none
Windows 7 32 and 64 bit

שאלה

• Hello,

I notice most new laptops with Windows 7 professional version installed is Windows 7 64 bit operating system.  Firstly what are the compatibility issues, will apps created for 32 bit run on 64 bit and vice versa?

I am a software student and wanted to buy a new laptop for development.  If I develop an application on a Windows 7 professional 64 bit laptop will the applications run on 32 bit operating systems?

Thanks in advance

Alanjo

יום חמישי 15 מרץ 2012 00:44

תשובות

• Hi,

32bit applications can run on 64 bit Windows System, but 64 bit applications cannot run on 32bit.

Juke Chou

TechNet Community Support

יום שני 19 מרץ 2012 15:34
  • Applications developed targeting a 32 bit operating system (i.e.: compiled by means of a 32 bit compiler) will run on 32 bit and on 64 bit operating systems: Windows uses an x86 emulator named WOW (Windows32-On-Windows64) that enables Win32 applications to be run on 64-bit Windows operating systems.
    Applications developed targeting a 64 bit operating system (i.e.: compiled by means of a 64 bit compiler) will run only on 64 bit operating systems; there are some applications (for ezample, Micrososoft SharePoint 2010) that run only on 64 bit operating systems and claim developers to use 64 bit compilers to build solutions based on those applications.

If you're interested in 64 bit development, read the MSDN Magazine article that you find at the following address

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/magazine/cc300794.aspx

Bye.

Luigi Bruno - Microsoft Community Contributor 2011 Award

יום שני 19 מרץ 2012 18:20

כל התגובות

• You need to find the appropriate forum on the MSDN website which is for software developers.

This forum is a peer-to-peer user forum and very few, if any, developers hang around here.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”

יום חמישי 15 מרץ 2012 13:44
  • Hi,

32bit applications can run on 64 bit Windows System, but 64 bit applications cannot run on 32bit.

Juke Chou

TechNet Community Support

יום שני 19 מרץ 2012 15:34
  • Applications developed targeting a 32 bit operating system (i.e.: compiled by means of a 32 bit compiler) will run on 32 bit and on 64 bit operating systems: Windows uses an x86 emulator named WOW (Windows32-On-Windows64) that enables Win32 applications to be run on 64-bit Windows operating systems.
    Applications developed targeting a 64 bit operating system (i.e.: compiled by means of a 64 bit compiler) will run only on 64 bit operating systems; there are some applications (for ezample, Micrososoft SharePoint 2010) that run only on 64 bit operating systems and claim developers to use 64 bit compilers to build solutions based on those applications.

If you're interested in 64 bit development, read the MSDN Magazine article that you find at the following address

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/magazine/cc300794.aspx

Bye.

Luigi Bruno - Microsoft Community Contributor 2011 Award

יום שני 19 מרץ 2012 18:20
  • Thanks for your response.  This is along the lines of what I thought but clarifies it for me.

Thanks again

Regards

Alanjo

יום שני 09 אפריל 2012 20:08