none
BSOD Every 60 min

Domanda

• Hi;

First post requesting help.

I get the BSOD approximately every 60 minutes.  I can reboot succesfully back into Windows and it will work fine for another 60 or so minutes.

I have :

run Memtest  - no problems found

run Performance test - no problems found

replaced video driver with latest

run msConfig and restarted system with nothing but basic

Blue screen error: A process or thread critical to  windows . . . . .  Technical:  STOP:  0x000000F4  (0x0000000000000003, 0xFFFFFA8007D81600,0x . . . . D818E0,

0xFFFFF80003390510) last three 0x. . . . .  are always different.  collecting data for crash dump . . . initializing disk for crash dump.

There is no C:WINDOWS\Minidump present on computer.

Windows 7 Home Premium 64  SP1

Intel i5-2500K CPU @ 3.30 GHz    . .   . .    RAM 8.00 GB

ATI HD 6870 graphics W 1GB

Help !

Joe

martedì 5 giugno 2012 01:25

Risposte

• I found the answer !  Turns out it is/was not a Win7 problem, but a drive problem.

I was following some links on another Win7 forum and happened upon mention of SSD drives causing a BSOD.  The one in particular mentioned was a Crucial M4 SSD. It sounded familiar . . . I have one as my C: drive.  Turns out I needed a firmware update. The update corrects a condition where an incorrect response to a SMART power-on counter will cause the m4 drive to become unresponsive after 5184 hours of Power-on time. The drive will recover after a power cycle, however, this failure will repeat once per hour after reaching this point. 5184 hours is about 7.2 months. Just a bit under how long I've had this system.

I applied the update . . . . . computer has been running seven hours now.

Thanks to all who helped me here.

Joe

• Contrassegnato come risposta JoePeeDee mercoledì 6 giugno 2012 02:33
    mercoledì 6 giugno 2012 02:32

Tutte le risposte

• Sorry post is so fragmented.   BSOD about 2 min after I posted.  Very frustrating.
    martedì 5 giugno 2012 01:36
  • Hi,

• What is the Root partition free space?
    • Disable the hibernation using the command "powercfg.exe -h off" without quotes in admin privilege.
    • Turn off the system restore for some time.
    • Change the virtual memory settings to as system manged.
    • It there are multiple memory modules, try to boot the system with one memory module.
    • Scan your system with latest updated antivirus program.
    • Also refer the Microsoft Article http://support.microsoft.com/kb/330100

Regards Jinish.K.G|HCL Infosystems LTD

martedì 5 giugno 2012 09:48
  • Hi, back again.

Not too sure on how to accomplish your suggestions, so far here is what I've done.

What is the Root partition free space? - if you mean C:    60GB / free 27.7

Disable the hibernation using the command "powercfg.exe -h off" without quotes in admin privilege.  -  I've done this.

Turn off the system restore for some time.  -  Not sure, but I believe I have done this. 

Change the virtual memory settings to as system manged.  ?  - back in XP I could find this function easily - Win7 ?

Scan your system with latest updated antivirus program.  Done  . . . nothing found on all 3 drives.  (AVG)

The last BSOD was different.

KERNEL_DATA_INPAGE_ERROR

STOP:  0x0000007A  (0xFFFFF6FC40018DB0,0XFFFFFFFFC000000E,0X00000001B36C5BE0,0XFFFFF880031B6000)

then :collecting data for crash dump and initializing disk for crash dump

and once more no C:windows\Minidump folder.

Will remove one 1 memory module and also verify C: is not a "slave" per the MS article.

Thanks for the reply.  Joe

martedì 5 giugno 2012 14:54
  • Hi, I think there is some software or service the starting of which is causing the problem or a system file is corrupt. Go to My computer. Right click on the system drive and select properties>tools>check now. Check both the options and click start. System will ask for a restart. Click schedule disk check and restart the computer. A disk check will run. Wait for it to finish and do not interrupt it. Then start the system and I hope the problem will be gone.
    martedì 5 giugno 2012 15:19
  • I found the answer !  Turns out it is/was not a Win7 problem, but a drive problem.

I was following some links on another Win7 forum and happened upon mention of SSD drives causing a BSOD.  The one in particular mentioned was a Crucial M4 SSD. It sounded familiar . . . I have one as my C: drive.  Turns out I needed a firmware update. The update corrects a condition where an incorrect response to a SMART power-on counter will cause the m4 drive to become unresponsive after 5184 hours of Power-on time. The drive will recover after a power cycle, however, this failure will repeat once per hour after reaching this point. 5184 hours is about 7.2 months. Just a bit under how long I've had this system.

Joe

• Contrassegnato come risposta JoePeeDee mercoledì 6 giugno 2012 02:33
    mercoledì 6 giugno 2012 02:32

Joe

Wanted to add for reference:

The original post from Crucial acknowledging the issue. BSOD Crucial M4

The fix is as simple as updating the firmware, but the hoops to jump through for the firmware update to take place is a bit frustrating.

With my board, z68-v pro, it was necessary for me to go into the bios and change my controller mode to IDE. In addition I needed to remove the drive connected to the Marvell port and plug it into the Intel port as well as put my two ssd's on the first and second Intel ports. Once this was done I was able to get past the 'finding drives' screen and update the firmware for both ssd's. Once the update finished I went back into the bios and changed the controller mode back to AHCI. As i said, a frustrating experience but I commend Crucial for owning up to the issue rather than lead people to think their ssd's needed replacing or something was wrong with windows and subsequent unnecessary re-installs.

lunedì 11 giugno 2012 05:00
  • thanks so much!  This has been happening to me for the past week.  I've had my system with the crucial for about the same amount of time.  I haven't applied the update yet but I'm sure this is the problem.
    mercoledì 21 novembre 2012 06:27
  • You have to disable the TRIM function of your SSD. That is the solution.
    lunedì 15 luglio 2013 15:46
  • Can't seem to reply to the original post, nor can't I use my regular handle since I'm already using it elsewhere on the MS site.

Anyway, I'm having similar problems with a BSOD every 1h0m3s when my system is idle. Though my BSOD does generate a .DMP and references to 0x124 (generic hardware failure), while CPU, GPUs (SLI) and RAM are all okay. I checked the HDDs (3 total in my system) last month and those also came out okay.

Oddly though, I can format the HDD, but installing Windows XP x64 (needed before I can use the Win7 Ultimate x64 upgrade version) isn't working - it just hangs my PC completely. But when I book Ubuntu from a USB stick it runs normally.

I spoke with my brother earlier today and he had a similar HDD issue a few months back and his D drive was dieing. Thanks to a friend on Steam this thread popped up, and I surely hope that indeed the HDD is the problem and not my motherboard (which I thought to be the problem).

Oh, perhaps worth to mention, the HDD that's probably faulty is a SATA2 drive I bought in 2007 ;-)

domenica 13 aprile 2014 14:28