none
XP Mode Limited or No Connectivity (Bridged Mode)

질문

• I need to join the XP VPC on my Win 7 workstation to my domain. I hope to save a few dollars by using the same workstation for testing both Win 7 Group Policy and XP (I have a mixed mode environment). I've searched the forums here and tried everything I could think of as well. Here is my setup.

HP Desktop with Broadcom NetXtreme GB NIC. This is Windows 7 Professional 64-bit (SP1), using the XP Mode VPC that came with.  It works when using NAT mode, I do have to authenticate to my Proxy but that makes sense. Once authenticated I have Internet access. I am unable to join the domain or access the DC's in NAT mode and this also makes sense. Thus I can't join the domain.

So I configure for Bridged Mode using the Intel emulated NIC provided on VPC. It fails to acquire an IP address, I end up with an AIPA address. I'm unable to ping anything on the network (of course since I'm in the wrong subnet). At this point the VPC NIC status reports "Limited or no connectivity".

So I configure the VPC NIC with a valid static IP address. Now the NIC status shows connected. However I still cannot contact a DC or get a ping response from anything (either by name or IP). Even though it shows an ok status it is still not functioning. No joy.

In all cases ping localhost and 127.0.0.1 work as expected.

I have uninstalled/reinstalled the Virtual PC Network Filter Driver, verifyed that Integration is installed and enabled. And disabled the VPC firewall.

I am stumped. Can anyone help me out here?

Thanks

2012년 5월 26일 토요일 오후 7:55

답변

•   Looks like you have a genuine network failure. My only suggestion from there is to try a different physical NIC in the host (although the Broadcom 1G works fine for me with Windows 7x64).

Bill

2012년 5월 28일 월요일 오전 2:27
  • Bill. I have come to the same conclusion. After setting up a different desktop with a RealTec NIC - it worked just fine. Got all it's configuration from DHCP just like any other workstation in my domain. I believe the problem is some sort of compatibility problem with the onboard Broadcom NIC on the desktop that won't work. I may at some point do as you suggested and simply add a different NIC. For now I've got to get going with the other desktop that does work.

I did find some references to problems with VPC and the Broadcom NetXtreme but the posts were several years ago.

Thanks for your help.

Jerry

"If a man would persist in his folly, he would become wise."

~ William Blake

2012년 5월 28일 월요일 오후 5:02

모든 응답

•  In bridge mode the vm should behave just like any other LAN machine (as far as networking is concerned). The first thing I would check is that you have the latest available driver software for the Broadcom on the host. The bridge driver has to work with the device driver in the host OS to give the vm network access.

If the vm  does not get its config from DHCP (for whatever reason), giving the vm a static IP in the proper subnet should work. Cross-check the ipconfig with that from a LAN machine to ensure everything except the actual IP is identical (especially DNS and gateway).

Ping is not a great tool to use to check network connectivity any more. Most modern OS firewalls, including Windows 7, block ICMP echo by default (but I am surprised that you can't ping your gateway router). You are better off using other network tools like nslookup to find why your client cannot find a DC to join a domain.

Bill

2012년 5월 27일 일요일 오전 12:05
  • Thank you for the response and the suggestions.

I agree in Bridged mode it "should" behave correctly but does not...

The static IP configuration matches the workstation totally with the exception of the IP address which I am certain is valid. Actually tried a couple just for grins. Always the same, no joy. I do have the latest driver according to the HP website and Windows Update.

You have a point about firewalls and ICMP, however in this case my DC's and DNS (this is an AD domain so they are the same servers) have ICMP open for the express reason that I often need to verify connectivity to the DC. Nslookup does a lookup by name using the configured DNS server IP's So if there is an IP connectivity problem nslookup is only helpful with regard to name resolution.

ICMP outbound is open on the host since it can ping the DC's and the firewall on the guest is off as I stated.

In any case nslookup returns: "Can't find server name for: <dns server ip address>" twice, once for primary then again for secondary.

I agree that this is really weird. I have no idea what might be going on.

Anyone experiencing the same thing with suggestions would be welcome.

2012년 5월 27일 일요일 오전 3:36
  •   Looks like you have a genuine network failure. My only suggestion from there is to try a different physical NIC in the host (although the Broadcom 1G works fine for me with Windows 7x64).

Bill

2012년 5월 28일 월요일 오전 2:27
  • Hi,

Based on my research, please check if Virtual PC Network Filter Driver has installed has been selected.

If not, please select it and test the issue again.

If it does not exist in the list, I’m afraid that you may have to reinstall Windows Virtual PC.

More information: Networking in Windows Virtual PC

Hope this helps.

Jeremy Wu

TechNet Community Support

2012년 5월 28일 월요일 오전 9:55
    중재자
  • Bill. I have come to the same conclusion. After setting up a different desktop with a RealTec NIC - it worked just fine. Got all it's configuration from DHCP just like any other workstation in my domain. I believe the problem is some sort of compatibility problem with the onboard Broadcom NIC on the desktop that won't work. I may at some point do as you suggested and simply add a different NIC. For now I've got to get going with the other desktop that does work.

I did find some references to problems with VPC and the Broadcom NetXtreme but the posts were several years ago.

Thanks for your help.

Jerry

"If a man would persist in his folly, he would become wise."

~ William Blake

2012년 5월 28일 월요일 오후 5:02