none
Win 7 Ultimate SP1 x64 memory leak in audiodg.exe

Domanda

• I seem to have the issue described in this KB article: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/981013

I have a Jpeg documenting the memory leak. I have attached it. 

When I downloaded the hotfix, the installation routine fails with the dialog box that says "The update is not applicable to your computer.". The title of the dialog box is "Windows Update Standalone Installer". 

There is an OK button. When I push it the hotfix installer closes.

Here is an image of the memory leak as per process explorer. 

As far as I can tell, I have the correct hotfix. It is called 409416_intl_x64_zip.exe. I got it via an emailed web link MS sent me from the hotfix page. 

Is there a better answer? 

The workaround for the memory leak for now is to stop and restart windows audio service, so I am not completely stuck. But it took me a long time to come up with that workaround. 

Thanks for your time. 

Marcus

sabato 11 febbraio 2012 21:14

Risposte

• Hi,

First, I would like you to know the hotfix doesn't apply to Windows 7 Service Pack 1.

Regarding the issue, please let me know if the issue only occurs on that voice mail. How about other programs to play the sound?

Meanwhile, I suggest updating latest audio card driver from manufacturer manually, performing clean boot for a test.

Niki Han

TechNet Community Support

lunedì 13 febbraio 2012 09:35
    Moderatore
  • Also:

Check that you have audio effects disabled.

Uninstall all old versions of Java. Install the latest version from Oracle.

Disable AVG completely during testing (though if this is causing a problem, uninstalling it may be the only way of checking), if it's a suite that includes a software Firewall, ensure that the inbuilt Windows firewall is enabled.

martedì 14 febbraio 2012 08:00

Tutte le risposte

• The audio that I am running is a java application that is a web service. This particular web service is a voice mail provider that allows me to communicate with patients. It allows me to leave messages that patients can securely listen to, and this protects their privacy. That is why it is called SecureReach. It is at www.securereachsystems.com. 

sabato 11 febbraio 2012 21:19
  • Hi,

First, I would like you to know the hotfix doesn't apply to Windows 7 Service Pack 1.

Regarding the issue, please let me know if the issue only occurs on that voice mail. How about other programs to play the sound?

Meanwhile, I suggest updating latest audio card driver from manufacturer manually, performing clean boot for a test.

Niki Han

TechNet Community Support

lunedì 13 febbraio 2012 09:35
    Moderatore
  • Also:

Check that you have audio effects disabled.

Uninstall all old versions of Java. Install the latest version from Oracle.

Disable AVG completely during testing (though if this is causing a problem, uninstalling it may be the only way of checking), if it's a suite that includes a software Firewall, ensure that the inbuilt Windows firewall is enabled.

martedì 14 febbraio 2012 08:00
  • Hi everyone. Thanks for those great suggestions. 

I have been using my workaround for now. I have build a tiny batch file macro that stops and starts audiodg.exe. When my macro runs, the memory used goes back to the start and I have a few minutes to half an hour to get my work done. I even thought of putting my restart macro on a timer to just keep doing it. 

But now that I have these suggestions I will try them. 

I do have the latest drivers for everything. 

I will clear out old java's and reinstall. 

And then I will try disabling or removing AVG and see if that works as well. 

I'll post my results when I get them. 

Thanks. 

sabato 3 marzo 2012 16:24
  • I have done a bit more experimenting. I can reproduce the memory leak with this procedure. 

Clean boot. 

open processexplorer (procexp.exe). 

right click speaker in task bar

left click sounds (the applet opens)

left click asterisk (test button becomes available) 

Click the test button - the green arrow

Inside process exporer find audiodg.exe and right click it and select properties. 

left click the test button repetitively. 

On every click audiodg.exe gains about 170 KB. For 10 clicks it gains 1.7 MB. 

---------------

Every time I click Asterisk the memory used by audiodg.exe goes up. 

It may be a coincidence but the sound file is Windows Error.wav, about 170 KB. 

Maybe it isn't being unloaded? 

I didn't try it without java and AVG yet, but I will. 

I am still using my workaround successfully. 

• Modificato marcus1111 giovedì 22 marzo 2012 02:07 refining procedure
    giovedì 22 marzo 2012 02:05
  • i suffer from similar memory leak within audiodg.exe,

unfortunately hotfix http://support.microsoft.com/kb/981013

which is supposed to be included with SP1 not helps or fail resolve this one

happening with multiple Creatie Labs X-fi cards and various drivers

(including last official and last beta),

resulting leak is 3-6GB memory consumed by just audiodg.exe

Ideas are like ocean without borders!

• Modificato Dwarden mercoledì 9 maggio 2012 02:12
    martedì 8 maggio 2012 23:16
  • As long as audio enhancements are enabled on any driver, Audiodg leaks a few hundred kilobytes up to a full MB every time you disconnect or connect a usb device.  I assume these sounds are played via the shell hardware detection service rather than the shell itself, as triggering other sounds in windows do not affect the audiodg memory use.

The ops reproduction steps do not trigger it with the AudioDG handle leak hotfix installed

martedì 26 giugno 2012 20:51
  • none of this bullshit works i have everything disabled and have tried it all. I bet you its Microsoft's way of trolling so u buy windows 8
    martedì 9 aprile 2013 07:13
  • Wouldn't do you any good. It's august already and I have this problem on Windows 8. Every body says right click the playback device and go to the enhancements tab, but for me there IS NO enhancements tab!
    giovedì 1 agosto 2013 08:50