none
Taskbar disappears, start button remains

Pertanyaan

• We have a number of Windows 7 installations (Enterprise, 32 bit, with German language pack). ONE of the users (on a Dell Latitude E4300) has the problem that after some time, the task bar disappears, but the start button remains on the screen (and continues to function):

Photobucket

Using Task Manager to kill explorer.exe and restart it solves the problem for a while. 
    15 Februari 2010 7:16

Jawaban

• Hi

This behavior can happen if a registry key has become corrupted. Using an Administrator account, perform the following.

Go to Start and type  regedit.exe. In the Results, right click regedit.exe and select the Run As Administrator option.

In the Registry editor, navigate to the following key.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\StuckRects2

Right click the StuckRects2 key and select Export. Name the file srbackup.reg and save it to the Desktop. This will be the backup in case something unexpected happens.

Right click the StuckRects2 key and select Delete.

Exit the registry editor and restart Explorer.exe.

Let us know the results.

Thank You for using Windows 7

Ronnie Vernon MVP

15 Februari 2010 22:09

Semua Balasan

• Hi

This behavior can happen if a registry key has become corrupted. Using an Administrator account, perform the following.

Go to Start and type  regedit.exe. In the Results, right click regedit.exe and select the Run As Administrator option.

In the Registry editor, navigate to the following key.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\StuckRects2

Right click the StuckRects2 key and select Export. Name the file srbackup.reg and save it to the Desktop. This will be the backup in case something unexpected happens.

Exit the registry editor and restart Explorer.exe.

Let us know the results.

Thank You for using Windows 7

Ronnie Vernon MVP

15 Februari 2010 22:09
  • Thanks Ronnie! The user is on vacation today, but I will check as soon as she returns.
    16 Februari 2010 9:29
  • HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\StuckRects2

Hi,

that helps in most cases. However we have one user where it only helps for hours. After a short time, the problem re-appears.

Deleting the StuckRects key helps for the moment, so I created a desktop icon for him that deletes the key, and he users that multiple times per day. But that can't be the solution =)

Does anyone know that is the reason for this key corrupting?

Thanks

Stephan

04 Juni 2010 5:19
  • Hi, I have fixed many PC's from many problems and i experienced this problem before! I fixed this problem by starting task manager, kill task "explorer.exe" then on the bottom right corner of the task manager it should say "new task". Click that and then type "explorer.exe" and the taskbar should come back! 

04 Maret 2012 21:17
  • James, that's exactly what I wrote in the opening post:

Using Task Manager to kill explorer.exe and restart it solves the problem for a while. 

But only "for a while" - I wanted a permanent solution. Anyway, it seems that it was fixed in some update.

26 Maret 2012 8:21