none
set desktop background group policy

Domanda

• We set via group policy a desktop background .bmp (also tried jpg) with company logo, which works well on 2003, xp, vista, 2008. However on windows 7 things do not work so well. If a user has logged on previously, then the picture seems to work.

However, if a new user logs in, there is only a black background (and the taskbar). Right click desktop, personalise, select desktop background, the correct picture appears in the list of available pictures and is ticked, but it still wont display as the desktop background. As you go to logoff the computer, the correct desktop background picture breifly appears before teh logon background screen is displayed.

We do set default theme in group policy which works when a new user is created, however, the theme pictures are not displayed either if a desktop bacground is set in gp (it does display properly if bg not set in gp).

any ideas???
    thanks
    martedì 25 agosto 2009 13:32

Risposte

• Hi,

It's a known bug:

It seems the Registry key [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop\WallPaper] is missing and caused this problem. To work around this issue, please create a String Value [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop\WallPaper] on client and try to set wallpaper. 

We can use Group Policy Preference->Registry to deploy this Registry key or use user logon script to deploy this Registry key.

Thanks.

mercoledì 2 settembre 2009 02:04

Tutte le risposte

• Hi,

It's a known bug:

It seems the Registry key [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop\WallPaper] is missing and caused this problem. To work around this issue, please create a String Value [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop\WallPaper] on client and try to set wallpaper. 

We can use Group Policy Preference->Registry to deploy this Registry key or use user logon script to deploy this Registry key.

Thanks.

mercoledì 2 settembre 2009 02:04
  • Hi,

It's a known bug:

Thanks.

Actually, you need a value named Wallpaper in the key [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop].

Ie, "Wallpaper"="<path to your wallpaper>"
    mercoledì 2 settembre 2009 02:21
  • Hi,

Can you clarify where the registry entry should be added, what it's name should be, and what value(s) should be included?

I'm quite new to Group Policy and am struggling to get this to work.

Thanks,

lunedì 28 settembre 2009 15:43
  • Vladimir:

I know nothing of Group Policy Preference. I haven't played with that yet.

If you want to try Group Policy, there is also the setting "\User Configuration\Policies\Administrative Templates\Desktop\Desktop\Desktop Wallpaper".

Or you could use a .reg file:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop]
    "Wallpaper"="C:\\Windows\\Web\\Wallpaper\\img1.jpg"

• Proposto come risposta Brian Borg mercoledì 7 ottobre 2009 19:46
    • Proposta come risposta annullata Brian Borg venerdì 1 luglio 2011 16:33
    lunedì 28 settembre 2009 22:45
  • Thanks Brian,

Seems to be working quite nicely now. For now I've run the reg file on the broken PC's, and it works fine.

Thanks for the help everyone.
    martedì 6 ottobre 2009 14:15
  • Hi there,

I know this is an old issue (has microsoft fixed it properly yet) but Im having a similar problem but I do have that registry setting.

I have created the registry entry as per this and other postings, and I have even changed it to a local wallpaper file, even though the wallpaper on the server share was available. It has been created using the group policy preferences.

I still get a black screen. If I right click on the desktop I can see the corporate wallpaper as an unsaved theme and as the current wallpaper. Right click and refresh does nothing.

Anyone have any ideas what is going on...?

The main DC is a windows 2003 server (group policy preferences created using a domain attached windows 7 machine).
    The XP users receive the desktop wallpaper in the usual way and all the active desktop settings in the normal GPO are set.

Anyone have any ideas..?

Thanks
    Rolf
    martedì 29 dicembre 2009 22:42
  • I've got this same issue, but creating and running the reg file will only apply to the current user, correct? I tried this on a users computer but they don't have privileges to run the reg file.
    If they are unable to edit the registry will this also fail to work if i put it in a script?
    I am not that familiar with scripts so can anyone show me how to make a batch or what ever to include the reg entry?

Thanks,
    Geoff
    giovedì 21 gennaio 2010 06:01
  • Hi,

As of today morning we have a fix available for this issue.

You can download the Hotfix straight off the KB article page.

The "Desktop Wallpaper" Group Policy setting is not applied in Windows 7 or in Windows Server 2008 R2
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/977944

• Proposto come risposta Brian Borg martedì 9 febbraio 2010 22:10
    martedì 9 febbraio 2010 08:28
  • How to deploy the hotfix in all the computers??

Thanks.

Johan C
    lunedì 14 febbraio 2011 16:27
  • Can you send me instruction on how to apply group policy from windows 2003 server to XP machines for desktop background?

Thanks

Nimit Shah

venerdì 1 luglio 2011 14:38
  • Here are instructions on deploying this registry fix to your computers:

http://deployhappiness.com/setting-the-desktop-wallpaper-background-with-group-policy/

If my answer helped you, check out my blog: DeployHappiness. Subscribe by RSS or email. 

venerdì 16 agosto 2013 13:36