none
Print Spooler Windows 7(64 bit) problems

Question

• Yesterday I was able to go to service, find print spooler, right click & stop then go back in & start.  Worked perfect.  Today the printer as a troubleshoot icon (!) so I went to service, right click on print spooler, but can't stop (not even an option) & I get an error with Start:  #1053.  This has been happening for a couple of weeks?
    jeudi 14 février 2013 15:57

Réponses

• I figured out how to change the IP address on the HP printer.  I see that 192.168.1.3 is used for both printers.  Does it matter which printer I change (the new printer is Epson) & should I leave the "Auto or Manual" button to Manual?  It looks like I first change the printer, then turn off the printer, then the WiFi.  When I turn these both back on I am thinking I might have to add a printer to whatever computer/printer I changed.  The HP TouchSmart 520 doesn't know the Epson printer exists, which I think is a good idea for now.

Carol

lundi 18 février 2013 16:50

Toutes les réponses

• Click on the Start button and select Control Panel, Administrative Tools, Services. Locate Print Spooler in the list. Check that it has started and that the StartUp type is Automatic.

Check whether it has stopped and that just starting it does not solve the problem. If it is not set to Automatic right click and select Properties, General tab. There is a box after StartUp type. The options are available on a drop down by clicking on the arrow down to the right of the box. Make the change and click on Apply and OK. Restart the computer and check whether it has started.

You may need to show hidden files. Type Folder Options in the search box above the Start button and select View, Advanced Settings and verify that the box before "Show hidden files and folders" is checked and "Hide protected operating system files" is unchecked. You need to scroll down to see the second item. You should also make certain that the box before "Hide extensions for known file types" is not checked.

Now access Windows Explorer and select c:\windows\system32\spool\printers. Normally this folder should be empty but there is a problem when files with “spl” and “shd” extensions stick there. Delete the files and restart your computer. This may resolve your immediate problem.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itprohardware/thread/2b618d54-854a-4cfd-84f5-f069aad75a9f

Hope this helps, Gerry

jeudi 14 février 2013 18:44
  • I tried all of that & it worked - until I shut off the computer.  When I sign on & check the devices/printers I get the printer with the (!) troubleshoot icon.  I had already tried some of your ideas & they worked the first time I do it & re-start.  But the next time I turn on the computer it goes back to the error condition.  Now I can't even add the printer.
    jeudi 14 février 2013 23:51
  • Does the printer connect directly to the printer by cable or wireless?

Is the printer networked? If yes is it connected to another computer in the network?

What is the printer make and model?

Hope this helps, Gerry

vendredi 15 février 2013 00:54
  • The HP TouchSmart 520 is(was) connected via USB & the HP Pavilion dv9700 is wireless.  The printer is HP B210a.  The laptop (pavilion) has no problems with the printer.

Carol

vendredi 15 février 2013 16:04
  • Carol

As I understand what you are saying is that you have two computers using one printer. One computer connects by USB cable directly to the printer and the other has a wireless connection. This is a simple network.

What version of Windows 7 do you have on each computer? Is it Starter, Home Basic, Home Premium, Professional, Ultimate, Enterprise etc?

Hope this helps, Gerry

samedi 16 février 2013 00:56
  • Gerry - The computer that is USB direct to printer is Windows 7 Home Premium.  The laptop is Vista.  Yesterday I changed the name of the laptop (thinking maybe both computers were the same, but it turns out they weren't) and all day both computers were printing perfect.  I only changed the "regular" name where you access it from "Computer".  I think there is another computer name, but I can't find it.
    samedi 16 février 2013 14:40
  • Forgot another part of the story.  This morning the computer w/USB cable is back to the printer with (!) icon, hummmmmmmm
    samedi 16 février 2013 14:42
  • 1. Click Start, type “services.msc” and hit Enter.
    2. Scroll down to Print spooler.
    3. Right-click Print spooler, then select Properties.
    4. Select the Log On tab, and uncheck the Allow service to interact with desktop setting.

(Microsoft recommends that you do not change the Allow service to interact with desktop setting. If you allow the service to interact with the desktop, any information that the service displays on the desktop will also be displayed on an interactive user's desktop. A malicious user could then take control of the service or attack it from the interactive desktop).

5. Once you have uncheck this setting, select the General tab and click "Start" (the Print Spooler should be able to start without popping up the Error 1053 again).
    Source Gwen 2012
    http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/profile/fb3e08a2-3038-4a44-b173-a4122e98c9b3

Hope this helps, Gerry

samedi 16 février 2013 16:43
  • OK - so far that is working.  The instructions skipped the "Apply" before "Start" so I got the same 1053 error, but I caught on.  I'll see if it works for more than 1 day - Oh Boy!

Thanks, Carol

samedi 16 février 2013 22:46
  • Here's an update.  Yesterday I installed a new printer to use with the laptop when I take it with me.  I installed it when the problem computer & printer were off.  When I installed the new printer I got an IP address of 192.18.1.3 which I thought was OK but turns out it probably isn't.  Today I was using the laptop & new printer & the other computer & printer were on.  I got an error on the laptop saying there was another device with the same address - - - so........... I forgot how to find the address & can I re-address the devices?

Carol

dimanche 17 février 2013 20:05
  • I figured out how to change the IP address on the HP printer.  I see that 192.168.1.3 is used for both printers.  Does it matter which printer I change (the new printer is Epson) & should I leave the "Auto or Manual" button to Manual?  It looks like I first change the printer, then turn off the printer, then the WiFi.  When I turn these both back on I am thinking I might have to add a printer to whatever computer/printer I changed.  The HP TouchSmart 520 doesn't know the Epson printer exists, which I think is a good idea for now.

Carol

lundi 18 février 2013 16:50