none
How to fix "Windows not Genuine, Build 7601"

Question

• I have tried both cloning and recovering to my new SSD and get the "Windows not Genuine, Build 7601" BSOD.

Anyone have any ideas how to get past that to revalidate the OS on the new SSD?

I can do a clean install as this is a purchased from Microsoft OS disk and I have it, but my OS and Desktop have been painstakingly built fairly recently and I would prefer not to deal with rebuiding it from scratch.

Obviously Microsoft doesn't know what they are doing if they can't tell the difference between a genuine OS and a hacked one, but that is a subject for another day.

Perry

dimanche 21 août 2011 14:13

Toutes les réponses

• Windows 7 should be installed on an SSD, not cloned to an SSD.

You may be getting the not genuine notice because it was cloned.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    dimanche 21 août 2011 17:18
  • Yes, it can be installed as a fresh install, cloned or loaded as recovery from backup.  All will work and I have used each of them with little problem in the past.

This is the first BSOD I have that is caused by Microsoft.  

I tried both cloning and recovering since my Win 7 disks are an upgrade and don't load on a fresh hdd/ssd.

Perry

dimanche 21 août 2011 19:38
  • Have you tried just reactivating the OS?  The OS can detect when a certain amount of hardware has been changed and request re-activation.

If you found this post helpful, please give it a "Helpful" vote. If it answered your question, remember to mark it as an "Answer".

Rich Prescott | MCITP, MCTS, MCP

Blog | Twitter: @Arposh | Powershell Client System Administration tool
    dimanche 21 août 2011 20:36
  • The only reason that I can think that would cause for a BSOD is that Windows 7 uses TRIM on SSDs, and it could possibly panic at the fact that it has got some technology that wasn't there before. Also, if the SSD requires specific drivers that are required for the OS to work, and the OS doesn't have it, I can see that that will cause issues.

As for re-imaging onto a platform with changed hardware, I would advise against it due to the driver issues mentioned above.

hope this has helped

lundi 22 août 2011 16:02