none
Replace hard drive that boot from VHD is on

Domanda

• I have 2 hard drives in my machine.  One hard drive has Windows 7 Beta on it installed natively on the hard drive.  The second hard drive has Windows 7 RC installed to a VHD.  I would like to replace the hard drive that the VHD is on with a larger hard drive.  I booted into the Windows 7 Beta installation, copied the VHD on the hard drive I wanted to keep, replaced the second hard drive, and then copied the VHD to the new hard drive.  When I tried to boot into the Windows 7 RC VHD...it gave me an error that my hardware had changed.  Is there anyway to get around this without reinstalling Windows 7 RC?
    sabato 6 giugno 2009 03:14

Risposte

Tutte le risposte

• The Windows file system is more than what you can see in Windows Explorer. Windows writes identifiers to the hard drives. When you copied the vhd to another drive, the internal identifiers did not get copied. If you want to copy the contents of a drive to another and have it work exactly the same way, you must use image copying software such as Acronis, Ghost, or gpartd. Image copying software copies both the files and the internal file system identifiers.

sabato 6 giugno 2009 04:03
  • Well if that is truely what it is going to take to do something like this...that will limit the benefits of installing to a VHD.
    sabato 6 giugno 2009 14:08
  • Did you try using bcdedit to drop and recreate the entry for the vhdboot?
    sabato 6 giugno 2009 15:23
  • No, I did not but I guess I could try that.  The existing bcdedit entry pointed to the same location but I guess it is worth a try.
    sabato 6 giugno 2009 15:25
  • I've literally installed Vista on the VPC beta on the 32bit RC and proceeded to copy the three files named Vista over to a separate drive running the 64bit RC there. Once the VPC beta and XP mode were all set up and the three files ".vhd", ".vmc", and ".vmc.vpcbackup" were then copied over to the users>(user name)>AppData>Local>Microsoft>Virtual Machines sub folder Vista loaded right up when double clicking on the Vista.vmc file itself on the next drive on the same system.

The BCD editing tools are used for the BCD store on the physical hard drive for configuration purposes. You wouldn't see that used on a virtual hard drive.
    lunedì 8 giugno 2009 07:32
  • I've literally installed Vista on the VPC beta on the 32bit RC and proceeded to copy the three files named Vista over to a separate drive running the 64bit RC there. Once the VPC beta and XP mode were all set up and the three files ".vhd", ".vmc", and ".vmc.vpcbackup" were then copied over to the users>(user name)>AppData>Local>Microsoft>Virtual Machines sub folder Vista loaded right up when double clicking on the Vista.vmc file itself on the next drive on the same system.

The BCD editing tools are used for the BCD store on the physical hard drive for configuration purposes. You wouldn't see that used on a virtual hard drive.

What you are doing is different than what I am doing.  Starting with Windows 7 and Windows 2008 R2, you can boot a computer directly from a VHD.  This requires installing the OS to a VHD and editing the BCD to boot from the VHD.  Installing to a VHD is a different process than creating a VM, attaching the OS DVD/ISO to the VM CD-ROM and then booting to install the OS.
    lunedì 8 giugno 2009 10:15

What you are doing is different than what I am doing.  Starting with Windows 7 and Windows 2008 R2, you can boot a computer directly from a VHD.  This requires installing the OS to a VHD and editing the BCD to boot from the VHD.  Installing to a VHD is a different process than creating a VM, attaching the OS DVD/ISO to the VM CD-ROM and then booting to install the OS.

I'm well aware you can setup a dual boot with a virtual machone. That's nothing new there.  http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/64bit/russel_virtualmachine.mspx

The idea of running through the VPC beta while booted in the primary installation of 7 as a means of preserving the second drive's vhd setup there since you are replacing that drive. Once the new drive is in most will prefer the obvious end result of seeing a completely fresh installation all over again for the best working results.

This will simply allow you to run the original installation while no longer being configured as a dual boot until seeing the new fresh vhd configured the same. This would only a temporary application allowing you time to go back and forth until you are satified with the new installation that will be needed.
    martedì 9 giugno 2009 02:09