none
Windows 7 Right-Click malfunction

Domanda

• Hello,

I wanted to right-click on "my computer," but once I right clicked on my computer, Windows Explorer just freezes, the mouse loading icon just keeps loading, and it'll show Windows Explorer not responding... I can still right-click on the desktop to create new folder..etc, but I just can't right-click on any file or my computer...please help.

thanks,

James

venerdì 3 febbraio 2012 09:22

Risposte

• You may have a misbehaving Shell Extension installed.

There are a couple of good free tools for helping you see what Shell Extensions are installed on your computer, and disabling those you don't want/need.

Shell Extension Viewer and Autoruns.

Both are free downloads, and both allow you to view and disable the things that are installed and run as part of Explorer.

Shell Extension Viewer may be better to help with your current issue...  Use a methodical approach, disable individual highlighted non-Microsoft Shell Extensions, and log off Windows and back on again to test.  Repeat until you determine which Shell Extension is cauing the problem and with it disabled your context menu functionality should be restored.

Another thing you can do to check your system overall is start an elevated CMD window, and use the SFC tool to check to see if any of your protected operating system files has been overwritten:  Use the command SFC /VERIFYONLY to check, and if it does report a problem you can try the command SFC /SCANNOW to have it automatically repair such a problem.  Note that these commands can take a very long time to run, so allot enough time sp that you don't need the computer for other tasks.

Good luck!

-Noel

Detailed how-to in my new eBook: Configure The Windows 7 "To Work" Options

sabato 4 febbraio 2012 14:22

Tutte le risposte

• Have you run virus scans?
    venerdì 3 febbraio 2012 14:06
  • Check for a newly installed application that provides an Explorer right-click enhancement.  Several years ago, I had a similar issue with early builds of WinRAR.
    sabato 4 febbraio 2012 06:11
  • You may have a misbehaving Shell Extension installed.

There are a couple of good free tools for helping you see what Shell Extensions are installed on your computer, and disabling those you don't want/need.

Shell Extension Viewer and Autoruns.

Both are free downloads, and both allow you to view and disable the things that are installed and run as part of Explorer.

Shell Extension Viewer may be better to help with your current issue...  Use a methodical approach, disable individual highlighted non-Microsoft Shell Extensions, and log off Windows and back on again to test.  Repeat until you determine which Shell Extension is cauing the problem and with it disabled your context menu functionality should be restored.

Another thing you can do to check your system overall is start an elevated CMD window, and use the SFC tool to check to see if any of your protected operating system files has been overwritten:  Use the command SFC /VERIFYONLY to check, and if it does report a problem you can try the command SFC /SCANNOW to have it automatically repair such a problem.  Note that these commands can take a very long time to run, so allot enough time sp that you don't need the computer for other tasks.

Good luck!

-Noel

Detailed how-to in my new eBook: Configure The Windows 7 "To Work" Options

sabato 4 febbraio 2012 14:22