none
task bar freezes, rest of computer fine

Question

• I have been having a serious problem lately involving my taskbar. When the computer starts everything is fine, until I try to click on my volume control. It pops up and then immediately disappears. After this happens, my taskbar is completely unresponsive. I click and click and click and all I get is the annoying da-ding sound. The start button works fine and the rest of the computer is fine, but I have to resort to using alt+tab to change between windows. Any solutions?
    lundi 16 juillet 2007 02:58

Toutes les réponses

• see if this tool helps http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/taskbarplus!.htm its for xp, but known to work on vista too. do create a system restore point first.
    mercredi 18 juillet 2007 15:59
  • Hi Taibant,

I have exactely the same problem you have with the famous ding sound. Even my start button does not work. Did you get a solution for it and if yes which one. Thanks for your help.

lundi 29 octobre 2007 23:42
  • I have the same problem as well. Changing sound using either the sound icon on the taskbar or the buttons on my keyboard freeze the computer. However, changing the sound in the Control Panel does not do anything.

I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling sound drivers and I still have the same problem. Any suggestions?

mardi 11 décembre 2007 19:13
    This is almost the same problem I am having. The computer works fine until I try and use the MS Search box (via Start) to search for a file. No search box appears and I find that this action has  frozen the Taskbar. Even the clock stops. I also find that some computer processes have slowed down to a crawl. The anti virus scanner is one. If I try to do a scan after this, it takes forever.Before trying to use 'File Search', the antivirus programe works fine. The rest of the computer seems unaffected.
    I can get everything back to normal by rebooting the computer, but I should be able to use File Search without this happening.
    Can anyone help ?
    dimanche 18 mai 2008 08:25
  • I am also having the same promblem, everytime i go to reopen msn messager it freezes, aslo messages dont show you when they are sent from friends, but show then the bar sorts it self out,

i am haveing the same promblem with the sound icon in the bar, it will disaper when msn is reopened and if i am listing to youtube ect.. and i wont to change the sound it will frezze... need help as it is getting very anoing :-(

mardi 24 mai 2011 19:30
  • Dude I have the exact problem and have now for the last 6 months...the worst part is it has happened on my studio cpu so productivity is sadly diminished.  I also use the alt + tab buttons to switch programs...this sooooo annoying and even more so bc this is a microsoft page and THEY don't even have a reply posted nor can I find one anywhere else.... ;(  Soooooooooo disappointed! Normally I can search and find anything...still I search....
    mardi 12 juin 2012 08:57
  • THIS WORKS!!!!! I HAD THE SAME PROBLEM!!!!! I FIXED IT WITH METHOD 2!!!!!!!!

Method 1 

Log off, and then log on to the computer. 

Method 2 
    Stop and then restart the Explorer.exe process. To do this, follow 
    these steps: 

1. Press CTRL+ALT+DEL. 
    2. Click Task Manager. 
    3. Click the Processes tab. 
    4. Click the explorer.exe process. 
    5. Click End Process, and then click End process. 
    6. Click the Applications tab. 
    7. Click New Task. 
    8. Type explorer in the Open box, and then click OK. 

mardi 12 juin 2012 09:07