none
Where are themes stored?

Question

• I set up a custom theme with some awesome pictures of city scapes and some custom colors, and saved it.  I know where I saved the theme (in my external hard drive), so I have the ability to send it to others.  But the theme (named 'Tale of Cities') is not showing up in the Personalization Options.  My 'Current Theme' is still 'Custom'.

Then I got to thinking, I've imported a bunch of themes, from the likes of Paul Thurrott, etc... and those are showing up in my Themes window, but I don't know where they're stored after I imported them.

So what I'm asking is...  If I have a theme file, and I want to add it to my collection without applying it right now, where do I put it so that Windows sees it and displays it in the Personalization list?
    lundi 2 février 2009 16:39

Réponses

• Okay I found out where... I deleted a theme (sends it to the recycle bin), then went into the Bin (which shows the original location of a deleted file).  I found out the theme was at...

C:\Users\Shawn Keene\AppData\local\Microsoft\windows\themes\Tale of Cities

The set of wallpaper images was in a subfolder, and the .theme file describing my color and other choices was in that root.

But this was an uncompressed version of the theme.  Apparently just having a bunch of .themepacks in your MyDocs folder won't cause them to be show in the Personalization Options.  You have to go. manually. open. each. one. and. wait. for. it. to. import. then. go. to. the. next. one.

What a horrible User Experience.
    • Marqué comme réponse Robinson Zhang mercredi 4 février 2009 06:57
    lundi 2 février 2009 16:56

Toutes les réponses

• Okay I found out where... I deleted a theme (sends it to the recycle bin), then went into the Bin (which shows the original location of a deleted file).  I found out the theme was at...

C:\Users\Shawn Keene\AppData\local\Microsoft\windows\themes\Tale of Cities

The set of wallpaper images was in a subfolder, and the .theme file describing my color and other choices was in that root.

But this was an uncompressed version of the theme.  Apparently just having a bunch of .themepacks in your MyDocs folder won't cause them to be show in the Personalization Options.  You have to go. manually. open. each. one. and. wait. for. it. to. import. then. go. to. the. next. one.

What a horrible User Experience.
    • Marqué comme réponse Robinson Zhang mercredi 4 février 2009 06:57
    lundi 2 février 2009 16:56
  • I am unable to find that folder. I can't find the AppData folder.
    samedi 14 novembre 2009 01:57
  • It's a virtual directory I think.  You can't browse to it by double-clicking folders, but you can get to it by typing it into the address bar.

samedi 14 novembre 2009 17:45
  • Go to Start / Control Panel / Folder Options / Click View Button at the top  / Click / Show Hidden Files and folders.
    Then Hit Apply / Ok / Then go back and check under C / Users / It should be there now.
    samedi 14 novembre 2009 23:28
  • All of my themes are in C:\Windows\Globalization\MCT
    dimanche 15 novembre 2009 07:03
  • It is a virtual directory. Do this:

click start, and look for run.

paste this: C:\Users\{USERNAME}\AppData\local\Microsoft\windows\themes\

just replace {Username} with your PC's name.

dimanche 12 juin 2011 20:23
  • C:\Windows\Resources\Themes
    lundi 13 juin 2011 13:18
  • That location is used for the theming engine for the Basic theme, not for a user's theme files.
    Shawn Keene
    lundi 13 juin 2011 14:12
  • To say this is a *horrible* UI experience is a real understatement.  I have a saved theme directory from another XP computer that I want to use...the directory itself contains the .theme file plus all the individual files (.wav, etc) required for the theme.  There is also a .zip file of the theme on this directory.     I tried double clicking on the them file and got "this theme cannot be used on the desktop.  Try another theme.

Any ideas?  I tried moving the .theme file itself to the location where I had saved a theme from the desktop..but that did not work.

Thanks!!

mercredi 13 juin 2012 13:23
  • The Themepacks (YourTheme.themepack) is a compressed file with all the files within and must be installed first. You don't have to place it in a specific location as you just need to browse to the file (USB, Network, etc.) and double click on the .themepack file. It will self-extract to "c:\users\yourusername\appdata\local\microsoft\windows\Themes\YourThemeName\" and install the theme for you. Then it will be visible and modifiable in your Personalization applet. If you want to see what it installed and you don't see the "AppData" folder, you must adjust your folder options to browse to this location to see the files. Warning: If you already have a custom theme installed that hasn't been saved, you want to save that theme before installing the new theme or you will not be able to reload your former custom theme.

I don't understand the negative UI comments as it took me 10 minutes to figure this out and I was importing a Windows 7 theme into a Windows 8 PC.

vendredi 3 mai 2013 21:42