none
Issue with Windows Photo Viewer: "can't save picture because an unknown error occured"

Domanda

• Hi,

I recently installed Windows 7 RC (Build 7100). I quite often have an issue in Windows Photo Viewer when rotating an image and trying to go to the next picture. It gives me the error "Windows Photo Viewer can't save picture because an unknown error occured".

Seperate from this issue: when I delete a picture in Windows Photo Viewer, it is still in the Windows Explorer overview of files. This did not use to be the case in Windows XP?

Kind regards,

Frederik
    sabato 19 settembre 2009 23:37

Risposte

• Hi SOSv2,

This should be fixed in Windows 7 RTM.

Also, you can install Windows Live Photo Gallery to view and rotate pictures as well. To download it, please click HERE. For more information about Windows Live Photo Gallery, you can a question on Windows Live Answers.

In addition, please understand that Nikon RAW images (and most Canon) do not support rotate functionality in Windows Photo Viewer, and thus rotate is disabled. To rotate those types of images, the user will need to use an image editing program that fully supports their RAW codec.

Regards,

Linda

• Contrassegnato come risposta Linda Yan giovedì 24 settembre 2009 01:18
    lunedì 21 settembre 2009 06:55

Tutte le risposte

• Hi SOSv2,

Also, you can install Windows Live Photo Gallery to view and rotate pictures as well. To download it, please click HERE. For more information about Windows Live Photo Gallery, you can a question on Windows Live Answers.

In addition, please understand that Nikon RAW images (and most Canon) do not support rotate functionality in Windows Photo Viewer, and thus rotate is disabled. To rotate those types of images, the user will need to use an image editing program that fully supports their RAW codec.

Regards,

Linda

• Contrassegnato come risposta Linda Yan giovedì 24 settembre 2009 01:18
    lunedì 21 settembre 2009 06:55
  • Just to confirm, I'm using Windows 7 (64bit) Enterprise and I'm regularly experiencing the same error when rotating images, close the viewer, go back to the image and rotate again and it often works fine....

sabato 17 aprile 2010 06:26
  • Hi SOSv2 ,

Also, you can install Windows Live Photo Gallery to view and rotate pictures as well. To download it, please click HERE . For more information about Windows Live Photo Gallery, you can a question on Windows Live Answers .

Regards,

Linda

I am using Win 7 x64 Ultimate RTM and still have this problem (with JPG's dumped from my Nikon to the hard drive).  Doesn't do it on every one that I rotate, but still very annoying.  Is there a fix?
    domenica 13 giugno 2010 00:29
  • Ditto! I have the same setup and same problem. I'm having a hard time finding any information about this irritating issue.
    lunedì 21 giugno 2010 13:27
  • Likewise.  I'm using a Sony Vaio VGN-FW56E with the OEM build of Win7 Home Premium .  I'm pretty sure it's behaved this way since I took it out the box.

I've noticed some other similar issues that make me think perhaps it's not a Photo Viewer issue specifically but something more fundamental.  If for example I select, say, 50 photos in Windows Explorer and assign Tags to them, sometimes (not always) I'll get an "Invalid File Handle" error on one or two as it progresses.  If I tell it "Try Again" (or "Retry" in old money ... why do they change these things?) then it will work and continue.

I wonder if the same issue that's preventing photo viewer saving the changes to a rotated image is preventing Explorer from saving the amended .jpgs with the new tag info?

• Modificato Platthome domenica 15 agosto 2010 12:46 More information
    domenica 15 agosto 2010 12:38
  • has this been resolved yet? I too am experiencing the same problem... it doesn't happen with all photos just some of them, and if I try to rotate the same photo a few minutes later it works fine. Why do I get this error, and how can it be fixed?

Cheers

venerdì 22 ottobre 2010 21:42
  • I started having this problem when i got my self iPhone 4s.

But I guess it is the iOs5 that causes the problem.

Come on guys! :)

domenica 27 novembre 2011 21:57
  • Same problem from picture taken from iPhone (at least with my 4S) when there is a person or a face in the picture. It seems that the picture was tagged with something that prevents the Photo Viewer to rotate. There is no problem with other type of pictures without people face.
    giovedì 22 dicembre 2011 02:59
  • It is the 4S; I have no problems with photos from other sources on any machine.

The iPhone 4s is doing something to the photo, not allowing it to be rotated.

There is not a Permissions issue on any of my drives or partitions, I can edit / move delete any photos that come from other then my 4S.

And actually some of the photos on the 4S can be edited but most of them cannot.

Let's go to Apple then .....

• Proposto come risposta Vapor2112 lunedì 19 marzo 2012 13:49
    • Proposta come risposta annullata Vapor2112 lunedì 19 marzo 2012 13:49
    • Modificato Dani Ghe lunedì 19 marzo 2012 16:53
    • Proposto come risposta Dani Ghe lunedì 19 marzo 2012 16:53
    giovedì 5 gennaio 2012 21:28
  • I have the same problem trying to rotate photos in Windows photo viewer that were taken with an iphone 4s.  I was able to rotate the photo with Paint.net which is a free program you can download.  

lunedì 19 marzo 2012 13:53
  • Just experienced this issue with pictures downloaded from iPhone4s.  The problem is due to some tags/properties that are corrupted or that windows doesn't understand.  Even using the 'remove properties' option from the properties/details window doesn't work.  I found a reference in another forum to this property stripper program which does work:

http://www.steelbytes.com/?mid=30

However, that strips ALL the properties from the photo, which is not good either b/c now things like 'date taken' are cleared, leaving you with no metadata at all.  This is something that the Windows OS should handle.  It should write the valid properties and eliminate any corrupt/unsupported tags.

domenica 25 marzo 2012 17:51
  • The easiest way to fix this is to copy the files (photos) to a different folder in the hard drive or from one device to another (SD card / phone to computer).

Used the copied files, they are recreated fresh, and Windows will recreate the file properties making them editable again.

• Proposto come risposta dwillson01 sabato 2 agosto 2014 18:43
    sabato 2 agosto 2014 18:43