none
Refreshing Client Start Menu Applications After New Applications Have Been Added To The XP Mode VM

Pertanyaan

• Hi,

I am in a situation where I have an active rolled out XP Mode solution which has been rolled across various areas of the campus at the university I work at (around 1200 seats). The deployment is not a clever solution at all due to the way the Uni network security works. You need to manually register the mac address of a machine before network access is granted which rules out using solutions like MedV.  The only way on which XP-Mode could be successfully deployed was to have create a Virtual Machine that is not joined to the domain and is completely stand alone with no network access.  This image was then copied to all the workstations via GPO.   

Since the initial roll out I have had to add more applications of the XP Mode VM.  After updating the image and re-rolling the image back out I’ve noticed that the client
    workstation Start Menu shortcuts (the ones that are generated in the clients Virtual Machines Start Menu folder after the first time a user logs on) to launch the new application are not present on users profiles that have already launched the VM once before.  Any users that have never launched the VM , or have had their profiles deleted, work as expected.

What I am trying to do is find a way that I can force a re-fresh of these Start Menu shortcuts, or even just delete the entry out of the users profile so they have to
    launch the full desktop mode of the VM. 

Does anyone have any advice on how to do this or another potential solution?

Any help would be most appreciated.

Cheers

Shosu

20 Februari 2012 16:45

Jawaban

Semua Balasan

• It seems the application is automatically published. Therefore it shows in the Start Menu and can be directly launch from there without opening the Windows XP Mode.

If you don't want it, you can disable the Auto Publish. See this: http://blogs.technet.com/b/windows_vpc/archive/2009/11/02/publishing-virtual-applications-in-windows-virtual-pc.aspx 

Regards,

Miya

Miya Yao

TechNet Community Support

27 Februari 2012 8:27
  • Hi Miya,<o:p></o:p>

The users/students like having the shortcuts on the start menu and it’s publishing the default ones fine. The problem is if I add new applications to the XP Mode image and then re-launch the VM. These new applications then do not appear in the Start Menu.<o:p></o:p>

I'm trying to find a way to force a refresh of these applications so the newly added applications appear.<o:p></o:p>

Cheers<o:p></o:p>

Shosu<o:p></o:p>

D C Masters

05 Maret 2012 9:49