none
How to remove published virtual machine application from host OS

Question

• Hi!

How do I remove published virtual machine applications from the host OS?

Ok, I can delete the links from the host OS start menu - but what about associated file types and possible other hidden setting?

I unchecked the "Auto Publish" setting and started/reboot/stopped the VM but this didnt remove the published virtual machine applications from host OS...

thx
    jeudi 29 octobre 2009 20:51

Réponses

Toutes les réponses

• The only way I know is to change the associations on the host manually.

Bob Comer - Microsoft MVP Virtual Machine
    vendredi 30 octobre 2009 14:12
  • Ok.

Is there any documentation on what settigs are applied to the host OS when an app is published?

I installed VS2010 B2 with auto publish enabled (my fault - I didn't check the auto publish setting before I started...). Later I moved the VM to a different computer. Now I have to remove those now useless settings on the first computer...
    Host and guest OS are Windows7.

thx
    vendredi 30 octobre 2009 14:52
  • >Is there any documentation on what settigs are applied to the host OS when an app is published?

Not that I have seen.

It should only be the association that are possibly messed up.  Possibly the debugger settings I suppose, but that's out of my expertise.

vendredi 30 octobre 2009 15:32
  • Debugger settings in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\AeDebug and HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\AeDebug are not changed on host OS.

But there are dozends of Prog-IDs with random-8-digit-hexcode.VM-name format under HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\ and hundreds of references to those Prog-IDs in the file type associations (OpenWithProgids sections).

Also there are dozends of .ico files under %userprofile%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows Virtual PC\VM-name.

I wont touch that to manually remove all that junk atm...
    vendredi 30 octobre 2009 17:31
  • Interesting.  Perhaps there should be an automated way to deal with these things...

vendredi 30 octobre 2009 20:33
  • Hi,

By deleting the icons of All Users folder in the guest system can help remove published applications.

Running guest programs in host system is achieved by Remote Desktop technology , so I think there are no many settings or files saved on host system. They should still be saved in guest system.

lundi 2 novembre 2009 09:20
    Modérateur
  • If you want to delete a VM, then deleting the .vmcx should remove the published applications automatically.

If you want to keep your VM, but still want to unpublish the applications, then you can  refer to the blog item for your answer. http://blogs.technet.com/windows_vpc/archive/2009/11/02/publishing-virtual-applications-in-windows-virtual-pc.aspx 

please revert back if your problem is not solved.
    • Marqué comme réponse awag mercredi 4 novembre 2009 08:41
    lundi 2 novembre 2009 14:16
  • WOW deleting the .vmcx really removes all setting from host OS....

BUT this only works if the auto publish option is enabled for the VM.

I disabled auto publish for the VM after installing VS2010 B2 and deleted the VM with autopublish disabled - this kept all settings on host OS...

Thanks!
    mercredi 4 novembre 2009 08:41
  • Thanks for posting that back, it's good information to know!

mercredi 4 novembre 2009 14:06
  • Actually it's a slightly better idea to MOVE the icons from the All Users folder into your own user folder, otherwise you'll lose easy access to running those programs in your virtual PC.

(usually under a folder like this: C:\Users\<<your_username>>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs)

mercredi 29 février 2012 04:18