none
not booting (not even Vista Install DVD): crcdisk.sys

Question

• Hello everyone and thanks for helping in advance!

Windows Vista Business won't boot anymore on my Lenovo Thinkpad T60. It came pre-installed, worked well so far but now will neither boot "normal" nor in one of the various "safe modes". It just hangs at the black screen with the green (moving) bar at the bottom). No CTL+ALT+DEL helps, after waiting for nearly an hour without change, I had to press the on/off button for 5s to switch off the laptop.

Heck, not even the Vista DVD boots anymore! The only hint that I have is that the command line startup stops at crcdisk.sys (logged booting does *not* write the ntbtlog.txt file). I did not touch the partitioning or the mbr, I did not install some software drivers before the reboot (well, to be honest, Photoshop Elements but could that prevent the system from booting?) and I did not attach new hardware.

What can I do now?

I *can* access the HDD by booting a Linux Live-CD (Knoppix) so the harddisk is present, is running and the files are still there (whew) but I can't get Vista booting again. Even a Vista Install CD created with Microsoft's Windows Automated Installation Kit will not boot.

What have I tried?

Tried various tips from the internet to get it working again but had no success:

• did not find working solutions in this forum or usenet
    • renaming Windows\System32\drivers\pcmcia.sys and Windows\System32\DriverStore\Filerepository\pcmcia.inf_7656654 did not help
    • deleting hiberfil.sys and pagefile.sys did not help
    • using 'sudo ntfsfix /dev/sda2' in knoppix said it fixed something, but it didn't help
    • checking hdd/memory/system komponents in linux showed no errors
    • plugging the exact same hardware in the exact same sockets where they were attached before shutdown didn't help
    • completely removing battery and power supply, waiting 5min. and after reconnecting the power tryingto reboot didn't work
    • changing BIOS settings (disabling legacy USB support) didn't help
    • removing the CD-ROM drive from the bay didn't help (no, there's no CD/DVD in the drive)

what now (and please: "reinstall" is not really an option for me)?

Some System specs:

Windows Vista Business, Kernel Version 6.0.6000.16386 (security patches up to date)

Lenovo ThinkPad T60, Model 2007QPG

Intel Core 2 Duo T7200

2GB RAM, 120GB 5400rpm HDD

ATI Mobility Radeon X1400

lundi 14 mai 2007 23:47

Toutes les réponses

• i find that sometimes vista will hang @ system shutdown or other and find to have a similar problem as you
    it seems to me that it hits something in the bios but i dont know what it is ??
    like you i cannot boot via CD/DVD ect
    however the only soloutin i have found is to clear Cmos and then boot bios and re-configer it again and all prob will be gone untill the next time vista hangs Sad
    mercredi 16 mai 2007 16:50
  • I have the EXACT same problem! I've been running Vista perfectly for the last couple of months (up until this Wednesday, May 15) and then one day when I got home from work it was stuck in a boot-crash-loop. I have not installed any (major) software or hardware lately and at the time of failure I wasn't even by the computer!

When I boot up there is a warning screen saying that there was some problems last time it booted. If I choose "start normal" it just reboots, if I choose "Failsafe-mode" it reboots after "crcdisk.sys". Booting from the Vista DVD doesn't work either. The screen just turns black (and stays black) after the first "Windows is loading files" progress bar.

Booting a live-CD with Linux works and from there I can see that my windows partition is alive and healthy. I can't see my raid-setup from Linux but I think that is because NVIDIA don't do MediaShield drivers for Linux. The Raid-bios says the striped setup is healthy though, and a broken raid array shouldn't affect windows in any case as long as Windows is installed on a separate disk.

What is going on here? I can't see anything pointing towards a hardware malfunction except for the fact that the Vista DVD does not boot. Reinstalling is an option (but I can't see how if the boot dvd is crashing...) but not loosing the raid-array if it's not broken. I even tried an old Windows XP boot disc and it is also crashing to a blue screen (some unknown disk error). On some forum I heard a suggestion that this can be the result of a hibernation gone horribly wrong? Is there anyway to check if that is the case? I thought I had all hibernation settings turned off though...

Thanks a million for any help!

System specs:

Windows Vista Home Premium (64-bit)

Intel Core 2 Duo 2.4 GHz

Asus P5N32-E SLI Plus (motherboard)

Asus GeForce8800 GTS 320MB

2GB RAM (Geil 2x1GB)

Western Digital Raptor 150GB (sata)

2x Samsung T166 500GB (raid) (sata)

Samsung SH-S183A DVD-burner (sata)

• Proposé comme réponse PANCHOY dimanche 13 septembre 2009 01:33
    jeudi 17 mai 2007 21:04
  •  

The "crc" of crcdisk.sys stands for "cyclic redundancy check" and combined with "disk" tells us the system is doing a crc check on the storage subsystem, and is finding serious errors, generally with the physical disk itself.  The problem of course, is when a different o/s or driver allows access to the disk.

Problems can also be caused by errors in the remainder of the server's firmware (data transmission problem), but again, we wonder why isn't the problem reproduceable with a different o/s.  The answer is crcdisk.sys does a more complete/complex check (because the windows o/s requires a higher degree of accuracy).

That the problem reproduces at exactly the same place on several machines, but is ultimately corrected in a different way points to a problem with the specific HW involved.  That is, some machines failing after loading this driver are ultimately fixed by replacing the drive, another by installing a specific storage driver - tells us the problem is specifically related to the specific hardware (not the specific hareware *type* involved).  A search through the web etc. will reveal several reports of problems at the same stage; rarely are they resolved in the same way.

Try running chkdsk /r from recovery console.  Make sure it completes cleanly *twice*

Description of the Windows XP Recovery Console
             http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/314058

Let us know the outcome, please!

samedi 19 mai 2007 03:20
  • I encountered this issue when upgrading from XP MCE2005 to Vista Home Premium, but what I forgot is that when booting in safe mode the listing shows the last SUCCESSFUL item loaded. I thought crcdisk.sys was the error, but found this was not the case.

I had disabled firewall and anti-virus from booting in XP (but the mistake as below was not to uninstall ZoneAlarm). On attempting the upgrade the final step was reached at 50% "Completing Upgrade", when PC would reboot then enter a cycle of boot and reboot. My problem was the BSOD flashed over the screen so quickly I couldn't see the true error. You need to be quick with F8 at boot to allow options to appear for booting, select the "disable automatic reboot on failure" (or words similar - sorry, PC now running so don't see this...) so that you can then observe the true error.

In my case crcdisk.sys was listed in the safe boot mode as loaded (ie final item in list therefore per se it has been successful not the error as I thought), whereas in BSOD error was srescan.sys PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA this turns out to be a file associated with ZoneAlarm Free (and possibly other versions) which will be removed if you uninstall ZoneAlarm. On doing this, installation proceeded without a fault when I started from scratch.... if you have ZoneAlarm etc installed, try uninstalling to see if this cures the issue.

I wish Safe Boot listed those files loaded and ALSO the one attempted at time of failure, it would have saved me many hours!

I hope this is helpful here or with installation issues which are being ascribed to crcdisk.sys

Cheers

Stuart

<a href="http://www.godmanchester.net">Godmanchester</a>

dimanche 20 mai 2007 16:14
  • Thanks for the quick response! Unfortunately the issue is still to be resolved. As I said in my first post my Vista DVD hangs right from the start and therefore never reaches any recovery console, or any kind of user input for that matter. My old Windows XP boot cd also crashes to a blue screen. Luckily I was able to borrow a Windows XP Service Pack 2 boot cd from a friend and with that cd I managed to get into the recovery console. But here's the catch: The recovery console asks for the password for the Administrator account. I guess this makes sense in XP where there is a Administrator account by default but on my Vista installation there has never been a Administrator account since the default Admin account was removed from Vista (for security reasons I belive). So here I am; an imaginary password away from getting any closer to a solution. I have of course tried everything from leaving the password blank to "Administrator" to all passwords I have used on the Vista machine. Is there a password that rules them all that could work for accounts that does not exist? How does the Vista recovery console do it? Because I also tried to switch to the vista DVD in the middle of the process but without success.

I have also tried numerous linux and dos recovery solutions but all I get from that is the suggestion to run chkdisk (at some places they suggest chkdisk /f)... Is there anyway to run chkdisk in any other way than from a Windows boot disc? Is it somehow possible to schedule it to run at next boot-up without logging into windows? Would it be any good to find a Windows 98 boot cd?

At Western Digital I got a bootable cd-image that runs a small utility that checks for disk errors and as expected my disk passed all test with no physical errors detected...

I'm running out of options here but I will try to switch the SATA optical drive to IDE drive since the SATA drive seems to through most dos utilities off and maybe could that resolve my problems with the boot discs as well. But please, any suggestion and information is helpful!

Thanks,

K

dimanche 20 mai 2007 23:17
  • Hey K-man,

You and I both anxiously await the response from your last message. I've spent countless hours trying to fix the same issue and have resolved nothing. I've contacted my computer manufacture and I too was advised to obtain a copy of Windows 98 and try deleting all the info on my hard drive including the portions where windows is installed by selecting the "drive options" on the windows 98 setup page. The problem is that I cant find anyone that still sells Windows 98. Dang, this option should be included in the vista setup page also.

mercredi 23 mai 2007 15:38
  • I ran into this problem today after resizing one of my NTFS partitions with GPartEd, a linux-based partition editor. I have a setup of 2 SATA drives (with x86 and x64 Vista installations), and I'd resized a partition on the drive from which the system is booted, after which I could no longer boot either installations. The DVD wasn't booting either.

I managed to solve this somehow by disabling my HDDs from the BIOS. I first disabled the first, which didn't work. Then I enabled the first and disabled the second, and it still didn't work. Then I enabled both, and voila, I could boot with the Vista DVD. After a repair from the DVD, I could successfully boot (after an automated file-system check).

So, try disabling the HDD or something.

jeudi 24 mai 2007 20:39
  • Very interesting! I have also made some progress, but unfortunately not with the same result. I installed an IDE DVD-drive which enabled a special rescue dos boot cd I downloaded (Hiren's Boot CD 9.0) to run. On it there were multiple recovery, HDD, MBR, and so on tools. Some seemed useful but none of the tools made the computer whole again. But after tying all the disk tools I found a password recovery tool that I ran for kicks and BAM I could enable the Administrator account and reset the password on my Vista installation. As I wrote in my last post I assumed the lack of an admin account was stopping me from running the XP SP2 recovery console. True enough the admin account hack worked (how about that for security!) and now I finally could get into the recovery console! In the first run with chkdsk (/r) a bunch of errors were found and corrected. I kept running it for maybe four or five runs before I rebooted but still the same result!!! Nothing but reboots! Total happiness and devastation in the same night...

I booted back into the recovery console and looked at the other tools and there were two more interesting tools: FIXMBR and FIXBOOT. They both sounded exactly like what I needed so I ran them both. That turned out to be a big mistake because now I can't even get to "Do you want to boot in safe mode"-menu. It just says "NTLDR is missing. Press CTRL+ALT+DELETE ro restart" when I try to boot from hard drive. Running CHKDSK or any of the other tools doesn't make a difference.

I'm really running out of patience here. I can still get access to all my files and content from both dos and linux tools so the only solution I can see is to connect a large USB drive and try to backup as much as possible and then wipe everything and hope for the best.

It is somewhat encouraging that someone has managed to resolve this issue but how did you "disable" you hdds? I have tried to turn my SATA controller on and off from bios but with no different result. In other words the Vista DVD hangs even though there is nothing but a USB thumb stick and a IDE DVD drive connected!! That is very scary and makes me believe in curses and monsters. I have tried to reset my bios multiple times through loading default values etc but maybe I need to REALLY reset it somehow. Any ideas? And Microsoft please get back into the discussion!

jeudi 24 mai 2007 22:03
  • I disabled the HDDs from the standard CMOS settings in my BIOS. It defaults to auto-detecting attached HDDs, so I disabled that and set them to "None"...I imagine this would differ per BIOS, though.

Another thing that I tried, that could've had an effect on getting things fixed, was to leave the DVD boot for a long time...I left it for 30 minutes after I got that blank screen, and when I came back it had a mouse cursor. 10 or so minutes after that, it displayed that green/blue Vista background behind the cursor. I restarted after that because I got bored, and did the HDD disabling thing, and then it worked.

Perhaps the DVD boot was doing something in those 40 minutes or so I left it that made it work. I have no idea. The worst thing about this situation is that there are no error messages or whatever..it's just black magic!
    vendredi 25 mai 2007 15:22
  • I had the same problem. somebody said it is SATA driver error, so I change the registry settings, (http://www.intel.com/support/chipsets/imsm/sb/CS-025783.htm), and (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922976), but My vista still crashing. XPE can boot normally but VistaPE crashing.

so I sure that Vista is a RUBBISH!!!!! Return the Vista CD back to M$,and tell your friends far away from vista!!!!

samedi 26 mai 2007 07:41
  • Now I've tried leaving it booting (from DVD) for hours (over night) but still no mouse cursor or anything :-( Can't get the disabling trick to work either. What kind of setup do you have Muhammad?
    mardi 29 mai 2007 11:43
  • Ok I will give you what I know from my experience.

First most rescue disk and other programs will not boot correctly if you have more than 2 active partitions on the harddrive, have more than 4 partitions including and extended partition with several partitions in it.

Second Vista uses a different bootloader and thus creates a 'custom' mbr, which if modified by any standard mbr tool will cause vista not to boot. Also because of this some other CD's will not boot if they check the mbr.

Third, as of yet there are no tools that will allow you to resize or check the NTFS drive of a vista machine. If any program other than vista checks or makes any changes (including XP rescue console) to the drive such as chkdsk this may hang vista.

fourth, many computers now include a recover partition most of the time this should be hidden, but sometimes may become active and cause problems booting.

So these things make it more difficult to work with. I would recommend you check out the articles on dual boot with vista, as these help you understand where your system is probably hanging at.

mercredi 6 juin 2007 18:09
  • I had exactly the same problem. I've been able to reproduce it at will. It does seem to be related to the SATA drives from what I can tell though.

After the problem occurs, I boot to an XP cd and remove the partitition. Then I can boot to Vista and either restore (Symantec Ghost) or resinstall Vista. When I restore, I found I could recreate the problem at will. If I remove Acronis Backup from the control panel, the system does this at the next boot. Something about the removal is restoring something (I'm guessing an older version of crcdisk maybe) that causes this immediately.

Can anyone else trace it down like this? If I don't do this uninstall, the system stays healthy.

dimanche 10 juin 2007 02:06

• Same problem here, I last used my HP Pavilion dv9000 laptop a day ago, with no problems.  Normal shutdown, no new software loaded, and nothing more than a USB mouse plugged into the computer.

My next attempt to start the computer met with the above described black screen right after the green loading bar disappears.

Attempting to boot in safe mode shows that the computer is hanging at crcdisk.sys.  Nothing that I have attempted seems to fix the problem.  Still looking for a restore disk for the computer, but I really don't want to have to re-intall.

thanks

jeudi 14 juin 2007 01:11
  •  

consider

(from another post)

delete sptd.sys from <WINDOWS>\System32\Drivers\.

This driver was installed by DAEMON Tools. Vista fails to load if you are trying to install it over XP with old DAEMON Tools installed. 

To solve the problem download and install latest DAEMON Tools before upgrading your OS.

OR (if you are already in progress of Vista installation and have this problem) load from your bootable Windows Vista CD and choose to restore.  Tnen choose 'other options' and go to console. Then go to <WINDOWS>\System32\Drivers\ and delete sptd.sys. Now restart. Vista will load fine after it and continue installation.

Another consideration:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923332

Finally are the SATA drives and their contollers mentioned in these posts on the HCL?

http://winqual.microsoft.com/hcl/

http://winqual.microsoft.com/HCL/ProductList.aspx?m=v&g=d&cid=1003&f=86p

samedi 16 juin 2007 03:39
  • I am seeing the same thing when I uninstall Acronis Easy Migrate. After rebooting I get the crcdisk.sys error on two different machines. It is something they are doing on their uninstall but I a at a loss as to what to try next.

Any ideas?

Update: I finally managed to solve my problem. I'm not sure if it will be the same solution for everyone, but since the instructions are pretty long I wrote up the whole solution on my blog: http://www.carrollzone.com/Blog/post/2007/06/Acronis-Uninstall-caused-Vista-to-BSOD-with-0x0000007B-in-crcdisksys.aspx

• Proposé comme réponse Mark514 mercredi 20 janvier 2010 17:22
    mercredi 20 juin 2007 00:00
  • I just bought a new computer thinking Vista was going to be a good time to do so.  I get it installed, and it runs a couple times, then I get the BSOD during startup and then it immediately restarts.  I can't even read the BSOD because it goes away so quickly.  I insert the Vista disk to run diagnostics and it tells me it can't figure it out and wants to send info to MSFT.  Are you kidding?  I then search for some answers and find MANY people having the same or similar issues and the dates of the posts go back months.  Then, I see Microsoft people commenting with useless ideas.  I know everyone says MSFT is a big bad monster, but this proves it.  I'm totally fed up.  Can no one offer an explanation for this?  You're telling me its ok to charge people for this *** and then mums the word on why I can't even boot my computer?  MSFT better hope Google doesn't make a decent OS, or better yet, brand and support some flavor of Linux.  It's easy to point the finger and say there's something wrong with each individuals hardware configuration, but at some point you have to sack up and say that there is indeed an issue, and we're working on it.

How about this MSFT:  You get back to me when you figure this out.  I'll be at work, using 100 of your other products which we so graciously purchased from you, since we, the consumers, are what enables your business to thrive.  If you want to shake the stigma of the big bad monster, you have to start somewhere, and soon.

Oh yeah, one more thing.  I found this site from Google.  MSN Live Search sucks.
    mercredi 20 juin 2007 04:37

• My Sony SZ-450N is less than a week old - and just today I seem to have encountered the same error discussed here.
    Interestingly, when I booted up my computer this morning it did start up - but it took over 5 minutes to do so (a long time getting to the windows login screen, and another long while after the password was entered). This was disturbing, and once in windows things were normal except that it now showed that I had 30GB free on my hard disk. As of yesterday I had >10GB. The previous night the computer was running fine, and shut down normally.

Upon restarting the machine it failed to boot, hanging on (like everyone else) crcdisk.sys and flashing a BSOD before restarting. I haven't added any new hardware and the computer shipped with Vista Business preloaded (and was, save for a few random annoying explorer.exe crashes, working fine). I cannot boot the computer in safe mode, using a dvd, etc.
    Disabling the automatic restart on boot failure allows me to read it: the error says 'unmountable boot disk' stop: 0x000000ED (0x858A0688, 0xC000009C, 0x00000000, 0x00000000).

Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

Jackson

lundi 25 juin 2007 07:14
  • I finally managed to solve my problem. I'm not sure if it will be the same solution for everyone, but since the instructions are pretty long I wrote up the whole solution on my blog: http://www.carrollzone.com/Blog/post/2007/06/Acronis-Uninstall-caused-Vista-to-BSOD-with-0x0000007B-in-crcdisksys.aspx

I hope it helps solve someone else's headache too.

• Modifié Mark514 mardi 16 décembre 2008 04:18
    lundi 25 juin 2007 15:36

• Thanks for your idea Mark... but it failed in my case.
    In the registry editor I couldn't access the C: drive. When I went back to the command prompt, an attempt to view it's contents simply gave me: "cyclic redundancy check error".
    I finally gave up and tried to reinstall vista... but for some reason the whole process hangs and I can't even do that! Time to return the box for a new one I suppose, rather than make my head explode
    jeudi 28 juin 2007 18:55
  • I exactly had the same problem. Did't have Vista CD nor Linux Boot CD. Could fix my Lenovo 3000 this way:

1. During boot up I pressed f11 - Lenovo Recovery came up

2. Chose Internet - Opera browser started

3. Typed C: at the address bar

4. Navigated to C:\Windows\System32 directory

5. Ran cmd.exe - command promt opened

6. Typed chkdsk /f + enter (ran it several times, tried boot up many times too) . It said at the last rounds that there were no problem. (chkdsk /r seems more thorough maybe try both)

After several rounds it booted up suddenly.

mercredi 4 juillet 2007 03:40
  • Found a potential solution on the Ubuntu forums:

I know this sounds like an odd solution but it has worked for me each time I've done it. I had the same problem. Installed Ubuntu 6.10 on a working Vista system only to find that Vista would not boot.

This solution requires that you have an XP CD, since Vista CD/DVD will not boot the system either. Go figure.

Boot from the XP CD and choose the system repair option (not the recovery console). It will scan your disk and ask you which installation you want to repair. Choose 1 since it will probably be the only option. It will prompt you for the administrator password for the account. Type in anything as it will certainly fail anyway. Enter the password three times. This will force the XP installer to make a write attempt to the NFTS partition. At this point, the system is as good as fixed.

Next, reboot, choose your Vista installation from Grub. Do the safe mode with command prompt option. The system will load a bunch of drivers and stop at crcdisk.sys. Leave it here for a minute. The drive should light up for a couple of minutes then the system will reboot. Choose Vista again and do a normal boot from the Vista boot menu.

All fixed! Of course, ymmv. But this has worked for me several times. Only gotcha is that you do need an XP CD.

Will try this and see if it works - I'm in the same bind.

dimanche 8 juillet 2007 03:01
  • It worked. ... This leaves several questions glaring and unanswered, but it worked. I wrote that last entry from Ubuntu, this one's from Vista (with love).
    dimanche 8 juillet 2007 03:21
  • H Guys

I've had similar problems for the past few days. For some reason, Vista just stopped working. One day fine, the next, it wouldn't boot at the black screen with the white mouse cursor. I couldn't get into safe mode either, as the same problem occurred, so i was stumped. I tried a few days of looking through the forums etc, even contacted dell (my computers manufacturer), but they wouldn't touch it as it was a "software" issue as opposed to a "hardware" issue.

I eventually stumbled on the solution. I'm guessing most of you have already tried this, but in case you haven't, i thought i'd post here and try and see if it can help anyone else.

It's a fairly simple thing actually (so siple, i'm a bit embarressed i didn;t try it sooner!). I inserted the Vista DVD in the DVD drive and rebooted. Then i pressed F12 to get to the boot menu and chose the one about CD/DVD drive (sorry, can't remember the exact term). This then booted the Vista DVD. After selecting language etc,  it then gives a few options, one of which is Repair Computer. Click on this and then a list of options comes up, one of which is System Restore (which is why i was initially trying to get into Safe mode for). I performed this, rebooted and "hey presto", Vista boots up again!!

It turns out that the only changes to the computer in the last few days before the problems was made though Windows Update. Thanks Microsoft, another stellar job. Only took me 4 days to figure out!!!

Hope this helps!

Cheers

Jon

mardi 10 juillet 2007 08:11
  • Well I tried your solution and now I think I'm worse off. Not only can I still not boot up properly, but I've lost the ability to choose Vista at boot, which makes little sense since I never entered a correct password so there wasn't anything to choose to install.

I should also note that when I started trying to fix this again today, it somehow booted up perfectly. I tried recreating the event but no luck. I managed to delete the Daemon tools file and hoped that would do the trick so I foolishly rebooted.

I have a feeling this could be easily fixed if I could actually access the Vista recovery console. But upon inserting the DVD, I can't get past the language screen. I have no cursor or anything and I can't tell if it's frozen or somehow not detecting my devices (I've tried USB and ps/2, no difference).

Any ideas?

Edit: Figured out the partition thing. Forgot about the grub bit. So now I'm just back to square one. Garrrrrrrrrrrrr
    jeudi 12 juillet 2007 18:15
  • Well it turns out the bane of my existence is my Creative XFI soundcard. I've had so many problems with Creative sound cards, I don't know why I haven't learned to stay away.

Thanks everyone for the help. I imagine, with all the viewings this thread has received, it'll help a lot more people. So here's another solution: throw out your Creative sound cards. UGH.
    vendredi 13 juillet 2007 17:55
  • Hi K-man. i had the same problem blue screen and loop booting for no reason . last time i shutdown my pc i didnt install nothing except Vista updates via automatic update

crcdisk.sys was making my pc crash

to resolve the problem :

boot with your vista , at the first installation screen only press next, then on the second screen check on the botom for : repair windows vista

then you will see your windows vista installation, simply press on next for repair, maybe the setup will ask you for a confirmation to load an previous windows states

if you dont see your windows vista installation in this box. will good luck Smile

it solve the problem for me in 2 min

Frank

samedi 14 juillet 2007 22:16
  • A variation on this idea worked for me.  I booted off my XP CD and went through the process, but did not receive the option to repair Vista.  I gave up, restarted the computer, but something new happened on the reboot.

Normally I received the grub boot screen, but this time it went straight to a Windows black screen that gave me two options: 1) repair, 2) boot Windows normally.

I tried to boot normally and somehow Windows went through a chkdsk and then booted properly.  Everything seems to be working now, except that the grub boot screen is no longer available.  The computer boots straight to Vista.

I had originally planned on dual booting Ubuntu and Vista, but my wireless card doesn't work, and that, combined with the lost grub partition, means that the Linux partition will be formatted and put on the back burner until ndiswrapper supports Vista drivers.
    jeudi 19 juillet 2007 03:13
  • Hello...

I am experiencing the same problem... 

I recently downloaded DirectX 10 - and started to experience some graphical related issues...  I tried to correct these with different video drivers and updates - this did not work...  I then tried a system restore...  During the system restore - the computer rebooted - it went through the boot process, it loaded drivers, then instead of going to the login screen it goes to a black screen with a movable mouse cursor... 

It doesn't matter if I boot up in safe mode, debugging mode, regular mode - I always end up with the black screen and a movable mouse cursor...

I upgraded from Windows XP Pro 64-bit to Windows Vista Ultimate 64-bit using the digital download from windowsmarketplace.com...  So, I do not have a Vista DVD...

Any help would be appreciated...
    jeudi 26 juillet 2007 00:31
  • I figured it out on mine.....i used the Vista Recover CD to open a command prompt....go to c:\windows\system and run
    bootrec /fixmbr      and   bootrec /fixboot

Everything works fine now.
    samedi 28 juillet 2007 10:43
  •  

wow...you really are sure of yourself.  Let's start with this

When somethings working fine...and you install some *** program (norton, McAfee whatever!) and it stops working...its "MSFT"'s fault?  just because the OS wont load?  that seems kinda stupid to say that now dosen't it...

another thing,  you probably upgraded to vista, big mistake.  don't be cheap, if XP was messed up due to installing and uninstalling programs (which is will!!!) then you upgrade and migrate those problems...they usually become bigger.

and MANY people,  is because MANY people don't know how to use computers, and keep them clean, they install *** on thier computers that isn't compatable (and its NOT!!! Microsoft's job to make someone elses software compatable.) then thier computers crash...wow...again, that makes sense dosen't it!!!!

as for the bluescreen, there is an option to PAUSE it on the screen so you can read it.  then you can do research and find out what *** Roxio or McAfee program caused your computer to crash.    Again,  how does something start off working fine, then all off a sudden stop working...dosen't make sense, that's because IT CANT! it either dosen't work from the start, or it does. in your case, it did,  so some other company is at fault, or just you. not reading or doing research.

and as you your last comment,  if you dislike Microsoft so much, STOP USING THIER PRODUCTS!

samedi 4 août 2007 05:31
  • In my case, I just went through Microsoft update, click on the raid driver. Which didn't install correctly. The next thing I know, I have the same error that almost everyone on this posting has.

I started with a clean install, so the problem wasn't what you are implying with your comments. The problem itself came right from Microsoft. I spent 6 hours re-installing Vista because of a corrupt driver from them. Who’s fault is that? Mine, some third party? Just plain Microsoft.

By the way, my computer doesn't display a blue screen just a message stating that the boot loader is corrupt. I got that from trying the some of the suggestions on the forum. It appears that when you have a corrupt raid driver, that vista can't handle it. The only fix I have found is a fresh install.

Speaking of a fresh install, since the Vista installer doesn't support serial ATA DVD drives, I have to borrow an IDE DVD drive from a friend, crack open my computer just to fix the mess caused by Microsoft. Not to mention the fun that is involved with installing Vista on a raid array. I have no idea how a newbie could install vista on a machine with one piece of non-standard hardware, let alone a normal user.

Go check the forums out there, Vista is not hardware friendly. Stop being mean to people who are just trying to find a solution to a problem that they may or may not have caused.

By the way, most of us are stuck using Microsoft products. What alternative do you have if you want to play games, use certain software, or work on documents that were generated by office, which is a very popular program. The frustration comes from people trying to use a product that does not perform as expected, or advertised. I personally like XP way better than Vista at the moment, I have had less trouble with XP.

Here is a good example of why people don't like microsoft, just try reading these forums with firefox.

vendredi 17 août 2007 10:15
  • Why worry?

You're so upset - leads me to thinking, that you were as happy as I was, spending a tremendous amount of money for a nice painted Window without the Window-pain, but a lot of other pain in it...

Look, there are so many complaints about this OS - it just is true that i.e. not one HP-driver worked, financial software is blocked to send it's data to the financial offices, helpfiles do not work anymore, syncing PDAs wont do, the auto shutoff ends in bluescreens, upgrading to another grfx card ended me up in looking for this crc-thing here; this is really NOT my fault! - do I really have to list all the probs just I had? There are more crashes and hangs than I had in 6 years using XP.

My notebook gave up trying to install Vista, I had to buy a new disk finally; it works fine with ubuntu now...

So don't worry, things do just happen. And again, don't worry - there will be less and less people moaning about Vista, cause they just delete it.

And finally, YES - this IS the last Microsoft-product I've bought.

ZunShing

P.S. As a chief of the OS department I would have fired the crew or let them work on all the errors BEFORE the OS is launched and sold as a banana-product that ripes at the customers house....

P.P.S:

Good idea with the XP-CD, recovery mode and so on - IF you have a SP2 XP-CD. Otherwise the recovery console will definetly not work. Yes there is a workaround by installing the XP-SP2 files and Tools with the new recovery files.  But would you try this on a Vista system?

P.P.P.S. About having Linux simultaniously on one system with Vista - runs shivers down my backbone... The PC I'm talking about just has Vista running on RAID 5 - so, anyone have a clue how to solve this?

vendredi 14 septembre 2007 15:23
  • I was running Linux.  Sabayon to be precise.

I installed a fresh hard drive, and installed Vista Ultimate.

On reboot, the system hung.  Safe mode indicates crc checkdsk was the last item loaded or loading.

The only work-around for me is to unplug my sata drive that has the Linux on it, then the Ide drive with Vista will boot.

This is the second time I have found Vista to be buggy especially where there are sata/ide configurations with Linux.

The old urban myth is keep upgrading the OS until the competition stops working with it...

mardi 18 septembre 2007 15:26
  • Hi all

Had the same problem as everyone here, rebooting Vista and stop at crcdisk.sys. Luckily my problem was solved by leaving an XP CD (!) in my DVD-drive during safe mode boot up and followed by a system restore to earlier the day before the problems occured I have now got a functional Visa OS again. Wierd.

samedi 27 octobre 2007 12:59
  • Who ever designed this site should be locked up and starved to death and all I see is new thread. And "ts NOT!!! Microsoft's job to make someone elses software compatable" .... come on, if it worked with xp and doesnt with vista... thats all on M$.

Problem-

I was having some trouble with my audio drivers (no sound when using enhancments such as SRS) so I decided to reinstall my drivers. Simple enough right? Well I went to dell.com downloaded the correct drivers, uninstalled the old and installed the new. Restart. Oops? After the splash screen with the microsoft logo it just sits with a black screen and my mouse. I can control my mouse but no commands will work. So I did the following... (and I've already contacted dell and thanks to a tech support genius from India (out-sourcing jobs, way to go dell!)) it is worse than it started out(I'll explain).

(all of this was done in safe mode which still works)
    1. tried last known good configuration
    2. system restore to before i uninstalled the original driver
    3. virus/spyware scan
    4. registry fixer
    5. checked the HDD for errors
    6. tried to boot from DVD to use the repair function but vista now will not boot from the install DVD either again stays on the splash screen (this time a vista theme wall-paper but still just the mouse and nothing happening)

So I called Dell tech support and they had my uninstall my video driver (7600GT 163.69), I restarted and no help. They then had me go to BIOS and load defaults which causes me to get a "diskette drive 0 seek failure" every time I start the computer and I presume my media card reader does not work because windows update installed a floppy disk driver isntead. After loading defaults it still will not boot. After giving me the run around the tech said he would have to email me a solution when they researched the problem further. BUT MY PC STILL WILL NOT BOOT! I have don everything I can think of. I looked online and the only suggestion I have found is let it sit long enough to work itself out... so its been sitting about an hour now and still on a pitch black screen with the mouse in the middle.

Any suggestions?

My specs-
    AMD Athlon X2 5600+
    2GB 667Mhz Ram
    320GB WD HDD (two 150GB partitions)
    XFX 7600GT
    crappy dell mobo (nForce 410 i think)[audio is intigrated suposidly 7.1 HD audio)

P.S. I'm tired of troubleshooting vista, it seems like every time I get everything working right another major problem pops up. I have re-installed vista so many times that my copied cds will not play due to the 10 liscence download limit on WMA format. Last time I ever use windows media player to copy a cd. Microsoft has really dropped the ball on vista. I love the new features (especially start menu search[btw that will be in SP3 of XP, if only I had known!]) but it looks like M$ dropped a beta on us and we were stupid enough not to wait for SP1. As always the early adopters get burnt. I am a gamer and DX10 is only on vista so for the future its the only option. I am ranting here but M$ goes so far to protect the big media corperations that they burn the end user's performance with tons of anti-piracy *** built into the OS. I am no pirate and I don't agree with the pirates but when it comes to hurting the performace of my PC thats crossing the line. With vista M$ sold out big time and even after selling out they only delivered a so-so at best OS. Not to mention, the vista certified scandal watch out if it says vista ready/certified I have found "vista ready" devices and software that "works with vista" are at best a 50-50 shot. After paying 200-400$ for an OS (Does anyone else think that price is rediculous by the way?) needless to say I was certianly expecting more. Until Google releases an open source OS there will be nothing better. Sad.

samedi 3 novembre 2007 14:41
  • Mark 514 

Thanks for your post. Worked like a charm...

samedi 17 novembre 2007 17:11
  • So, You're going to go with "it's a hardware problem".  No, it is not a hardware problem.
    The closest it comes to being a hardware problem is this: MS SOFTWARE is not running my HARDWARE.
    Boot hangs at crcdisk.sys load.
    I am experiencing this problem with VISTA, but I am currently running my computer with another OS and have no problem accessing the SATA drive other than having to tell the OS to disregard the fact that the (ntfs) journaling Windows partition is marked as in use (unclean unmount, bad shutdown, or something may have caused this). I have already spent hours creating a custom Windows PE disk (by the way - thanks alot MS for removing the bootsector recovery tools from the AIK without telling anyone - it's still in the documentation for Pete's sake).
    This recovery disk did boot and function - fixing the mbr and bootsector once I added the neccessary tools from the (virtually useless) HP recovery partition.
    Now, however, the custom WinPE disk will not even load the RE (recovery environment). There is nothing wrong with the WinPE disk.
    Will a MS rep please research and answer this post with a *solution* instead of writing only to deny responsibility?

I paid for Vista, I put up with MS handicapping my ability to work on my own machine, I have other options for desktop OS and productivity and I am getting impatient. Try satisfying your customers, MS.
    lundi 19 novembre 2007 22:12
  • In my case, the safe mode doesn't even boot. Vista install DVD doesn't boot neither.

Check my solution here.

http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2442925&SiteID=17&mode=1

mercredi 21 novembre 2007 22:46
  • Hi,

i had the crcdisk problem with an fsc Lifebook E notebook.

chkdisk and repair options did not help,

then i removed an inserted sd card an the system booted normally.

seems to be an checksum error, but i dont know why it occurs when memory cards are inserted.

mardi 5 février 2008 09:54
  • Had the same problem with Vista not booting and stopping at crcdisk.sys with BSOD. Even booting from DVD wasn't possible anymore and system recovery didn't start either.
    I was able to solve the problem by putting the harddisk into an external case, hooked it up to another computer and ran a complete chkdsk which found a bad sector. After that I put the disk back into the old computer and Vista booted up as before.
    My next computer is going to be a Mac!
    mardi 12 février 2008 06:26
  •  Jan Poehland wrote:
    Had the same problem with Vista not booting and stopping at crcdisk.sys with BSOD. Even booting from DVD wasn't possible anymore and system recovery didn't start either.
    I was able to solve the problem by putting the harddisk into an external case, hooked it up to another computer and ran a complete chkdsk which found a bad sector. After that I put the disk back into the old computer and Vista booted up as before.
    My next computer is going to be a Mac!

I having same problem after installing SP1. I had to use Vista DVD, go into recovery and rollback to previous restore. Any help in installing SP1 greatly appreciate it.

Thanks

lundi 18 février 2008 20:05
  •  

Hello,

It seems that I have a similar problem - I read through this thread, but when it comes to problem solving, I am totally computer illiterate - I don`t know what a safe mode etc. is.

Here is what happened: After a work session I put my laptop (HP, Vista home premium 32bit, 13 months old), into the usual sleep mode and I remember seeing something about updates installation. As I hit the enter button too fast to really read that, I had the rude awakening to 3 high pitched beeps upon trying to resume my work.

Ok, as nothing happened, ust black screen, I force quit the machine, swtched on again - nothing, 3 high pitched beeps, black screen. I am helpless, don`t know what to do. I am writing this from an older already retired laptop. I would be most grateful for any suggestion on how I could revive my laptop, even if it is only for data recovery. Luckily most of it is backed up, but only most and 13 months is too short of a laptop lifetime to ustify the purchase of a new one...

Thanks in advance!

tama

mercredi 9 avril 2008 08:50
  • I am on my fourth redition of this problme, it seems that when MS deciedes to update vista with one of its bug patches, they tend to cause this problem.  I am currently running a raid array, and I think that when they write their patches, they seem to ignore SATA drives and let the end user fix the mess that they cause.

What I usually do is put in the Vista DVD, and let the computer boot from it.  Then I let it do the automatically fix errors option.  So far it has worked two out of three times.  The one time it didn't work, I had to re-install it from scratch.  This means that you have to re-install all of your programs.  For you, installing vista should be pretty easy, your laptop should have come with a recovery disk.  The bad part is that if you haven't backed up any of your personal data to an external drive, it will all be gone.

John
    mercredi 9 avril 2008 15:33
  • Well, just a small update - looks like a serious hardware problem (motherboard?) on my lovely HP pavilion laptop, only 13months old.

HP japan (I live here) refuses to help me, as I bought the laptop in Singapore. I did inquire about possible assistance when in japan at the time of purchase. Looks like I was promised the impossible!

Same thing happened last year when another foreign bought laptop crashed and I couldn't find help here. That incident prompted the HP purchase in Singapore. I wonder if any company offers worldwide assistance ...

My next computer will be an Apple for sure! I lost loads of expensive software, that I can't install on my old machine for system limitations and will not be able to install on a mac.

Luckily only some data was lost as I have most of them in back up external hard discs.

tama,

disappointed in Nagoya

jeudi 10 avril 2008 12:57
  •  xPosed wrote:

wow...you really are sure of yourself.  Let's start with this

When somethings working fine...and you install some *** program (norton, McAfee whatever!) and it stops working...its "MSFT"'s fault?  just because the OS wont load?  that seems kinda stupid to say that now dosen't it...

another thing,  you probably upgraded to vista, big mistake.  don't be cheap, if XP was messed up due to installing and uninstalling programs (which is will!!!) then you upgrade and migrate those problems...they usually become bigger.

and MANY people,  is because MANY people don't know how to use computers, and keep them clean, they install *** on thier computers that isn't compatable (and its NOT!!! Microsoft's job to make someone elses software compatable.) then thier computers crash...wow...again, that makes sense dosen't it!!!!

as for the bluescreen, there is an option to PAUSE it on the screen so you can read it.  then you can do research and find out what *** Roxio or McAfee program caused your computer to crash.    Again,  how does something start off working fine, then all off a sudden stop working...dosen't make sense, that's because IT CANT! it either dosen't work from the start, or it does. in your case, it did,  so some other company is at fault, or just you. not reading or doing research.

and as you your last comment,  if you dislike Microsoft so much, STOP USING THIER PRODUCTS!

Just wundering about a couple of things in your post.

1. How do you pause the BSOD. when I get one it seems to show for 1 or 2 seconds and I have yet to see a puase button. Pehaps you could be helpful and discribe how to do this for us less educated users.

2. Do you work for MS or MSFT or own shares in them or something?

samedi 26 avril 2008 14:52
  • Had the same problems!!The solution is very simple guys...

disable the TurboCache Settings and set the drive in simple ATA mode from BIOS.

Wink

Have a nice format! Wink

mercredi 7 mai 2008 23:22
  • Hei,

same here, my solution was:

1) Rename crcdisk.dll to crcdisk.dll.old

2) Copy pcmcia.dll to crcdisk.dll

(used a USB-adapter to connect the disk to another notebook)

3) Boot windows with command line and start chkdsk /f

4) Reboot again, log on to Vista

5) Delete crcdisk.dll again

6) rename crcdisk.dll.old to crcdisk.dll

7) reboot again - voila

Don't know the cause of the problem but i uinstalled the password manager from Lenovo today without rebooting at once - and rebooted later, so it stopped. But i'm not sure about this.

Microsoft should supply a better errorhandling on this.

Florian

jeudi 8 mai 2008 18:59
  • Just had this problem.  Came home to the "reboot loop".

Tried normal restart, nothing
    tried safe mode, nothing
    put in windows vista32 ultimate dvd and tried booting, this time blue it stopped at bluescreen saying "BIOS does not fully support ACMI (or ACPI, or ACPMI -- whatever that powermanagement thing is)." 
    So, next reboot I hit the bios key for "ExpressRecovery2", then the machine shutoff on the next reboot cycle.  I'm not even sure this did anything because it didn't seem to change the bios messages at all.
    After that it booted cleanly.

So, in my case, it seemed like a bios issue of some sort.
    mardi 17 juin 2008 01:33
  •  

look mate that was hardly a productive post on what seems to be a fairly common problem, there is noo-one to blame i theses problems, as everyoen here knows computers are very tempermental, and it can onyl take the slightest change to mess things up, and yes a certain degree is how people look after their pc's but there is no avoiding pc faliures, things go wrong, i myself am sat here with a broken laptop with the same error, mine wont  boot anything, and the hard disk table is messed up, but im not writting and whining about how people don't look after their pc's im am jsut helpings anywya rant over with. no hard feelings mate
    mardi 17 juin 2008 14:32
  •  

hi, my problem was the same, the laptop, suspisously after a windows update, would not boot, hanging on crcdisk.sys, i tried booting into the recovery partition(its a fujitsu-amilo) but came up with a disk error, also the same for a vista ultimate dvd, i then installed kopix onto a usb and ran it to get all my dadta, i then used g-parted live dc to format the drive, but in loosing my mbr, i lost the ability to boot into the recovery partition, to fix this i installed ubuntu and then ran grub, this then allowed me to access the recovery partition and run a recovery.......so far so goodSmile been working fine, complicated procedure though, seems from this post that there are some much simpler fixes, but in extreme cases that worked for me.
    mardi 17 juin 2008 14:40
  • Hi

Having a nightmare after installing SP1 for 64 bit Vista on my HP laptop.  I noticed your post also mentions a HP Pavilion, mine is a dv9000 also.

Left the SP1 installing overnight and I returned to a blank screen with a cursor that can be moved about - even onto an extended screen.

I've been into safe mode several times and the first couple of times it coame up with a message informing me that stage 3 was completing from 33% and it took hours to reach 100%. A reboot comes up with the same result as above.

The third (or fourth or fifth! who knows now!!) safe mode login informed me that the installation of the service pack failed and that it would uninstall. Again, a couple of hours and a reboot comes up with the same result. Back into safe mode and it gives me the same message and takes 2 hours or so to show the desktop.

I am now leaving it running overnight in the vain hope there is something goign on in the back ground as I get a flicker of the hdd light every so often.

I've read earlier posts relating to similar issues but can't get around to giving the problem serious time until Tuesday. Does anyone have a good solution to this really annoying problem? I would appreciate any help at all and if I find anything out I will let you know also.

Cheers

JayZee

vendredi 20 juin 2008 21:37
  •  

I have the same problem I think

I have Windows Vista Professional. It worked perfectly well until I went online and tried to download realplayer.

Now when I switch on I receive ‘Windows Error Recovery’ page with the two options – ‘Launch Startup Repair (recommended)’ and ‘Start Windows normally’.

Neither work even leaving the startup repair running eight hours

By pressing f8 on Startup I receive the ‘Advanced Boot Options’ page ranging from ‘Repair Your Computer’ down to ‘Start Windows Normally’ – most end up with the page with the bars running across the box above the words ‘Microsoft Corporation’

I did eventually go into 'Repair your compyter' and ‘Performing Factory Image Restore’ but this just kept running – over 4 hours and nothing happened.

I don’t know what to try next. Should be very grateful for any suggestions

jeudi 10 juillet 2008 14:21
  •  nerbas wrote:

Hello everyone and thanks for helping in advance!

Windows Vista Business won't boot anymore on my Lenovo Thinkpad T60. It came pre-installed, worked well so far but now will neither boot "normal" nor in one of the various "safe modes". It just hangs at the black screen with the green (moving) bar at the bottom). No CTL+ALT+DEL helps, after waiting for nearly an hour without change, I had to press the on/off button for 5s to switch off the laptop.

Heck, not even the Vista DVD boots anymore! The only hint that I have is that the command line startup stops at crcdisk.sys (logged booting does *not* write the ntbtlog.txt file). I did not touch the partitioning or the mbr, I did not install some software drivers before the reboot (well, to be honest, Photoshop Elements but could that prevent the system from booting?) and I did not attach new hardware.

What can I do now?

I *can* access the HDD by booting a Linux Live-CD (Knoppix) so the harddisk is present, is running and the files are still there (whew) but I can't get Vista booting again. Even a Vista Install CD created with Microsoft's Windows Automated Installation Kit will not boot.

What have I tried?

Tried various tips from the internet to get it working again but had no success:

• did not find working solutions in this forum or usenet
    • renaming Windows\System32\drivers\pcmcia.sys and Windows\System32\DriverStore\Filerepository\pcmcia.inf_7656654 did not help
    • deleting hiberfil.sys and pagefile.sys did not help
    • using 'sudo ntfsfix /dev/sda2' in knoppix said it fixed something, but it didn't help
    • checking hdd/memory/system komponents in linux showed no errors
    • plugging the exact same hardware in the exact same sockets where they were attached before shutdown didn't help
    • completely removing battery and power supply, waiting 5min. and after reconnecting the power tryingto reboot didn't work
    • changing BIOS settings (disabling legacy USB support) didn't help
    • removing the CD-ROM drive from the bay didn't help (no, there's no CD/DVD in the drive)

what now (and please: "reinstall" is not really an option for me)?

Some System specs:

Windows Vista Business, Kernel Version 6.0.6000.16386 (security patches up to date)

Lenovo ThinkPad T60, Model 2007QPG

Intel Core 2 Duo T7200

2GB RAM, 120GB 5400rpm HDD

ATI Mobility Radeon X1400

vendredi 11 juillet 2008 17:40
  • ok this is whack.  microsoft- seriously get with the program- literally.

SAME PROBLEM, crcdisk.sys.  Lockup on a brand new dual-bootable vista/xpsp2 compaq presario f500.  Solution?  Tried all the above, nothing but the lamest idea worked.  I put in my friggin windows xp sp2 disk, failed a recovery and it booted like a damn charm, faster than before, even.  For six weeks nothing.  Then...the lamest attempt works.

This is a FAIL.  Xp isn't even in the same code.  You at microsoft should look to vista and hang your heads for shame.  Get a patch out for this pig ASAP because it is spreading like wildfire and losing money for you.  Nobody likes vista, not professionals, not developers, not office  workers-  nobody.  I refuse to purchase any compaq computer again or microsoft product save for office 2007 and xp.  Vista as an OS is simply not an option.

to the above poster with the idea to use an xp cd and rebott a few times...if you were here right now I could french kiss you.  Thank you, friend.  you just right this moment saved me from losing 7000 bucks.  Microsoft- you were 0 help.  This happy-go-lucky gentleman has your whole damn development staff beat.    My suggestion?  Hire him, fire the current.  He's obviously got a leg up on you as is.
    lundi 14 juillet 2008 21:03
  • I love Vista. No problems untill I installed Trend Micro antivirus. I agree with an earlier poster, Most of the time it is someone else's program that does not play nice with MSFT.

mardi 26 août 2008 07:33
  • I also have had this issue for a month, but resolved it today and just wanted to share what worked for me.  I have been thru the bios setup a zillion times as my DVD drive does not show as enabled even tho it spins upon booting, it just won't boot from it.  And yes, it is set to do so.  I have tried all the things I could glean from reading every post from the many others that have the same issue.  My problem started after a power outage while installing software. 

I think the blame is shared by Microsoft as it is things within Vista that cause this, but since I had no control over the DVD drive to boot from, where is the bios maker for my Dell XPS tower?  I'm thinking that because there are many manufacturers that display this same failure after loading crcdisk.sys file, that there is more needed in the bios than is there.  Assuming that Vista is new enough and different enough that they haven't written their firmware packages to accomodate all that is needed. 

However, I'm a happy camper this afternoon.  I played with the setup settings a lot this afternoon, but the last time I tried to power on, just for the heck of it, I operated the DVD drive while the Dell splash screen was on.  A couple of times.  It finally booted from the OS CD in the drive and asked me if I wanted to repair the OS.  Man, 28 days I've been wanting that.  I did ask it to repair and the first time it blue screened and came back and said it couldn't.  However, I perservered and the 3rd time (always the charm) I had the opportunity to choose the restore point.  I chose a point a couple of days before this all happened and.....voila.  I'm back in business. 

I am not a Vista hater, as it has worked very well for me prior to this, but I was talking bad about it lately.  I'm posting just in case this will help any of you.  Good luck.

Donna

lundi 1 septembre 2008 21:07
  • Quickfix - boot using the Vista CD, repair, system recovery to before the Windows Update.
    mardi 2 septembre 2008 16:17
  • I  ran into a similar booting problem with Vista. In some cases it would take over 1hr for vista

to load. I had figured the problem was SP1 related but this was not the case.

The krux of the problem was found to be a USB keyfob storage device that was plugged into the

USB port.

Aparently when vista boots it was checking the USB drive and this is where it was hanging the boot cycle.

Unplugging the USB device resolved the problem. The flash memory on the USB device was defective.

Thanks Paul.

mardi 2 septembre 2008 20:05
  • Hello,

Same nightmare with my new HP pavilion dv9000, with pre-installed Windows Vista 32 bit, installing the SP1. During the stage 3 crashes with a nice blue screen, and rebooted in safe mode goes form 33% to 100% for ending by saying the SP was not installed and rolling back for hours. Tried 2 times, same problem.

Cheers

Postue

lundi 6 octobre 2008 16:09
  • I'm experiencing a similar issue. My CD/DVD-Rom drive isn't recognizing anything I put into it. I checked system folders, and when I looked at the folder, it sid that the "device cannot start (Code 10)"

Now, I have no idea what this means. I'm a prospective English major, so this stuff flies over my head.

Can someone help me? Please and thank you!
    jeudi 16 octobre 2008 05:37

• Wow! MaXUfO ... I admit you got it ery simple
    Worked like a charm ... Thanks

Ubuntu is the Peace of mind
    samedi 18 octobre 2008 14:17
  • Florian,

i know it's a year later, but this seems like a great suggestion for the issue i'm currently having...

my only question is (if you still remember) did you mean "crcdisk.SYS " instead of "crcdisk.DLL "?

not sure where crcdisk.dll even is, if it exists...
    mercredi 8 avril 2009 16:10
  • I'm having this same damn issue.  Dell XPS M1330.  I'd been running Windows 7 beta for a while, which I'm extremely pleased with, but decided to go back to Vista since I have a test I'll need the computer for around the time the beta will supposedly end.

I've installed multiple times from varying discs.  Enterprise 32 Bit, Enterprise 64 Bit, and Ultimate 64 bit.  All installs seem to go flawlessly and then start the "reboot circle." If I attempt to go into safe mode, it ends on crcdisk.sys and restarts.  Once I was able to get it to load the OS (after an unsuccessful repair attempt by the DVD), but when it restarted for updates it began continuously rebooting again.  I even swapped Hard Drives to no avail.

I grabbed the Windows 7 disc and it's back on....but I eventually need Vista.  I don't have an XP disc to try the above mentioned fix.  Any additional suggestions?
    vendredi 10 avril 2009 03:58
  • Next thing seemed to solve it for me:
    - Booting from USB - in my case, a WinPE (Windows Preboot Environment) USB stick
    - In the command prompt, deleting pagefile.sys on the Windows partition
    Vista booted again after this.
    • Proposé comme réponse bravo314 jeudi 7 mai 2009 18:35
    mercredi 15 avril 2009 10:15
  • Hello people,

I am with the same problem, or similar...  I formatted my notebook and I installed once again the Windows Vista Home Premium, however when I link he by the first time, or I give shutdown and I link he once again, the even delays for the carry the Windows and exhibits a blue screen quickly and restart the notebook. However of that time he enters normally in the system (Windows).

I already formatted my notebook and I installed the Windows Seen some 10 times and nothing of function. 

Already I brought up to date everything as much as is original driver of the HP for see the problem was in conflict with the drivers of the same one, however nothing of function also.

Someone is able to help me to solve that problem? 

Tks.

Almiro Alves

mercredi 20 mai 2009 13:30
  • I found the definitive solution to this issue, after lots (and lots and lots) of research.. I got to it by searching 0x0000c1f5 instead of searching crcdisk.sys. 

The full file is here: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/970101/en-us

Basically, a windows 7 boot disk, when booted to, will self heal the damaged boot file(s) without having to install anything.  The simple act of booting to a windows 7 beta or RC disc will solve the issue upon reboot.  Amazing!!

Just for the record, I had the boot-crash error.  It was on a Dell XPS M1210, and I couldn't get to safe mode, or a command prompt, and the recovery CD also produced the same crash when booting to the CD.  It was either fool around with knoppix, or this... and this worked perfectly!
    • Proposé comme réponse Hesthrim vendredi 19 juin 2009 18:24
    vendredi 19 juin 2009 18:24
  • This is really funny. You known what I mean ;).
    • Proposé comme réponse interwebtech dimanche 5 juillet 2009 16:08
    dimanche 21 juin 2009 15:44
  • FYI. I had the same problem today. Hang on black screen, HDD LED full on (no blinking like it was hung on something). Went into Safe Mode, that boot stopped on loading crcdisk.sys, Googled and found this thread. Went to load the Vista DVD and found I had left a movie disc (The Chaos Experiment if it matters) in the DVD drive. Just opening the DVD tray realesed the hang and allowed Vista to complete its boot process. Reastared normal and it booted up fine. Don't know what it was about having that disc in the drive but it stopped Vista cold from booting from the HDD.
    dimanche 5 juillet 2009 16:13
  • crcdisk.sys

I have been studying this problem since TWO of THREE Dell Inspiron 1525s that I bought for my kids at XMAS had this error within days of each other. My first assumption was that it must be a virus, but why would a virus "recur" after the hard disk was formatted and there was a clean install of VISTA? It wouldn't.  A virus scan of the third unit came up clean, to lend further validity to my theory.

My kids systems have no weird hardware or peripherals, and the most complex software application they use is the game Spore.

I spent many hours staying up late and reinstalled VISTA on both failed systems - NONE of the solutions proposed online in multiple forums have revealed squat, nor has exploration of Microsoft's site or Dell's site. I do not have the patience to talk to tech support in INDIA, and am not willing to pay someone else to do what I can do from home. My MAC powerbook PRO, BTW, functions beautifully and has allowed me to continue having internet access when the other machines are down.

Even with clean installs of VISTA and the most current drivers I could locate on the web, the error recurred and put one of the Inspirons in an endless "death spiral" where I couldn't even reboot from the intallation boot disks. 

Ths solutions proposed on these forums are laughably complex, and the average user has no idea how to start messing around with core commands or rewriting line by line code from the C:\ prompt.

I think this is a fundamental incompatibility of VISTA with most hardware for some unknown reason. The fact that it is such a common problem, and Microsoft is mute about it, also makes me think there was a major fuckup in the code that just cannot be fixed.

My solution was to install UBUNTU on the dead system - guess what - it was free and installed in about 25 minutes and is remakably user friendly (like the MAC OS). My son loves it, and so do I.

Goodbye VISTA, and good luck to all of you out there reintalling VISTA for the 100th time and fussing with your motherboards....
    • Proposé comme réponse JanJanowski vendredi 16 octobre 2009 02:33
    lundi 13 juillet 2009 14:04
  • lol, I'm the IT guy @ work, this has happend to one of our vista business machines.

I phones microsoft but they couldn't help because "our systems are down, can you ring back in one to two hours?" lol.

So I'm using a linux key to backup files before a reinstall of vista on the machine.

re; goodbye vista, i gave up on vista when i first got it after being told i had to pay £50-60 for recovery discs. (was already familiar with linux as a web dev / unix server manager). :) indeed goodbye vista.

update: should it be useful to anyone, this happened right after a windows update.
    • Proposé comme réponse zak45 jeudi 19 novembre 2009 16:53
    mercredi 18 novembre 2009 11:48
  • I was seeing the same problems after attempting to repair a Vista OS - no go. Would always hang close to ending setup/installation in WinPE or whatever.

Dell Inspiron 1720. Vista Home Basic.

After updating the BIOS I noticed I had an option to run SATA drives in ATA mode or AHCI. AHCI was set. I took the necessary steps to use ATA mode (have to disable flash write or something somewhere else in bios too before you can switch).

Using ATA mode install worked without problems!!

Let me know if it works for others too! Otherwise the BIOS update might have been the fix.

Zak
    • Proposé comme réponse AZS1 dimanche 29 novembre 2009 05:01
    jeudi 19 novembre 2009 17:01
  • I did have  the same Dell Inspiron 1720, same specs...
    I just find out that updating BIOS and changing same option from AHCI (setting from factory) to ATA mode will do the trick...!!!

Good luck !!!

Alex Z
    dimanche 29 novembre 2009 05:07
  •     1. Obtain a Windows 7 Beta or later Windows 7 installation disk

2. Insert the disk into the disk drive and boot from this Windows 7 Beta installation disk

Note: Once booted, cancel out the Windows7 setup. Do not install Windows 7.

3. Once the system has booted successfully, remove the Windows 7 Beta installation disk and reboot the computer from the hard drive.
    mardi 12 janvier 2010 10:14
  • This link should be able to help

http://neosmart.net/wiki/display/EBCD/Recovering+the+Vista+Bootloader+from+the+DVD
    mardi 12 janvier 2010 10:25
  • Norton Disk Doctor fixed it for me.  Same problem.
    mardi 12 janvier 2010 22:25
  • If you encounter a hang during bootup in safe-mode where it displays crcdisk.sys it probably means that your disk is having troubles. My Vista-computer had this problem.

I did the following: I booted up on a Windows 7 bootable DVD (You can run this on Vista DVD as well) and then I ran advanced and then command-prompt. Then I ran chkdsk /f c:

After a while, it marked some sectors bad (read the output from chkdsk!) and when I rebooted, the system was okay again.

Behold that you should start thinking of changing the disk when you find bad sectors, as it usually means that the disk is about to go dead on you. Also, be sure to back up your data.

vendredi 1 juillet 2011 21:17
  • Okay - I also have a Thinkpad T60, and had very similar symptoms.

My laptop would only boot to the crcdisk.sys line. Recently, in the session before it started doing this, the computer seemed to be reaching 100% use of memory just by doing simple tasks such as watching short video files online, and the screen blacked out twice. I noticed that the laptop was quite a bit warmer than normal and appeared to use the fan continuously. Next, when running the hard disk scan utility under BIOS in the alternative Thinkpad startup mode, the laptop went dead.

I was reading the list of suggestions about the crcdisk.sys boot fail topic such as pulling the hard drive to save data, or finding a Vista recovery disk, when I found this suggestion.

http://www.masnick.com/2007/09/07/the-secret-thinkpad-powerbutton-code-to-bring-dead-laptops-back-to-life/

This actually worked for me, and I loved it because it was so much more simple than reinstalling the OS and losing recent files.

Looking at a clock, take the battery out. Press the main power button ten times at one second intervals. Then press the power button continuously for 30 seconds.

This caused my computer to boot normally. I know that with cars, there are often secret manufacturer codes for resetting aspects of the car's computer. For instance, to make a warning light reset in the dashboard in a Nissan Sentra, there was a combination of pushes to the button in the driver's side door that turns the overhead light on. With the laptop, I'm just not sure why pushing the button when the battery is out is registered.

My diagnosis is that Vista seems to use more system resources than average, and maybe my laptop has a hardware problem that was making it overheat, and this triggered the crcdisk.sys error to get registered during startup

lundi 22 août 2011 13:52
  • I just gotta say reading this thread has been a real PITA. all you sheeple typing your friggin life stories has caused me to grow a little dumber today. Keep it technical and get a life. Thanks!
    samedi 18 février 2012 20:15
  • Please add my solution:

In BIOS, the key problem was:

I changed setting of hard disk from AHCI to COMPABILITY.

After that, Vista COULD NOT boot. When I tried safemode, Vista showed crcdisk.sys and stopped and showed blue screen.

I used software TRUEIMAGE to copy Vista to another hard disk. Still, when I tried safemode, Vista showed crcdisk.sys and stopped and showed blue screen.

My solution that I hope will help someone:

In BIOS, the key solution was:

I changed setting of hard disk from COMPABILITY to AHCI. Then, Vista booted successfully.

My point: crcdisk.sys is not only about HARD DISK being physically damaged.

In my case, crcdisk.sys was about setting of SATA hard disk inside BIOS.

Hope my information will help someone. Please share your success solution. Thank you very much.

vendredi 31 août 2012 18:11