stops flashing when I choose to use Windows Basic theme instead of Windows Aero. It is really annoying. I just bought the laptop three days ago and warranty does not cover the failure of software preinstalled by manufacturer. If there is a solution that has come out for now, I would like to know it.

Regards,

Egon Vohu

vendredi 28 mai 2010 05:57
  • Hi All,

Hehehe replying a bit late on the problem,

But FYI i am experiencing the same problem on my end, the entire taskbar (windows and IE and/or Mozilla) both flash, This is not local application issues its not a program attempting to notify the user for input or a process in the system tray, and definity not related to Adobe flash player as its effecting both the internet browser application and the windows explorer.

Background:

I have been running Windows 7 on my laptop for almost 2 years now and recently performed a OS rebuild several months back, the problem starting occuring soon after the rebuild.

Problem:

The problem is not caused by a local application - Not Flash player, not Beta software, it is a Windows! Yes! a windows issue. The problem is will the windows Explorer.exe - The windows shell

The issue is caused by the windows shell, all windows-based applications use the shell, the shell is a user interface and provides an environment for applications and has now become unstable most likely corrupt and will eventually lead to OS failure. I would recommend the following options to take:

1) Recreate user Profile:

C:\users\%username%

"Log in as local admin, rename the effected user account to %username%.OLD and copy all user data from .old to a newly created profile %username%

2) Recreate explorer.exe

SAFEMODE ONLY

Open Regedit

HKEY LM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon

There is a key called Shell - explorer.exe

rename key to explorer.exe1

restart

windows should attempted to created a new key for the shell

WARNING *** this also may cause the shell to fail and windows GUI environment fail to load, so take care***

3) Rebuild

I would recommend option 1 if the problem continues, reinstall windows - Its this best option.

4) Mics

For XPs try uninstalling internet explore from control panel "default programs and features" and reinstall, as internet explore and window shell are essentials the same, it will do what step 2 attempts to do. " not too sure if this can be done on Windows 7"

SAFEMODE ONLY

Boot PC in safemode or live usb

On a working machine copy "explorer.exe" from C:\windows directory paste explorer.exe and overwrite the existing explore.exe on you problem C:\windows directory. This is also similar to a result that step 2 would do.

I have seen and experienced problems with the windows shell before, this is also all the symontons of a known windows shell issues, the problem will continue to get worse over time, so PLEASE BACKUP ALL DATA BEFORE TAKING ANY OF THE STEPS I HAVE SUGGESTED

regards

Nitin Nand

jeudi 9 septembre 2010 12:05
  • Hahahaha! It's rare that someone would think that we're so far behind that we wouldn't know the difference between a problem and something within the shell!

No offense meant by the way!

Thank you for replying Darien, but it seems that this is something else. Whilst browsing the internet I've noticed that the entire start bar irregularly flashes until you either navigate away from the page you are on or you mouse over the flashing areas. And yes, it is the whole start bar, not just the notification area.

It is a very odd bug and I do hope that Microsoft have taken notice of it as it seriously annoys me when I'm reading something on the net only to be distracted by it!

Regards,
    Ibraheem

Yes you are correct it is with the windows explorer.exe the windows shell is the root cause.
    jeudi 9 septembre 2010 12:09