none
Utilizing TRIM on RAID arrays running Windows 7?

모든 응답

• In the last episode of
    <658703b7-349c-46bd-874d-b16b0ff7ffdb@communitybridge.codeplex.com>,
    NickL_123 said:

Will Windows 7 ever allow for TRIM on RAID?

It's not an OS issue, it's a driver issue. Talk to the supplier of your
    RAID card.

2012년 5월 21일 월요일 오후 7:08
  • No RAID card, I am using the on-board SATA ports (4x SSD in RAID0) with Intel RST 11.5.0.1149 and RAID OROM 11.5.0.1111.

I have read, and please tell if this not true, that Windows 8 will pass the TRIM command to the drives, but Windows 7 will not. It was postulated that it is because the RST driver makes Windows see the array as a SCSI device, and that the Windows 7 driver disallows TRIM on SCSI.

2012년 5월 21일 월요일 오후 10:12
  • Hi,

Based on my understanding, this is need the driver to support this kind of function, currently, you could refer to the following article:

Can TRIM command work on Solid State Drives with RAID Configuration?

http://www.intel.com/support/ssdc/hpssd/sb/CS-031242.htm?wapkw=trim+ssd

Alex Zhao

TechNet Subscriber Support

If you are TechNet Subscription user and have any feedback on our support quality, please send your feedback here.

Alex Zhao

TechNet Community Support

2012년 5월 22일 화요일 오전 2:29
    중재자
  • Alex,

I saw that in my search for answer, but then I also found this in the RST 11.5.0.1149 Help:

•    TRIM
    This feature provides support for all pass-through solid-state drives (SSDs) in your storage system that meets the ATA-8 protocol requirements. Also, support is provided for SSDs that are part of a RAID 0 array. This feature optimizes write operations, helps reduce device wear, and maintains unused storage area on devices as large as possible.

2012년 5월 22일 화요일 오전 2:42
  • Hi,

As I said, this need the driver support. Given this is released by driver manufacturer , to make it clear, please contact the driver supplier to eliminate confusion

Alex Zhao

If you are TechNet Subscription user and have any feedback on our support quality, please send your feedback here.

Alex Zhao

2012년 5월 22일 화요일 오전 6:21
    중재자
  • Alex,

Could you please clarify that Widows 7 does not pass the TRIM command to SCSI devices?

Could you verify that Windows 8 will pass the TRIM command to SCSI devices?

Do you know, or could you point me in the direction of someone who does, if Windows 7 will get an update that will allow the TRIM command to be passed to SCSI devices?

2012년 5월 22일 화요일 오후 1:11
  • Hi,

What we said above is to indicate this is not the operating system issue, it is supported by the driver, an older driver may not support this function, but a new  version maybe work, all of this depend on the driver manufacturer.

Alex Zhao

Alex Zhao

2012년 5월 23일 수요일 오전 2:57
    중재자
  • Hi,

What we said above is to indicate this is not the operating system issue, it is supported by the driver, an older driver may not support this function, but a new  version maybe work, all of this depend on the driver manufacturer.

Alex Zhao

Alex Zhao

Please confirm that Windows 7 will pass the TRIM command to a SCSI device, yes or no?
    2012년 5월 23일 수요일 오전 11:51
  • Hi,

Sorry for my late reply.

As my understanding, Windows 7  supports TRIM command but ONLY for ATA drives. For SCSI drives, there is another similar command named  UnMap command for SCSI devices,  Windows 7 also cannot support this command, too.

Alex Zhao

Alex Zhao

2012년 5월 24일 목요일 오전 6:27
    중재자
  • Alex,

Thank you for the answer.

Will Windows 7 provide support when Service Pack 2 is released?

Also, I have read that Windows 8 does support RAID TRIM. Could you please confirm or deny that rumor?

Regards

2012년 5월 24일 목요일 오후 12:36
  • Hi,

There is new API allow Apps to send “TRIM and Unmap” hints to storage media in Windows 8, you may look this article:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh848053(v=vs.85).aspx

Alex Zhao

Alex Zhao

2012년 5월 25일 금요일 오전 3:45
    중재자
  • Hi,

I am just writing to check the status of this thread. Was the information provided in previous reply helpful to you? Do you have any further questions or concerns? Please feel free to let us know.

Alex Zhao

Alex Zhao

2012년 5월 28일 월요일 오전 7:05
    중재자
  • Hi,

As this thread has been quiet for a while, we assume that the issue has been resolved. At this time, we will mark it as ‘Answered’ as the previous steps should be helpful for many similar scenarios. If the issue still persists, please feel free to reply this post directly so we will be notified to follow it up. You can also choose to unmark the answer as you wish.

BTW, we’d love to hear your feedback about the solution. By sharing your experience you can help other community members facing similar problems. Thanks for your understanding and efforts.

Regards,

Alex Zhao

Alex Zhao

2012년 5월 30일 수요일 오전 5:17
    중재자
  • I unmarked it due to only receiving a partial answer.

If you would be so kind as to reply to the other question, I would appreciate it.

2012년 5월 31일 목요일 오후 10:22
  • Will Windows 7 ever support Unmap for SSD's like the OCZ RevoDrive 3? You must understand that finding a straight answer for this is difficult because OCZ is pointing the finger at you and you are pointing the finger at them.
    2012년 6월 14일 목요일 오후 9:03
  • Apparently there is no concise answer to all my questions forthcoming.

@Moderator,

You may close this thread if you wish, but please refrain from marking it as 'Answered', because it has not been answered.

2012년 6월 23일 토요일 오후 6:22