none
Are You Seeing Slow Windows 7 Network Performance?

일반 토론

• There's a huge thread on problems with Windows 7 network performance that's grown practically impossible to respond to:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itproperf/thread/4537c7b6-9761-41c5-8b47-0ecb831c8575

In that thread I posted that I was unable to reproduce the problems others were seeing, and offered to compare physical configurations and network settings with others in hopes to find a key difference that might allow others to correct or at least work around the problem.

At the time I was testing with 100BASE-T Ethernet connections to an old Dell router, and I didn't know whether my setup would scale up to a faster link speed.  I've just recently upgraded to a Linksys/Cisco E4200 v2 high performance router, which provides gigabit Ethernet wired connections, and I'm glad to report I'm still able to saturate the links with transfers between my systems.  Everything's nice and fast.

I have, for example, been able to transfer a nearly 1.5 gigabyte file in 15 or so seconds.  Here's a sample COPY file transfer between Windows 7 x64 and Windows Vista x64 systems (NoelC4 and NoelC2 respectively):

These are two Dell Precision workstations (specifically, a T5400 and a 470), using the on-motherboard Ethernet connections in both cases.  The T5400's Ethernet port is a Broadcom NetXtreme 57xx Gigabit Controller, and the 470's is an Intel PRO/1000 MT controller.  Both are set to defaults.

If you are having a Windows 7 network slowness problem, please feel free list your configuration and how your setup is wired.  Perhaps we can discover what's different from a setup that is able to get all the speed it can.

-Noel

Detailed how-to in my new eBook: Configure The Windows 7 "To Work" Options

2012년 1월 23일 월요일 오후 10:42

모든 응답

•  

Hi Noel, 

I have the same problem,

I am not able to copy paste files from windows 7 machine to share network drive.

It is giving me the error “there is the problem accessing share” after a long delay,

I gone through many tech forum and done the suggested setting but no answer

link auto

Jumbo packet :- enable

DisableBandwidthThrottling :- 1

DisableTaskOffload : 1

I am still struggling with this issue.

I have posted the same question on windows & networking forum but no answer

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itpronetworking/thread/0f5fe81e-84c0-4029-b546-f02118f0584f

Please help

Subs

• 편집됨 VLCC 2012년 1월 25일 수요일 오후 3:18
    2012년 1월 25일 수요일 오후 3:15
  • What you're reporting seems to be more of a complete failure than a slow transfer issue...  But maybe I misunderstood you...

Can you please be a little more specific about what's going wrong?

Is your file transfer starting then failing?  Do you get some file transfers through okay?  Does it seem intermittent?

Have you considered that there may be a problem with your network cabling?  Are there other network-based operations you can do over the same link without problems?  Have you tried alternate cables in place of the one you now have?

-Noel

2012년 1월 25일 수요일 오후 4:12
  • Thanks for reply.

This is not the cable issue as I am facing this issue with win 7 clients only.

Yes, it is taking too much time to copy the files and at end it is giving the mentioned error

also, this error is only with cross subnet

Subs
    • 편집됨 VLCC 2012년 1월 25일 수요일 오후 4:37
    2012년 1월 25일 수요일 오후 4:35
  • How do you have the networking set for your Windows 7 clients?  I do hope you have disabled HomeGroup networking.

You're saying that if you connect your Windows 7 client into the same subnet as the server you see no problems with file copies?  What kind of routing / switching setup do you have that connects your subnets?  You mentioned a 40 ms latency...  That seems kind of long for an in-house network.  Or is part of the network across a WAN link?

-Noel

2012년 1월 25일 수요일 오후 5:22
  • Thanks Noel,

Yes, there is no home group

The 40ms latency is for the WAN link, for local LAN this is 1ms

We have different VLAN created and we are using Inter VLAN routing.

We have multiple sites connected through MPLS.

I am facing this problem with Window 7 only, when I’m copying data from Windows 2008 server to any windows 2008 server it is working fine.

Subs
    • 편집됨 VLCC 2012년 1월 27일 금요일 오전 7:03
    2012년 1월 27일 금요일 오전 3:50
  • I only have a single subnet to test with here - that's a clear difference between our systems.

Do you see any relief from the problem when you put the Windows 7 system on the same subnet as the server?

-Noel

2012년 1월 27일 금요일 오후 1:17
  • on the same subnet it is working fine.

Subs
    2012년 1월 28일 토요일 오전 5:30
  • That sounds to me like some packets are not properly being routed, then.  Yes, I realize that's a "well duh" statement...

It's been a VERY long time, but back when I worked in a modest sized corporate office I recall our IT people having a connectivity problem between VLANs way back (in the early 2000s with XP).  I shouldn't even say anything about it, because I *REALLY* don't remember what they did in any detail, but by gosh it seems to me they finally worked around it by combining VLANs and using a subnet mask that allowed more machines to be on the same subnet.  I don't know if this can apply to you.

-Noel

2012년 1월 28일 토요일 오후 6:25
  • HI,

Can you suggest me that how I troubleshoot this and get rid of this, how can I capture that where is the packet are being dropped ?

But why this problem is win 7 only. ?

Subs
    • 편집됨 VLCC 2012년 1월 29일 일요일 오전 4:39
    2012년 1월 29일 일요일 오전 4:39
  • I'd start by reviewing the documentation and settings for your switches/routers and see if there are changes (or even firmware updates) they propose to deal with Windows 7 routing.  Perhaps even call their technical support.

I personally haven't done network-level debugging for this kind of issue myself, but I'd guess you'll need an analyzer or invoke some kind of trace with your existing equipment and look for differences in the traffic between Windows 7 and earlier versions.

Analysis of network protocols and 3rd party equipment are beyond my original scope with this thread...  I had hoped to be able to compare Windows settings to try to isolate differences.  Insofar as it seems possible that my systems here might have the exact same problem if they were tied together with equipment the same as what you have, I'm not sure that would be helpful.

Perhaps someone with direct experience in debugging network communications protocol problems will be willing to jump in and give you a hand.

P.S., I do have one other very basic suggestion:  Do things get any better if you temporarily disable the Windows firewall?

-Noel

• 편집됨 Noel Carboni 2012년 1월 29일 일요일 오후 1:23
    2012년 1월 29일 일요일 오후 1:21
  •  

I think we're all chasing our collected tails on this problem. This is not just a slow net issue. I’ve been isolating this problem for some time and here is where I am at:

I have a gigabit network that I’m upgrading to windows 7 one machine at a time. It’s fast as it is with a smoothwall server and an XP machine as a file server. I upgraded one machine to windows 7 and the transfer rate from the XP file server for a 700mb file is about 40 second.

I upgrade the second machine to windows 7 and the transfer rate from the XP file server for the same 700mb file is ten minutes and the whole machine gets slow and the curser jumps as it moves during file transfers. The transfer rate to a USB drive and from a CD are also both slow.  

I’ve tried every one of the settings fixes for windows services and NIC settings, no effect.

Since a have one good Windows 7 machine and one bad one talking to the XP fileserver, I’ve switched the cables and the NIC cards between them. I’ve tried a new NIC card. There is no effect. The NIC settings and windows services settings are identical.

This problem is deep within Windows 7 I/O and not just at the network interfaces. It’s either random or affected by minor differences in hardware. My next step is a complete system reload and I thought that kind of fix was over with XP but its clear that after two years, nobody knows what this problem is all about.

Wish me luck.

2012년 3월 2일 금요일 오후 7:24
  • Hm, 700 megabytes in 40 seconds is already WAY less than the link should be able to provide at saturation (like 1/6th as fast as it should be).  10 minutes is an age.

Are your computer and server on different subnets?

Best of luck getting to the bottom of it!

-Noel

2012년 3월 2일 금요일 오후 10:14
  • i did the jumbo setting on lancard on win7 x64 ultimate .. it was doing 30 kb/sec on lan xfer and the jumbo was disabled .. i set it to 9k and network is blasting away now like a madman.
    2012년 3월 6일 화요일 오후 5:27
  • Forget the Network stuff, I can't even copy an .avi movie I made to a CD!!!! Takes 8 days. 8 DAYS!

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I do graphic animations and I run after effects 5.5 and Photoshop with no problems. I can render a 5GB .avi in a few min. I score 27,000 on 3D mark.... copying or transferring files takes longer than it does to make the stupid thing from scratch!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 8 days. I'll jump off a cliff @ 2 days.

The movie file is only 120 sec. @ 4.46GB, my machine will copy the first 15% at normal speed, then throttle down to nothing. A few KB a second. It never finishes. I WENT TO BED AND WOKE UP.... still not done making a CD...... ARGHHHHH!!!!  I can not perform backups. I can not copy files to an SD card for a camera. I cant even put more than 50MB of MP3 on a thumb drive at a time.  I am SOL completely.

Windows Home premium x64

Intel i7 @ 2.66

9GB DDR3 Trippe Chanel RAM

2x W Caviar black 1TB

Mobo - Asus rampage 3

My wife's laptop also does this. 2nd gen i5 with 6GB RAM.

I installed an XP iso file in VMWare... CD takes a few min to make....... At least I can get it mailed out to the customer!!!!!!!

I fired up MAC OS X Lion in a VM just for... fun........ copy's just fine.

Win 7 = junk. Windows is the problem. The software is the culprit not hardware or ports, hubs, none of that jazz.

2012년 3월 16일 금요일 오후 3:52
  • Just for fun I went into the network and dropped the .avi file onto my wife's desktop via the network..... just fine... little slow, but holding transfer rate steady @ 5.43MB sec. If I was to copy this to my other D or a CD or anything... it would never finish. Maybe this piece of info can help some bigger nerd out there come up with a solution.  Took 9 min to SUCCESSFULLY transfer.
    2012년 3월 16일 금요일 오후 4:01
  • Sounds like a nice system.

Regarding writing to CD, I had the same problem trying to write blu-ray discs using the Windows software, while the BD-writing software that came with the drive gets it done successfully.  I reported that to Microsoft about a year ago I think, and it seemed to be just ignored.  That reminds me, I need to try it with Windows 8 CP.

What kind of networking do you have?  5.43 MB/sec doesn't seem to match up to any particular network speed (100bT, etc.) but it might be limited by the transfer rate of something inside the laptop.

-Noel

Detailed how-to in my eBook:  
    In development:

Configure The Windows 7 "To Work" Options
    Configure The Windows 8 "To Work" Options

2012년 3월 16일 금요일 오후 4:17
  • Ahhhhh Win 8 ... well the DEV preview I played around with a few months ago is Win 7 redesigned for a tablet. The home menu messed me all up. Ill stay with 7. It shouldn't be called Win 8. Maybe Win 7 "touch", but not Win 8.

The new versions of 8 iso releases a few weeks ago I have not played with personally, but my father in law has and his opinion was "Meh". Not much different from Dev preview.

2012년 3월 16일 금요일 오후 4:29
  • I have a standard network setup found in most homes. Cat 6 cables, Belkin N+ 600 Dual, Comcast internet. Internet runs 38MB download / 6 Upload according to speedtest.net and other like programs. The transfer was wireless. Hey no complaints on the speed, Ill take a slow SUCCESSFUL transfer vs a failed one ;)

Seems like an interesting book project you have. Best of luck!

2012년 3월 16일 금요일 오후 4:36
  • I had a problem with two laptops in a network of 15 or so win7 pro client machines and a recently installed new sbs2011 server (upgraded from an old SBS2003 server). No problems reported with any other client m/c. One of the laptops failed to consistently copy a 30mb word file to a network share on the server and gradually failed to copy anything at all, either to or from the share, and the other laptop had similar issues but intermittent. There were no problems like this before the new server was installed. What initially seemed to be a machine problem seemed to point to a network cabling issue. Where possible replaced all cables with Cat6 and eventually took the laptop to the server and connected to the same physical switch so eliminated all building cabling. Still no good. Read this thread and tried a few of the suggestions. No good. Then set the speed of the network card in the laptop to 100mbps from auto. And heypresto..works like a charm. The laptop was a lenovo thinkpad edge core i3 with gigabit network interface.

When I first installed the server I did notice that the server failed to communicate with the old server on a 100mbit port of a test switch I used for the purpose of upgrading...the microsoft hot fix (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2582112) may address this issue but nobody seems to have said it works for them. As far as my client is concerned I have fixed the problem so it will be difficult for me to test the hotfix with resetting the port back to auto.

Obviuously setting the network card speed to 100mbits isn't a solution but for now it keeps my client happy. It also maybe a pointer to what's going on.

2012년 4월 20일 금요일 오전 11:02
  • My old ethernet cables were the problem.

I followed that old thread looking for a solution to my file copy problems. Win7 Ultimate 64bit. Tweaks didn't help. Was down to 5mb/s on 1 gigabit home network (not jumbo enabled). I had recently bought a couple of multi-packs of Cat6 cables and just now replaced my old cables (embarrassingly enough one had a label on it "Athlon" to show its age. Went to about 55mb/s which would be about right considering the green 1tb drive I am copying to on my freenas file server. 

2012년 5월 2일 수요일 오전 2:51
  • I'm also getting the start fast then stop problem but only after installing Win7 x64 SP1.

See my post http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itpronetworking/thread/55736598-4d59-4d33-8dc9-be75528e889d

In fact I the previous Win7 x64 machine worked fine, so I know it's not a switch/router/cables issue.
    • 편집됨 Cheval 2012년 5월 2일 수요일 오후 11:50 Extra info
    2012년 5월 2일 수요일 오후 11:49
  • KaylaF: Sorry, but I have this exact same problem

(http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itpronetworking/thread/55736598-4d59-4d33-8dc9-be75528e889d)

but I don't follow how you fixed it?

Did you mean you copied the file from your wife's computer instead from yours and it worked? I'm not following what was done differently from the post before.

• 편집됨 Cheval 2012년 5월 3일 목요일 오전 12:04
    2012년 5월 2일 수요일 오후 11:59
  • This to OP:

I am experiencing this issue between an SBS2008 server and a single Windows 7 client. Your little screengrabs are a great idea, though sadly my network settings match what you have posted and I still have very slow file access.

I have around 3500 files occupying 2GB. Average speed goes between next to nothing and occasionally as fast as 1.5MBps. It can end up taking hours.

The Netgear Gigabit Prosafe Switch is using the latest firmware, both the server and client are using 10/100/1000 NIC's and I've enabled Jumbo Frames and so on without any noticeable difference.

Both this thread and the one prior to this are rife with conjecture.

I haven't applied the hotfix mentioned above and am happy enough to do so but I don't think it fits the problem; a simple copy operation across the network that should be very fast indeed.

I am open to suggestions!

2012년 5월 3일 목요일 오후 4:07
  • Have you tried really basic troubleshooting stuff?  Things like replacing cables, putting the systems on the same subnet, eliminating active components between the systems, etc.?

What's your ping time between systems?  Do you ever see any lost packets?

Are you using IPv4 or IPv6?

As you've said, I don't think there have been any hard "THAT fixes it!" discoveries, unfortunately.

I was working with a friend the other day who is wiring his house up for Ethernet, and I thought to ask him what his performance between systems is.  He is having a similar issue, and he's not gotten to the bottom of it yet either, but he also uses a discrete Ethernet switch.  By contrast both cables between the server and workstation I benchmarked at the start of this thread plug directly into my router.

Best of luck.  If you do find a setting that helps, please post your findings here.

-Noel

In development:

P.S.,

• 편집됨 Noel Carboni 2012년 5월 3일 목요일 오후 6:20
    2012년 5월 3일 목요일 오후 6:11
  • In my case I did perform basic network trouble shooting and all succeeded. Ping is less than 1ms, no lost packets with IPv4.

Now that being said my case turned out a whole lot more interesting that may help or be a red herring...

In my Win7x64 machine, I had 2 SSD Raid 0 (OS) with 2 HDD spinny's Raid 0 (Data) (backed up to external HDD). As a side issue to save on the writes to the SSD, I put both the page file and redirected temp folders to the HDD Raid on the initial setup. As the system was going bad (1st lost USB ports, then boot then hang, not boot, etc) I did a quick checkdisk when I had a good boot and no problems for the Intel raid controller reported no problems. So I bought all new computer parts except for the SSD and HDD. Now I re-setup the PC with new raid arrays in the same formation on these same drives and was trying to copy back the backups to restore them which started the networking problem.

Now the quirky part... Since I couldn't copy my backup data over the network, I put it on an external HDD and was copying it back to the HDD Raid array when the controller reported 1 HDD had failed. I then put the HDD's back to single drives, created new MBR partitions and quick formatted them. CheckDisk quick pass OK, HDDTune no problems, but 1 was little hotter and had 10 DMA errors. So I retried HDDTune with full scan, cool drive all ok but hotter drive had first few blocks ok but then fail til next 2 rows. Ah Ha! Potentially part of page file was corrupt so windows problems in old system build and when I rebuilt the drives to be clean the copy was fine until it reached the bad blocks. Found it, so I thought.

Now the interesting part... My computer parts supplier didn't have 2 new 2TB HDDs (as I was going to Raid 1 them this time, but that can now wait until the other drive arrives) so I only got one. As it was 2TB I figured that I might partition it with GPT instead of MBR, due to the extra redundancy in the tables and I'm not going back to any older WinOS. So now I've got the backups restored to the 2TB and all looking good. So I'm about to tell the story of my problem being HDD related when I do one more test to make sure.

So I try and copy the files from the Win7x86 computer to the 2TB GPT drive and it worked fine. Yay! Problem solved, but for laughs I also try again to the old MBR drive that past all the tests and it starts then stops?!? Huh? So right now I'm in the middle of running all the full low level test on that drive again, but nothing is failing so far. If it passes I'll repartition it to GPT and try the copy again. If that works I'll report back, but has anyone else found any differences between the partition types under Win7x64 relating to the ability and speed of copying?

2012년 5월 6일 일요일 오전 12:11
  • So after a half day performing all types of low level disk checks, the drive is reporting good so I repartition to GPT, formatted it with the defaults for NTFS and try the network copy again. Guess what the result is?

It works!?! But (there is always a but) now I've got the slow copy problem... Right now it's slowed down to 5MB/s, but it is working now.

2012년 5월 6일 일요일 오전 6:46
  • My setup is as follow. Cisco e3000 as the only switch. I have 3 computers wired to, and two more over wireless.  Three wired computers are 1 Windows 7 64bit, 1 OS X (10.6), and 1 CentOS 5.5.  HomeGroup is not setup, and IPv6 is disabled on the Windows Box.

From either the Mac or the Linux box, reading and writing files to the Windows 7 PC works great, large file transfers will hold around 100 MB/sec. However, when using the Windows 7 box, I can copy files from either of the other two and get sustained ~100MB/sec, but when copying a file from the Windows 7 PC to one of the other boxes, I get a sustained rate of around 40 KB/sec.

I just recently upgraded the Windows 7 box.  New motherboard, processor, RAM.  Re-installed windows, and since this, I have had the network issues. Before this, I could read/write just like one would expect.  I've tried everything I could find on line, but nothing has helped copying a file from the Windows PC to another box.  

At this point, I think I have three options to try and narrow down the problem.

1. Reload windows from previous build's image and update drivers for the new motherboard to see if something went wrong with my latest windows install.

2. Pick up another network card and see if that has the same issue.  

3. Install a different OS to see if is also has the same problem.  

That should at least tell me if it is a Windows 7 issue, or a hardware issue.  Other than doing this, I have no idea what might be the problem.

2012년 5월 9일 수요일 오후 12:24
  • Sorry to leave you but I've solved my problem through network driver update, but not from the expected source.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itpronetworking/thread/55736598-4d59-4d33-8dc9-be75528e889d/

Good luck with finding a solution to your scenario.

2012년 5월 10일 목요일 오후 10:03
  • Lets see if anyone have a solution to this...I will be straight to point

4 Machines - Windows XP SP3, Windows Vista SP1, Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit and Windows Server 2008 R2 Standard

Windows XP SP3 and Windows Vista SP1 is not what I am having problem with.

Windows 7 Machine
    2 NIC
    1 NIC - plugged to a Router/Switch with DHCP On, connected with Gateway and pass to Internet, set on 100MB Full Duplex
    2 NIC - plugged directly to Windows 2008 R2 Machine
    1GB Full Duplex
    Manual IP - 10.0.0.2 mask 255.255.255.0 No Gateway No DNS

Windows 2008 Server R2
    2 NIC
    1 NIC - plugged to a Router/Switch with DHCP On, connected with Gateway and pass to Internet, set on 100MB Full Duplex
    2 NIC - plugged to Windows 7 Machine
    1GB Full Duplex
    Manual IP - 10.0.0.1 mask 255.255.255.0 No Gateway No DNS

1 NIC for both machines connected to a 100MB Full Duplex Router.

I am transferring about 50GB between some backup files and its taking forever...the speed it goes is only 10MB/Sec.

Any particular reason?

2012년 5월 13일 일요일 오전 4:44
  • Your use of MB is ambiguous.  You need to keep your bits and bytes straight.

If your data is transferring through a 100 megabit link, then 10 megabytes per second sounds about right.

-Noel

2012년 5월 14일 월요일 오전 1:41
  • I've had the slow transfer issue with Win 7 and went looking for solutions online. I came accross the old thread started in 2010 and read that, which of course led me to this thread. My network is very simple, 1 Win 7 Desktop and 1 Win 7 laptop connected via Wifi to a broadband router. I noticed this problem when copying video files from my desktop to the laptop getting around 700k/s transfer rate. Now this is clearly wrong, I can download from the chuffing internet via Wifi at 2mb/s so there is clearly an issue with Windows 7 somewhere. I cannot try the frame size fixes suggested as my adaptor doesn't have these options (it may be possible by regediting but I have't tried that yet). It seems to be however that fiddling with frame sizes shouldn't be needed. This next point is what proves it I can setup an FTP server/client between the two machines on my network and transfer at full speed with no problems without having to mess around with any reg settings. This test led me to the overwhelming conclusion that the culprit is the windows file sharing system itself, Samba. So to that end I started doing some deep research, investigating and network sniffing. I have now found exactly what is causing the problem. It's to do with packet clustering and timeouts.

Starting from (according the reasearch I found) Windows Server 2003. A network optimization system was introduced by default. This system is designed to optimize network throughput and persistance by "queuing" packets so as to send more packets in 1 burst. Windows TCP stack basically recieves a request to send a packet, the TCP stack holds this packet for a short time to see if any more packets arrive for transmission. This allows it to send 1 big "burst" of data in 1 go rather than several smaller ones. Now this is all well and good on TCP connections as the error control and acknowledgements are handled at a deeper level. This is NOT the case for UDP (which windows sharing uses). All error control has to be done by the implementing application, and THIS is where the problem arises. When windows attempts to send a file across file sharing, it sends it via UDP, each UDP packet requires an acknowledgment from the other machine before the next packet is sent. BUT, the TCP stack is holding the packet back waiting for more to send until it times out. This seriously slows down the entire process because UDP packets are being queued and not acknowleded quickly enough by the recieving machine.

I am currently trying to find out how to disable this packet queuing system, which should completely eliminate the problem.

2012년 5월 15일 화요일 오후 6:55
  • Very interesting discovery... 

I wonder why it would work on some setups and not others.  Maybe simpler networking - e.g., where both computers are on the same subnet, or where latency is small (or ???) cause this packet queuing to be circumvented automatically.

I'll be interested in hearing whether you've been able to verify that this feature is indeed the culprit, and especially whether you find a way to disable it.

Have you tried tweaking the "Max Transmit/Send Descriptors and Send Buffers" setting listed on this page?

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc558565(v=bts.10).aspx

-Noel

In development:

2012년 5월 16일 수요일 오전 3:19
  • This is a summary output for a file transfer tool I wrote and shows XP machine 10x faster than the W7 to tranfer the same files across the same network devices to the same location.

Note: Windows 7 Host is running the XP as VM guest, so the network connection is the same to the web folder. This has also been tested on other XP/W7 machines and the result is the same - the webfolder connection is awful if you use W7, fast if you use XP. I would suggest this points to a W7 issue.

The files transferred are 24 'junk' .txt files, but the same happens with single large files. I can supply a more detailed break down of the transfers if anyone wants them.

Upload Download
    File Num Up Fail Total Size Bytes Active Time mS MB Per Sec File Num Down Fail Total Size Bytes Active Time mS MB Per Sec  OS
    24 0 849376 268851 0.003 24 0 849376 76381 0.01 W7 Windows SPoint Webfolder
    24 0 849376 16466 0.049 24 0 849376 8811 0.09 XP Windows SPoint Webfolder
    24 0 849376 388 2.088 24 0 849376 572 1.42 W7 Windows Network Share
    24 0 849376 656 1.235 24 0 849376 767 1.06 XP Windows Network Share

• 편집됨 Far-q 2012년 5월 16일 수요일 오전 11:09 Edit
    2012년 5월 16일 수요일 오전 11:06
  • We have been fighting against slow network performance for several months at the office and finally nailed it down.  The case was quite disturbing as the symptoms appeared ONLY with Win7 and ONLY when writing to a specific Windows 2003 file server sitting on the same LAN.  In other words:

• Windows XP writing to the server = no problem
    • Windows 7 client writing to other servers (various operating systems) = no problem
    • Windows 7 client (sitting at a remote office), writing to the server = no problem
    • Windows 7 client (sitting at the local office), writing to the server = time-outs and error messages. Unusable.

Network sniffing showed packet loss, retransmissions and time-outs.  We suspected every component and ran through the scenario depicted in this thread:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itpronetworking/thread/0e66431f-afb9-497b-8076-efd6891bf22d/

The problem was finally solved by... rebooting the local network switch, a good old Cisco 2950 which had been running for several years untouched.   Quite surprising.   Not sure why but problem solved :-)

2012년 5월 16일 수요일 오후 1:51
  • A lot of these "slow transfer" issues seem to involve some kind of non-trivial networking hardware between machines, while bridged (same subnet) operation seems to be more likely to be fast.

Far-q, can you describe the network topology between client and server?

-Noel

In development:

• 편집됨 Noel Carboni 2012년 5월 18일 금요일 오전 4:09
    2012년 5월 18일 금요일 오전 4:09
  • This is quite the conversation.. I have been monitoring many threads with many people affected by this. Come on MS why cant you help us poor buggers out!

Noel .. I admire your efforts to get this resolved, but other than asking more questions and recaping, I havent seen any concrete soltutions at all from you. Not quite sure where you are going with all of this.

Marcus... You have the closest observations to what I have noted.. gone further however.. you are clearly on the right track.

Good to see other summarizing their layouts and updating up (texx12, jonnyjii for example).

But here is my two bits.

I am a network admin for hire in a community of 125,000 people. I have been a MS certified tech since 97 and work in the treanches each and everyday on computer issues ranging from my desktop is the wrong color to VPN connection and AD issues.. quite a wide variety.

I have a hotel i have serviced since 1997 starting with NT 4 and working up thru the years to differnet server versions, differnet ws versions and all has been fine up until nov 2011 when one of the staff responsible for social media updates for the site had her XP pro computer replaced with a windows 7 pro tower.

Each user onsite has a dedicated user folder on the windows 2003 standard server onsite. Her folder has something like 50 folders in it. Perhaps a total of 500 mb of mostly doc and excel files.

Just opening her mapped drive in "my computer" results in the background of the address bar showing a green progress bar slowing going left to right over 45 seconds there abouts - just on browsing of folders!.. here is where the fun started... after testing and putting in another switch between her computer and the main network switch and even changing the NIC in her tower, it was clear to be network / TCPIP stack issues. I even rebooted the main network switch with no fix.

I read tons of documents (as I am sure we all have) and followed a thread (which I cannot find now for the life of me!!) which in addition to playing with NIC settings, and reg edits pertaining to numerous issues, I found one which worked for me - which I notice VLCC has mentioned on this thread as well.. but he says with no solution on his end (???)

hklm/system/ccs/services/lanmanworkstation/parameters

Dword

DisableBandwidthThrottling = 1

Once I applied this registry edit and rebooted, all is golden.

Two months ago I setup a net network for a church. Four computers total. One of these computers is a windows 7 pro workstation with basic file sharing tasks. Another is the bookkeepers workstation .. her excel docs are on the server. Same thing with her... she reaches thru the network to get to the files, and SUPER slow. I have seen this before and went straight to DisableBandwidthThrottling=1 and boom fixed. Simple network with all hardware connected directly to new linksys E model router.

Yesterday called back to a fully windows 7 home premium installation which was relocated from one building to another. Everything is the same EXCEPT a new router, patch cables and possilbe some workstations are plugged into a switch then router, instead of router then switch. Slow simply accounting load from windows 7 home premium server to 7 home premium client. SA times out half the time.

Same regisitry change on both affected computer, reboot both and its been golden. They have reported no issues in speed whatsoever.

Few things to note:

http://www.daveherbert.info/network-bandwidth-throttling-in-windows-7

http://www.techradar.com/news/software/operating-systems/how-to-speed-up-your-computer-934508   (near the bottom of the page)

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itproperf/thread/5eed0491-0d2d-4520-962a-6e6c3b51bfc9/

I do believe I have this fixed as the three locations with this issue initailly is not reporting problems anymore. And reading up on how windows 7 handles data transfer / network latency, it makes perfect sense.

Hope this helps and I can recap other attempted fixes on job one if you require (would have to dig to get this info however as it was a few months back and most of it didnt work)!!

Cheers!

Craig

2012년 5월 18일 금요일 오후 3:10
  • Noel .. I admire your efforts to get this resolved, but other than asking more questions and recaping, I havent seen any concrete soltutions at all from you. Not quite sure where you are going with all of this.

I was involved in a conversation prior to the creation of this thread about slow network performance.  I figured I might be able to facilitate discussion on the forum that might uncover a solution, as I don't seem to suffer from the problem.  

I'm sorry that no perfect solution has jumped out and bit anyone yet, but you'll note I got VLCC and you to post a promising tweak in this thread!

VLCC's and your DisableBandwidthThrottling=1 change sounds promising.  It would be nice to hear back from others who have tried it to see if it has helped.  Notably I don't have this value defined.

As with many of Windows' difficulties, the system is so complex that not always does a simple fix correct everyone's problems.  At least one poster above has mixed up bits and bytes, and VLCC reported this fix didn't help him as it did you.  With some luck, it may help some others.  Thanks for adding your experience here!

Just for reference, since your shorthand may confuse some folks, we're talking about adding the following DWORD value to the registry and setting it to 1:

[ HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ SYSTEM \ CurrentControlSet \ services \ LanmanWorkstation \ Parameters ]

DisableBandwidthThrottling   REG_DWORD   0x00000001(1)

-Noel

In development:

2012년 5월 18일 금요일 오후 7:14
  • I use to get about 600 mbps continuous speed when transferring files between my VISTA workstation (4 core XEON 16GB 2TB DELL 490 workstation and my Windows 2003 Server. 

I switched to Windows 7 Ultimate 64.  Sometime later I noticed my speed dropped considerably.  Not sure if it started as soon as I installed Windows 7 or later.  I went through the original forum very carefully and tried many things suggested to no avail.  So I gave up for a while, until my NetGear Gb switch died.  I ordered another Gb switch (a managed one) from netgear (GS108EV2).  This is a nice switch and the best part of it is that it tells you what each port is seeing as far as speed.  My server 2003 was a solid 1Gb for both of the Intel pro 1000 MT adapter ports.  However, for the Dell workstation running Windows 7, it showed only 100 Mbps speed which I verified when I looked at the Status page of the connection properties.  So not only was I not getting the the Gb speed when it showed 1 Gb but now the speed being negotiated was set at 100 Mbps. 

I noticed that the 1000 MT on the workstation side had very old (2006) drivers and they were the only ones available at the time for it, so I purchased a ProSet Desktop 1000 Mb CT adapter which had 2012 drivers.  I also purchased from Cables To Go a Cat6 cable hoping that would be an advantage over the CAT5e that I was using.  It was a struggle to get the Intel drivers to override the Microsoft provided ones.  However, I found a way to do that.  After I uninstalled the ones from microsof and trying to install the Intel version, there was an option not to install the default Microsoft ones (only on windows 7 and not on windows 2003) and instead allow the install of the Intel ones. 

The drivers intalled fine and I finally got the tabs provided by Intel ProSet drivers that allowed you to change the default link speed to 1Gb.  I should note here that when I used the connection property advanced configuration to change to 1Gb, the connection would disappear and not show at all until you changed it back to auto negotiate.  But using the Device Manger ProSet options link speed tab to change the link speed I was able to do change the link speed.  The ProSet drivers also included a utility to test the wire and the connection which finally gave me a clue.  It told me that the new Cables to Go Cat6 cable was missing 2 wires that would allow it to go to 1 Gb speed.  I changed back to the Cat5e that I already had and sure enough, I was able to set the link speed to 1Gb.  So at this point I was all excited to see the old 600 Mb file ccopy speed.  At first I was really puzzled because the highest speed was 12 Mbps.  Thinking a bit about this, I got an idea to disable the internet nics (I have 2 nics for each machine: 1 that goes to a 100 Mb Switch which leads to my internet connection and my other nic which is dedicated to the internal Lan at 1Gb.  When I did this the speed jumpted to approximately 30 Mbps.  So amazingly, for some really stupid reason, windows chooses the slower link to copy files from one machine to another by default...go figure.  Anyway, so although I've found a way around the 100 Mbps speed that the connection was being set at automatically, I'm still way slower than I want to run the connection between the computers. 

I hope this helps anyone who might be having the problem of not being able to set the connection speed to 1Gb, but I'm still trying to figure out why I can't get to the very fast speeds I was used to on VISTA.  I'm willing to bet that this is the work of one of the genious Microsoft updates. I'm not sure what they've done but they are being awufully quiet about it.

-Romel Evans

• 편집됨 romelevans 2012년 5월 28일 월요일 오후 1:30
    2012년 5월 28일 월요일 오후 1:20
  • I'd like to make the request that folks posting here describe their actual throughput results and spell out the terms they're using clearly (especially the difference between bits and bytes). 

It would be best to explicitly describe the file size(s), how many files, and how long it takes to do what operations.

For example, romelevans, what does "about 600 mbps" or "12 Mbps" mean in your post above?  What are your actual and expected file transfer rates in bytes per second and how are you actually copying those files across your network link?

As I have shown above, it should be possible, with everything working optimally, to get close to the theoretical maximum at around 100 megabytes per second transfer rate across a 1 gigabit per second Ethernet link.  Anything less than this represents degradation / loss of performance.  Exactly how much degradation is important to this conversation, and we need to try to avoid confusion over terms.

-Noel

In development:

2012년 5월 29일 화요일 오후 7:40
  • Would like to try this with my Win 64 bit. In the case of the 64 bit OS; should this reg setting be applied as a QWord or DWord?

Thanks,

knutb

2012년 6월 4일 월요일 오후 5:47
  • Hi all,

I have the same problem with large file transfers by WiFi in Windows 7 64 bit. Connection is 56 MBit/s, but when I try to copy file between two computers in the local network (both have the same OS), I can get only 30 KBytes/s. But today I found that if I refer to the source file not by computer name (\\X8\e\...) but by IP address (\\192.168.1.4\e\...),  then transfer speed it about 3 MBytes/s (that is fine for me). Looks like something is wrong not with hardware or drivers, but with network settings. What can it be?

2012년 6월 22일 금요일 오후 4:54
  • My network system suffers from slow transfer speeds. When I first installed gigabit cards it worked well for a while, but then slowed.  The router/switch is a Linksys WRT310N V2. My Windows Home Server is a Pentium 4 2 Ghz with a Via bridge and 1 Gig RAM. Desktop system is Windows 7 Dell Core 2 Duo 2.3 Ghz with 8 Gig RAM. Right now the gigabit cards are removed; just using fast Ethernet. Transferring a 1 gig video file takes about 7 minutes, at transfer rate of 2 or 3  MB/second. I set the DisableBandwidthThrottling to 1 in registry.

Just now I put in that registry setting on the Home Server and file transfer speed doubled! That’s a big help!

Russ
    2012년 6월 24일 일요일 오후 9:12
  • Another data point.

Two windows 7 professionals, connected to a gigabit switch with cat 6 cables.  Firewalls disabled.  No AV software, or "internet protection" crap.

1. Copying large, single files under 4GB?  network utilization is near 100%, speeds around 100MB/s.  Expected
    2. Copy a large file that is 8GB immediately afterwards?  Starts fast, immediately drops down to about 7-9MB/s.  Not expected.
    3. Copy another smaller file again?  speed goes back to 100MB/s

Highly annoying.

I've tried

• adding the "DisableBandwidthThrottling=1" registry entry
    • disable the autotuning via the netsh command

I'll just have to keep searching for other tweaks.

2012년 6월 26일 화요일 오전 5:11
  • I have a Quad-Core (8 logical cores) i7 3Ghz system with 12GB RAM and a Solid State Drive.  Speed is not a factor while doing anything from editing huge photoshop files to loading enormous files in 3D Studio Max, and while copying data to USB devices is slower, it is not unexpectedly slower.  However, when transferring a measly 10MB of data to a network share, the transfer speed is about 35Kbps (that's KILOBYTES per second) and takes over 6 minutes to complete.

Considering *all* of the different hardware configurations mentioned in this post and it's predecessor (see below), and *all* of the would-be fixes that simply do nothing, it is clear to anyone that is not willfully ignorant that this is an issue with the Windows 7 operating system, and the fact that this is still an issue 2 and 1/2 years after the original posting is unquestioningly, positively, and absolutely un-(insert favorite colorful metaphor here (mine starts with "f"))-acceptable.

The original posting can be viewed at http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itproperf/thread/4537c7b6-9761-41c5-8b47-0ecb831c8575/

Given the horrifically excessive timeline of this issue, and taking into account the lack of any solution whatsoever, and seeing on a daily basis that my internet transfer speed is devastatingly faster than any internal intranet transfer,  there is only one logical conclusion; Windows 7 is intended to behave this way and Microsoft has no intention of fixing it.

I am extremely disgruntled over this and even more put out by the clearly deliberate ignorance by Microsoft.  I really do like Windows 7 but not being able to efficiently transfer data around my local network is SO bad that it eclipses many of the positive points that Win7 has brought to the table.

I am subscribing to this thread in the vain hope that someday, somehow, I will get an email notification saying there has been a breakthrough and we can all move on from this ridiculous problem.

2012년 7월 9일 월요일 오후 10:16

• Requirement for full speed ethernet transfers (75% of 1000 every transfer +) is a Non-blocking, wire-speed transmission switch!

Switches:

•ZyXEL's GS1100-16 16 Port Desktop GbE Switch is a 16-port 10/100/1000 switch (I'm getting 700-800Mbit or 80Mbyte transfers)

•ZyXEL's GS1100-24 The GS1100-24 is a 24-port 10/100/1000 switch

•ZyXEL's GS-108B 10/100/1000Mbps Port Desktop GbE Switch is a 8-port 10/100/1000 switch

•Cisco SR2024 24-port 10/100/1000 Gigabit Switch

•SMC Networks - SMC8508T - EZ Switch 10/100/1000 - 8-Port 10/100/1000 Gigabit Unmanaged Switch

•Linksys SR2016 The 16-Port 10/100/1000 Gigabit

Please try the examples given but if you don't have the right switch then it won't matter what you do at the OS

Regards,

Jason

2012년 7월 12일 목요일 오전 1:05
  • So you're saying that switches other than these specific models can be expected to slow things down?  I can believe that; without going back and scouring these threads I'm not sure we ever definitively identified anyone without a switch that was seeing a big slowdown.

In my case I'm wired to 2 LAN ports on the same router, and I assume both my Cisco E4200 and my prior Dell router just bridge the ports.

For anyone following up on this thread:  Please list what Ethernet switch, if any, you have between your systems.

-Noel

Detailed how-to in my eBooks:  

2012년 7월 12일 목요일 오전 2:49
  • I have noticed a slow upload from windows 7 to 2008 R2 thought it was related to a different NICs so i put a Intel(R) PRO/1000 GT Desktop Adapter in both, directly connected and they have the same driver, did all the net sh and other registry tweaks and upload from win7 to 2008 r2 dose not exceed 25% 30MBps but download from 2008 R2 to win7 will get 75%+ 80-100+MBps. Going to use same setup and test with new installs of XP to same 2008 R2 and new 2008 r2 to same 2008 r2, will post findings.
    2012년 7월 12일 목요일 오후 7:39
  • Thank you for this and the prior thread - a very big help.

I just installed a Win7 64bit machine and had the same problems of copies across the network taking forever. We were using a Linksys EZXS16W and it definitely was REAL slow. So we bypassed this switch and everything copied across the network at expected speeds.

However, I am trying to figure out what I can buy locally at Microcenter given I have to install this soon. (The port is shared by several printers and computers.)

I am wondering if anyone knows if the Cisco SG 100D-08 8-port Gigabit Desktop Switch will work. We only need an 8 port switch

Again, thanks!

2012년 7월 13일 금요일 오후 8:29
  • Update:  Regarding the above switch I mentioned, Cisco SG 100D-08, I asked someone I know if he thought this one would work, and he said yes, that he has this exact model installed in several places and is running Windows 7. So I will give this a try and post my findings here.

From my tests yesterday it certainly indicated an incompatible switch (it was definitely an old model) with Windows7 64bit. From the findings of this thread, it appears that the switch should be the first thing tested in terms of large data transfers - i.e., with switch and without switch.

2012년 7월 14일 토요일 오후 2:22
  • Thanks for reporting back, bb2323.

I guess it makes sense; certainly the evidence is that in a number of cases the intervening network hardware (e.g., switch) has some hand in the problems.

It is quite a lot of data we're trying to transfer (e.g., on gigabit Ethernet).  It's not too hard to imagine an implementation of a switch that just can't handle the data at full speed - though in this day and age you'd think being able to run at the full wire speed ought to be a fundamental design goal.

Looking forward to hearing how well that Cisco works for you.

-Noel

2012년 7월 14일 토요일 오후 8:48
  • I've experienced same/similar problem too. Win7 just can't do proper file transfer... and it is not just LAN. I have yet to find a switch that didn't have this problem (netgear FTV114, D-Link DI-624, D-Link DI-524, Linksys EZXS, bunch of small industrial switches like Hirschmann, Weidmuller, Spider-TX etc.) .

examples:

1. Wired or wireless LAN, copying single large file (ISO images of robot documentation DVD), file transfer limps at 60-300kb/s

2. Wired or wireless LAN, copying bunch of CAD files (70-80 files, each about 3Mb), transfer starts ok and completely stops after 4-5 files.

3. Wired LAN on the bench (single switch, no router, only 3-4 nodes on same isolated subnet), single large file, file transfer limps, transfer rates random but max 5Mb/s, transfer is choppy (stop and go). 

4. Wired LAN on the bench (single switch etc.) bunch of CAD files, file transfer limps but manages to exceed 5Mb/s if no other transfer is active; XP works fine

5. Same as test 2 but using XP or Linux VM running under Win7, transfer works normally and same as if done from native XP or Linux machine (~30Mb/s, no problem, works in one shot).

6. Just a crossover cable between a Win7 and XP machine (no switch), and file transfer is still slow. XP to XP works like charm.

7.  External USB2.0 attached HDDs (HP, WD, Seagate), Win7 starts and stops, file transfer dies at random, max transfer rate of ~20MB/s but not sustained. Initiating another transfer while first one is active, drops transfer rate in both to 3-5Mb/s (combined transfer rate is less than 10Mb/s). When one of them eventually finishes, rate of second transfer never never goes up to utilize bandwidth.

I tried bunch of different machines and OSs, but only Win7 can't perform. I agree that ethernet switches etc as any part of path need to be evaluated. However, I see the same results on any network I connect to, and on any switch/router. Even machines using dual boot (same NIC, same cable, same switch) have no problem - unless running Win7. Even other OSs running as guests in VM under Win7 outperform the Win7 host. 

Like everyone else I would like to see this resolved.  So yes, go ahead and look elsewhere if you like, but the problem is not elsewhere, it is within Win7. In fact it did not exist until Win7 was released so if there is something incompatible, it is Win7. 

just my $0.02

regards,

IK

iby

2012년 7월 16일 월요일 오후 4:27
  • I've experienced same/similar problem too. Win7 just can't do proper file transfer... and it is not just LAN. I have yet to find a switch that didn't have this problem

Just to be clear, have you been able to create any configurations where it runs at full wire speed without a switch (as I have)?

Almost hard to believe that Windows 7 networking just can't work with a switch in the line, but that seems to be the implication so far in this thread!  I should think enterprise users would be raising a bigger stink if that were the case.

-Noel

2012년 7월 16일 월요일 오후 7:17
  • Hello Noel,

Nope... I guess enterprise users have bigger budget and more leverage. This thread was continuation of a previous one that was closed after it grew out of proportions. In three years, despite plenty of feedback, there was not even a hint of getting anywhere closer to solve this mystery. It does not take much to reproduce the problem. I fully agree with seriously_annoyed, someone is just not interested to have this fixed...

IK

iby

2012년 7월 16일 월요일 오후 10:21
  • Hello Noel,

Nope... I guess enterprise users have bigger budget and more leverage.

I'm not sure I understand that comment...  You're thinking they can buy more expensive switch hardware with which Windows 7 somehow does work?  

I was thinking that maybe that corporate drone users are often just too "Wally-like" to realize they're not getting all the bandwidth they can?  Hey, if it takes long enough to copy a file that a guy in a cubicle can go get a cup of coffee, maybe he doesn't complain much...

This thread was continuation of a previous one that was closed after it grew out of proportions. In three years, despite plenty of feedback, there was not even a hint of getting anywhere closer to solve this mystery.

I know, I continued it.  :)  I think it was several predecessor threads, actually.  I've been following them for years.  But while clearly this issue isn't rare, I'm not sure a few hundred forum posts constitutes a majority of users.  It might; I don't know.  You just don't see a lot of folks go online to complain that "it works great for me".

Up above, VLCC reported, "on the same subnet it is working fine."

Can others reading this please confirm whether they do get full wire speed from Windows transfers?  I'm especially interested to hear if anyone is doing so with an Ethernet switch in the network.

-Noel

• 편집됨 Noel Carboni 2012년 7월 17일 화요일 오전 2:17
    2012년 7월 17일 화요일 오전 2:13
  • I'm using a Linksys WRT310N V2. It has gigabit ethernet ports. I got a couple of gigabit network cards for this PC and my Home Server. After I first installed them I noticed a huge speedup in file transfer but that didn't last long. After some days it was often crawling along at 2 MB/sec. So I went back to the onboard fast ethernet on both machines. It doesn't seem to be an issue with hard drive performance, since there are two HDs per machine and it's the same whatever HD I transfer files to. I wondered if updates had gunked up the OS on the server so I reinstalled Windows but that didn't cure the problem. Just now I copied a half gig file from PC to server at 11 MB/sec, but a one gig file from server to PC is creeping along at 2.5 MB/sec.
    2012년 7월 17일 화요일 오전 3:08
  • I to did struggle whit these low tranfer speed at 7 to 12 mb/s did hower bug atleast some down to the ethernet cable, but the speed allsow depends if you use ip ore name. switch is allsow a key from the look of it

after the cable was changed it did some tests:

Pc 1 
    OS=W2k3 64 stadard edition 
    nic= 1gbit
    Hd= Crucial RealSSD C300 2,5" 128GB 355 MBps (read) / 140 MBps (write)

Pc 2
    Os= win 7 64bit Ultimate 
    nic= 1bit 
    Hd= Kingston HyperX SSD 120GB 2.5" SATA 6 Gb/s (SATA3.0), 555MB/510MB/s read/write, S

Switch1= Cisco SB SLM2008, 8-port Gigabit Managed
    Switch2= Allied Telesis At-9924t 24port Gigabit Managed Layer3

copying Tests File= 3,14 GB (3 374 972 928 bytes)

switch1
    Pc1 -> Pc2 whit ip          =29,5 / 30,5mb sec
    Pc1 -> Pc2 whit name   = 41 /43   mb sec

Switch2
    Pc1 -> Pc2 whit ip          =37/ 40mb sec
    Pc1 -> Pc2 whit name   = 58/60mb sec

wil try xp on pc2 in a day ore 3 to see if there is differnce.

But shouldnt  i have even higher speed from spec of the ssd`s drives?

Regards

Kristian

2012년 8월 21일 화요일 오후 8:22
  • I ended up putting in a Cisco/Linksys 8XRJ45* (Edit: model number corrected below) Auto-Sensing GBit switch and it has been working fine for the client - no complaints about speed of transfers for over a month, and I also checked recently with them and got the same response.

This unit was only $55 on sale at Microcenter, and the client was also happy about that. It took only a few minutes to install.

I was going to install the previously mentioned Cisco switch, which I am fairly certain would have also worked, but it was $90, so I went with the above unit. I think the main thing is to get a real new model, though I am not certain that will work in every case.

Sorry this is not more technical, but I can say that the difference between this new switch and the old one I mention above is utterly different - the old switch being painfully slow (and would sometimes not finish a larger copy of files) and the new one being nearly like saving to a local hard drive.

Anyway, thanks once again for this very informative/helpful thread.

Edit:  I was reading the model # off the receipt and it was wrongly printed there. The switch that is working fine is:

Cisco Linksys SE2800

• 편집됨 bb2323 2012년 8월 30일 목요일 오후 6:12
    2012년 8월 26일 일요일 오후 9:05
  • It's great that you followed-up here, bb2323.  Thank you!

So what you're saying, if you'll confirm my summary, is that you saw network slowdowns with Windows 7 systems, changed out an Ethernet switch to one that apparently handles high speed traffic better, and now the previously slow systems are getting full use of the wire speed?

It's hard to imagine that this could be the entire issue people are seeing here, since one wouldn't expect an Ethernet switch to have awareness of what version of operating system is generating the packets, unless Windows 7 is generating something that is within spec but just was never seen in the time of earlier OSs, and somehow that new something isn't being handled correctly by older switches.

Weird to say the least!

Thanks again for the follow-up.

-Noel

2012년 8월 27일 월요일 오후 2:21
  • Yes, the improvement was like night and day by just changing out the switch. Nothing else was changed and this includes cables and anything about the machine that is running Windows 7 64bit.

However, I cannot say this unequivocally "... now the previously slow systems are getting full use of the wire speed" given I did not test the speeds technically. It's just that the old switch was not usable in terms of any sizeable file transfers or copies because it was way too slow - whereas the new switch performs as I (and the multiple users) would expect it to.

The next time I am at this client site I will do some measurements in terms how fast the copies actually take now. Maybe because it runs fast enough, it seems fine, but it is still not optimal. Unfortunately, the building is only using Cat 5 or maybe Cat 5e cable, and I believe the cable to the switch is Cat 5. Will check this too.

To also clarify, it is the only Windows 7 64bit machine on the system and the only one that anyone complained about in terms of a slowdown. However, most other users are mainly doing small file transfers, whereas this new machine is for media processing and involves a lot of large file copies. Furthermore, the prior media machine ran XP and, though very slow hardware-wise (the reason it was replaced), it did not suffer this horrible speed issue in terms of file copies over the network with the old switch, at least no one complained about that aspect of it.

I think you are on to something here (though this is beyond my area of expertise):

"unless Windows 7 is generating something that is within spec but just was never seen in the time of earlier OSs, and somehow that new something isn't being handled correctly by older switches."

• 편집됨 bb2323 2012년 8월 28일 화요일 오전 2:37
    2012년 8월 28일 화요일 오전 2:27
  • Hi,

I've been keeping up here and everywhere since the dawn of Windows 7. I loved XP pro, but 7 even more, hated Vista, go figure. Point is, since the dawn of Windows 7, I've used many, many, many different computers with it, not just mine, you see, I fix computers for a living and have done so for 14 years albeit I admit I am not an networking expert or at least, not as in depth in that field as I am in hardware itself.

Basically, I don't pretend to know more than I do.

That being said, I've had to run and transfer files on my network for other systems, many using older mb, not gb nics, I've used computers that at the time were top notch, computers right NOW that are top notch. I've had Linksys routers, direct connections using crossover, I've had Netgears, I'm using a new D-link currently, I've used the AT@T router\modems and could go on but I'm sure you all get the point.

The ONE factor that has been consistent in ALL of this since the Windows 7 release, is Windows 7. I've gone back to XP pro to use as my backup PC for peoples' information because despite years of trying to get Windows 7 to transfer 16 gigs in less than a days time has been futile at best.

I could go over all the configurations, I could go back and call everyone who I know personally with this issue and still not be able to solve this, I could hash what's been hashed throughout this whole thread but let's face it, after all these fixes and tweaks and possible solutions, it's Microsoft who has failed to come forth and do something about it. While I do like Windows 7 as an OS, it's got issues man, mainly in any type of file transfer.

XPpro is outgunning my Windows 7, 50 -1 with file transfer rates over the network or backup machine. I've been through wireless, cat, everything.

I truly applaud everyones' efforts to find a solution but I think deep down, we know it's the darn OS. Doesn't mean we should quit trying of course because if MS won't do anything about it, someone has to.

The closest I've come to solving this is by shutting off 3 things...

Indexing

Remote differential compression

Windows search

One would have to ask why such a ridiculous task is needed to share files over a home lan. I found that 3rd party software like Lanshark helps as well, it does speed things up, again, hardware issue? I too tried over an XP virtual, improved greatly. It's Windows 7 MS, do something about it.

BTW, great discussion to all the poor buggers here trying to help, kudos and I hope you find (after all this effort) a good solution, if not a merit badge from MS.

EDIT: I want to note: Shut off the search in the programs and features, also, I shut this off on any system that had it, only way it sped anything up. If only one system running Win 7 has search on, it doesn't work, at least for me.

• 편집됨 gimpguy 2012년 8월 29일 수요일 오전 3:24
    2012년 8월 29일 수요일 오전 3:01
  • I decided to do some large folder copies on my home/business lan between two 64bit Windows machines with an Asus router. (I can get the model # if anyone is interested.) A 10Gig transfer ran close to 70MB/sec and so finished up in a very reasonable amount of time.

I believe all my cables are cat6 (though there are several machines so I am not 100% sure of that) and I know the router is a Gigabit router.

The harddrives are just 2 Seagates: 1.5TB 5400rpm and 2TB 7200rpm drives - that I copied between.

Anyway, not super-fast but also not an issue in my day-to-day operations. It was also about 20,000 files, so that slowed it down too.

Currently I am copying 359GB to this save archive drive and they are much larger files and so the transfer rate is hovering consistently around 100MB/sec. (I don't remember getting better performance than this with an XP machine, although admittedly, if it was going fast enough, I never bothered checking the actual speeds.)

Also, I have not tweaked either Windows machine in any way (nor the one at the client site I mentioned above, and which I plan to be visiting tomorrow).

So should I be getting much faster copies? Other than the switch problem mentioned above, I haven't noticed anything that really annoys me about Windows 7 64bit in this area thus far.

• 편집됨 bb2323 2012년 8월 29일 수요일 오후 10:09
    2012년 8월 29일 수요일 오후 9:53
  • No, you shouldn't expect too much more...  100 megabytes/second is not far from the maximum gigabit Ethernet wire speed (figuring 8 bits / byte plus some protocol overhead).  And there's going to be some file system overhead on each end (typical spinning hard drives can't do much better than 100 megabytes/second and many don't even reach that).

-Noel

2012년 8월 30일 목요일 오전 12:06
  • Just got some news today, our local college (computer science building) who is running Windows 7 on all systems now, brand new Dells, quad cores in all, 8 gigs ram in all, new switches and servers is having trouble with the network. Students complained today that accessing their student drives is too slow, it's taking most of the class time for a 200 mb file. The network instructor (whom I've known for years and highly certified) is saying that sharing or grabbing any file is so slow, they are ready to load XP pro back on. When I was told this today, I had to respond back here.

I then tried numerous tests on my network today, nothing helped plus went to wireless, no better, no worse. As usual, to transfer a 90 mb file into a shared folder, it starts off at 360 kbs, then down to 26 kbs, then near nothing. I've got all different systems, router, etc...

An interesting tidbit of information, when trying to file share with wireless, it knocks the internet connection to nothing. I have 20 meg service. note: This happened prior on wired and whole different system, cable box, router, etc...

TEST 2: I ran two boxes, not real high in resources, one a simple HP pavil, 1 gig ram, other is a gaming box but older, 128 radeon, 1 gig ram, 5200 hd wd, nothing fancy, both have XP pro. Guess what? I threw a 90 mb file in the share between them, done in seconds. Wireless not cutting out when sharing, everything is spec.

It goes against my grain to say this, especially since I'm security minded but I am so ready to go back to XPpro. I depend on fast connections, Windows 7 has been extremely disappointing in this area. Back to using the XP box for transfer and backup I guess.

MS Windows 7 64-bit SP1"" AMD Phenom II X4 955 Socket AM3 (938)Black Deneb"" ASUSTeK Computer INC. M4A785-M""DDR2 OCZ PC2-6400 800 Mhz"" NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460 SE 1024MB"" Razer Lycosa keyboard"" Razer DeathAdder mouse

2012년 8월 30일 목요일 오전 3:21
  • Not that you should be having these problems in the first place, but reverting to an outdated system is not going to keep as a viable solution.

You should continue to seek solutions.  You speak as though "Windows 7 is like that", but it definitely does work for some of us.  You just have to figure out what's wrong.

Were any of your tests between computers on the same subnet (e.g., with bridged networking), vs. having some piece of active hardware between them?

-Noel

2012년 8월 30일 목요일 오전 3:33
  • If possible, in order to isolate the problem(s), I would put together two Windows 64bit Pro machines with a switch and test in the simplest way first. Find two machines that work with a new switch and just start swapping out cables, old/new switches, machines... I am convinced that a Windows 7 64bit vanilla install with the latest updates will work fine with the right router or switch. My network has been running these for several years but I do tend to buy new equipment. It was only when this one client was going with an old switch that there were problems.

It is clear that Win 7 64bit has issues with older switches and quite possibly some new ones - at least from what I have seen in this thread and also now in my experience. Two older switches (Net Gear and Linksys) killed the transfer rates for the Win 7 64bit machine. I am also wondering if this problem occurs with the 32bit version too.

Anyway, the best to you with your search to isolate your issue(s)!

2012년 8월 30일 목요일 오전 4:49
  • I am at the client site I mentioned above and tested the transfer speed - it is only about 10MB/sec for large file transfers.

This is not surprising to me because the server is actually connected through a second 10/100 mbit router. This 10MB/sec speed is still WAY faster than it was when the old switch was in place.

Also, when I mentioned above the model # of the new switch at the client site, I was reading it off the receipt which turns out to be wrong. The switch that is working fine is actually:

Cisco Linksys SE2800

I also want to add that I understand that Windows 7 is at least part of the problem with this slow file transfer situation people are experiencing - and that I understand that it may also be part of the hardware used - e.g., the switch, the NIC, etc.

For the record, the machines I know the transfers are working at normal speeds all have the ethernet port built into the motherboards. I also always have the most current drivers installed both for Windows 7 64bit and all the specific hardware drivers. The motherboards are typically Asus or Gigabyte and Sandy Bridge compatible or an 1156 type. 

• 편집됨 bb2323 2012년 8월 30일 목요일 오후 6:16
    2012년 8월 30일 목요일 오후 6:09
  • My son and I both have Windows 8 which we installed yesterday (Haven't had a lot of tryout time with it). I couldn't help but laugh because we can now share files again. 90 meg tranfer? 20 seconds over wifi. Boot to Windows 7 on 1 machine, 147 kbs, better but again, lagging. Both boot to 7, back down to 26 kbs.

Now, I guess one of the short cut troubleshooting issues (if you want to call 2 years a short cut of troubleshooting this), was to yet again install a different operating system. I guess at this point, I'm not sure that I like Windows 8 and don't want it to be about this, I have to know how to troubleshoot it regardless but my point, it's working better than 7 by far. XPpro, better by far. Even our Linux OS, works flawlessly transferring files.

I do understand that some have no issues, it's the age old problem, you get X amount of people that have problems with a specific software or OS, then a handful that don't. Either way, it's clear that numerous people, including our college is STILL having issues with 7. Honestly, MS has done one thing... ignore it, put out Windows 8 and move on. That I feel is their solution.

There is no way to have 3 different operating systems sharing files flawlessly and quickly except one, while having been looked at under the hood in detail to fix it's problem, has still failed. It's not the network, it's not the hardware, it's not anything else, it's bad programming in  Windows 7 but by now, again, too late for MS to care I'm sure, else it would have been handled way back when people first had the issue.

Time to move on to Windows 8 I think.

MS Windows 7 64-bit SP1"" AMD Phenom II X4 955 Socket AM3 (938)Black Deneb"" ASUSTeK Computer INC. M4A785-M""DDR2 OCZ PC2-6400 800 Mhz"" NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460 SE 1024MB"" Razer Lycosa keyboard"" Razer DeathAdder mouse

2012년 8월 31일 금요일 오후 8:12
  • Had the same issue again today... and put in the DisableBandwidthThrottling=1 and it didnt work!

Great....

So i went back to another tech document I have been looking at and followed the steps there... after each adjustment i did a reboot and a browse of a windows 2003 shared folder... it either is right there 100% or its soooooooooooo sllllllllllooooooooowwwww... its easy to see the differnce.

Nothing was working...

then i went into the network adapter properties and unchecked ipv6 (since i am not using it) and on next reboot... boom greased lightning.

It makes sense.. i suggest to the people(s) reading this if they are not using ipv6, disable it and try again.

I have followed this thread and dont understand the logic with network switch changes.. so i am putting that on the backburner as the problem.. I shouldnt have to change out all the networking hardware just because a new computer doesnt work...i agree this is a OS problem.. but the solution is not to move back to windows xp.. i will continue to pursue this.

Between  the disablebandwidththrottling and this:

http://www.sysprobs.com/windows-7-network-slow

at least I am getting some sort of solutions...

Will keep you posted.

2012년 9월 28일 금요일 오전 12:43
  • I have tried all the suggestions listed here and anywhere else I have been able to find scouring thru the internet. Max transfers I get are around 9MB/sec. Gigabyte NICs, E4200 router. Should be faster than that. I have had at least some success with all the suggested tweaks, when I first started I wouldn't get above 3.5MB/sec and sometimes as low as 200KB/sec. Kind of sad my max transfers over my lan are not much different than my max download from the internet at 7-8MB/sec.  
    2012년 10월 5일 금요일 오후 10:09
  • Hello to All

I had this same issue for a while now and i was told to get to the bottom of why our network performance was so slow since we upgraded our network switches and servers and our exchange etc. i read all the posts here and the original 2 year going thread before this one.

My issue started i had 4 windows 7 64bit machines that seemed to be the problem. all the issue machines and other devices were having slow file access and transfers from a server 2003r2 and a new server 2008r2 machine. test copy of a 2.6 gig iso file to the servers was extremely fast MB/sec but whe i would try and copy the same file back from the server on the same machines it would come back from the servers at a crawl kb/sec. i tried all the registry tweaks some made this a little faster and some made it slower. it was driving me crazy. i had to get to the root cause for these individual machines not being able to pull files from server 2003 and 2008 r2.

i was looking at my spiceworks software that gives me information on my network and noticed the 4 machines i had the issue with was missing the port that the machine was connected to. i have a managed switch and spiceworks reads this data from snmp on the switch so i started to wonder and i checked all the machines that were missing the port assignment on the switch. all that i found were having slow network symptom.

i have 3 Netgear GS748TS stackable switches only about 2 years old so i asked netgear for help. while i was waiting i decide to try a few things.

i moved one of the machines to a different port and checked again for the machine in mac address table of the switch and guess what it showed in the switch and at the port i moved it to. now the devil inside made me move it back to the original port it was in and it still showed in the mac tables and at the old port.

now when i tested file transfer from the server i got MB /sec back from both the server 2003 r2 and 2008 r2 machines.

so the moral with this windows 7 slow file transfer at least for me is the root cause is the affected machines were either not registering to the mac address table of the switch or the switch for whatever reason was rejecting or ignoring these machines on the original port as moving them to a new port and then back fixed the issue.

i am not a network engineer but the mac address not being in the switches table allowed everything pushing from the machine to go fast but in my case when you went to pull the files it would seem since the switch did not know the exact port the machine was connected to it made the file copy slow to a crawl at kb/sec.

i guess the moral here is to not go for all the tweaking of windows 7 networking registry tweaks etc until you can verify the rest of the hardware in between is working as it is supposed to.

now i have asked Netgear tech support to answer why this happened to understand the root cause is it the network card the drivers or windows os that is responsible to register the mac address to a switch in order for the network flow of data to work as it should.

in the meantime everyone suffering from this windows 7 slow network and file transfers maybe look at what switch you have and maybe the issue is with the switch manurfacturer or maybe it is something microsoft changed or maybe it is something the network card manurfacturer changed to cause this to happen. 

2012년 10월 7일 일요일 오후 12:08
  • I have the same problem in many different network.

1st NETWORK (small):

Server WIN2008R2 (no domain) + 6 pc clients (4 old Xp Pro + 2 new WIN 7 Pro 64 with Core i5) - LAN GIGABIT ETHERNET

with old XP Pro no speed problem on the lan, transfer files and MSDE DB works fine. With other 2 new Pc with win7pro64 the network connection is very very slow.

2nd NETWORK:

2 server (win2008R2 + Win2003R2 domain controller) + 12 clients (5 old Xp pro + 7 new HP3500 win7pro64) - LAN GIGABIT ETHERNET 

no problem with XP files transfer to win2008 and win2003, very very slow connection between win7pro64 and win2008r2 or win2003r2. i can't work with my database (sybase sql) and files tranfer and network discover are very slow.

3rd NETWORK:

1 server win2003R2 domain controller + 8 clients with win7pro64 - lan 10/100

all the pc are very slow on the network...the same network with the same server but with the old XP clients works very well!!!

I 've tried all the solutions in this thread and old thread....I think the problem is the network card model or driver, because all the pc clients in the HP with integrated NIC ....but some are Broadcom NIC and others Realtek NIC..all integrated...the drivers version are all update...i've tried to change switch and cable...antivirus, firewall...

I'll try to change the network card with a PCI EXPRESS NIC....

Mah....

2012년 10월 13일 토요일 오전 9:00
  • Here's a clue for you propeller heads...

Maybe the glacial slow copy of Windows 7 x64 across the network has nothing to do with the network packets, but instead, the painfully slow way Windows 7 reads and particularly, writes files....

I installed probably the best available FTP server... Filezilla Server x64, and using Filezilla x64 client, tried the same copy across the network, thereby cutting Windows Samba (or whatever) protocols out of the equation. 

The speed was still glacially slow...  under always 0.5 % of a 100bt connection on both machines.  

However, watching the transfer windows, both programs were shooting files across the network pretty fast.  In my case, I had a ton of small 1k files and folders to create.

I also tried FastCopy across the network, and had the same results... no imrpovement of speed.

So I'm thinking, its not the network, but the type of files you are transfering (lots of small files) and also that Windows 7 is slow to write files to disk.

2012년 10월 17일 수요일 오전 4:51
  • I take it you identify rather more with "jock" than "geek", Packageshop?  :)

But your point is a very good one, which is why I started this thread with an example of the timing of copying a single large file to try to separate copy speed issues from file access issues.

The file system in older operating systems - e.g., XP - was completely cached, meaning it could utterly BLAZE through copies of folder trees of bizillions of files.  You could copy a whole tree of files from disk to disk in seconds, then the drive light would stay on for quite a while afterward.

But apparently when things failed in that environment they could fail spectacularly, leading to badly corrupted disks, so NOW Microsoft seems to take a more conservative, serial approach to massive copies of small files.

Things like hyper-fast storage subsystems - cached RAID controlers, SSDs, etc. - can help with that, but even so there is a LOT of apparent overhead.

For example, I have a blazing fast SSD array.  It can sustain over 1 gigabyte per second throughput.

I happen to have a folder tree of about 6000 relatively small files, comprising about 500 megabytes. 

To copy this tree from one location to another takes 9 seconds:

C:\TEMP>timer  XCOPY  C:\TEMP\SSP_2.0.14.1  C:\TEMP\TEST  /S /Q

6563 File(s) copied
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Start time: Wednesday, October 17, 2012, 12:11:15
      Stop time:  Wednesday, October 17, 2012, 12:11:24

But to copy a single 1.7 GB file, 300% more data, takes only a tiny fraction of the time:

C:\TEMP>dir C:\TEMP\PSCS6_large_file_test.psb

Volume in drive C is C - NoelC4 SSD
     Volume Serial Number is 00ED-C11E

Directory of C:\TEMP

10/11/2012  03:20 PM     1,778,254,572 PSCS6_large_file_test.psb
                   1 File(s)  1,778,254,572 bytes
                   0 Dir(s)  1,160,839,544,832 bytes free

C:\TEMP>timer  XCOPY  PSCS6_large_file_test.psb  C:\TEMP\TEST\*.*

C:PSCS6_large_file_test.psb
    1 File(s) copied
      Start time: Wednesday, October 17, 2012, 12:09:01
      Stop time:  Wednesday, October 17, 2012, 12:09:02

This shows that even with hyper-fast internal operations copying large numbers of files does invoke a fair bit of overhead.  I encourage those testing this issue to time copying a large file to try to separate file system overhead from network overhead.

-Noel

• 편집됨 Noel Carboni 2012년 10월 17일 수요일 오후 4:29 formatting
    2012년 10월 17일 수요일 오후 4:25
  • This registry tweak solved the problem for me. I was getting anywhere between 20% to 50% network usage on a tenda w268r wireless N router, with built in wifi on one pc & Ethernet port on the other. After this registry tweak, i am almost maxing out the wired component of the conection, getting 9-10MB/s actual file transfer speed. Copying ~4-5 GB ISO files from the wired pc to the wireless laptop

Now to test it on my other laptops & benchmark full wireless transfer speeds.

2013년 1월 7일 월요일 오후 1:10
  • For anyone like me, who's just trying to connect to a proper OS, i.e. UNIX-based, Windows 7 actually comes with an NFS client. So, you can mount an NFS share natively in Windows (ask Google, you need to install some Windows extras), and these shares don't suffer from these horrible problems. I went from zero with Samba/CIFS to hero with NFS in five minutes ;)
    2013년 1월 9일 수요일 오후 8:02
  • Amazing!

I struggled with Windows 7 slow copy issue for years, as you can read here:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itproperf/thread/4537c7b6-9761-41c5-8b47-0ecb831c8575

I UPGRADED my PC to Windows 8 and I HAVE NO MORE PROBLEMS!!

My PC is the same, my network is the same, my switch is the same, my cables are the same. I simply upgraded from 7 to 8, nothing more than this!

Uh, now I can also copy files to my USB devices really faster then with Windows 7!

Maybe you don't like Win 8 for several reasons, but sure you will like it for copying speed!

Andrea Antonangeli --- Octet - Ingegneria dei Sistemi - S.r.l. --- Milano (Italy) --- octet.it

2013년 1월 15일 화요일 오후 1:28
  • If only that were true (here)! .. I've just changed my main pc to an i5 Win8 machine and network copies are impossible (3 hours for a 300Mb file) .. now resorting to USB stick and walking!
    2013년 3월 29일 금요일 오후 6:16
  • Andrea Antonangeli, I caution you to not generalize one experience to others.

While I'm happy for you, clearly it's not a panacea.  It's probably just an intermittent problem, brought on by who-knows-what, and for some folks just changing out their system bypasses it.  For others, it may make things worse.

For those of you continuing to have problems, I encourage you to carefully review all the equipment you have in your network between your computers, and consider that it may be that some of it just doesn't suit your Windows system.

To this day I still have great network performance here with Windows 7.  I *have*, however, seen some slowdowns with Windows 8 in the same network, where it appears to struggle with copying large sets of small files for some reason.  Even on a VM on the very same computer (i.e., with NO intervening equipment at all), a group file copy on a Windows 8 system pulling files from a Windows 7 system may be very slow.

-Noel

2013년 3월 30일 토요일 오전 1:31
  • Uh, I didn't say that Win8 is THE solution, but i can certainly say that it solved MY problems ;)

And I hope it will be OK for somebody else too.

Andrea Antonangeli --- Octet - Ingegneria dei Sistemi - S.r.l. --- Milano (Italy) --- octet.it

2013년 4월 2일 화요일 오후 3:36
  • Does anyone know if this http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2564236/EN-US could relate to that?
    I dont even have gig net speeds myself, but getting closer to the HD speeds, and there being some cache problem, then loiscyper mentioning that it is "not just the network interfaces" and more random, because cache fills are after the cache fills.
    On the other hand some people are moving the mass sized files just fine, and other are getting the slowdown after it gets going??
    2013년 4월 3일 수요일 오후 6:47
  • Cross sharing (copying) large files beyond the net buffer size to other systems not optimized for IPv6 (like Windows XP, or even other Windows 7 units not set for IPv6) forces the transfer mode to an IPv4 transfer compatibility mode. Since MS never really created a compatibility stage for none IPv6 systems, you will have to create one on the IPv6 Optimized unit (usually none Windows XP units). Try these settings :

ARP Offload - Enable
    Ethernet@WireSpeed -Enable
    Flow Control - Auto
    Interrupt Modulation - Enable
    IPv4 Checksum Offload - Rx & Tx Enabled
    Large Send Offload (IPv4) - Enable
    Large Send Offload v2 (IPv4) - Disable
    Large Send Offload v2 (IPv6) - Disable
    Network Address - Not present (radio button)
    NS Offload - Enable
    Priority & VLAN - Priority & VLAN Enabled
    Receive Side Scaling - Enable
    RSS Queues - RSS 4 Queues
    Speed & Duplex - Auto
    TCP & UDP Checksum Offload (IPv4) - Rx & Tx Enabled
    TCP & UDP Checksum Offload (IPv6) - Rx & Tx Enabled
    VLAN ID - 0
    Wake Up Capabilities - Both
    WOL Speed - Lowest Speed Advertised

2013년 4월 11일 목요일 오후 11:06
  • I had speed problems between Win7 and my server (home server 2011). The files transfered at 60mb to the server but slows to 1mb from server to win7.

I tried allot of suggested solutions but none helped until:

I found an article that said that disabling the windows search function on the win7 machine would help. I clicked on the windows button, clicked in the search  box and entered "services" hit enter and this brings up a services dialog. Then click on services (local). I found a listing for Windows search and  click on it and shut off searching. My speeds for the same transfer are now at 50 -60mb. I have been unable to find a reason that this worked! Hope this helps some of you!

2013년 5월 28일 화요일 오후 2:52
  • disabling the windows search function

Good point!  I have always done this, and I strongly recommend it as well.  It's an essential "To Work" option!  The Search Indexing feature of Windows is an abomination that wastes untold resources and doesn't actually help make systems much if any faster.  Installing an SSD and doing bona fide searches of all the data, right now, vs. going through some incomplete by design and potentially corrupted index will net you more accurate results and better performance.

-Noel

2013년 5월 29일 수요일 오후 6:41
  • While I certainly recognize that search has been a hog over the years and has had problems even of late (see the bloated .edb fix released only this month), I have to say that on Win8 I don't notice it being a resource hog. I don't notice it at all.

With an uptime of 11 days and index of 44K items, I see that searchindexer.exe has used a grand total of just under 7 mins CPU time (Core i5), which doesn't even put it in the top 10. Memory is under 100MB.  I/O reads/writes just barely make the top 10 and are dwarfed by such things as Defender (in the case of reads) and my browser (reads and writes).

I get the point about SSD, but many people keep data on their big spinning drives.

2013년 5월 30일 목요일 오전 4:51
  • Sorry before hand bout the goo.gl links, it says i cant embed images until they verify my account or something along the lines, so this will have to do.

Here's a solution that worked for me. Im logging in to post this because of how much grief i had to go through to get this to work, and for those who still havent found a solution. Hopefully would work for you aswell.

My problem: Connecting 2 win 7 Laptops via LAN cable to copy files. transfer rate: 250kb/s! redicuously slow!

Symptoms: Local Area Connection in Network and Sharing Settings is "Unidentified Network" set as "Public"

-Since i have win 7 home on one of the laptops. i cant use the secpol.msc or gpedit.msc trick that some suggest.

after searching so many forums with so may different solutions that didnt work individually, i decided to implement them all together and see if it works. (It would take me too long to check each individual solution to figure out which combination solved the problem with all the restarting and setting up on both laptops so if someone is willing to do the hard work, be my guest. for now, this is the solution that works for me)

Solution:
    Step 1:
    Open you're ethernet adaptor properties on both computers.
    goo.gl/zP5KR1
    goo.gl/2CaXm1
    goo.gl/YDgQ2s

-I have the "Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller #2"

Step 2: Click "Configure" and go to the "Advanced" tab.
    Set "jumbo frame" to highest on both computers (9KB MTU)
    Set "speed & dubplex" to highest on both computers (1.0 Gbps Full Duplex)
    Set "Large Send Offload (IPv4) & (IPv6)" to Disabled for both computers

Step 3: Go to the "Power Management" tab
    (Im not sure if this applies for Desktop computers, as both computers i have tested this on are laptops. If there is no "Power Management" tab, skip step 3?)
    Uncheck "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" for both computers then click "Ok"
    It warns about battery consumption, so if someone has the patience to test the importance to this step, or if it can be skipped then please advise.

Step 4: Go back to the ethernet adaptor properties.
    Click on "Internet Protocol Version 4 (IPv4)" and click on properties
    Set up the IP addresses for each computer as follows.
    Pick an IP address for computer 1 (eg: 192.168.1.201)
    Pick an IP address for computer 2 (eg: 192.168.1.200)
    Subnet mask: 255.255.255.0 (for both computers)
    Default Gateway: (this is where the trick is)
    For computer 1, put computer 2's IP address as the default gateway (192.168.1.200)
    For computer 2, put computer 1's IP address as the default gateway (192.168.1.201)
    Preferred DNS server: computer 1's IP address (192.168.1.201)
    Alternate DNS server: 
    computer 2's IP address (192.168.1.200)

As Below:
    goo.gl/NVdVcI

Step 5: Click ok then click "Install" in the ethernet adaptor properties
    in the small pop-up window, select "Protocol" and click "add"
    Then select "Reliable Multicast Protocol" and click ok

Step 6: close everything. unplug the ethernet cable. Restart Both Computers!

Step 7: When both have finished starting up. plug in the ethernet cable.
    Open network and sharing center. You will now have a pop-up that asks you what type of network this is.
    Choose "Home" or "Work"

goo.gl/JN867b

That should be it!

I now transfer files at the speed of 100mb/s!

I hope this helps!
    If you want to connect to a different laptop, You will have to change the "Default Gateway" for both computers which are connected via lan (Step 4)

• 편집됨 Tawfiq Altai 2013년 7월 30일 화요일 오전 12:02 added a step
    2013년 7월 28일 일요일 오후 5:54
  • Hi Noel, hi all

(B=bytes, b= bits)

I came here by searching a solution for slow copy performance.
    Have been reading this long threat coming from the previous discussions.
    My setup is different but it might help in thinking and testing. I
    applied all suggestions with no full speed solution. I had to copy
    100GB+ data in 50.000 files of all kind of sizes from a Freecom NAS to
    another Freecom network drive. The NAS built-in backup software gave
    errors. Therefore my setup chosen was the NAS via 1Gb/s LAN over a Cisco
    E3000 to a Dell Vostro 3500 with Windows 7 Home, and the second network
    disk directly via USB to the Vostro laptop.  Transfer speeds to the USB
    drive from a USB stick was 20MB/s. Transfer from the LAN connected NAS
    was 2MB/minute if 1Gb/s was used, and 9 MB/s when the LAN was forced to
    100Mb/full.

The copy software I used was Syncback Free. This is
    very stable in copying, and interrupted transfers can just  be continued
    or redone later. Even better, I could just disconnect or alter the NIC
    parameters, even install a new drver from Realtek while copying. The
    transfer stopped a while but continued seconds later after the
    connection was restored. Syncback is using port 445 at the NAS, and is
    using SMB to read the files.

The slow behaviour is believed to be
    the same problem as the long story above. While playing hours and hours
    with different settings, and checking things with Wireshark (LAN
    sniffer) en Process Explorer and Taskmanagers performance and resource
    monitors. My current conclusion is that in my case at 1Gb/s LAN speed
    the bottleneck is somewhere in Windows, and that bottleneck behaves
    badly. The transmission stopped very frequently for even 35 seconds
    before resuming. (1 second traffic, 35 seconds wait) Ping response time 
    remained below 1 msec while waiting , but the Whireshark expert
    analysis reported duplicate ACK's and bad packets at the trouble
    moments. The data came in bursts of some 1492 byte packets from the NAS
    as was also seen when using 100 Mb/s LAN and everything was smooth, and
    was all as expected.

Any trick that put in another bottleneck
    that handled the race condition well was eliminating the troublesome
    traffic stops. The realtek NIC can only have 512 buffers for receiving,
    but maybe people that set the NIC to jumbo packets have 512 big buffers,
    and change the trigger point. Reducing to 100Mb/s was done by modifying
    the NIC parameters, or even by inserting a 10/100Mb ethernet switch
    (Netgear FS105). With Syncback I did this in full traffic load, no
    problem. In-out-in-out-in-out and checking traffic and speed. The
    wireless transfer was always smooth as expected with its 54Mb/s or 144
    Mb/s, half duplex.

The point where the Windows bottleneck has a
    race condition varies for all of us. That makes diagnosing difficult.
    Some seem to get it even at 100Mb/s and run well at 10Mb/s. My trigger
    point seems to be around 12-13 MB/S , the speed I get with the 1Gb LAN just before the traffic stops.

One
    particular reply got my attention in this long discussion, as it was
    one that actually referred to an existing and confirmed bottleneck in
    Windows 7. It points to: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2582112 . Can
    the mentioned "power service", whatever this is, be our bottleneck
    behaving badly when it kicks in when the LAN transfer speed is not the
    limiting factor anymore ???? Is it possible to verify this KB by using
    poolmon.exe ???? Looks like a tool for Win-NT up to 2003 only.

2013년 8월 23일 금요일 오후 9:29
  • Thanks for your feedback, BPWL.

I'm not sure if it's the same issue but I now have two different Windows 8.1 preview systems (both Pro and Enterprise Previews) running on virtual machines that exhibit this problem - or something very much like it.

Something seems wrong in the protocol stack for Windows networking.

Internet access - e.g., browsing - is not affected.  But multiple file transfer between Windows 8.1 and older systems is dismal.

Some interesting observations that I'd like to confirm with anyone else who's seen this...

• The transfer may copy several files quickly, then almost immediately slows to a virtual crawl.  I have occasionally seen it fail, but usually it struggles along at incredibly slow throughput speeds.
    • There is no problem reaching the Internet (e.g., browsing) from the Windows 8.1 guests.  It runs clean and fast.  Only Windows networking - e.g., copying files between Windows systems - is affected.
    • The system being copied from sometimes lags while the guest is accessing it, as though a common resource is tied up.  Occasionally the fans will speed up, as though there's a heavy CPU load, though I haven't seen much of that in Task Manager.
    • PING from the guest to the host is IPv6 and succeeds 100% of the time and time<1ms, with VERY occasional delays longer than that - even while a lagging transfer is taking place.  The problem seems to be in the network stack somewhere above IP.
    • Some file types seemed to transfer faster than others, leading me to initially wonder whether anti-malware software (Windows' own antimalware on the Win8.1 system and Avast! on the other system) could be involved, but it's not consistent.  Disabling AV software doesn't change it.
    • It doesn't matter whether using a mapped net drive or a UNC file name, the problem happens both ways.
    • No obvious errors show up in the event logs to give a clue what's happening, though the event log is not clean (e.g., "The server {AB807329-7324-431B-8B36-DBD581F56E0B} did not register with DCOM within the required timeout.").  However, these errors don't seem consistent with the laggy network operation.
    • The problem happens with a bone stock, just installed Windows 8.1 system.
    • Transfer between two Windows 8.1 systems seems better, but does not approach wire speed.

Now that I have some systems in this state I can finally experiment some myself, so I'm going to go back and read through all these threads again and see what (if anything) helps.

-Noel

• 편집됨 Noel Carboni 2013년 8월 24일 토요일 오후 8:13
    2013년 8월 24일 토요일 오후 8:13
  • At least part of the Windows 8.1 network sluggishness problem is due to the Microsoft anti-malware software.

I replaced the Microsoft anti-malware solution that comes packaged with Windows by installing the Avast 9.0 beta.  File transfers through the Windows Networking protocol stack are now MUCH faster - now as fast as with other versions of Windows.

However, it has still been seen to stall during large transfers, as though somewhere in the protocol stack it is taking an error.  Usually it will recover and resume transfer after a time.

I am running it in a VM, so it's possible there is an error in the network driver.  Interestingly, it doesn't seem to be as much of a problem when using VMware's NAT networking as when using Bridged networking.

-Noel

2013년 8월 27일 화요일 오후 4:05
  • With the help of the VMware team the rest of the problem is solved (or at least very well worked-around).

The problem is apparently in the emulated NIC, which is the Intel e1000e by default.

Altering the virtual Ethernet device in the VMware .vmx file to a slightly older emulated hardware, the e1000, corrects the issue entirely.

Specifically, in the .vmx file that defines the virtual machine:

change

ethernet0.virtualDev = "e1000e"

to

ethernet0.virtualDev = "e1000"

-Noel

2013년 8월 28일 수요일 오후 8:10
  • Hi All,

I have a setup with 2 laptops , 1 tower & 1 micro tower plugged into the living room TV and directly to the hub.

About 2 months ago I replaced the TV PC with a much newer micro tower, so now all 4 are running 7.

I don't often copy files back and forth, but had to last night, and it was terrible, it wasn't when using the older pc but only small files would now copy and at speeds like 20k per second, bigger files would error.

So I started trawling thru the forums and trying every fix, and tried copying between all the PC's with the same problem. Also rebooted the router and all 4 PC's.

Some of the suggested tweaks helped a little but I reluctantly applied the hot fix posted further up, I'm never keen on hotfixes they have solved and caused problems.

Now I get around 50mb/ps copying in any direction from any of the PC's, which I'm sure is better than I've ever had even when on XP.

It's irritating that MS can break such a fundamental networking component and take so long to send out a fix.

Just my 2p

2013년 9월 25일 수요일 오전 11:28
  • on win 7 try:-

disable both:-

Enabling Large Send Offload v2 (IPv4)

Enabling Large Send Offload v2 (IPv4)

to find these settings, right click on lan connection/wireless connection

properties

advanced

set both to disabled

restart

2013년 10월 15일 화요일 오전 10:37
  • A question for Noel Carboni

where did you get the TIMER function or command that you use in your examples of file transfer speeds ?thanks

2014년 3월 8일 토요일 오후 4:01
  • Hi Robert,

Heh, talk about a blast from the past:  That's just a little batch file and Win32 command line program I wrote wayyy back.

Here are copies if you'd like to use them:

http://Noel.ProDigitalSoftware.com/Misc/Timer.zip

-Noel

2014년 3월 8일 토요일 오후 6:28
  • The following chart is for write/read times to a RAID and single drive on a Win7
    computer used as a file server.  Read times from Win7 computers on the server are
    exceptionally slow.

Computer      Write    Read        OS           NIC     Path           RAID
                    (*Mbps) (*Mbps)
    Server         1608      22        Win 7        1000    Network        Yes
    Server         1336    847        Win 7        1000    Network        No
    Server         1938      17        Win 7         N/A     Local            Yes
    Server         1675     836       Win 7         N/A     Local             No
    ASUS Main     772      16        Win 7        1000    Network        Yes
    ASUS Main     461     409        Win 7       1000    Network        No
    HP-n1640a     278     315        Win XP     1000    Network        Yes
    HP-n1640a     305     296        Win XP     1000    Network        No
    Dell2400          79      82         Win XP       100    Network        Yes
    Dell2400          84      82         Win XP       100    Network        No

*  Read/Write rates above determined using LAN Rates (lite) by: 
    Totusoft.com

I am hesitant about applying hotfixes; but wonder if hotfix at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2675785/en-us could be the answer in this case.
    • 편집됨 callawegian 2014년 4월 4일 금요일 오후 8:47 alignment
    2014년 4월 4일 금요일 오후 8:43
  • Just to add my findings.

Client had XP acting as a server to 5 Windows 7 pro and home PC's all was fine, no speed issues.

Now installed SBS 2011 on new Fujitsu TX140 Xenon server with 24GB RAM 1GB ethernet. Simple Mirrored RAID config and the network speed has dropped considerably. 

All windows 7 machines are now either Pro or Ultimate. Switch is Netgear unchanged from previous config sorry don't now the model.

How the speed issue raised its head is the client uses AutoCAD and every 10 minutes AutoCAD will save a back up of the users drawing. This has been set to use the server. This backup process caused AutoCAD to stall (Not Responding) whilst this backup completed. With large drawings this is a real pain. I have suggested the temporary backup files go to the local drive rather than the server to ease the pain. Then the owner noticed that saving multiple attachments from Outlook of around 1-3MB each was cause a visible progress bar to appear as each file was written to the server. Following some advice from above, I am in the process of trying to find the root cause.

Basics first a reboot of the switch. I'll report back soon.

• 편집됨 Codeworx1 2014년 6월 25일 수요일 오전 11:12 Spelling
    2014년 6월 25일 수요일 오전 11:10