none
External Hard Drive (USB) is Not Accessible After Upgrading to Windows 7

질문

• I have a Dell Dimension 9100 which I recently upgraded from Windows XP to Windows 7 (Home Premium). Before the upgrade, I transferred all of my data, pictures, etc. to my Wiebetech USB 2.0 connected Fire800 external hard drive because I wanted to do a clean install.

On XP, the extermal drive worked flawlessly with no additional installation, driver updates or tweaks necessary to make it work.

But, since upgrading to Windows 7, I now cannot access it. I see it in the list of devices, but, under the Computer menu, it does not show up as an available drive.

When I go to disk management, I see the following prompt: "You must initialize the disk before Logical Disk Manager can access it." Given that all of my data is on that drive, initializing is not really an option.

Is there any other way to get this to work?

System Specs
    -------------------
    Dell Dimension 9100
    Intel Pentium 4 HT 3.0Ghz
    4GB RAM
    Windows 7 Home Premium (32-bit)
    Wiebetech Fire800 250GB (USB 2.0)
    2009년 11월 1일 일요일 오후 5:43

답변

• Hi,

Before going any further, I would like to know if any message or sound appears when connecting this hard drive. Does it appear in Device Manager?

First, please go to Wiebetech website and check if any driver for this device is available.

To troubleshoot this issue, you can try the following steps:

Modify the Registry

====================

1. Click the Start Button, type "regedit" (without quotation marks) in the Start Search box and then press ENTER.

2. Navigate to the following key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{36FC9E60-C465-11CF-8056-444553540000}

3. Right click the {36FC9E60-C465-11CF-8056-444553540000}entry, choose "Export", select Desktop in the Save in box and type backup in File Name. Click Save.

Please Note: The backup file is on the Desktop and named backup.reg. We can simply restore the registry by double-clicking the backup.reg file.

4. Highlight this key {36FC9E60-C465-11CF-8056-444553540000}, on the right pane, and then check if Upperfilters and Lowerfilters value are present. If so, please right click on the values and select "Delete" to remove them.

5. Restart the computer

Reinstall USB controllers

-----------------------------

Use the Mouse

================

First, please disconnect all USB devices and then perform the following steps:

1. Click "Start" button, type “devmgmt.msc” (without quotation marks) in the “Search” bar and press "Enter". Click “Continue” if necessary.

2. In Device Manager, double click to expand "Universal Serial Bus controllers", right click on the Host Controller, click "Uninstall" and click "OK".

3. Repeat the step 2 to uninstall all items under "Universal Serial Bus controllers".

Then, restart your computer and Windows 7 will reinstall all USB controllers automatically.

Use the Keyboard

================

First, please disconnect all USB devices. Then, go through the following steps:

1. Press "Ctrl + Esc" to open the “Start” menu.

2. Type “devmgmt.msc” in the Search bar and press "Enter". Click “Continue” if necessary.

3. In Device Manger, press Tab and use "Up" and "Down" to move the highlight to "Universal Serial Bus Controllers".

4. Press "Right" and expand it.

5. Press "Down" to move to the first item and press "Delete" to remove it.

6. Repeat the step 5 and uninstall all items under "Universal Serial Bus Controllers".

Then, restart your computer and Windows 7 will reinstall all controllers automatically.

Vivian Xing - MSFT
    • 답변으로 표시됨 Vivian Xing 2009년 11월 6일 금요일 오전 7:18
    2009년 11월 2일 월요일 오전 9:02

모든 응답

• I have the same problem on my Sony Vaio laptop. I've tried two USB drives and a 1TB backup drive. They are "recognized" by device manager, which installs the appropriate software via PnP. They show up in Control Panel - Devices and Printers. But they don't show up in Explorer and are not accessible at a command prompt. Results in Disk Management vary - no option to initialize is offered, however.

My DVD drive didn't work etiher until I found (in another forum) a registry key that needed to be deleted. That worked. But I can't do backups until Windows 7 recognizes my external media.

Can someone help get removable drives working in Windows 7?

Thanks,
    Susie
    2009년 11월 1일 일요일 오후 7:46
  • As I have used a few differnet vendors USB drives on win 7 systems, I can confirm that there is no issue with 7 and most ext USB drives.

You should check the drives on a second system to may sure they are if working, the next step would be the maker of the devices.

You should post as much info about the drives here that you can (vendor ID and so on)
    2009년 11월 1일 일요일 오후 10:08
  • I believe if I were to initialize my external drive, it would work. The drive worked perfectly on the same machine with XP (before I upgraded to Windows 7). The issue here is that I moved all of my files from my XP installation to my external drive  and don't want to wipe out my drive just to get it to work.

I'm hopeful that there is another way to get the drive to be recognized so that I can access my files without initializing it.
    2009년 11월 1일 일요일 오후 10:43
  • Hi,

Before going any further, I would like to know if any message or sound appears when connecting this hard drive. Does it appear in Device Manager?

First, please go to Wiebetech website and check if any driver for this device is available.

To troubleshoot this issue, you can try the following steps:

Modify the Registry

====================

1. Click the Start Button, type "regedit" (without quotation marks) in the Start Search box and then press ENTER.

2. Navigate to the following key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{36FC9E60-C465-11CF-8056-444553540000}

3. Right click the {36FC9E60-C465-11CF-8056-444553540000}entry, choose "Export", select Desktop in the Save in box and type backup in File Name. Click Save.

Please Note: The backup file is on the Desktop and named backup.reg. We can simply restore the registry by double-clicking the backup.reg file.

4. Highlight this key {36FC9E60-C465-11CF-8056-444553540000}, on the right pane, and then check if Upperfilters and Lowerfilters value are present. If so, please right click on the values and select "Delete" to remove them.

5. Restart the computer

Reinstall USB controllers

-----------------------------

Use the Mouse

================

First, please disconnect all USB devices and then perform the following steps:

1. Click "Start" button, type “devmgmt.msc” (without quotation marks) in the “Search” bar and press "Enter". Click “Continue” if necessary.

2. In Device Manager, double click to expand "Universal Serial Bus controllers", right click on the Host Controller, click "Uninstall" and click "OK".

3. Repeat the step 2 to uninstall all items under "Universal Serial Bus controllers".

Then, restart your computer and Windows 7 will reinstall all USB controllers automatically.

Use the Keyboard

================

First, please disconnect all USB devices. Then, go through the following steps:

1. Press "Ctrl + Esc" to open the “Start” menu.

2. Type “devmgmt.msc” in the Search bar and press "Enter". Click “Continue” if necessary.

3. In Device Manger, press Tab and use "Up" and "Down" to move the highlight to "Universal Serial Bus Controllers".

4. Press "Right" and expand it.

5. Press "Down" to move to the first item and press "Delete" to remove it.

6. Repeat the step 5 and uninstall all items under "Universal Serial Bus Controllers".

Then, restart your computer and Windows 7 will reinstall all controllers automatically.

Vivian Xing - MSFT
    • 답변으로 표시됨 Vivian Xing 2009년 11월 6일 금요일 오전 7:18
    2009년 11월 2일 월요일 오전 9:02
  • I am having the same problem.

I have a Dell Dim 9200 which was running Vista.  I upgraded to Windows 7 and now my external hard drive is not recognized.

It is a Venus DB3 enclosure with a 500 GB HD.

Under Devices and Printers "Cypress AT2LP (3.03.0000.2)" shows as unspecified.

I followed the instructions from Vivian, but no luck.

And yes, everytime I turn the HD on/off the computer recognizes that I pluged it in. 

Thnaks,
    Ted
    2009년 11월 2일 월요일 오후 10:45
  • how are we to do this with brand new HP computer where all the keyboards and mouse are usb also

why dont they just make a windows that has all these things checked before release i am not immpressed with windows 7 at all these thing were suppost not to happen according to all the hype 7 got

try give me a way to make my external work ok it has to be driver problem it shows on device manager but i cant se it at all in explorer and ues i have unhide all drives and did all any common man can do to get this to work
    2009년 11월 9일 월요일 오후 9:32
  • You are absolutely correct.  I tried the instructions on how to fix the problem as well and it left me with no mouse or keyboard support.  Brilliant!

I did manage to get my USB drive to work and what I did my help you.

1) Plug in and turn on the external USB hard drive
    2) Click Start button
    3) Right click on Computer
    4) Left click on Properties
    5) Click on Device Manager
    6) Expand the USB list
    7) Find the device
    8) Right click - Uninstall
    9) Turn off the external USB hard drive
    10) Turn back on the external USB hard drive and let it find and install the driver

Hopefully this will fix your problem.
    • 답변으로 제안됨 alittleoldman 2009년 12월 29일 화요일 오후 1:29
    2009년 11월 9일 월요일 오후 10:47
  • Wow, wow, all I can say is WOW!!!  I have had the same issue with my external hard drive on all of my computers since installing windows 7.  I have been troubleshooting and working my way through the forums off and on for a few days now.  I just tried the extremely simplistic approach offered by The Green Man above and... IT WORKED.  Thanks a lot Green Man.  I hope it works for more of you out there.
    2009년 11월 14일 토요일 오전 12:01
  • It did not work for me.  
    2009년 11월 14일 토요일 오전 1:45
  • I have a slightly different flavor of this issue. I have 2 external drives both are formatted NTFS and I can connect one or the other but not both at thes same time.  I am using windows 7 64 bit.  Device manager shows both of them in the USB section but when I try to find it in Computer (explore) page. Only one shows up. I was simply trying to change out the backup drive with a new one that had more capacity and noticed this when I tried to connect the new drive it was not displayed on teh conputer page. However if I disconnect one then it will recognize the other.  I treid the fix posted by Greenman an dit sitll doesn't work. Even if it did this is an issue that needs to be addressed.  My USB Legacy support iin my BIOS is set for Automatic. I guess I can try Yes vs Auto but this may not work either.
    2009년 12월 16일 수요일 오전 5:19
  • Just to say thanks Green Man.
    I too had been plagued for ages with same problem. I had uninstalled the drive several times with no effect - but getting rid of the USB drivers as you suggest worked for me too, although I had to restart the pc for the USB drivers to be reinstalled (I got a failure message when I just switched back on)
    Not the first USB problem I've had with Windows 7 so I should have thought of it myself. Thanks for taking the time to post your answer. Hope others with a similar problem take heed.
    2009년 12월 29일 화요일 오후 1:32
  • Afraid I spoke too soon.

Following Green man's suggestions I managed to get my Seagate 1Tb Desktop external drive to reappear and apparently function normally.  I copied a couple of files to it, and when I opened them they operated as expected.  Then I copied a few more, and got some crazy message saying the files didn't exist and the drive couldn't be found in Computer.    So Green man's solution worked for me, but only for about 10 minutes and then I had to go through the whole rigmarole again.  And lets be honest - that's not really much of a back up system is it!?!

What really floors me is why several views suggest all is well - including Seagates own utility SeaTools.

Now I may be wrong, but the fact that my Canon printer stopped working when I tried this may be totally unrelated - or it may be that the dreaded Windows 7 USB issue is not just a conspiracy theory!   I unistalled and reinstalled all my USB connections (again) and with the exception of the Seagate drive all is now well again.

But come on Microsoft - at least respond to our problems even if you cant solve them.
    2009년 12월 30일 수요일 오후 5:18
  • You are absolutely correct.  I tried the instructions on how to fix the problem as well and it left me with no mouse or keyboard support.  Brilliant!

2) Click Start button
    6) Expand the USB list
    7) Find the device
    10) Turn back on the external USB hard drive and let it find and install the driver

Yes! This worked for my Seagate 1 TB external drive. Thanks Green Man! I sure am glad I didn't try any of the other long complicated solutions listed above as this was pretty simple.
    2010년 7월 3일 토요일 오전 12:59
  • i already did this & also removing the registry but still the drive is not accessible. i am also using windows 7 home premium in a dell laptop but i was able to access it the first time because i was able to transfer my files from my old hard drive. what shall i do next?
    2011년 6월 8일 수요일 오전 9:11

2) Click Start button
    6) Expand the USB list
    7) Find the device

Yes! This worked for my Seagate 1 TB external drive. Thanks Green Man! I sure am glad I didn't try any of the other long complicated solutions listed above as this was pretty simple.

Hi, It doesn't work for me. I get to 'uninstalling devices' - but it gets stuck and won't complete. Any ideas?

2012년 5월 1일 화요일 오후 4:41
  • FYI-Here is "a" solution IF it sees the drive but access is denied.

Many folks are having this problem with external hard drives.

go to start.

type in "user access control"

(select this as the option if  you get more than one choice),

there is a bar asking for you to be notified for system changes.

MOVE the BAR for user access control to ZERO...or whatever you are comfortable with.

AT zero,,,I was able to see my external drive. YES!!!!

Set the bar where you wish.

At medium I could not access anything..

I recommend you only keep the access control bar low, when needed.

Like when you want to access a special  drive, or make system changes.

I am not an expert...

so I can tell you the above worked for me...

so create a file to tell you how to change...keep UAC high except when you want to make changes..

Microsoft is a big draw for hackers...so keep your guard up.

Good luck.

Linda

I had this problem with a Dell 5150 running on XP...when upgrading to Windows 7.  Before I transferred the files, My power unit failed so I had to jerk the hard drive out. I realize this is three years old...but I am posting my response so maybe others wont lose four days like I did..with this. Phew.

• 편집됨 Woosil 2012년 6월 1일 금요일 오후 11:34
    2012년 6월 1일 금요일 오후 11:31