none
Windows 7 Freezes on start-up..

Domanda

• I use the Windows 7 Professional x64 Platform. I have reloaded my system and this error still occur. I've been adjusting my system for the past several months trying to figure out what it is that has been causing the system instability.

While Event log only records operations entering a stop mode, or in ability to start. Even tinkering with the Services has not done anything much; turning aero off, removing registries, start-up configurations, policy settings, ect.. nothing has really made this problem stop occurring.

However, I've managed to notice when the problem occurs. At start-up, right before the Action Center Flag has loaded completely(Flag Icon on the taskbar, near the clock). During the time before the Action Center flag pops up getting productive on the system is risky, opening up anything that isn't part of Windows, is only when the freeze has occurred.

The Action Center is part of the Kernel, core Security, of the System Security Service. There isn't much anyone can do to get around that problem. Other then not doing much at all until the lil flag has fully loaded.

Disabling it doesn't do anything, there isn't any driver that I need or any other system critical problem. Other then the background services of Windows7. I even set up my system to cache for system services/Background Services, but still the freeze would occur.

I've almost reloaded XP, because I don't like having to wait for my system to have a flagged clear of being able to start doing, what ever it is I do. Then I realised Vista, and Windows7 beta, had a fault with the registry sync: when you disabled the Power Management from system services, after 10mins of idle/applied system power settings was set, your system would freeze. So what I have been tinkering with now, is disabling the power management features, inside of the Control Panel's "Power Options ". Turning off Power Options is what I have been doing recently. I haven't found it freezing yet, but I've had my system stable for a week before. Until it started freezing up at start-up again.

I have seen many questions about this, and comments. Feel free to state an address to your situation/knowledge of this problem.

I will add anything else new I find.

mercoledì 18 novembre 2009 22:45

Risposte

• Thanks everyone..

for your thoughts and ideas. It happen to be a Internal problem of my system.
    My powerbox was not applying efficient enough power to my system...

Sounding not ordinary, as it is. How I resolved this was, just as uncommon, and without even buying new hardware just yet.

Before I would switch over my powerbox on.. I would then give it a moment, before turning on the main power button.
    After the system was energised for ten minutes, after turning it on. I would then logon to my system and no more freezes.

The problem was only noticed inside the BIOs of my system. Even though my Protected Storage service would have shown critical halts, my internal voltage meter was not charging enough, making insufficient power.

Resolved by, allowing my system to warm up, simply.

Again thanks for everyone's help..
    • Contrassegnato come risposta Shadow-Copy domenica 13 dicembre 2009 01:18
    domenica 13 dicembre 2009 01:18

Tutte le risposte

• Here is a list of things to troubleshoot:
    • Faulty memory module. Blue screens if not caused by software are likely to be caused by bad memory. It is not unusual that a machine works perfect with Windows XP and then starts behaving badly when upgraded to Windows 7 due to changes in memory management. Use built in Windows Memory Diagnostics (on your Windows 7 machines press F8 before Windows starts to load and choose “Windows Memory Diagnostics”) to troubleshoot the memory modules.
    • Driver. Bad drivers are without doubt the most common cause for blue screens. Therefore update your drivers either by going to Windows Update or the hardware manufacturer’s web site. If no Windows 7 driver exists for the hardware go with the Windows Vista driver as good as all Vista drivers work with Windows 7.
    • BIOS. When having problems with hardware in any way and particularly blue screens I would strongly recommend a BIOS upgrade as that many times improve stability and compatibility. Also resetting the BIOS settings to the default is always a good idea.
    • Bad hard drive. Bad hard drives are sometimes causing blue screens. I recommend using Hitachi’s Drive Fitness Test, which can scan any brand of hard drives for errors. This tool can be found at http://www.hitachigst.com/hdd/support/download.htm
    giovedì 19 novembre 2009 15:28
  • Why not install a Windows 7 RTM version which is more stable than the Beta version?

In addition, I recommend you update drivers and BIOS for the comptuer first, then you can try the method in the following KB to find if it is caused by third party programs.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135/ 

Hope this can help you.

John

------------
    In my opinion, why not install the RTM version to save your time.

John
    venerdì 20 novembre 2009 06:41
  • Hi Andreas.
    No, Blue Screens are stack dumps from applications, not from hardware, but can be caused from improper installation of drivers.

Majority of the time stack dumps are invalid queries from applications.

You can also acquire stack dumps errors if Windows is not installed properly.

A the stack dump, is a safety feature Microsoft configured to keep windows from creating hardware failures.

Windows 7 has not stack dumped, it has been stalling, or becoming un-responsive.

Please re-read what I posted prior.

venerdì 20 novembre 2009 07:52

• John, I have the retail version. As the first sentence I posted, on my first comment, "I'm Using Windows 7 x64 Professional"-- Not the Release Candidate.

All my drivers are up-to-date, as I've already said. There is no Conflicts of any drivers/hardware. There is not anything that was installed improperly.
    venerdì 20 novembre 2009 07:59
  • Adjusting the power options has not changed the effect.  I took the time to check out the bios of my system, everything was normal. I even added more compatibility features. Windows 7 seems to recognise everything, but it is all Microsoft's drivers. Having no conflicts, ect.

While even if the drivers are saying their installed correctly; it is possible that my system is not recognizing many of the driver runtimes, Microsoft has in place for my motherboard's components.

I'm not sure why Microsoft would force install Microsoft brand drivers, inplace of factory default drivers(nVidia,ATI,Intel). Doing so could damage a system.

In other words what could be happening is, Windows 7 has installed drivers that are Microsoft branded drivers for my motherboard. Drivers that are not really compatible with my motherboard.

venerdì 20 novembre 2009 08:16
  • Hi,

When the freeze issue began to hahhpen? If the system would freeze once we performed a Clean Installation of Windows 7, or installing some programs. In addition, does you computer still freeze when we click the Action Center icon or at other stage?

As  your confusion, I would like to tell you that the Windows 7 would load the drivers intergrated in the system when you install the system, It's better to upgrade the drivers from the Manufacture, since the driver is supplied from the OEM.

If the issue occured once we installed the system, the issue may be caused by the hardware driver compatible. It's better to update the drivers. If the issue just occured after installing some applications, I suggest you to test our issue in safe mode, and clean boot mode to narrow down the cause of the issue.

Hope this helps.

John
    venerdì 20 novembre 2009 10:14
  • Try disabling the Windows Update service. I've had an identical freeze issue ever since installing Windows 7 and I narrowed it down to the Windows Update service. When it's disabled no freeze.

If it works though, please let me know as you'll be the one other person in the world that seems to be having this issue. My internet searching to date has turned up absolutely nothing.
    domenica 22 novembre 2009 20:15
  • At this point, some Windows Update components may corrupted. I recommend running Reset Windows Update Tool and System Update Readiness Tool to the repair the Windows Update components first.

Step 1: Run Reset Windows Update Tool and System Update Readiness Tool
    ====================================
    1. Please download and run Reset Windows Update Tool from the link below:

http://go.microsoft.com/?linkid=9665683

2. Please download and run System Update Readiness Tool from the link below according to the System Type:

System Update Readiness Tool for 32-bit Windows 7
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=44e15787-66b0-4e9c-9c3b-1fc9ea40f69f&displaylang=en&Hash=rASFhHKAxZok8t6ar%2b%2b%2byONSHNZafT3txhn4YF1mgoSN70QPg%2fkUEwqpFKsCuQEUIpkmy%2b4EBzKWLf2KbgK82A%3d%3d

System Update Readiness Tool for 64-bit Windows 7
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=914fbc5b-1fba-4bae-a7c3-d2c47c6fcffc&displaylang=en&Hash=71RBdEzWY5%2f1xRlVV1lQarGObxuQxRwF71dDdTK4C5E%2fMlEm%2bD1s9Kymd7EthFMrh0fga7ulYlGupQpWcVwx%2bw%3d%3d

After that, please verify the relevant Windows Update services, we can refer to the following steps.

1. Click the Start Button, in Start Search box, type: "services.msc" (without quotes) and press Enter.
    2. Double click the service "Windows Update".
    3. Click on the "General" tab; make sure the "Startup Type" is "Automatic" or "Manual". Then please click the "Start" button under "Service Status" to start the service.
    4. Please repeat the above steps with the "Background Intelligent Transfer Service", “Windows Installer” and “Windows Modules Installer” services.

John

martedì 24 novembre 2009 02:05
  • Thank-you, thank-you, thank-you! Didn't think I was ever going to get that fixed, but followed your instructions and is all working again ... hurrah! Thanks again :)
    mercoledì 25 novembre 2009 21:12
  • Followed Johns instructions, was able to get a reboot to the desktop without a freeze.

Seemed I had some unusual BSoD when I was playing iTunes last night while sleeping. Said I had either bad memory, or bad video card memory. Did a few tests of the memory, came back without errors. As for the Nvidia 9800 GT video card, I have no idea how to check it's memory. Dell's technical support won't replace the video card unless the screen goes black - or produces some sort of error code.

Did reboot to Vista x86 and got a message on boot-up that drive M was determined to need repairs. Accepted it, but I didn't think I had a drive M. Come to find out the 2GB JumpDrive I have installed to an internal USB card, which is ReadyBoost enabled, was the M: Drive. -- Makes me wonder if that was the memory culprit...

Anyhow, I also ran up "msconfig" and disabled some programs in the Startup tab:
    * Adobe Reader and Acrobat Manager
    * Adobe Acrobat
    * CTxfiHlp - Creative Labs software, yet I did a program update afterwards without issue.
    * iTunes
    * NCSoft Launcher - an automatic Aion patcher
    * NVIDIA nTune
    * QuickTime

Did not see any of these programs as being a necessity on startup.

Also noticed in Device Manager, Networking , that "Microsoft Teredo Tunneling Adapter" had a yellow /!\  before it. Not knowing what it was, removed it. Never showed back up again. Come to find out later is was the IP6 protocol Microsoft stealthed in there.

Now to reboot again and see if there's another freeze; I hope not.

Also see two updates that seem to want to update the OS, and I'm just not comfortable with them just yet:
    * Update for Microsoft XML Core Services 4.0 Service pack 2 for x64-based Systems (KB973688)
    * Update for Windows 7 foe x64-based Systems (KB976098)

Think I want to see stability in Win7 x64 before I go installing more updates.

==========
    ========== ========== ========== ========== ==========

Just noticed that Jump-Lists no longer function after this fix; can no longer pin to the taskbar; and cannot add new shortcuts to the Favorites in Windows Explorer. /grr  

Notes:

* Jump-lists in the Start Menu won't expand/pane out like before. Hovering the mouse cursor over them now does nothing. (Used to expand/pane out to a window to show recent activity.)
    * The remaining applications in the taskbar do have their "pinned" lists still, and I can add to them.

* Used to be able to drag a new path shortcut to the Windows Explorer Favorites (navigation pane), then rename them. Now nothing gets added, all new shortcuts get ignored completely.

========== ========== ========== ========== ========== ==========

Had followed someone else's post on fixing the jump list issue, will quote/cite it here.

[quote]Miguel_pt  @ Friday, November 06, 2009 10:07 AM
    Windows 7 Explorer jump list disappeared

This process erases all the pinned items on all of your programs (you'll have to pin them again afterwards), but the functionality of the windows explorer jumplist will return to normal.

1. Delete all files at %APPDATA%\Microsoft\Windows\Recent\AutomaticDestinations
    2. Delete all files at %APPDATA%\Microsoft\Windows\Recent\CustomDestinations
    3. Reboot
    4. Re-pin all the items you wish

Good luck! [/quote]

========== ========== ========== ========== ========== ==========

So much for progress. Guess if I delete the contents of both those folders, in hopes to regain productive abilities, then the OS freezes will return again?

• Modificato Xelkos giovedì 26 novembre 2009 11:30 two older issues came back after the fix
    giovedì 26 novembre 2009 11:13
  • Thanks everyone..

for your thoughts and ideas. It happen to be a Internal problem of my system.
    My powerbox was not applying efficient enough power to my system...

Sounding not ordinary, as it is. How I resolved this was, just as uncommon, and without even buying new hardware just yet.

Before I would switch over my powerbox on.. I would then give it a moment, before turning on the main power button.
    After the system was energised for ten minutes, after turning it on. I would then logon to my system and no more freezes.

The problem was only noticed inside the BIOs of my system. Even though my Protected Storage service would have shown critical halts, my internal voltage meter was not charging enough, making insufficient power.

Resolved by, allowing my system to warm up, simply.

Again thanks for everyone's help..
    • Contrassegnato come risposta Shadow-Copy domenica 13 dicembre 2009 01:18
    domenica 13 dicembre 2009 01:18
  • Binarysolo

Windows Defender when initialise attempts to start many services automatically, as well.

Windows Defender can also not be removed from Windows 7.

domenica 13 dicembre 2009 01:22
  • I don't see how waiting 10 minutes actually solves your problem. It shouldn't have to wait. Either you have an insufficient power supply or another hardware problem.
    MCSE, MCSA, MCDST
    domenica 13 dicembre 2009 16:38
  • Why not update your BIOS to improve the power allocation.
    John
    martedì 15 dicembre 2009 10:06