none
Question on Installing Programs in 64-bit Windows

질문

• i  have a GatwayNV79C49U. But this is my first 64 bit system and i had a question on installing programs. Some of the installs r 64bit installer and work fine. but when i download a program the says 32bit/64bit but the install of the programs want to install to intalls programs fils (x86). Now i also see a folder just program file. So i wanted to know how to make sure i am installing the x64 bit of the install.
    2012년 6월 11일 월요일 오전 12:10

답변

• You should leave the files where they install. Windows Installer can determine the correct location. It's expected that you have x86 and x64. It doesn't look very good but it is necessary when running a 64-bit Windows OS.

Some 32/64 installers mean it has logic that will detect the correct version to install and install only that e.g. 64-bit on a 64-bit OS.

Others like for plugins will install both 32-bit and 64-bit version when installed on a 64-bit OS. This is because you may run a 32-bit application on a 64-bit OS. E.g. 64-bit IE 64-bit will not see a 32-bit Adobe Reader Plugin. So you would need the 64-bit version of the plugin.

PLEASE MARK ANY ANSWERS TO HELP OTHERS Blog: rorymon.com Twitter: @Rorymon

2012년 6월 11일 월요일 오후 5:23

모든 응답

• If the program installer is installing to or in a subfolder inside C:\Program Files folder, then it's a 64-bit program that you are installing.

If the program installer is installing to or in a subfolder inside C:\Program Files (x86) folder, then it's a 32-bit program that you are installing. 

I hope this is what you asked.

• 답변으로 제안됨 RorymonMVP 2012년 6월 11일 월요일 오후 4:45
    2012년 6월 11일 월요일 오전 4:54
  • Like Swapnil has said a clear indication is the installer folder but beware some applications have 64-bit version which are the exact same as their 32-bit version, only putting a x64 driver down. In that case you may see the app install to (x86) even though it's a "64-bit" application.

A lot of applications state 32-bit or 64-bit in their help or about section. Some apps show it in Add/Remove Programs.

• 답변으로 제안됨 RorymonMVP 2012년 6월 11일 월요일 오후 4:45
    2012년 6월 11일 월요일 오후 4:45
  • well like i said a lot of programs say they are fo32/64 bit system but it always want to launch (x86) witch im sure  are the 32bit program and wants to install to programe files x86 so what i normally do is delete the x86 and install to the program file witch i think is the 64bit folder. But im not sure. But if i chage it program files(x64) it wants to make a new folder program files (x64) but i think just the plan program files is the 64bit it just don't say that it is. so any help so i know what i am doing is right. ps when it says 32/64 is there a 64 insaller in the program

2012년 6월 11일 월요일 오후 5:16
  • ps thanks for the help
    2012년 6월 11일 월요일 오후 5:16
  • You should leave the files where they install. Windows Installer can determine the correct location. It's expected that you have x86 and x64. It doesn't look very good but it is necessary when running a 64-bit Windows OS.

Some 32/64 installers mean it has logic that will detect the correct version to install and install only that e.g. 64-bit on a 64-bit OS.

Others like for plugins will install both 32-bit and 64-bit version when installed on a 64-bit OS. This is because you may run a 32-bit application on a 64-bit OS. E.g. 64-bit IE 64-bit will not see a 32-bit Adobe Reader Plugin. So you would need the 64-bit version of the plugin.

2012년 6월 11일 월요일 오후 5:23