none
Things to improve Windows Media Player

일반 토론

• I could not find anywhere to post complaints about WMP, and there are numerous complaints that I have. But first let me start by saying that it is my most-used media player, primarily because of the ability to create auto-playlists.

Now, here are some shortcomings:

A) Auto-playlists do not always work correctly. For instance, when creating an auto-playlist with criteria "filename containts ....", frequently it does not add each file which meets the criteria.

B) Playlist and Play panes. Why are 2 panes needed? The Play pane does not display very much useful information, only song name and artist name, and there is no way to customize this display. Providing a method to at least customize this, but also a way to view other useful information such as the release date, would be very useful. The playlist pane provides a columned display which shows useful information, but the problem is that if your playlist is in the play pane, it will not display in the playlist pane. Bad idea! Either merging the two panes, or allowing more customization of the display of the play pane, would be a much better idea. 

C) The now-playing screen. There are some nice things about this, but the main problem is that to find any useful information about the song, other than the cover-art (if any), i need to switch-back to the playlist view, which again doesn't really display useful information in the play-pane, so if i want anything more than the name of the song or artist (also, WHY does it show the album-artist by in the now-playing pane, rather than the artist performing on a specific title? BAD! The album artist does not matter!) This needs to be customizable, so that we can change which information is shown, select whether to alternate between showing one single piece of data at a time, or showing all of it at once. Personally, I would like to see the artist (of the song, not album), song title, release date, and album name or catalogue #. Other people may have different preferences, so this _should be customizable_.

D) Another thing regarding auto-playlists, especially relating to filename criteria. When changes to the filesystem in directories relevant to an auto-playlist are detected, the playlist may need to be updated. This would be great if it could be automatic, rather than requiring reloading of the playlist.

E) Not really a problem, just a request. Some other media players have an automatic DJ feature, which can produce mixes, sometimes fairly nicely. It would be an impressive feature to implement, requiring the analysis of keys and tempos, and creating a well-paced mix. Microsoft employees are fairly smart, I'm sure they could figure out a way to do it _fairly_well, even if it could never replace a live DJ.

You've got your work cut out for you. Get cracking and make a product that doesn't suck! 

2011년 10월 1일 토요일 오후 10:51

모든 응답

• I could not find anywhere to post complaints about WMP

You can go to the Windows 7 Feedback page and let them know your suggestions for improving it:

http://mymfe.microsoft.com/Windows%207/Feedback.aspx?formID=195

• 편집됨 TrekDozer 2011년 10월 2일 일요일 오전 3:57
    2011년 10월 2일 일요일 오전 3:57
  • A) Auto-playlists do not always work correctly. For instance, when creating an auto-playlist with criteria "filename containts ....", frequently it does not add each file which meets the criteria.
     Would it be possible to give some exact steps to reproduce, so we can check this ourselves?

E) Not really a problem, just a request. Some other media players have an automatic DJ feature, which can produce mixes, sometimes fairly nicely. It would be an impressive feature to implement, requiring the analysis of keys and tempos, and creating a well-paced mix. Microsoft employees are fairly smart, I'm sure they could figure out a way to do it _fairly_well, even if it could never replace a live DJ.

Not very likely that this is going to be added. WMP is a pretty simple player, hence Microsoft only considers features that are useful for a general audience. There are other and much better products for creating auto DJ mixes.

Tim De Baets
    http://www.bm-productions.tk
    2011년 10월 2일 일요일 오후 6:26
  • "WHY does it show the album-artist by in the now-playing pane, rather than the artist performing on a specific title? BAD! The album artist does not matter!"

I for one agree with you.  The PM that designed this feature (clearly) did not agree with us.

2011년 10월 4일 화요일 오전 7:01
  • The steps: create an auto-playlist using the filename criteria, and require that it contains a path, eg some directory that you want to load media from. On numerous occasions, for unknown reasons, reloading the playlist will not find newly added files which meet the criteria, sometimes even after restarting WMP.

2011년 10월 4일 화요일 오후 7:22
  • Hi,

Thanks for providing feedback.

I will forward this information to the appropriate department through our internal channel. Both the Microsoft Product Team and Development Team will take into consideration all suggestions and feedback for future releases.

Best Regards,

Niki

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    2011년 10월 6일 목요일 오전 5:29
    중재자
  • The steps: create an auto-playlist using the filename criteria, and require that it contains a path, eg some directory that you want to load media from. On numerous occasions, for unknown reasons, reloading the playlist will not find newly added files which meet the criteria, sometimes even after restarting WMP.

I tried to reproduce your issue by creating an auto playlist with a Filename condition containing a folder path. However, any new files that I added to that folder were correctly shown in the auto playlist after reloading it. What are the exact criteria of your auto playlist (a screen shot would be helpful here)? I suggest that you also check if the new files are added to WMP's library in the first place.

Also, out of curiosity, why not just use WMP's built-in Folder view instead of an auto playlist?

Tim De Baets
    http://www.bm-productions.tk
    2011년 10월 10일 월요일 오후 7:31