none
SBS 2003 Server in Win7 Virtual PC attempts to validate SBS 2003 and fails

Domanda

• I'm trying to run SBS 2003 on Virtual PC so changes I make don't effect the live server.  I've created VHD files for the SBS2003 and created the virtual SBS2003 which boots just fine in Win7 Box.  But when I try to login, it tries to activate SBS2003 and fails, kicking me out back to login screen.  So I tried the phone activation service, and they don't recognize the product.

I'm assuming the activation is due to hardware change even though it's in virtual?  Is there a way to fix this?

lunedì 6 febbraio 2012 16:36

Risposte

Tutte le risposte

• Hi,

How did you create VHD file of SBS 2003?

Based on my knowledge, you should not activate the Windows on your Virtual Machine if that same copy of Windows has already been activated for your physical machine.

Alex Zhao

TechNet Community Support

mercoledì 8 febbraio 2012 08:47
    Moderatore
  • Thanks for reply.

I've used DISK2VHD downloaded from technet.  And VHD was created from live SBS2003 server.

When the SBS2003 virtual is started, right after logging in, the very first thing it does is attempt to activate the Windows.  If I cancel activation, it logs me out.  If I attempt to auto activate over Internet, it fails.  If attempt to manual (phone) activation it fails.

Not sure what to do from this point...  So frustrated, and I need to get this working so I can start the migration process.

mercoledì 8 febbraio 2012 16:35
  • Alex also asked if you are continuing to use the copy of Windows that you made the disk2vhd copy from.  You cannot create a vm that way and still continue the original on the host or elsewhere.  It is a licensing issue.

Colin Barnhorst Windows 7 Ultimate x64 on DIY with 6GB ram.

mercoledì 8 febbraio 2012 17:17
  • Yes, I cannot shutdown the working SBS2003 server until I finish the migration from the virtual.  The physical SBS2003 will be running until the migration from virtual SBS2003 to new physical 2008 server is completed.  The virtual SBS2003 and pysical 2008 server is on completely different physical network from the physical SBS2003.

So, I cannot run virtual SB2003 temporarily to do the migration while physical server is up?

mercoledì 8 febbraio 2012 17:49
  • Hi,

In fact, this is a license issue indeed.

Alex Zhao

TechNet Community Support

martedì 14 febbraio 2012 08:49
    Moderatore
  • In some of the articles I found googling, recommended using virtual to migrate so it won't effect the normal operation until the migration is completed.  So then, this is not possible without shutting down the production server?  Oh, boy, little nervous about shutting down...
    martedì 14 febbraio 2012 16:33
  • Those that describe doing it from a virtual machine probably assume you
    will put it on a totally separate test LAN, rather than the LAN that the
    production server is on.

Bob Comer - Microsoft MVP Virtual Machine
    martedì 14 febbraio 2012 16:48
  • The virutal machine is in totally separate LAN.  Production server is on cable internet, the virtual is on DSL internet, with separte modem/router/switch/sbunet/etc...

I'm still stumbling, trying to find away to migrate without having production server touched...

I re-entered the product key code, and it activated ok.  I hope this won't effect our physical server.  Now begins the journey of migration...
    giovedì 16 febbraio 2012 23:58