File History needs to be more flexible with where you want to target files for backup. Maybe give an option to override default locations, with custom locations

שאלה

• File History needs to be more flexible with where you want to target files for backup. Maybe give an option to override default locations, with custom locations.

Example:

On my desktop I have a project folder, which contains many other folders, of these I only want to add one to file history.
    The other folders in this project folder are much to large, and don't need backing up.
    Currently I have to deactivate all the folders one by one on the desktop, including the subfolders not wanted in the Projects folder
    Because if I exclude the desktop, then all subfolders are also deactivated.
    So File History is currently very cumbersome, and needs to be more flexible

יום שלישי 06 מרץ 2012 05:50

כל התגובות

• Thank you for your feedback.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”

יום שישי 09 מרץ 2012 08:38
    מנחה דיון
  • As for flexibility, having it require either an external drive or a network location seems a step backwards. In Win7, and earlier OS's, the Previous Versions feature, while perhaps not as fully-featured as what's in W8, at least allowed you to have some file history without either of the above. The feature was even enabled by default, unlike File History.
    שבת 10 מרץ 2012 03:31
  • This is a much needed feature, I find File History backing up certain files that I never wanted backing up. It's a very slow process individually selecting the files you don't want to backup.

Apart from that, File History is a great feature in Windows 8!

שבת 10 מרץ 2012 12:04
  • File History is designed for typical users who do not want to think about backup and just want their personal files to be protected. Your setup is not typical so I understand that it may require some extra steps. If your project folder was in a different location, all you'd have to do would be to add the specific folder you want to protect to one of your libraries.
    יום חמישי 15 מרץ 2012 19:07
  • We assumed that users store their personal files in libraries and libraries contain everything users care about and want to protect. The ability to exclude a folder was added to eliminate exceptions, particularly folders in your libraries that contain large files that can be easily recreated (like downloaded movies, recorded TV shows, etc...) when lost. In case where libraries conation many folders that do not need to be backed up, another option would be to rearrange libraries and exclude an entire library.
    יום חמישי 15 מרץ 2012 19:14
  • File History requires an external, redundant storage device (an external USB drive or a network location) because it is designed to protect against any accident that could cause data loss, including hard drive failure, PC failure or PC loss. Previous Versions stored snapshots on the same physical disk. If this disk failed, all Previous Versions would be lost too. Because it requires an external drive, it cannot be turned on by default.
    יום חמישי 15 מרץ 2012 19:20
  • On that last point, I see the logic in why you can't make it a default, but that's only because it now requires an external drive. I'd argue that you shouldn't have that requirement. Yes, if a drive failed with Previous Versions, you'd lose your files, but a much more common scenario than that is when a user wants a previous version of their document back because they just overwrote something. That's no longer a default setup and is not possible without additional hardware. Without the requirement, the user would still have that file.

I just don't see the need to conflate backups and partial file history. They're different things. Now that Windows Backup is deprecated (though still available with a name that few will ever find), I see why that's happening, but in multiple ways a deprecated Windows Backup plus File History is less useful than and less versatile than Windows Backup plus Previous Versions.

יום חמישי 15 מרץ 2012 19:41
  • We assumed that users store their personal files in libraries and libraries contain everything users care about and want to protect. The ability to exclude a folder was added to eliminate exceptions, particularly folders in your libraries that contain large files that can be easily recreated (like downloaded movies, recorded TV shows, etc...) when lost. In case where libraries conation many folders that do not need to be backed up, another option would be to rearrange libraries and exclude an entire library.

BohdanR,

How can you assume that most users store their personal files in libraries when many users will be going from Vista or earlier to Win8?

Also there is a significant amount of end user data that is not stored in libraries even from Microsoft products. In Office, for example, all of the end users templates would be missed.

I understand why you include libraries as a default - but why can't we add non-libraries as source?

Can you also explain how file history handles open files such as Microsoft access databases or Outlook with BCM files?

Thanks!

-Neil

יום שישי 13 אפריל 2012 20:42