Windows 7 RC gets the (not responding) message on ALL apps and windows opened

質問

• When I was running the beta version on my laptop, everything ran really fast, but after doing a clean install of the RC 7100, every program and window that I open get the "not responding" message in the top bar. What is so drastically different in the RC, that is causing my system to slow down so much? I loaded all the same drivers that I used in the beta version. Also, it takes forever to boot, sometimes 5 - 10 minutes.
    2009年6月23日 17:27

すべての返信

• This issue can be caused by software confliction. Let’s disable all startup items and third party services when booting. This method will help us determine if this issue is caused by a loading program or service. Please perform the following steps:

1. Click the Start Button type "msconfig" (without quotation marks) in the Start Search box, and then press Enter.

Note: If prompted, please click Continue on the User Account Control (UAC) window.

2. Click the "Services" tab, check the "Hide All Microsoft Services" box and click "Disable All" (if it is not gray).
    3. Click the "Startup" tab, click "Disable All" and click "OK".

Then, restart the computer. When the "System Configuration Utility" window appears, please check the "Don't show this message or launch the System Configuration Utility when Windows starts" box and click OK.

Please test this issue in the Clean Boot environment, if the issue disappears in the Clean Boot environment, we can use a 50/50 approach to quickly narrow down which entry is causing the issue.

Arthur Xie - MSFT
    2009年6月24日 9:16
    モデレータ
  • I had already done that. I am running a clean boot, but the problem is still there. I have even turned off the drive index in an attempt to speed up drive access when navigating my hard drives. I still get the not responding on everything, including opening "My Computer" to look at my drives. I opened Outlook 2007, and it took almost 5 minutes to open. Also, when I just cleared all startup services and programs (excluding Microsoft), it took 8 minutes to get to the login prompt when I rebooted.

Please keep in mind, I'm running the same drivers and programs that I did with the Beta version, but had no problems whatever until I went to the RC

Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated
    2009年6月24日 15:49
  • Does your hardware configuration meet the basic requirement of Windows 7 RC system? 1 GHz or faster 32-bit (x86) or 64-bit (x64) processor 1 GB RAM (32-bit) / 2 GB RAM (64-bit) 16 GB available disk space (32-bit) / 20 GB (64-bit) DirectX 9 graphics processor with WDDM 1.0 or higher driver If so, I suspect that the issue is caused by the display driver. I suggest that you change the current Windows theme rather than Windows Aero. If the issue still occurs, please temporary uninstall the anti-virus. If the above suggestions do not help, please open Event Viewer, open the branch "Windows Logs\Application", pay attention to errors regarding Windows Explorer. There may be some clues.
    Arthur Xie - MSFT
    2009年6月25日 6:29
    モデレータ
  • This (Not Responding) problem will be a real show stopper for Windows 7 if not fixed soon!  I see the problem mentioned in many places on the web.

I also downloaded and installed the Windows 7 RC 32 bit on top of my Vista Ultimate OS, so I have Windows 7 RC Ultimate.  I have a DELL XPSGEN5 with 4GB memory, RADEON X850 XT Platinum Edition Video Card, and lots of disk space.  I remember being very pleased with Windows 7 after using it for several weeks.  Lately I've been getting the (Not Responding) with several of my applications-Windows Media Player, Outlook, and several others.  With Windows Media Player, it just happened as soon as I clicked on Open to determine which file I wanted to process.  Sometimes it finally responds but sometimes I can wait for hours and it will not respond.  Could one of the windows updates have caused this problem?

Del

Del Thibodeaux
    2009年7月14日 16:17
  • i can't belive all pc's have this issue, but for me it was doing the same thing.
    it got to the point where it would not work at all even after just restarting pc.
    i found my hdd had bad blocks, reformatted and reinstalled, all ok so far.
    i have the new 2.5" 9.5m 7200rpm 500gb coming, should be here by end of week, will have to reload again.
    I was using the 5400rpm version for this test, there is a big difference in the 2 models.

--just my 2 cents worth....

2009年7月15日 5:40
  • Add me to the Not responding apps list of Win 7 RTM 64 bit users.

My System:
    MSI K9A2 Platinum mobo (I initially thought this was a mobo issue and sent it in for repair when this started a few months back)
    AMD Athlon X2 (4850e) 2.5 GHz dual core
    2 x 2GB PC 8500 G.Skill RAM
    2 x HD 3850 512MB HIS PCIe graphics cards
    300 GB WD Velociraptor - boot drive
    640 GB WD Caviar - data drive

History:
    This system is just over a year old and has worked flawlessly with Vista 64. Win 7 beta worked fine. Initially Win 7 RTM also worked fine, in early June it began to experience locks up and occasional BSODs. RMA'd the mobo where suppossedly they found component failures, repaired it and returned it. Win 7 was reinstalled after wiping the drive. The system has worked fine for the past month, but once again is exepriencing Not Responding on any/all apps that are open at the time (mouse movement always works, but nothing else will repsond)

Symptons:
    These can occur almost immediately from a cold boot, or may not occur untly the machine has been on for 12 hours. Scrolling down on a loaded page in a browser, with no other activity on the machine and the browser (FF or IE) will lock, produce a busy hourglass and a not responding header. Attempting to launch Task Manager takes minutes to complete (the buffer will accept all the mouse actions but take minutes to respond, and then process them all at once after being non responsive, only to become non responsive again). Once task manger is up, and the system non responsive the CPU will hover between 1% and 6% and mostly be the taskmgr, but the system will not respond. When in the not responding mode it is not possible to end tasks, but when respponding this works fine; when not responding and task manger is up it is possible to switch tabs or sort processes, just not end them.

Composing an email in Outlook, coding in Visual Studio, watching a streaming video or anything else I use the computer for will suddenly freeze, this may be for 10-15 seconds or 3-5 minutes. Task Manager will show 40% CPU when things are working, then suddenly drop to 6% or less during the not responding duration, and then magically come back to 40% when responding. However once the "lockups" or not responding periods begin they are longer than the periods of normal operations.

If I lose patience and and force a restart or power down the subsequent restart takes 5- 10 minutes where a normal start up takes 30 seconds.

Observations:
    I've create a bootable Win 7 VHD with only the OS and latest updates installed. Booting into this VHD has the same symptons as mentioned above (only have IE and Explorer to work with). A July 28th post on this topic suggested disabling Windows Media Player Networking Services, I tried that but still had the same not responding issues.

I have an HP Pavilion notebook that runs Win 7 RTM 64 that does not have these lock ups and not responding problems. Unfortunately both systems do have one problem in common with Win7 64 that the did not have with Vista 64 and that is being able to find the internet on boot up. This is probably not at all related to the lock ups, but both machines see my network and each other, yet neither can access the internet until I open the Network and Sharing Center, go to the adapter settings and disable and reneable the adapter, at which point they will find the internet.

It is now less than a month to the official release of Win 7, I truly hope it is ready and that these problems are resolved. It would be nice if there was some resolution or meaningful suggestions to this problem between now and then.

my 2¢

Steve
    2009年9月27日 21:16
  • Exact same problem here. I actually have two computers running Win 7 Professional. A laptop, from work, running 32 bits, and my home PC, running 64 bits. Both computers have plenty of RAM and processing power (4 gigs each, Core 2 Duo) Exact same issue on both computers. I had Vista before and everything was fine. The laptop was an upgrade from Vista 32 Pro onto 7 32 Pro. The home PC was a clean install, formatted HD and all. EXTREMELY frustrating. Some applications have the problem more often than others. My main application from work, which relies heavily on telnet protocols seems to lock up the most. I've always been an IBM PC/Microsoft guy. But after years of this from MS, I am oh so ready to take the plunge into MAC! Come on MS! Win 7 was supposed to FIX Vista, not break it!

Raphael Louis Ferreira.
    2009年10月19日 18:33
  • And by the way, I already tried changing to windows classic interface. :-( No success there. Still same problem.

Raphael Louis Ferreira
    2009年10月19日 21:41
  • Sounds like you may wish to look for software that is common between the two systems (AV, shell extensions, services, etc.).  Then start eliminating it.
    2009年10月20日 0:42
  • I now have three systems, since I got a new workstation at work. Exact SAME problem, Win7Pro 64 bits. I don't see anything that is common between the machines. Maybe the workstation and the laptop, but the home computer?? I even checked if there is some software that's common between the machines, like an anti-virus, but nothing, except for Microsoft Office! Very frustrating!
    2010年2月5日 22:58
  • And add me to the list ! Win7 64-bit.  BRAND NEW PC, 6GB Ram, P6T MoBo, EVGA275 graphics.  New install of Windows 7 on a new HD, etc. BullDog security, etc.  All hardware passes compatibility tests, memory tests, etc.

Pretty much every application/program suffers from Not Responding on a regular basis (like clicking Reply on this IE page!).  Tried running with XP/Classic look and feel but no difference.  Unplugged all peripherals, printer, etc.. still Not Responding with almost every application, sometimes every few minutes. 

I suspect the problem was installing Office 2007.  I don't recall such obvious Not Responding time outs before we loaded MS Office but I can't say for certain (didn't use the computer much before installing Office).

This must be a real surprise for Microsoft.  No one has offered a difinitive fix in the dozens of websites I've explored.
    PY

2010年2月6日 10:50
  • add me to the list as well, I have the same symptoms as described by "ss86"
    my system: thinkpad x61t, Win 7, 64bit, 4GB RAM, office 2007, adobe CS3,..

I've tried:
    * uninstalling Avira Antivir
    * ran a total hardware check by Lenovo Thinkvantage PC Doctor
    * BIOS update
    * the power button thing as suggested in http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7performance/thread/ae9468d9-168e-44ef-a54b-b4812f55dc61 by "The Solution" on Sunday, December 20, 2009 5:24 PM

2010年2月9日 12:58
  • I have a new Dell with Win 7 and was pretty happy with the program until I now get "Not Responding" with IE8, Opera, Firefox, and Outlook (so far). For a while, I had Adobe Flash problems, solved by uninstalling and reinstalling. Flash video would not run, period.
    "Not Responding" is not as severe an issue as the blue screen of death, but having to restart an app is getting very annoying. I better not even think about clicking a link on a web page, that really tosses a wrench in the reduction gears, locking both apps up and forcing me to the tsk tsk manager. Office 2007 is used on this Dell
    2010年2月9日 17:39
  • OK everyone, I may have found the culprit. Try disabling search indexing. That did it for me. After I disabled all indexing the problem simply went away. Re-enabling indexing brings the problem back. Try it and let us know! ;-)

How? Here:
    1-Click on the Windows logo buttom (start button in Win7).
    2-Start typing index in the "search programs and files" box. This should bring Indexing options.
    3-Click indexing options.
    4-Windows for indexing options will open.
    5-Click on modify
    6-Uncheck all check boxes
    7-OK and close everything.

Worked for me.

Raphael
    • 回答の候補に設定 raphaf2001 2010年2月10日 17:18
    2010年2月10日 17:18
  • Tried disabling search indexing - still the same problems.
    2010年2月13日 14:04
  • I had the same problem on a brand new machine and it was killing me. Freezing up with "Not responding" in every program and huge delays when I set the system to shut down. But the manufacturer for my laptop recently came out with all new drivers for Windows 7 and after installing them the problem was totally gone and hasn't returned in 2 weeks (knock on wood).

The drivers I updated were:

Chipset
    Video
    Lan
    Audio
    On board camera
    Card reader
    Touchpad
    Fingerprint
    Hotkeys
    Gamekeys
    Infrared
    Firewire (1394)
    Wireless

I now have everything turned on (media, indexing, system restore, page files etc) and still have had no issues.
    Good luck all.

2010年3月3日 20:41
  • i knock on wood as well:

did not try anything specific. some software (win7, firefox, antivir) automatically ran updates.

but it seems it is gone. :)

2010年4月6日 2:44
  • I too have the same problem. none of the above fixes worked. but i did manage to find out that every time my computer freezes and then start i have the following log created in event reporting tool.
    the following gets logged 

Information 4/5/2010 9:34:53 PM Windows Error Reporting 1001 None

the report is following.... 

Log Name:      Application
    Source:        Windows Error Reporting
    Date:          4/5/2010 9:34:53 PM
    Event ID:      1001
    Task Category: None
    Level:         Information
    Keywords:      Classic
    User:          N/A
    Computer:      Bharath-PC
    Description:
    Fault bucket , type 0
    Event Name: MpTelemetry
    Response: Not available
    Cab Id: 0

Problem signature:
    P1: Microsoft Antimalware (BCF43643-A118-4432-AEDE-D861FCBCFCDE)
    P2: 2.1.6519.0
    P3: TimeOut
    P4: 1.1.5605.0
    P5: local
    P6: unspecified
    P7: unspecified
    P8: 
    P9: 
    P10: 

Attached files:

These files may be available here:
    C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\ReportQueue\NonCritical_Microsoft Antima_7cb56a23b5d5597d96c72bf30775b73abf1ab6a_0444e12c

Analysis symbol: 
    Rechecking for solution: 0
    Report Id: 53d65f1b-412d-11df-a165-001558cc2e6f
    Report Status: 0
    Event Xml:
    <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
      <System>
        <Provider Name="Windows Error Reporting" />
        <EventID Qualifiers="0">1001</EventID>
        <Level>4</Level>
        <Task>0</Task>
        <Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
        <TimeCreated SystemTime="2010-04-06T03:34:53.000000000Z" />
        <EventRecordID>74636</EventRecordID>
        <Channel>Application</Channel>
        <Computer>Bharath-PC</Computer>
        <Security />
      </System>
      <EventData>
        <Data>
        </Data>
        <Data>0</Data>
        <Data>MpTelemetry</Data>
        <Data>Not available</Data>
        <Data>0</Data>
        <Data>Microsoft Antimalware (BCF43643-A118-4432-AEDE-D861FCBCFCDE)</Data>
        <Data>2.1.6519.0</Data>
        <Data>TimeOut</Data>
        <Data>1.1.5605.0</Data>
        <Data>local</Data>
        <Data>unspecified</Data>
        <Data>unspecified</Data>
        <Data>
        </Data>
        <Data>
        </Data>
        <Data>
        </Data>
        <Data>
        </Data>
        <Data>C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\ReportQueue\NonCritical_Microsoft Antima_7cb56a23b5d5597d96c72bf30775b73abf1ab6a_0444e12c</Data>
        <Data>
        </Data>
        <Data>0</Data>
        <Data>53d65f1b-412d-11df-a165-001558cc2e6f</Data>
        <Data>0</Data>
      </EventData>
    </Event>

ANY INFO. on this and how to make it not run this error reporting. 

2010年4月6日 3:40
  • Thank you very much,

i use  Windows 7 RC Ultimate/ with Toshiba satellite - 2g ram 1.8 Ghz preos. - intel core T7100 + invidia 8700

I hade the (Not Recponding) problem with all the softwars, programs and online games in my computer and it tacks exactly 1 minute to respond, some times it takes more . i used to have this messege every 5 - 10 minutes  some times less some times more .

now after i used <Arthur Xie - MSFT> way to use only the basic boots my system works perfectly . and thank you very much for the usfull information

P.S : i tryed every singel way in the internet but this one only worked ^_^ thnx .

WorldsPlay

2010年4月25日 14:53
  • I too am having the (Not Responding) problem with Windows 7 Ultimate.

I did a clean install of Windows 7 on my Acer Aspire desktp PC back in January. It has been working absolutly fine, until about a month ago, when I started gettin the (Not Responding) message. This is becoming more and more frequent. I have bought a Registry Cleaner and have cleaned and defraged the registry, but this seams to have no effect on the problem. It is becoming increasingly frustrating that I have to keep closing the program that is (Not Responding) and re-open it.

I paid £189.95 for my copy and I expect it to work properly. If anyone has any ideas on how to resolve this problem, other than installing it from scratch again, it would be greatly appreciated.

My faith in Microsoft products is fading very fast and am seriously considering a Mac.

Mike

2010年5月8日 10:42

I did a clean install of Windows 7 on my Acer Aspire desktp PC back in January. It has been working absolutly fine, until about a month ago, when I started gettin the (Not Responding) message. This is becoming more and more frequent. I have bought a Registry Cleaner and have cleaned and defraged the registry, but this seams to have no effect on the problem. It is becoming increasingly frustrating that I have to keep closing the program that is (Not Responding) and re-open it.

I paid £189.95 for my copy and I expect it to work properly. If anyone has any ideas on how to resolve this problem, other than installing it from scratch again, it would be greatly appreciated.

My faith in Microsoft products is fading very fast and am seriously considering a Mac.

Mike

2010年5月8日 10:50
  • I think I am having the same problem although mine seems to be linked to an atapi error id 11, which is to do with the new SATA HDD I bought and loaded Win7 onto.  Is anyone else with this problem getting the same error in their error logs or is mine a completely different problem?
    2010年5月9日 3:55
  • It is patently obvious by the recent silence from Microsoft that there does not seem to be a solution to this problem as yet. This also does not seem to be linked to any specific program conflict or hardware setup, but rather exclusively is a Windows 7 issue. There have been some very different solutions offered which appear to work on some computers but not on others but nothing I have seen which addresses the core issue and is an overall solution. I need help here as even Apple is starting to appear attractive as a company alternative.
    2010年5月14日 16:29
  • Ihad this problem aswell. What i done to fix it was go to device manager and individually check for driver updates on everything in device manager. When i got to storage controllers i got a message saying that "windows could not find driver software for your device". So, after trying to find a driver for it with no luck, because i couldnt really be bothered, i just disabled the storage controller and now i never get the "not responding" message.

Basically from what i can see its a driver problem so all you need to do is find out which driver it is thats causing it and update it or do as i done and disable it.

Probably wont be the same for everyone but i hope what i hav said helps.

2010年5月15日 17:52
  • tried the same as above but found every drivers was "the best installed", still no solution????? How long does MS expect us to wait for a fix as this is affecting allot of people :(
    2010年5月26日 17:42
  • Fujitsu Notebook Model A1110 Upgraded to Windows 7 Home premium from Windows Vista Home Premium 64X 

All applications give an error message of Not Responding after few minutes of usage or the moment it is loaded, Even when I try to save an image off the internet all browsers give a Not Responding error

The applications I am using are: MS Outlook, IE, Firefox, Google Chrome, Skype, Yahoo Messenger, MS Word. All basic software. I am amazed to see so many complaints on the web with similar issues and a fix has not been issued by Microsoft. 

Bad karma on the part of CEO's and chairman of Microsoft, you guys are extracting money from the society and not fixing this issue. 

2010年5月28日 20:49
  • I see the same problem.   It's especially irritating since it prevents fast switching to different tabs in Firefox.   Only a reboot resolves it and even then the problems start again after a few hours.  I have an Inspiron 6000 and 32 bit Windows 7.

2010年5月31日 21:07
  • Disabling "Desktop Window Manager Session Manager" fixed the "Not Responding" in various programs instantly; anti-virus programs had nothing to do with it.

Windows 7 64bit Ultimate:  Control Panel ->  System and Security ->  Administrative Tools ->   Services ->  Desktop Window Manager Session Manager  ->  Disabled

• 回答の候補に設定 vfxcorp 2010年8月14日 13:53
    2010年6月1日 17:03
  • I have all so been tackling this problem. I am of the belief that it is definitely, without question a problem that is directly related to Windows 7. I upgraded from Vista, and never had this problem. I have used Windows 7 Home Premium and done every imaginable fix. I thought I had it by disabling the WER service (Windows Error Reporting). I heard from a M.S. Moderator that this was the problem. The system basically stops responding if another program or service doesn't respond fast enough. This is not the case, although I do think it decreased the frequency of occurrences. It's so annoying to have everything freeze, and then ghost, and then bounce back. This could take 30 seconds or 5 minutes. Using the Task Manager to end the program quickly seems like a better alternative than waiting. Microsoft needs to take this seriously! I am now using 7 Ultimate, and it's the same ____. I am 100% positive that there is a big or maybe tiny problem with Windows 7. I have done everything suggested, and some things I have tried on my own. It all so seems like the Event Viewer isn't registering these events. I am not positive of that though, and if anyone knows the error code I would appreciate it. WE NEED A PATCH OR HOT FIX MR. MICROSOFT!!!!!! PLEASE,PLEASE,PLEASE!!!
    Knowone39 Compfix2010@comcast.net
    2010年6月8日 21:45
  • It gives me a great deal of comfort seeing others in my situation. I've tried a couple of things to fix it (turned off aero, didnt work) the newest thing I did just tonight after reading this thread again was to uncheck indexing and disable Desktop Windows Manager Session Manager.

Hopefully one of these has worked, I'll keep you updated if it does work. (If you're curious, any program I'm using randomly go into not responding for 10-20 seconds. I get them 2-3 times an hour of playing on my computer).

With any luck on our side, windows will release an update that addresses this issue.
    Goodluck all.

2010年6月12日 18:22
  • Have had the same problem for some time. Started with just Outlook and progressed to other programs. Funny, I tried to run Indexing as suggested, but I got a not responding message. It doesn't happen all the time and sometimes I have no problem at all. I uninstalled Adobe reader and that helped for some programs, but its still a problem
    2010年7月4日 12:44
  • Still same problem :(

Has anyone tested the SATA possibility ?? I read allot that it could have something to do with new SATA drives (SATA300). has anyone tested installing on a SATA150 drive or have it installed on a SATA150 drive and having the same problems.....just to rule out the SATA150 vs SATA300........

Secondly, someone told me that booting off the windows cd/dvd and formatting the hard drive from the cd boot, does not actually format the drive correctly, hence causing the problem of "not responding" all the time.....

I am stumped on this as I did a new install (booted of cd/dvd) and ONLY installed the Windows updates, as soon as the updates were on, the problem started straight away :( So I am ruling allot of other things out (antivir, software etc etc ) as only W7 pro 64 was installed and the very first group of updates MS installes on a new install ....

2010年7月8日 14:59
  • Add me to the list. I don't want to list out all the technical terms here but I used to have Vista on my Lenovo laptop and I recently installed Win7 32-bits and it freezes every once in a while. I didnt time it but I think it's around 30 secs to 1 min... Quite annoying. I used firefox and the problem would be worse. So now I am using IE and it freezes less frequently but it still does it. They better fix this thing before I explode and go back to Vista.
    2010年7月20日 16:44
  • I too am having the problem.  I have scoured the internet for the answer tried everything and nothing works.  I have tried numorus reinstalls and nothing.  In fact adding office 2010 to the computer I think makes it worse.  The funny thing is that it worked fine for a couple of months and then all of the sudden its "not responding".  Leave it to Microsoft to make things not work.  Vista, Windows 7, my xbox has been returned 5 times.  One of these days maybe they will make something that works.  I guess I am the stupid one who keeps throwing my money at them and gets nothing in return.  I should of bought a mac this time.  I wont that make mistake again.  Anybody comes up with something I would really appreciate it.  It shouldnt take 10 minutes to check email.
    2010年8月2日 2:09
  •  

I had this problem and I found out what was going on a few weeks ago. I am using an IBM thinkpad R61 and it originally came with vista but after I installed Windows 7 it just got rid of all the driver update software so I went to the official website of my laptop. I was surprised by the amount of updates I needed to download. And now my laptop does do that "not responding" thing again.

Before I figured this out I made a phone call to lenovo and they told me to run my laptop in safe mode, but I mean can you really check everything with a safe mode?? I mean I need to watch online video and all sorts of stuff so that's really not practical, unless I am a computer geek, which I am not.

It's not a huge technical issue I think, but MS just never notify us that once u install Windows 7, all the update drivers that you had have to be installed all over again, instead of buying a new laptop/computer and having everything you need installed. Your computer is like a white piece of paper once u install win 7, so to speak.

So yeah go check out the your computer's official website and see if there's any drivers, software that you need to download. Again, your computer will more than likely NOT automatically update your computer unless you download and install new stuff from the official website. At least that's the case for my lenovo thinkpad.

I hope that help. It was really annoying to have "Not Responding" all the freaking time for no reason.

2010年8月2日 9:11
  • I have a Dell Dimension E310 that came with Windows Explorer and has all the hardware requirements listed above. A while back, my teenage son was playing a game somewhere in "My Space" (I had not known he was doing this). My computer got a deadly virus and crashed. I had taken it to someone to fix it and it came back with Windows 7 ultimate installed on it. He has since moved away. Now my computer freezes frequently/not responding, if left on for sometime it either freezes up altogether or becomes extremely slow - like dial-up kind of slow (well almost). I am not a computer genius but I can get around one pretty good all the same. Please tell me what to do to get this running properly. It is so slow it drives me nuts. I have tried defraging, memory enhancement or some such program, and I think I may have too many "built in" anti virus/firewall/and all that good stuff. but I don't see them all in my programs and I don't know what programs are safe to delete. Help!
    • 回答の候補に設定 vfxcorp 2010年8月14日 13:53
    2010年8月13日 21:50
  • Just turn off the "Desktop Window Manager Session Manager" service and it will fix the "Not Responding" problem.

Windows 7 64bit Ultimate:  Control Panel ->  System and Security ->  Administrative Tools ->   Services ->  Desktop Window Manager Session Manager  ->  Disabled

• 回答の候補に設定 vfxcorp 2010年8月14日 13:56
    2010年8月14日 13:56
  • Is this proposed fix applicable to 32 bit and 64 bit versions of Win 7 H.Premium as well?
    2010年8月14日 21:56
  • I have a brand new HP Pavilion dv6 laptop with an AMD Phenom II N620, 4 GB RAM with Window 7 64 bit professional OS at work and from the start, this (not responding) was an issue. I have disabled Desktop Window Manager Session Manager and will see what happens. I find it incredulous that Microsoft hasn't dealt with this issue. At first it was annoying and now it is a real pain in the ... I hope this does solve the problem.
    2010年8月20日 22:20
  • Add me to this list that shouldn't exist. My laptop is almost a year old, Toshiba Satellite blah blah blah, Windows 7 Premium 64 bit, and yes I tried the desktop window manager session manager thing and it didn't work. I'm about to reenact a certain scene from office space here...
    2010年8月22日 3:41
  • I've been having this same problem since I bought a new Windows 7, 64-bit Dell laptop a couple of months ago.  Recently I thought the problem went away because it stopped for about a week.  It seemed to have stopped after various Windows updates were installed on Aug. 19.  However, now the problem is back.  It seems like this comes and goes, but it is consistent once the laptop is booted - either it periodically hangs and says "not responding" or it never exhibits the problem.  Perhaps something is not booting up properly?

By the way, I have tried disabling various services including the DWM and error reporting service.  It has not made any difference whatsoever.

I hope someone finds a solution soon because this is really annoying.

2010年8月30日 13:14
  • Vfxcorp Stated "Just turn off the "Desktop Window Manager Session Manager" service and it will fix the "Not Responding" problem".

This worked on my 32 and 64 bit laptops. I lost Aero effects which is kind of a bummer, but it doesn't do the not responding thing anymore. This should work until Microsoft acknowledges this is a big boo boo.

• 回答の候補に設定 SizeQu33n 2010年10月13日 21:05
    2010年8月30日 23:11
  • After about 4 months of virtual bliss running a fresh load of Windows 7 64-bit pro on a brand new quad core w/hyper threading... All of my apps suddenly started "Not Responding" for no apparent reason. I was encouraged by vxfcorp's answer and tried turning off Desktop Window Manager Session Manager (manager x2?) which seemed to work for a day or two... But really only stopped the "Not Responding" text at the top of each window. The main apps I'm using which are frozen by this problem are IE8 (32-bit), Windows Explorer and Outlook 2007 (running SP2). I'm looking for the "silver bullet" which resolves this issue. Windows 7 64-bit SP1 perhaps? 

2010年9月4日 1:37
  • I can see there isn't a proper solution for this "Not Responding W7 Bug" that's been bothering all,

My problem started like this; I used my mouse to multiple select 4 folders containing only JPG pictures some are in kbs and some are Mb, what happened after selecting this folders and dragging to the Folder where I want to move to ? Not Responding error - from that point onwards the computer became super slow, checked Errors in Event Viewer, it said HD error (Bad Block) and there it listed a big list of these errors occuring again n again, did a defrag to check to relocate bad sectors & checked in Device Manager - it said the device is working properly, n my pc is just 3 months old and im using Samsung HD103UJ 1TB.

Now, everytime I open  up my pc, all the programs are behaving like this football add golden girls granny who needs a sneaker bar to recharge, anybody has a proper sneaker bar to fix this issue?

2010年9月4日 17:42
  • I am having the same problem over half of the windows in explorer lock up with not responding, and fire fox runs but also locks up, I am forced to ctrl Alt Del  every time and close out and reboot each time till it works, face it I beleav its a problem with vista and windows 7 and no one has an awnser or a fix XP was a lot beter and Microsoft is just giving us a run around.
    2010年9月18日 16:28
  • ok at least I'm not the only one who suffer this. just got the brand new latitude E6410 from my office, 3 GB RAM, 250 GB HDD plenty of empty spaces, intel i5 processors with wondows 7 profesional. not responding comes on all the apps I use, lotus notes 8.5, firefox, even control panel. can not ctrl+alt+del, it was just simply freeze. so I had to pushed the power button long enough to shut it down.

i'm currently updating thru microsoft updates, 57 updates need to be downloaded (470 mb). hope this would solve the problem.

2010年9月27日 8:38
  • Add one more to the list. Ditto all the above. I'm in my 4th week now and apart from a full re-install..........tried everything else. I was even tempted to replace my 1TB HDD as I read one thread which seemed to imply the WD Green drive. Short answer.........that was BO*^%ks.

I use my PC for recording music semi-pro, I cannot afford to this ____ happening every 40 - 50min in the middle of a recording session.

Think I'll go back to XP, at least it didn't suffer from this "Software Fault". Or better still........switch back to the Mac. Wish I had listened to everybody when they said it was a mistake to go to a Windows pc.

2010年10月3日 14:33
  • W

Yes this took a while to tyypeell I see I am not the only person with this issue...... It seems I have done everything short of reloading my operating system to rid myself of this Program Not Responding issue.  If I have to reload my OS it certainly will not be any sort of Windows 7 version (currently running Win 7 Pro) I don't really know when the initial problem started exactly, I am believing it was around the middle of August 2010, since then I have deleted all additional software and any hardware I have installed to see if that rids me of the problem, no success. I uninstalled all versions of IE in hopes that might resolve the issue, no luck there. I  even went so far as to uninstall my Hard drive drivers, as I heard someone had success with that one, No luck there either. My question is does anyone from Microsoft Technical look at these forums or do they just pay attention to those that pay the 49.00 per hours for help???????????

Yes this took a while to type as it seems the Program Not responding message is now showing up every few minutes, I can handle it every once in a while, but every time I click the mouse in the browser is a little on the ridicules side.

2010年10月5日 20:22
  • Disabling "Desktop Window Manager Session Manager" fixed the "Not Responding" in various programs instantly; anti-virus programs had nothing to do with it.

I am a IT Technician and have been dealing with this issue since deployment of Windows 7 Enterprise and have tried everything to resolve this issue. Finally, I can say that it has been resolved...or at least a workaround until Microsoft fixes the way this works!

We've had users getting the "not responding" problem when they would try to open various files/folders that are on the network. This was only happening for our Windows 7 users. With disabling this service in the services.msc, it has actually gone away(tested for a week). We have since applied a Group Policy for it.

I had to register just to let everyone know...thx vfxcorp! If I may ask, how did you know about this service cauing the issue???

2010年10月11日 20:44
  • Exact same problem here. I actually have two computers running Win 7 Professional. A laptop, from work, running 32 bits, and my home PC, running 64 bits. Both computers have plenty of RAM and processing power (4 gigs each, Core 2 Duo) Exact same issue on both computers. I had Vista before and everything was fine. The laptop was an upgrade from Vista 32 Pro onto 7 32 Pro. The home PC was a clean install, formatted HD and all. EXTREMELY frustrating. Some applications have the problem more often than others. My main application from work, which relies heavily on telnet protocols seems to lock up the most. I've always been an IBM PC/Microsoft guy. But after years of this from MS, I am oh so ready to take the plunge into MAC! Come on MS! Win 7 was supposed to FIX Vista, not break it!

Raphael Louis Ferreira.
    I'm with you, Mac, here I come!!
    2010年10月13日 19:43
  • And by the way, I already tried changing to windows classic interface. :-( No success there. Still same problem.

Raphael Louis Ferreira

I did that too!
    2010年10月13日 19:44
  • is there any simple way to update all drivers or is it a one at a time thing? (I'm not a geek, but proficient)
    2010年10月13日 19:54
  • Thank you very much,

i use  Windows 7 RC Ultimate/ with Toshiba satellite - 2g ram 1.8 Ghz preos. - intel core T7100 + invidia 8700

I hade the (Not Recponding) problem with all the softwars, programs and online games in my computer and it tacks exactly 1 minute to respond, some times it takes more . i used to have this messege every 5 - 10 minutes  some times less some times more .

now after i used <Arthur Xie - MSFT> way to use only the basic boots my system works perfectly . and thank you very much for the usfull information

P.S : i tryed every singel way in the internet but this one only worked ^_^ thnx .

WorldsPlay

Can you elaborate? <Arthur Xie - MSFT> is all greek to me.
    2010年10月13日 19:56

Mike

I'll be in line behind you at the Apple store!
    2010年10月13日 19:57
  • I did the disable Desktop Window Manager Session Manager, changed appearance to 'best performance' and so far so good. We'll see how long it lasts.
    2010年10月13日 20:31
  • Vfxcorp Stated "Just turn off the "Desktop Window Manager Session Manager" service and it will fix the "Not Responding" problem".

This worked on my 32 and 64 bit laptops. I lost Aero effects which is kind of a bummer, but it doesn't do the not responding thing anymore. This should work until Microsoft acknowledges this is a big boo boo.

This has worked so far for me. Can someone tell me what this does? If I disable it and everything works better, why is it there???
    • 回答の候補に設定 Franko Polo 2010年11月22日 6:39
    2010年10月13日 21:06
  • Tried this as well.........unfortunately it does not seem to work in all situations. I use a prog called Cubase (a DAW music prog). This is still suffering freezes approx every 40  -50 min.

However, the oither thing that comes to mind is:- WHY THE ____ SHOULD PAYING CUSTOMERS HAVE TO EMPLOY A WORK-AROUND AFTER MANY MONTHS OF THIS PRODUCT BEING ON THE MARKET AND THE PROBLEM IS STILL THERE?

Windows 7 either works as advertised or it doesn't. Why should you have to turn off bonifide services just to be able to use the damn thing?

The number of reports must now run into thousands, but still no reaction from Microsoft.

Can anybody tell me what the consequencies are of turning this service off? What does it do? If it's causing a problem, what is that problem?

Too many questions and not enough answers from a public released product which SHOULD work as advertised.

2010年10月14日 12:09
  • I have to share in your anger and frustration. I had loved Windows 7 and raved about the OS since purchasing my laptop last November. I was given a Netbook not long afterwards. I upgraded the laptop from the basic 7 OS to Ultimate and upgraded the netbook later from XP. Both are not quite a year old.

I just dropped off the laptop today to hopefully have in-warranty work done that may or may not be a result from the "Not responding" issues, the laptop has been completely shutting itself down for no apparent reason numerous times...like 5 or 6 times a day, and an error message from NLS Files apparently missing for some unknown reason after trying to do a system repair. The netbook just started giving the "Not Responding" messages a couple of days ago...which has me contemplating an air strike and a brutal mop-up campaign.  This has gotten progressively worse the past week or so and the laptop completely stopped working last night while I was frantically trying to get my data onto a backup drive.

There is absolutely no reason for two computers less than a year old to be acting the way they are. The last laptop I had went at least 5 years without any problems whatsoever. I ran XP Professional as the OS. I've been a staunch Microsoft fan since the mid to late nineties...and, Yes, I do have some likes with Apple and their movie editing software among other things.

The way things have gone the past 8 months or so have got me wanting to sh#$-can both companies and go completely Open Source. I've used Thunderbird, Firefox, and GIMP for several years and have been very happy with those programs. Ubuntu has been getting some appreciative nods for awhile and honestly, I like what I have read and seen about that operating system. It may be time for a mass Exodus.

2010年10月25日 2:34
  • I'm giving this a shot as well. I am beyond tired of dealing with this.
    2010年10月25日 3:09
  • Raphael,

Thank you for your solution concerning the (not responding) and slow speed problem with Windows 7. I turned off the indexing like you suggested and my VERY FRUSTRATING problem disappeared.

Sincerely,

Dave

2010年11月15日 7:30
  • Well, I finally got this 'Not Responding' issue to stop (at least for now)...

I tried almost everything (except disabling Desktop Window Manager Session Manager), from BIOS settings to checking memory modules to power settings to CPU usage and even http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2265716 fix that didn't work.  It was truly frustrating but I've been running for 4 days without an issue and previously it was guaranteed to happen every time I used the computer.

Going on the Window Manger "fix" I thought it might have to do with my video card but I did not want to give up the Aero features.  I did two things, first I configured my BIOS to a 'Plug And Play' OS (that alone did not do the trick but it was a setting that I now use) and then I found new nVidia drivers.  I installed the new drivers with the 'Clean Install' option, which wipes out the old drivers first, and this stopped all 'Not Responding' problems I used to have.

It might have started when I used Windows Update to install updated video drivers on my machine.  I can't say for certain, but perhaps not running the nVidia tool directly and using Windows Update cause a driver or registry issue.

Try a clean install of your video drivers, I hope this helps.

• 編集済み wheels111111 2010年11月21日 15:06 misspelling
    • 回答の候補に設定 Franko Polo 2010年11月22日 6:40
    2010年11月21日 15:04
  • I spend two days on researching “Not responding”. So many solutions not enough results. As soon as we have problem, we are trying to clean everything from PC,

files, software’s, hardware etc. When this is done next step in trouble shooting is to disable half of the PC to eliminate the problem. Registry cleaning, disk defrag , you can go on and on. For some of us works , for some of us donn’t. I was the same way.

Nothing works. Simply not responding.

I found a solution on one of the forum. I don’t have the link. Because was a help for me, help which resolved my ”Not responding” issue, I saved this solution on my PC and now I’m going to share wiyh you.

Just follow steps below.Quote.

“ When you are in Windows 7, open up the command prompt in admin mode (find it on the start menu then right click > run as administrator). Then run the following command on all your drives (replace x: with each letter):

Quote:

fsutil dirty query x: 

That should list any "dirty" drives.

Now, type chkntfs /x x:. The /X tells Windows to NOT check that particular drive on the next reboot. Now manually reboot your computer, it should not do a chkdsk and should take you directly to normal Windows login.

Once Windows has fully loaded, bring up another admin command prompt and enter chkdsk x: /f /r. Reply Y if asked if you want this to happen on the next boot. This should take you through 5 stages of the chkdsk scan on the next boot and will unset that dirty bit.

Regards,

Franko Polo

2010年11月22日 6:41
  • I spend two days on researching “Not responding”. So many solutions not enough results. As soon as we have problem, we are trying to clean everything from PC,

files, software’s, hardware etc. When this is done next step in trouble shooting is to disable half of the PC to eliminate the problem. Registry cleaning, disk defrag , you can go on and on. For some of us works , for some of us donn’t. I was the same way.

Nothing works. Simply not responding.

I found a solution on one of the forum. I don’t have the link. Because was a help for me, help which resolved my ”Not responding” issue, I saved this solution on my PC and now I’m going to share wiyh you.

Just follow steps below.Quote.

“ When you are in Windows 7, open up the command prompt in admin mode (find it on the start menu then right click > run as administrator). Then run the following command on all your drives (replace x: with each letter):

Quote:

fsutil dirty query x: 

That should list any "dirty" drives.

Now, type chkntfs /x x:. The /X tells Windows to NOT check that particular drive on the next reboot. Now manually reboot your computer, it should not do a chkdsk and should take you directly to normal Windows login.

Once Windows has fully loaded, bring up another admin command prompt and enter chkdsk x: /f /r. Reply Y if asked if you want this to happen on the next boot. This should take you through 5 stages of the chkdsk scan on the next boot and will unset that dirty bit.

Regards,

Franko Polo

2010年11月22日 6:48
  • Usefull info to know Franko, thank you. But any idea why youre post has appeared twice within 7min of eachother? Is this another Microsoft glitch? Also, did the article give any explaination as to why or how this fix relates to the "NR" message and a "Dirty" drive?
    2010年11月22日 9:44
  • This is was my first posting, and I wasn’t sure if I did everything correctly. So after my first posting, I haven’t see it was posted. So I did my second posting and now you see two postings.

Chkdsk is a disk error checking utility that verifies the logical integrity of a file system. As you use your hard drive, it can develop bad sectors which slow down hard disk performance and make data writing difficult. Chkdsk scans the hard drive and will check the files and folders for file system errors, lost clusters, lost chains, and bad sectors. When encountering logical inconsistencies in file system data, it will perform the necessary actions to repair the file system data.

"lost clusters" are clusters that are neither in the free chain nor in any used file.

"cross-linked files" are two files that both claim to use the same cluster.

So for all problems described in above posts, there was something common for all of them, regardless if was Microsoft, third party software or hardware related issues.

My laptop with Win 7 Professional is flying now. That this answer your question.

Regards,

Franko Polo

2010年11月22日 16:52
  • Once again, great info Franko. I'm prepared to try anything now as this has been going on way too long. One thing though I still can't quite understand............ and that is the random nature of the freezes together with the HD light on constant. It doesn't seem to relate to anything I'm doing on my pc. It can occure at startup, every 5min or, usually every 40min.

I'm going for a full wipe and re-install tomorrow to see once and for all if this cures it. If not.........................?

Cheers,

PJ

2010年11月22日 17:27
  • I've had the "...not responding" problem for months now, and it has been getting worse.  I just reinstalled windows 7 and I'm halfway throught getting everything else installed, and the problem is worse than ever.  Then I looked at this site, and tried disabling Desktop Window Manager Session Manager.  Problem solved.  I wish that I'd tried this before starting over on my PC installation, but I'm glad that the problem is solved.
    2010年11月23日 22:06
  • Did you try Tuneup360?
    2010年11月25日 7:21
  • Does this fix apply to Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit as well? There seems to have no "desktop window manager session manager" option.

richardM
    2010年11月26日 14:06
  • I have to say I tried this myself at first, and yes, it does stop the NR sign appearing at the top of the screen. BUT, that seems to be all it does. It simply stop the message appearing. It doesn't seem to stop the temp freezing and the HD light going on.

I have now done a clean sweep and reinstalled all except for 1 item. The anti-virus which although is supplied free, and has and excellent record is based on AVG tech. (this is Virgin Media).

On a whim I decided to go for a different one, so I tried Avast (free). Now, I'm not saying at this point, because that would be tempting fate, that all is well, but, there has been a big improvement in performance and stability. I'm still getting the NR message and "slight" freezing, but no where near as bad as before.

There are no mesaages appearing in the Events panel (mind you there never really was before) and Fire Fox seems to be working reasonably well.

I make sure there are no startup progs and only the very minimum services to operate the syst.

Its still a far cry from the best and most advanced operating system we were all promised from Microsoft, but, in a strange way I do like its general "feel"

I ONLY WISH IT WORKED BETTER!

2010年11月26日 17:02
  • Thanks Franco!!!!

It worked!!! (for now at least!) Although it took 2 hours, bad clusters were replaced and no issues again so far.

BTW i had no dirty drives. I just checked the disk.

FYI: I all seemed well for the first minute and then everything started to "Not responding" Could not open anything else, not even Task Manager. It was like the PC was ignoring me.

I was unable to shut down, only hard disconnect. (Firefox worked if opened quickly in the beggining)

Anyways... Thanks!!!

2010年11月27日 13:05
  • I was experiencing the same problem regarding randome freezing events. It was driving me insane for about 4 months. My machine would lock up from 5-15 minutes sometimes just performing simple tasks like opening photographs, browsing internet, even navigating through the windows shell. Tried so many fixes on all the forums I could find describing this issue, I was almost certain it was a problem with Windows 7 64bit OS. Then I noticed that during every freezing event the hard drive light would be constantly lit. I tried checking for disc errors and found non, it was a nearly new WD Caviar Green drive. I did a wipe and clean install of the OS and same problem persisted.

After searching for problems with this drive I found numerous complaints, granted you can search the internet for virtually any product and find negative comments. I swapped the drive for a new WD Caviar Black and my system now runs like glass; perfect. Zero problems. If anybody else has a Green WD drive this may be the source of their problems. Hope this helps since I know this kind of issue is misery for a user.

2010年12月14日 20:14
  • These following solutions were applied and they all failed to correct Problem with "Not Responding" + Window Frozen for 10-50secs. So do not randomly apply these solutions for no reasons, because they could result in system failure, may possibly crash your "Expensive Unit" in a matter of few seconds.

WHAT DOES NOT WORK:

1. Remove certain files from System Registry.
    2. Disabled IE8 and media center via programs.
    3. Disable or uninstall certain anti-virus, spyware programs.
    4. Installed drivers using only Windows 7 Automatic Driver Update.
    5. Tried to repair using Windows 7 installtion disc
    6. Tried to play with Power Management.
    7. Tried installing softwares with Vista or XP compatitible mode.
    8. Disabling certain services such as Desktop Windows Manage Session from Control Panel. Etc, etc, etc.

MYTHS:

This problem occurs due to pirated version of Windows Operating System, Build XXYY, Ultimate Ed but not Home Ed, 32-bit, 64-bit, Beta Version, IE8, AVG Anti-Virus, Norton Removal Tool, and Bla Bla etc. Pure myth!

Getting to know the problem first "The Cause":

• Troubleshoots were done on multiple desktops and laptops from diverse manufactures such as HP, SONY, DELL, TOSHIBA, etc.
    • Troubleshoots were done on all 64-bit system which supported both 32-bit and 64-bit
    • Troubleshoots were done with XP to Win7, Vista to Win7, Win7 Home to Ultimate using both Upgrade and Fresh New Install option.
    • Troubleshoots were done with all builds of Windows7 Ultimate including Beta version.

How it's done:

If something is not working right, we must perform all possible wrong actions during each and every step: prior/during/post Upgrading and New Installtion Process.

Problem 1: Somewhere somehow, they've forgot/failed to notice ultimate requirements for upgrading Windows Operating System, because someone (ex. on OS DVD/CD) simply said "you only need XYghz processor, XX RAM, YY DVD-ROM, etc". Even it seemed that they've succesfully upgraded or installed new OS, window automatically installed all drivers, and no yellow question mark beside any components in Device Manager; thier windows is still not compatible yet.

Problem 2: Majority of consumers rely more on Microsoft Update & Solution or anonymus blog, rather than their Desktop/Laptops manufature's provided solution. One thing, consumers forget that the manufactures troubleshoots these hardware based problems 24/7. Manufacture can provide the best solution possible.

Problem 3: Majority of consumers focus more on software related problems than hardware related problems. (ex. My problem occured when using Excel, Media Player, or Internet Explorer; so must be problem with that). Great, but dont ignore your hardware problems please. Some has to say, "My PC is the latest, brand new, this ghz, that much RAM; so cant be hardware".

Problem 4: So hardware is correctly updated, but someone installed the software which is only compatible with X or Y , but not compatible with WIN7, or 32-bit/64-bit OS which they installed. As they say, "I installed it with Vista Compatibility Mode". You're simply forcing and overwriting which cause the problem.

Problem 5: Once everything is running smooth, most people forget/feel lazy/due to pirated version of OS, to perform regular updates from Microsofts or HP Updates or Vaio Updates etc. As they say, " I dont wanna update, because it will reduce HD disk space or slow my pc". Hello, these updates are very important and contains important bug fixes.

Problem 6: Using Software and codecs that is not designed for that OS. As some say, "my itunes/k-lite not working, but this is the latest version." Maybe, if you're using 32-bit OS, dont install 64-bit k-lite, or vise-versa.

So, your window installed/upgraded succesfully, ran smoothly for maybe days, weeks and months, but now it freezes; am I right? 

• Most cases, your motherboard, HardDrive, most Device Firmwares are only compatible with Vista or XP, and these components are not updated automatically to WIN7 compatible mode. These caused "not responding" hang problem in our troubleshooting 
    • Upgrading or new install on Dell platform from OS Vista to OS7 requires upgrading to Vista Services Pack 3 first, which is not recommended by HP or Sony others.
    • Sony, HP, Toshiba and others will seem to have installed all correct version of devices drivers by Windows7 automatic search and find; but in reality it did not perform succesfully. Do not even try install drivers by 3rd party software that scans and promise to update your drivers.
    • On the other hand, some Dell Platforms units strictly require updating drivers from DELL official site according to your Units Model Number.

Solution:

1. Do not simply follow the basic requirements written on Installtion Disc. Visit your unit's manufactures site, enter the correct MODEL/SERIES number, and look for Upgrading Guidelines for that Specific Model prior and post installtion process.
    2. Once finished upgrading or installing fresh OS, visit manufactures website, download and install the latest recommended driver for (atleast) Motherboard, HARD DRIVE, Device Firmwires, Manufacture Update Softwares ****for SPECIFICLY MODEL OF YOUR UNIT-VERSION OF OPERATING SYSTEM CURRENTLY INSTALL ON THAT UNIT*****. (This process will restart your unit several times) For example: Do not install HD Update which is for WIN7 Ultimate 64-bit, if you have installed WIN7 Ultimate 32-bit. Dont worry, these manufactures update has nothing to do with Pirated Version of OS, no conflicts. But I'm strictly against piracy and I do not encourage anyone using Pirated version of OS.
    3. Once hardware is set, take your time to find and install correct version of softwares and codecs. Some compatible with both 32 and 64. Some has individual install file. See if it's for 32-bit or 64-bit. For example, K-Lite Audio-Video Codecs, itunes, offers separate intalltion file.
    4. Not all softwares are meant to run without problem forever. In reality, they are all beta version in testing mode, install latest and update to have latest bug fixes.
    5. Do your regular updates from Microsoft and Manufactures.
    6. Have an anti-virus program, and update its database which helps it to know latest virus-spyware out there.
    7. Do regular PC maintenance: cleanup, backup, defragment, etc.

THESE STEPS HELPED US TO PREVENT "NOT RESPONDING" AND OTHER PROBLEMS. IF YOU FOLLOW THESE 7 STEPS EXTRA CAREFULLY, YOU SHOULD ALMOST NEVER HAVE PROBLEM.

SHOM-BOGRA-BD-CAN

Taufik, Montreal, Quebec!

2010年12月15日 3:49
  • Obviously a lot of work has gone into this reply for which I am extreamly greatfull. A lot of common sense has been applied and explained and demonstrates the complexities of trying to operate a modern pc. One thought I have though is why with all that testing and the knowledge available it seems to be completly impossible to offer a straitforward step-by-step "restore" solution that clears this once for all..........apart from a clean install.

It should be remembered that in almost every case reported above and in may other forums the system WAS working correctly to begine with so I'm not sure where the suggestion of installing drivers comes into the equation.

It appears that in this particular situation NONE of the resident "Help" solutions are of any use..........in which case..........why include them?

Please don't take this as a negative on your reply.......as I have said it is most appriciated. 

2010年12月15日 9:50
  • this works for me alright. thanks
    2010年12月19日 22:03
  • Omg, thanx alooot mate, after 1 month not responding 3 format, over 50 forums i have read, i fix it. yeaah no f. responding.

thanx alot

2011年3月7日 10:49

This seems to work for me - Windows 7 Home Premium, 32 bit on a Samsung with 3Gbytes and a Core I3 processor - Windows 7 installed from new.

I have had occasional Not responding instances with Word 2003. Today when developing a Multi-Form Access 2003 Application with Word 2003 sitting Open full screen behind my app, I was getting Not Responding messages, and the active form disappeared - although it could be brought back by a judicious clicking on the bottom bar and other displayed forms.  I didnt get this problem on a different computer running XP.   I tried the fix as advised above, and I now can't reproduce the problem.  It looks like I have lost the fancy Aero effects - but who cares! All I want is a reliable OS (like XP).

2011年3月30日 21:47
  • Gee!  Another problem MicroDumb ignores.

I followed these instructions:

Disabling "Desktop Window Manager Session Manager" fixed the "Not Responding" in various programs instantly; anti-virus programs had nothing to do with it.

Problem gone.

As others have said, for MS to charge huge prices for a basket of glitches that they never fix (they only patch - imagine the routing through 20+ years of band-aids!) qualifies IMHO as the biggest scam in America.

And that doesn't begin to address the time wasted by millions of desperate users trying to find solutions.

After a half dozen Macs, several PCs, a few Linix I just fired up a new iPad 2.

Less than 10 seconds to boot (from a cold start fresh out of the box).  It then looked around for 5 more seconds and asked for the password to my router.

I input that and  ... we were online!

Two minutes later I was registered and dictating to the machine - Dragon Dictating (free) - and getting 100% accuracy.

The graphix are fast and lovely and the OS is not only 'out of the box' it is 'out of the room':  slick, lovely and powerful.  10 hour battery, 65,000 apps, 1/3 of an inch thick and incredible styling. 

Y'all invited to the MS Bonfire of the Stupidities (thanks to Tom Wolfe) this weekend.  Bring old machines, software, videos of Ballmer doing his only skill (the Monkey Dance) and we'll toast weenies while we roast the weenies at MS.

Here's a feat for MS to match:  I installed Ubuntu on an old Sony Vaio laptop (circa '96) for a friend who is technically clueless and who was tired of Windows continually changing settings, permissions, etc. - not to mention crashing.  The Ubuntu now has been running for about 3 years without a glitch.

She loves it.  I love not having to fix her machine every week or two. 

Is there a Windoze install anywhere that has run for 6 months, 3 months, a month, a week (!) without generating an error that required intervention and fixing?

If it wasn't for the huge base of trapped MS users, Win 7 would be as dead as Bill Gate's leadership.

It can't happen soon enough.

2011年4月4日 10:40
  • I have tried the Desktop Win Session Mng. This seemed to help some...but as I was typing this reply I got the issue.

I have a 1 year old Gateway 4300 series that came loaded with win 7 prem. and I had no issues until about Aug. 2010 in Feb I did a complete restore after saving just my pics. and vids....during the install it looked as thou it may have been having the issues...I now had only the Factory loaded software and no AV loaded yet on my system...I did a disk clean a defrag ..then a chk dic and a chk for bad clusters....I also downloaded all the MS updates...i was getting the NR issue during this time...I then checked all for updates for my drivers, downloaded ccleaner ran it did a reboot problem still there...another chk disk and cluster...still there...loaded MS Essentials and have since reload softeware and other items back on as there seems to be nothing that is a true fix.

But as I have said after a disable of the Win Seesions Mng desktop it seems to have fewer NR issues...but they are still there...sometimes a short one sometimes for 5 to 10 minutes.

Is there any NEW info out there on this problem?

2011年4月7日 13:08
  • :D Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Im no expert and ive been strugling with this problem for over a year now, this fixed it, I was about to format it and reinstal vista just to be rid of it.

Thanks again

2011年4月12日 10:58
  • Don't speak too soon. I have a feeling this will continue forever................ Mines still on the blink after 18 months. Same old problem.....locking up with the dreaded "Not responding" sign laughing at me from the top left of the screen. ........and I was orginally told it was just me..... something I had done!
    2011年4月12日 18:15
  • I had suffered with the same symptoms for months. I read all kinds of posts (including this one) which pointed to everything from Windows indexing to Hardware Interrupts being the potential cause. I tried everything under the sun to cure the problem (including a complete reformat and reload of Windows 7) all to no avail. I’m sure there are various causes for this problem and there is no 1 single cure, but I have found a solution for my problem and wanted to share on this thread.

Finally, I tried cloning my boot drive – a WD Caviar "Green" 500GB SATA/32MB Cache Model: WD5000AADS - to a different physical drive (nothing special about the drive, just used for testing) and the problem completely went away! I havn't done any benchmark testing on the old drive yet to figure out what’s going on, but swapping it out has completely resolved my “Not Responding” pains!

Hope this helps!

2011年4月24日 16:43
  • Hi Abaladam

That sounds interesting.  Iam no expert.

Can you tell us the steps to change the drive by cloning,  I use a Toshiba SatellitePro with Win7 Home.

Thanks

Charlie

2011年5月8日 2:06
  • Two years since this this issue was raised and no fix.

If the problem is the context menu then why can't MS simply disallow any application from adding an entry unless the user permits it.

In 90% of cases users don't want right click access to every application's action. Most simply open the application and work within it.

Nah. Can't have that. MS is more interested in appeasing the vendors than the users.

The suggestion to do a trial and error process to find the bad context menu item may have worked when users had 1 gig drives and a handful of applications but these days when anyone could have 100+ applications installed that process is simply unworkable.

The answer to the problem is get rid of the context menu altogether and find a better alternative or for the user disable it now.

IO have removedf every entry to the menu and no longer have the Not Responding problem.

Overall it is just bad coding.

2011年7月24日 14:47
  • Well everyone, I was having the same issues but much worse.  It was getting to the point that EVERYTHING I clicked froze, and that treaded "not responding" message popped up.  However, I started to troubleshoot my pc with some of the suggestions mentioned here.  I didn't get very far when I discovered that the problem seems to have gone away so far.  I realized that I had Malwarebytes, Webroot Anti-spyware with Anti-Virus, and Norton 360 v5 all installed on my PC.  I remembered that in the past that webroot software seemed to "bog" my pc down, so I uninstalled that.  Viola!  No more "not responding" windows, and my pc seems to load faster too.  Just to be on the safe side, I also uninstalled Malwarebytes as well.  Going on 4 days now, and not one "not responding" window.  Is this a "magic" cure for all?  I don't think so, but seems to have fixed my problem, and does shed some more light onto the theory that it is Anti-virus, Malware related.

Ragsmaster69

My Pc setup

Asus MB

AMD Quad 4 Propus 645

16 gb Memory

4 - 500gb Sata drives, plus 2 - 2 tb externals drives

2011年7月29日 16:11

Symptons:
    These can occur almost immediately from a cold boot, or may not occur untly the machine has been on for 12 hours. Scrolling down on a loaded page in a browser, with no other activity on the machine and the browser (FF or IE) will lock, produce a busy hourglass and a not responding header. Attempting to launch Task Manager takes minutes to complete (the buffer will accept all the mouse actions but take minutes to respond, and then process them all at once after being non responsive, only to become non responsive again). Once task manger is up, and the system non responsive the CPU will hover between 1% and 6% and mostly be the taskmgr, but the system will not respond. When in the not responding mode it is not possible to end tasks, but when respponding this works fine; when not responding and task manger is up it is possible to switch tabs or sort processes, just not end them.

Composing an email in Outlook, coding in Visual Studio, watching a streaming video or anything else I use the computer for will suddenly freeze, this may be for 10-15 seconds or 3-5 minutes. Task Manager will show 40% CPU when things are working, then suddenly drop to 6% or less during the not responding duration, and then magically come back to 40% when responding. However once the "lockups" or not responding periods begin they are longer than the periods of normal operations.

If I lose patience and and force a restart or power down the subsequent restart takes 5- 10 minutes where a normal start up takes 30 seconds.

Observations:
    I've create a bootable Win 7 VHD with only the OS and latest updates installed. Booting into this VHD has the same symptons as mentioned above (only have IE and Explorer to work with). A July 28th post on this topic suggested disabling Windows Media Player Networking Services, I tried that but still had the same not responding issues.

I have an HP Pavilion notebook that runs Win 7 RTM 64 that does not have these lock ups and not responding problems. Unfortunately both systems do have one problem in common with Win7 64 that the did not have with Vista 64 and that is being able to find the internet on boot up. This is probably not at all related to the lock ups, but both machines see my network and each other, yet neither can access the internet until I open the Network and Sharing Center, go to the adapter settings and disable and reneable the adapter, at which point they will find the internet.

It is now less than a month to the official release of Win 7, I truly hope it is ready and that these problems are resolved. It would be nice if there was some resolution or meaningful suggestions to this problem between now and then.

my 2¢

Steve

It is now March 2012 and obviously this problem is still there. I have exactly the same issue here on a brand new system.

I tried everything people are recommending here and on other forums -- but nothing helps. I'm not an amateur in computer things but this issue I can't solve at all.

Running Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 German with all updates. The system has plenty of power, memory, space on drive, etc. and nothing unusual. ASUS M4A88T-M/USB3 mainboard. All drivers are updated, BIOS is updated.

Today I found that Hotfix for Windows 7 Randomly Freezes and Stops Responding, but I can't install it. It simply says "Not suitable for your system"!

What can I do? Back to XP?

2012年3月14日 18:33
  • Yup, I’m still here as well after 2yrs + into this problem and despite trying all the above (haven’t done the HD replacement one yet though) the MONSTER is still there and still laughing at me.

I thought I had cracked it a few months ago. During one of my many “diagnostic” journeys into the inner workings of what is laughably called the “Operating System” I noticed that the USB ports settings in the BIOS were set to USB 1 instead of the ‘newer’ USB 2 faster version.

When I corrected this I didn’t get the NR message for some weeks (I am used to getting it almost every  10 – 15 min). Unfortunately it didn’t last. Whatever was happening before stopped happening and it was business, (or rather lack of) as usual.

As much as I have tried to resist it I’m afraid it’s time to bite the bullet and go over to Apple.

I only hope my head will eventually recover from all the pounding I have given it over the YEARS trying to use Microsoft.

The two big questions I am left with is: with all the diagnostic ‘help’ available within W7 and cumulatively within Microsoft WHY hasn’t there been a fix or aknowledgment from them by now, also, WHY doesn’t this problem show up in any of the on-board performance tools or Event Logs?

2012年3月15日 10:27
  • Hi WinddowsVictim and pdoth

Same probelm with me.   Did you get to dowload this     Hotfix for Windows 7 Randomly Freezes and Stops Responding      any luck.

One other suggestion above was to disable as per 

"This issue can be caused by software confliction. Let’s disable all startup items and third party services when booting. This method will help us determine if this issue is caused by a loading program or service. Please perform the following steps:

1. Click the Start Button type "msconfig" (without quotation marks) in the Start Search box, and then press Enter.

Note: If prompted, please click Continue on the User Account Control (UAC) window.

2. Click the "Services" tab, check the "Hide All Microsoft Services" box and click "Disable All" (if it is not gray).
    3. Click the "Startup" tab, click "Disable All" and click "OK".

Then, restart the computer. When the "System Configuration Utility" window appears, please check the "Don't show this message or launch the System Configuration Utility when Windows starts" box and click OK.

Please test this issue in the Clean Boot environment, if the issue disappears in the Clean Boot environment, we can use a 50/50 approach to quickly narrow down which entry is causing the issue.

Arthur Xie - MSFT"

Dows this work ok, and is it possible to permanently use this without problems. What difference and what things are not accessable as normal, should I expect if I do athis.

ThanksCharlie 

2012年3月16日 0:22
  • To be honest I can't remember now if I tried this fix or not, I've tried soooo many things. However, reading the notes that accompany this it seems to suggest that the 'problem', which Microsoft acknowledges is down to too many Group Polices running. It also covers its ass by saying that you should not use this fix unless you have the specific conditions it is meant to fix. With something as - "not responding" or "freezing" how the hell would you know if this is the correct fix for you or not?

To me, the danger here is compounding the problem, not solving it. Having said all that, I'm so despite I'll give it a go and report (if my pc is still working by then).

On the other topic you mention - First off, in the early days I tried all that............... it is NOT easy to do, plus, obviously you can't run the pc like that as there are a stack of apps you need for every day things.

I come back to what I originally said - "As this problem is obviously something effecting the whole running of the computer, and of course the OS, why doesn't it show up in any of the many, many diagnostic or reporting systems incorporated within W7? Surely something that completely FREEZES the whole system for upto 4min should show up somewhere?

2012年3月16日 11:15
  • I just realised something else after reading through the release notes on this hot fix.............. it has already been included in the last Service Pack update, which I have, so, if it had been the correct fix for this problem, why am I still getting the same problem?
    2012年3月16日 11:21