none
Windows Security Centre Service gets Disabled Automatically, MSE gets Auto-Disabled, System Restore can't start.

Question

• I am running Windows 7 Ultimate. I have never had any issues with viruses or spyware on this machine.

• I have MSE installed but something has got it disabled automatically. I suspect it to be a virus or malware.
    • I keep getting a notification in the Action Center that the "Windows Security Center service is turned off". When I click the button to turn it on, I get a message that "WIndows Security Center Service can't be started."
    • I located the Security Center service under the services.msc and when I try to start it from there it does gets started but within a few seconds it gets disabled again. Next when I again attempt to start the service from services.msc it displayes an Error Code: 1058
    • Also the System Restore Utility has been turned off by whatever is causing this problem.
    • Untill recently, I used to get an unsusual annoying behaviour in all my web browsers, i.e. whenever I clicked on a link from any search engine, It would redirect me to a series of webpages almost ads, instead of opening the actual link.

The browser trouble seems to be resolved after I used Kaspersky Pure to scan my computer and it found a DLL file named PERFDISKL.DLL under C:\Windows\SysWOW64. The service used to initiate itself whenever I opened a web browser.

I have tried scanning my system multiple times using various anti-virus, anti-malware & anti-spyware, but none of them was a success. The programs that I used to scan are

1. MSE in Safe Mode, (latest update file dwnlded and installed separately.)
    2. Kaspersky PURE
    3. Malwarebytes Anti-malware
    4. SpyBot Search & Destroy
    5. AVG Free 2012

All these softwares are fully updated.

• Also tried the SFCScannow, and everything is fine there.
    • Activated the Hidden Administrator account and ran COMBOFIX, but no success.

Please help me. I don't want to do a fresh install on my laptop.

lundi 20 février 2012 18:36

Réponses

• Hi,

I would like to confirm whether you have a file named wscui.cpl in Windows\system32 folder? If it exists, double click it to run Security Center. If the file is missing, please copy it from another known computer. Also please check if there is anything valuable in Event log.

Based on my experience, this issue might be caused by the corrupted Windows Installer registry keys. I suggest that you export the registry keys from a working computer and import it on your machine.

The path of the registry keys is HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\wscsvc

Meanwhile, I noticed the following article about the similar error and would like to share with you for your reference:
    http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/itprovistasecurity/thread/c8845953-5e1a-40de-b79a-dda05bbf9488

Best regards,
    Della Li

• Marqué comme réponse Doctor Zeus lundi 27 février 2012 19:19
    vendredi 24 février 2012 08:05
  • I faced the same problem, no virus or malware infection, i guess some windows update broke the system.

You need to reinstall:

-Base Filtering Engine
    -Windows Firewall
    -Windows Security Centre

Please see message posted by Munshi Majid Ali in thread:
    http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/itprovistasecurity/thread/3cdfbb4b-c44d-4db0-976a-9c283fa75b2c

In short you need to import 3 reg files, change permissions and reboot.
    Worked nicely on my machine (window 7 x64 ultimate).

• Marqué comme réponse Doctor Zeus lundi 27 février 2012 19:18
    dimanche 26 février 2012 09:42
  • Hi

Thanks for all your help Della Li and Kakoskin. I combined the solutions that you provided me with. Below I'm gonna mention what exactly I did:

1. I copied the registry files from a working PC

• BFE
    • Firewall
    • Security Center

2. I copied the following DLL and CPL files from a working PC

• wscui.cpl
    • wscapi.dll
    • wscsvc.dll

3. I removed the existing above registry entries, DLL and CPL files. (Note: Do not remove the files, just change their name by adding .OLD extension to them. And also back-up your registry before updating your registry with the new entries.)

4. I then copied the files to C:\Windows\system32

5. Under the Services I checked if all the dependencies for the Security Center are set to Automatic. Ans set the Security Center to Automatic (Delayed). (Note: Delayed start is chosen so as to allow for the dependencies to be started upon system bootup.)

6. Then I rebooted my computer.

7. And Voilla.. the Security center is up and running. MSE is also running.

8. No create a System restore point. Follow the below steps to do that:

• Go to START -> My Computer's Properties
    • On the left side, click on System Protection
    • At the bottom of this new window click on Create and follow the instructions.

I hope this solution might help someone else also.

Doctor Zeus..

• Modifié Doctor Zeus lundi 27 février 2012 19:38
    • Marqué comme réponse Doctor Zeus lundi 27 février 2012 19:39
    lundi 27 février 2012 19:38

Toutes les réponses

• Hi,

Error 1058 for any Windows Component or Service has two reasons why it occurs:

1. Windows is infected by spyware or virus and the Service is Disabled.
    2. The Service has a corrupted or incorrect registry setting.

Regarding this issue, I suggest you try the following steps:

Step 1: Rerun the antivirus programs in Safe Mode.

Step 2: Try to reconfigure the log on user for the security center service. Refer the following link:

“The Security Center service can't be started” error on a Windows 7-based or Windows Vista-based computer

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2519899

For information about Security updates, visit the Microsoft Virus Solution and Security Center for resources and tools to keep your PC safe and healthy. If you are having issues with installing the update itself, visit Support for Microsoft Update for resources and tools to keep your PC updated with the latest updates.

Hope it helps.
    Della Li

mardi 21 février 2012 08:25
  • I did scanned my whole system in safe mode. But all scans came out clean. I also followed your suggestion and reconfigured the log on user for the security center service. But it also failed to solve my problem. I usually have only one antivirus, I have installed them only to try scanning to look for the virus/malware in my system. Its only onetime thing.

Doctor Zeus..

jeudi 23 février 2012 19:08
  • Hi,

I would like to confirm whether you have a file named wscui.cpl in Windows\system32 folder? If it exists, double click it to run Security Center. If the file is missing, please copy it from another known computer. Also please check if there is anything valuable in Event log.

Based on my experience, this issue might be caused by the corrupted Windows Installer registry keys. I suggest that you export the registry keys from a working computer and import it on your machine.

The path of the registry keys is HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\wscsvc

Meanwhile, I noticed the following article about the similar error and would like to share with you for your reference:
    http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/itprovistasecurity/thread/c8845953-5e1a-40de-b79a-dda05bbf9488

Best regards,
    Della Li

• Marqué comme réponse Doctor Zeus lundi 27 février 2012 19:19
    vendredi 24 février 2012 08:05
  • The wscui.cpl is there in Windows\system32\ but when I double click it, it opens the Action Center, which displays a red flag describing that the Security center is turned off and it must be turned on. When I attempt to turn it on, it doesn't get started.

Doctor Zeus..

samedi 25 février 2012 10:58
  • I faced the same problem, no virus or malware infection, i guess some windows update broke the system.

You need to reinstall:

-Base Filtering Engine
    -Windows Firewall
    -Windows Security Centre

Please see message posted by Munshi Majid Ali in thread:
    http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/itprovistasecurity/thread/3cdfbb4b-c44d-4db0-976a-9c283fa75b2c

In short you need to import 3 reg files, change permissions and reboot.
    Worked nicely on my machine (window 7 x64 ultimate).

• Marqué comme réponse Doctor Zeus lundi 27 février 2012 19:18
    dimanche 26 février 2012 09:42
  • Hi

Thanks for all your help Della Li and Kakoskin. I combined the solutions that you provided me with. Below I'm gonna mention what exactly I did:

1. I copied the registry files from a working PC

• BFE
    • Firewall
    • Security Center

2. I copied the following DLL and CPL files from a working PC

• wscui.cpl
    • wscapi.dll
    • wscsvc.dll

3. I removed the existing above registry entries, DLL and CPL files. (Note: Do not remove the files, just change their name by adding .OLD extension to them. And also back-up your registry before updating your registry with the new entries.)

4. I then copied the files to C:\Windows\system32

5. Under the Services I checked if all the dependencies for the Security Center are set to Automatic. Ans set the Security Center to Automatic (Delayed). (Note: Delayed start is chosen so as to allow for the dependencies to be started upon system bootup.)

6. Then I rebooted my computer.

7. And Voilla.. the Security center is up and running. MSE is also running.

8. No create a System restore point. Follow the below steps to do that:

• Go to START -> My Computer's Properties
    • On the left side, click on System Protection
    • At the bottom of this new window click on Create and follow the instructions.

I hope this solution might help someone else also.

Doctor Zeus..

• Modifié Doctor Zeus lundi 27 février 2012 19:38
    • Marqué comme réponse Doctor Zeus lundi 27 février 2012 19:39
    lundi 27 février 2012 19:38