none
Publishing XP Mode short-cuts in Windows 7

שאלה

• i like the new autopublish feature in XP mode, but i am trying to get it so that i can use Windows media player 11 in Windows 7 instead of Windows Media player 12, since Windows media player 12 is not working properly at this point. I read on a blog sit on how to post your own short-cuts to the host OS, but it does not seem to work for certain applications. so i would like some help with this.

since i cannot get this to work the traditional way i would like to try a different way. i noticed that the short-cut paths for virtual applications usually look something this: "%SystemRoot%\system32\rundll32.exe %SystemRoot%\system32\VMCPropertyHandler.dll,LaunchVMSal "Virtual Windows XP" "||2323231" "Windows Media Player"" i was wondering if anyone knew the proper short-cut code for Windows media player 11. i think the oly ting thst needs to be changed is this: "||2323231" at this point. but feel free to correct me if i am wrong because more than just that piece of code might need to be changed.
    יום רביעי 03 יוני 2009 22:25

תשובות

• Please remove the string value named wmplayer.exe from
    "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Virtual Machine\VPCVAppExcludeList" node in the registry inside the xp vm.
    Reboot the xp vm.
    create the shortcut for media player in %allusersprofile% and check if its getting published.
    Thanks, Rashmi U.R
    • סומן כתשובה על-ידי Steven Wabik יום חמישי 04 יוני 2009 14:25
    יום חמישי 04 יוני 2009 13:04

כל התגובות

• Hi Steven
    This is the more complex way to do it - does adding the shortcut to the All Users profile (as described at http://blogs.technet.com/drey/archive/2009/05/08/windows-virtual-pc-and-xp-mode-publishing-internet-explorer-6-on-windows-7.aspx and elsewhere) not work for you?

Regards, Mark
    Mark Wilson (MVP Virtual Machine) - http://www.markwilson.co.uk/blog/
    יום רביעי 03 יוני 2009 22:32
  • adding the short-cut to that folder does not work for me, not for that application at least. thats why i am asking for help with this. posting short-cuts in that folder works for 90% of other applications. so, is there any othere way to publish applications from XP mode to the Windows 7 desktop? i would like to know because this would be very usefull and is needed.
    יום חמישי 04 יוני 2009 00:54
  • Please remove the string value named wmplayer.exe from
    "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Virtual Machine\VPCVAppExcludeList" node in the registry inside the xp vm.
    Reboot the xp vm.
    create the shortcut for media player in %allusersprofile% and check if its getting published.
    Thanks, Rashmi U.R
    • סומן כתשובה על-ידי Steven Wabik יום חמישי 04 יוני 2009 14:25
    יום חמישי 04 יוני 2009 13:04
  • i'll try, but wouldn't that mess up the Virtual Machine. i only like to edit the regitry now a days if i know what the change is going to do. but sure, i'll try it, since there is a way to back up the registry just in case something goes wrong.
    יום חמישי 04 יוני 2009 14:20
  • well, your advice seems to have worked. now Microsoft just needs to make an easier way to publish the application from XPM to the Windows 7 Desktop....
    יום חמישי 04 יוני 2009 14:26
  • The idea was not to make it difficult :). Basically this mechanism helps to not publish just about everything in XP's start menu onto win7 host from notepad to minesweeper. This registry is to block automatic publishing of common programs and helps to prevent overcrowding the win7 start menu. However, if you need to publish one of these filtered programs, you just need to remove its correponding entry from the reg key.
    Thanks, Rashmi U.R
    יום חמישי 04 יוני 2009 16:12
  • Where is %allusersprofile% and uh what in reg do i remove for spider solitaire?

EMail: me at matthew.alborn@gmail.com

יום חמישי 01 יולי 2010 00:58
  • Oh GOD i tried the registry thing Error: Registry File COrrupted and a bunch of squares WHAT THE ____ DO I HAVE TO REINSTALL!?!?!
    יום חמישי 01 יולי 2010 01:04
  • This answer is of no use to me. I have an application that needs to be published that is a third-party app and was installed. It's in the %allusersprofile% as a shortcut and I even created a second copy of it in the %allusersprofile% just in case. Nothing. Nada. Zip. The automatic publishing is skipping over just this single application and has installed all of the other applications that have been installed, even the ones that are from the same software maker.

There has GOT to be a valid way to manually publish apps.

יום חמישי 18 נובמבר 2010 02:44
  • The registry mechanism mentioned above is to remove the auto block on publishing of common programs like notepad, games etc,  so that you can start publishing them by creating shortcuts in %alluserprofile%\StartMenu. Any app specified under "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Virtual Machine\VPCVAppExcludeList" node in the registry inside the vm, will not be allowed to publish.

So, if you figure something is not getting published, first check the the above mentioned reg key node, check if your app is mentioned in the list. If yes, then it has been marked for block auto publish. Delete the Key value pair for that app, if present. Reboot vm should let you start publishing that app. If this is not the case, then it is a different issue.

The valid way to publish apps is to create it's shortcut under "%allusersprofile%\start menu" inside the vm.

Thanks, Rashmi U.R
    יום חמישי 18 נובמבר 2010 05:49
  • Its interesting in general what's on that list, but Winmail.exe is on it and WinMail was only present in Vista and Win7 and not in XP.

steve

The registry mechanism mentioned above is to remove the auto block on publishing of common programs like notepad, games etc,  so that you can start publishing them by creating shortcuts in %alluserprofile%\StartMenu. Any app specified under "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Virtual Machine\VPCVAppExcludeList" node in the registry inside the vm, will not be allowed to publish.

So, if you figure something is not getting published, first check the the above mentioned reg key node, check if your app is mentioned in the list. If yes, then it has been marked for block auto publish. Delete the Key value pair for that app, if present. Reboot vm should let you start publishing that app. If this is not the case, then it is a different issue.

The valid way to publish apps is to create it's shortcut under "%allusersprofile%\start menu" inside the vm.

Thanks, Rashmi U.R
    יום חמישי 18 נובמבר 2010 12:50
  • Hi, I'm having an issue getting an app to run that really isn't an installed app.  It's an icon that launches the following command to run an application stored on a network share:

From the properites of the icon:

TARGET: "\\Bur-bak1\vol1\APPS\Tel\WRUN32.EXE -C WCBLCONF MENU.NEX"

Start In: \\BUR-BAK1\VOL1\APPS\Tel

I can get the app to run in the full XP mode, but it doesn't show up as a published app in Win7Pro. 

It's our legacy accounting system running on a COBOL Db with a barely windows compatible front end. 

Any idea on how to get THIS running as a published app?

thanks!

יום שישי 19 נובמבר 2010 15:22
  • I understand what you are saying, but none of that actually addresses the problem as I've stated. I don't mean to be rude, but copying into the %allusersprofile%\start menu is NOT the only way to publish programs, because obviously there is a mechanism that is actually performing the publishing by checking the start menu folder for newly added programs. The problem I am having is that mechanism for actually publishing programs is ignoring a single installed application while publishing others just fine, and Microsoft seems to offer NO way for me to troubleshoot this problem to find a solution.

I've put the shortcut into the All Users start menu. Twice. The program originally placed its own shortcut there anyway. NONE of this is being picked up by the automatic publishing service, even though other programs are being published without any problem. However, since there is ZERO interface for me to troubleshoot I am left with a program that XP Mode refuses to publish and no method for me to troubleshoot it and figure out why the publishing service is failing to publish it.

• הוצע כתשובה על-ידי Tommy Larsen יום חמישי 04 אוגוסט 2011 12:53
    • הצעה כתשובה בוטלה על-ידי Tommy Larsen יום חמישי 04 אוגוסט 2011 12:53
    יום ראשון 21 נובמבר 2010 00:13
  • I know this is an old thread, but I have also had the problem of a single shortcut to an old MS-DOS application, that did not get published.  It turned out, that there was a problem with the icon - changing the icon for another solved the publishing issue.

I tried to open the original icon in Paint and save it as a png.  Then I used an online icon file creator, and made a new icon file with the original image data.  Unfortunately this was not enough to make XP Mode happy, so I have had to settle for an unoriginal icon.  It seems that somehow the data of the image inside the icon was the cause of the problem...

I hope this piece of info is helpful for others in the future....

Tommy Larsen

יום חמישי 04 אוגוסט 2011 13:01
  • Interesting!  Thanks for posting that as someone else is likely to run
    into that problem.

Bob Comer - Microsoft MVP Virtual Machine
    יום חמישי 04 אוגוסט 2011 13:06
  • In case you still need to do this, I've recently manually adding the Windows Explorer and Command Prompt directly to the XP Mode registry.

The registry location is HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Terminal Server\TsAppAllowList\Applications.

Below is the registry script. You need to save it as file:

CMD.reg

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Terminal Server\TsAppAllowList\Applications\00000002]
    "CommandLineSetting"=dword:00000000
    "IconIndex"=dword:00000000
    "IconPath"="%SystemRoot%\\system32\\cmd.exe"
    "Name"="Command Prompt"
    "Path"="C:\\WINDOWS\\system32\\cmd.exe"
    "RequiredCommandLine"=""
    "ShowInTSWA"=dword:00000000
    "VPath"="%SystemRoot%\\system32\\cmd.exe"

explorer.reg

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Terminal Server\TsAppAllowList\Applications\00000001]
    "CommandLineSetting"=dword:00000000
    "IconIndex"=dword:00000000
    "IconPath"="%SystemRoot%\\explorer.exe"
    "Name"="Windows Explorer"
    "Path"="C:\\WINDOWS\\explorer.exe"
    "RequiredCommandLine"=""
    "ShowInTSWA"=dword:00000000
    "VPath"="%SystemRoot%\\explorer.exe"

Double click the file to add them to registry.

Next, to create the short cut from Windows 7, copy and paste other XP Mode Short cut, and change the magic number to 00000002 for Command Prompt and 00000001 for Windows Explorer

Good Luck

• נערך על-ידי Harun Mip יום חמישי 15 אוגוסט 2013 03:51
    יום חמישי 15 אוגוסט 2013 03:50