none
Offline Files Very Slow

Semua Balasan

• Hi ,

The issue occurs if your network device does not support Remote Differential Compression. Please follow the steps below to disable it.

1. Click Start>Control Panel>Programs>Turn Windows features on or off.

2. Uncheck “Remote Differential Compression” and click OK.

3. Restart the computer and you should see an improved performance with copying files.

If the issue persists, temporary disable antivirus and firewall then check the result again.

Tracy Cai

TechNet Community Support

18 Juni 2012 8:33
  • Thanks for the response Tracy, unfortunately that didn't help though. We've even tried rebuilding one of our PCs with a completely blank Windows 7 image without any of our software on it (so no anti-virus software or anything) and just joined it to the domain, moved it into an OU that has no GPOs applied at all, then logged on with a test user that has no GPOs applied to it at all other than folder redirection, and we still see the same kind of problems. Here's some example timings I've taken for copying 120 MB worth of files between various locations:

From C: to C: = 11 seconds

From C: to network drive (not available offline) =  25 seconds

From C: to My Documents (available offline, online mode) = 35 seconds

From C: to My Documents (available offline, offline mode) = 20 seconds 

We have repeated this test across multiple machines and the times are different based on the spec of the PC but they are always the same relation - i.e. copying to offline files in online mode is always considerably slower than anything else, and even copying in offline mode is always a lot slower than just copying locally from one part of the C drive to another part (which is all is really happening anyway when copying to an offline files location in offline mode right?). There are also some machines where even in offline mode the speed is incredibly slow (over 5 seconds just to load the list of files within a folder), and before you think that its just a slow PC, bear in mind that opening another folder elsewhere that is not available offline (either on the network or on the C drive) loads the list of files in a folder pretty much instantly.

My website (free apps I've written for IT Pro's) : www.cjwdev.co.uk My blog: cjwdev.wordpress.com

18 Juni 2012 12:17
  • Hi ,

Another thing you can try is Disable TCP Auto Tuning.

Go to Start and type cmd in the search bar. Right click on cmd and select “Run as Administrator”.

1. Type netsh interface tcp show global

This will show the current status of auto tuning.

2. Run the command netsh interface tcp set global autotuning=disabled

This disables the auto tuning

3. Similar to enable auto tuning back, use the command netsh interface tcp set global autotuningl=normal

After the above step you may check if the copying performance improves.

Tracy Cai

TechNet Community Support

20 Juni 2012 4:20
  • Thanks, tried that and rebooted and then tried it again but it hasn't helped :( If anything that made it a bit slower - copying 120 MB to the offline location (in online mode) this time took 55 seconds

My website (free apps I've written for IT Pro's) : www.cjwdev.co.uk My blog: cjwdev.wordpress.com

• Diedit oleh Chris128 20 Juni 2012 9:58
    20 Juni 2012 9:41
  • Hey Chris

What Servers are Hosting the Files? (2008R2 or 2003?)

If Server < 2008 R2, try this related solution:

http://www.microtom.net/os-management/windows-management/remote-desktop-very-slow-or-disconnecting-from-windows-7-2008-to-windows-server-2003/

Ist basically disabling the autotuning und receive side scaling:

netsh interface tcp set global rss=disabled
    netsh interface tcp set global autotuninglevel=disabled

Then this (if no luck):

How to re-initialize the offline files cache and database

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/230738/en-us

• Disarankan sebagai Jawaban oleh microtom 20 Juni 2012 12:45
    • Saran Jawaban dibatalkan oleh Chris128 20 Juni 2012 13:28
    20 Juni 2012 12:22
  • The server's hosting the files are Server 2008, but like I said transferring files to the same server but a share that is not made available offline works fine. It is only when working with a share that has been made available offline (either manually or by folder redirection) that things get really slow. What I have just found though is that on one user's machine where it is really slow, if they disconnect from the VPN then it all works fine. Surely this should be no different to them choosing Work Offline? In both situations it shouldn't be trying to communicate with the server, but when they choose to Work Offline it is still just as slow as when they are in Work Online mode (which is pretty slow, as they are connected via VPN over the internet). Regardless of that though, it still doesn't explain why when copying to a network drive available offline would take a lot longer than copying to a normal network drive (when on site connected to the network).

Oh and re-initializing the offline cache isn't going to help, as this is a problem on every PC we have (and even on a brand new PC with none of our software or GPOs on it).

20 Juni 2012 13:28
  • Just done some tests copying a folder from one folder on my desktop to another, and then copying the same folder to my My Documents (which is available offline) and used Process Monitor to capture the file activity on each one, and I set a filter to only include file activity from explorer.exe.

When copying from local to local (one folder on desktop to another) there are on average 14 events logged between the actual creation of each file that is being copied (a duration of 0.0048502 seconds). When copying from local to offline files (desktop to My Documents) there are 135 events logged between each file being created (a duration of 0.0337028 seconds).

I appreciate that there will be some overhead with offline files, but this seems excessive. It seems to just constantly be reading and writing to the file "C:\Windows\CSC\v2.0.6\pq" between every copy and also keeps querying the folders in "C:\Windows\CSC\v2.0.6\namespace\PATH_TO_MY_REDIRECTED_MYDOCUMENTS" a lot before it copies each file to them. Pretty much all of those additional 100+ events that appear in the offline files copy but not in the local copy are just explorer querying properties of the directory in the CSC folder that it is about to copy a file into... it seems to just do the same thing about 10 times.

28 Juni 2012 9:56
  • Hi Chris,

I've got the same issue did you manage to resolve?

Mark

19 Oktober 2012 14:55
  • No I'm afraid not :( we just eventually abandoned using offline files and gave all laptop users a USB hard drive to back up to. Far from ideal...

Funnily enough it got brought up yesterday though, so we might start looking into it again soon - so I'd be really keen to hear how you get on and if you find a solution.

19 Oktober 2012 17:13
  • Hi,

we are having the same problems in a customer project with Win7 Offline Files.
    Copying to / deleting in an "Offline Folder" is up to 2 times slower!

MS is working on a created ticket but meanwhile i think this is "by design",
    because i have this performance issues with 2 different customers.

I think i've tried everything in the last month, but nothing helps.
    If anyone out there has a clue - your welcome!

Guido

IncredibleGBT

05 Februari 2013 14:28