none
Sound cuts in and out every 10-15 sec in Windows 7 64bit

שאלה

• I just upgraded from 32bit to 64bit Windows 7. Now every sound app (media player, Internet streaming, games) has it's sound cutting in and out. I still see the sound playing, just the output keeps cutting in and out. I have installed the latest driver, but no change. I have a Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3P (rev 1.6) motherboard that has a realtek audio card. I would have no problem with getting a better one, but I don't think it would soulve the problem. It worked fine under the 32bit Windows 7. I heard that under WindowsXP 64bit there was sometimes a bios setting that needed to be changed, but I have no idea.
    יום ראשון 07 מרץ 2010 01:42

תשובות

• Hi Seattleslug,

You can refer to this article to check this issue: Tips for fixing common sound problems.

If the issue persists, please double confirm whether the cable connection between the speakers and the sound card. Also, you can reinstall the sound card by the steps below to check the result:

1.     Click "Start", input "Device Manager" (without quotation marks) in the Search box, and then press "Enter".

2.     Double-click "Sound, video and game controllers" to expand it.

3.     Right-click the installed Sound Card and then click Uninstall.

4.     Restart the computer.

5.     Run Windows Update to install the sound card driver.

What is the result?

If the issue still exists, let's move on to disable sound effects and enhancement:

1.     Click the Start Button, type "MMSYS.CPL" in the Start Search box and press Enter.

2.     On Playback tab, click the Speaker which is used and click Properties button.

3.     Switch to Advanced tab, uncheck the "Allow applications to take exclusive control of this device" option.

4.     If the Enhancements tab is available, click it. Check 'Disable all sound effects".

5.     In Setting section, Select None.

6.     Click Apply and click OK.

Besides, please check if there is audio related software installed. You can temporary remove it to see if the issue occurs.

If the issue persists, please help to collect the System Information for further research:

1. Press Start, type in msinfo32 in the Start Search bar and then press Enter.

2. Choose Save from the File menu and save it as an NFO file.

3. Find the file, right-click on this file, click "Send To", and click "Compressed (zipped) Folder".

For your convenience, I have created a workspace for you.  You can upload the information files to the following link.  (Please choose "Send Files to Microsoft")

Workspace URL: (https://sftasia.one.microsoft.com/choosetransfer.aspx?key=91f0c1d0-2fa0-4628-95a0-b6962edfcc2b)

Password: WM^-Vr{X*JF%@

Note: Due to differences in text formatting with various email clients, the workspace link above may appear to be broken.  Please be sure to include all text between '(' and ')' when typing or copying the workspace link into your browser. Meanwhile, please note that files uploaded for more than 72 hours will be deleted automatically. Please ensure to notify me timely after you have uploaded the files. Thank you for your understanding.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Linda

• סומן כתשובה על-ידי Linda Yan יום שני 15 מרץ 2010 01:47
    יום רביעי 10 מרץ 2010 06:03

כל התגובות

• Hi Seattleslug,
    Gigabyte has Windows 7 64-bit drivers for that motherboard in the support area. Have you applied their drivers? (audio)
    http://www.gigabyte.us/Support/Motherboard/Driver_Model.aspx?ProductID=3139&ost=windows+7+64bit#anchor_os

Alternatively, you can use the Hardware Troubleshooter in the Action Center.
    1. Click on the flag in the notification area of the taskbar (low right of desktop)
    2. If no issues are detected, select Open Action Center
    3. select troubleshooting
    4. under Hardware and Sound, select Troubleshoot audio playback
    5. Follow the wizard

Try these first before reviewing the BIOS settings. Incorrect settings there will manifest with different issues.

Please post back with your result.
    • נערך על-ידי Nano Warp יום ראשון 07 מרץ 2010 14:18 added manf link
    יום ראשון 07 מרץ 2010 14:14
  • I have tried everything you have suggested, with no solution. I also notice when I am doing things without sound that an audible "click" occurs every 20-50 seconds. I am assuming that if sound was playing it would cut out right after the "clicks". The thing that bugs me is that I have a program called "True Image" from Acronis that allows me to roll back to the 32bit version and XP Pro beyond that. Neither of those operating systems manifest the problem. It is only with Windows7 64bit. I don't want to lose the additional memory support provided by a 64 bit version of Windows, but I might just scrap Windows 7 and install Windows XP 64bit.
    יום ראשון 07 מרץ 2010 20:42
  • Everything should work well with their drivers.

1. Try and right click the speaker in the notification area and select playback devices.
    2. Then select the communication tab.
    3. select the do nothing button
    4. Ok and out

Any help?
    יום ראשון 07 מרץ 2010 22:33
  • If the issue persists with the latest drivers installed, it can be related to the software installed as well. Please check the issue in Clean Boot to see the result. If the issue disappears in the Clean Boot environment, you continue to narrow down which entry is causing the issue.

יום שני 08 מרץ 2010 08:09
  • Nothing has worked including the "clean boot" as suggested. DRAT
    יום שלישי 09 מרץ 2010 04:59
  • Nope that didn't work either
    יום שלישי 09 מרץ 2010 04:59
  • Hi Seattleslug,

You can refer to this article to check this issue: Tips for fixing common sound problems.

If the issue persists, please double confirm whether the cable connection between the speakers and the sound card. Also, you can reinstall the sound card by the steps below to check the result:

1.     Click "Start", input "Device Manager" (without quotation marks) in the Search box, and then press "Enter".

What is the result?

If the issue still exists, let's move on to disable sound effects and enhancement:

1.     Click the Start Button, type "MMSYS.CPL" in the Start Search box and press Enter.

2.     On Playback tab, click the Speaker which is used and click Properties button.

3.     Switch to Advanced tab, uncheck the "Allow applications to take exclusive control of this device" option.

4.     If the Enhancements tab is available, click it. Check 'Disable all sound effects".

Besides, please check if there is audio related software installed. You can temporary remove it to see if the issue occurs.

If the issue persists, please help to collect the System Information for further research:

3. Find the file, right-click on this file, click "Send To", and click "Compressed (zipped) Folder".

For your convenience, I have created a workspace for you.  You can upload the information files to the following link.  (Please choose "Send Files to Microsoft")

Workspace URL: (https://sftasia.one.microsoft.com/choosetransfer.aspx?key=91f0c1d0-2fa0-4628-95a0-b6962edfcc2b)

Note: Due to differences in text formatting with various email clients, the workspace link above may appear to be broken.  Please be sure to include all text between '(' and ')' when typing or copying the workspace link into your browser. Meanwhile, please note that files uploaded for more than 72 hours will be deleted automatically. Please ensure to notify me timely after you have uploaded the files. Thank you for your understanding.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Linda

• סומן כתשובה על-ידי Linda Yan יום שני 15 מרץ 2010 01:47
    יום רביעי 10 מרץ 2010 06:03
  • Hi Seattleslug,

What is the result?

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Linda

How is this the answer? Is there a post that's missing? Seattleslug still posts that the audio is still not working correctly. Rather self-serving for a moderator.
    יום שני 15 מרץ 2010 02:52
  • I installed Windows 7 x64 a couple weeks ago and my sound has been driving my crazy.  My problem, like yours above, consists of my sound cutting out after several seconds every time I listen to a song, watch a movie, or play a game.  I have used every playback device and it makes no difference.

Turns out...

Under the Playback tab, Windows 7 seemed to think my headphones where being plugged in and out literally every single second.  This was causing my problems.  After disabling my headphones, sound and life is back to normal.

יום שישי 02 מרץ 2012 23:29
  • I am having the same problem with the headphones cutting in and out.I think that might have helped. It only seems to cut out every once and a while. ~thanks.
    שבת 14 אפריל 2012 15:41
  • I also have similar problem, just not so often. The sound cuts out in Window media player and Real Player and from internet radio. IT occurs whenever the Disk Activity is at 100%. I open the Task Manager, Performance, Resource Monitor, Disk. The display shows when blue line is at 100% highest active time with a slow response rate. This occurs whenever the system is doing some automatic process. I have tried to cut down of opened windows running programs, to no avail. It has been happening for several months on my 64bit Windows 7. I have enough RAM and disk space. Very annoying for a business that relies on audio playback. Any clues anyone?
    יום שלישי 25 דצמבר 2012 13:45