none
Directory Up Button

일반 토론

• Any one else misses the directory up button in the Explorer? I know that I can use the back button, the address bar, or CTRL+UP keys, but it would be nice to have the directory up button.

Is there a way to add a custom button to the explorer so it would shortcut the CTRL+UP keys? 
    2009년 1월 16일 금요일 오후 4:01

모든 응답

• Whell it sucks that theres no up button, backspace should be "up" not "back", it's absurd !!!
    2009년 2월 9일 월요일 오후 1:50
  • Yes I miss this button too. 
    2009년 2월 9일 월요일 오후 3:18
  • I agree and would like to see a Directory Up button. There seems to be plenty of room on the bar that has the buttons "Organize", "New Folder", and "Burn". Maybe if we could customize that bar to add more buttons that would help.

@cherniy kot: The correct keyboard shortcut is ALT + up.

@mare011: I think it makes sense for backspace to be "back" because it works like that in other common applications (particularly web browsers).
    2009년 2월 9일 월요일 오후 6:05
  • I sure miss it. Put it anywhere... as long as it's there.
    2009년 2월 9일 월요일 오후 6:25
  • I think they want you to start using the "click on the folder name in the address bar" method, which I love.
    The "Up" botton seems less useful, since it requires three clicks to move up three folders, whereas a single click works with the "address bar" method.
    That said, I would love to see the Up Button (or Address bar selector) added to Internet Explorer.
    • 편집됨 Jordan Riske 2009년 2월 9일 월요일 오후 10:18
    2009년 2월 9일 월요일 오후 7:21
  • Yeah but i'm not realy a mouse fan, i more like a keyboard person, so it's a lot easier for me to press backspace several times rather then clicking on adress bar, it's a good option dhough but it would be nice if they could provide an optine to bind backspace with up instead of back !!!
    2009년 2월 9일 월요일 오후 8:59
  • Mare,
    Alt+Up arrow is the keyboard shortcut for jumping upwards in a directory.
    I am unaware of a way to jump multiple times with one keystroke, however, and I don't see how that could be done easily.
    2009년 2월 9일 월요일 오후 10:17
  • That's the thing with these cool new features in W7 - clicking on the address bar is actually more functional than using the "up" button, but people would still like to see the "up" button added as an option, because we are used to it.

It's the same with QuickLaunch - while the new taskbar is probably more functional, I've seen many people ask for a way to still use QuickLaunch (a simpler way than editing the registry) and I understand this wholeheartedly. More options on how to customize one's workspace is hardly a bad thing, is it?
    2009년 2월 10일 화요일 오전 12:06
  • The problem with the clickable address bar, as handy as it is, is that some directory names are so long that everything except the name of the current directory is collapsed in that "arrow" dropdown button on the left. Also, some special folders like a user's personal folder doesn't even display its parent in the clickable address bar. (So, for instance, going from User1 to C:\Users\ to User2 requires manually typing the "Users" directory path instead of just clicking "up" or the parent in the address bar.)
    2009년 2월 10일 화요일 오전 1:54
  • I read all this, but I confirm I'd prefer :
    - "back" being "parent folder key" instead of "previous folder key"
    - have a "parent folder buton" on the explorer

2009년 5월 10일 일요일 오전 6:02
  • or, could we have something like :
    alt + click on "previous buton" = "parent folder buton" ?
    2009년 5월 10일 일요일 오전 6:21
  • The UP button was great so why the ____ is it missing from 7?

Some clever hacker will get it back for us as MSoft clearly won't even give us the option of having it.
    2009년 5월 31일 일요일 오후 8:45
  • 1) the up button has been replaced by breadcrumbs, which allow for multiple ups with just one click, and also doesn't require an extra button, thus it's better
    2) backspace is back, hence the name. also, in all web browsers backspace is back, and I don't see a problem there. also it's been that way since Win95
    Regards,
    Kristaps.
    2009년 6월 1일 월요일 오전 1:05
  • The UP button was great so why the ____ is it missing from 7?

Some clever hacker will get it back for us as MSoft clearly won't even give us the option of having it.

As a response to all of the feedback on the old Up Button, they did make a change in the W7 Release Candidate.

Take a look at Number 7 Going up?, on the following website.

Engineering Windows 7 : A few more changes from Beta to RC

Hope this helps.

Thank You for testing Windows 7

Ronnie Vernon MVP
    2009년 6월 2일 화요일 오후 7:25
    중재자
  • Despite all my criticism of the Windows 7 User Interface, I do not miss the up button, since a single click in the breadcrumbs gets me there.  I figured that out right away, it did not take a lot of learning.
    2009년 6월 2일 화요일 오후 8:20
  • Add the UP directory function to Internet Explorer too! 
    2009년 6월 2일 화요일 오후 9:42
  • Are you trying to break the Internets? ^^
    Regards,
    Kristaps.
    2009년 6월 2일 화요일 오후 10:56
  • Are you trying to break the Internets? ^^
    Regards,
    Kristaps.
    No, of course not.  The google toolbar has had this extra button ("even more buttons") for a long time now and it's a great feature!

2009년 6월 3일 수요일 오후 12:33
  • I agree! i really liked that up button. I understand Microsoft wanting people to use the new and improved method of navigation via breadcrumbs, but i have always used the up button.  there should at least be a way to add it.  I used the up button instead of the back button, since i dont always navigate to a folder by going through parent folders.  back would just send me back to where i was before, where as the up button would send me to the parent folder.
    2009년 6월 3일 수요일 오후 11:08
  • I used to miss it, but after a month on the beta, I completely forgot about it.
    2009년 6월 4일 목요일 오전 6:05
  • I've been trying to do file management with Windows 7 on a day to day basis and I am finding it to be very annoying that there is no "Up Level" button like the previous versions of Windows Explorer had. Using the Navigation Buttons at the top of the screen only partially works provided that you have already been working your way down through a directory tree. On moving or saving new files, I always seem to be going back to the root of the drive and picking my way through the directory tree each and every time when all I really wanted to do go up one or two levels from the one where I was at in order to do the same thing. Has anyone else been experiencing this kind of problem or has everyone just become complacent with Windows 7 defaults on where and how your files should be saved?

2009년 7월 8일 수요일 오후 11:20
  • You can also use the "breadcrumbs" in the address bar.  Just click the folder name to the left of the current folder name.

This is provided that the current folder name is short enough to be completely displayed in the address bar, so that at least part of the parent folder name is displayed.

There are also handy little "drop down" arrows at each folder level.
    2009년 7월 8일 수요일 오후 11:31
  • So, the breadcrumb bar is bad or we're resentful and complacent? I dunno, I kinda like the breadcrumb bar.

I don't know how or why you're going to root and drilling down when you only need to go up one level (seems odd to me) but you can either press ALT+Up or click the folder's name/arrow in the breadcrumb bar to navigate.
    2009년 7월 9일 목요일 오전 3:42
  • I like the breadcrumb bar too.  I was just pointing out the only deficiency I have seen.

I was not recommending drilling down the whole way, just clicking the parent folder in the breadcrumbs (if you can see it).
    2009년 7월 9일 목요일 오후 10:48
  • I believe pressing backspace should do the trick... if not please inform me of how to restore the button, as I loved using the up button too.
    2009년 7월 9일 목요일 오후 11:22
  • Backspace
    Go back one folder

Alt + Up
    Go up one folder

And the button cannot be restored without using third party software that create additional toolbars. You can search applications yourself, I don't know any names in particular.
    2009년 7월 9일 목요일 오후 11:29
  • I know that there is a app that is part of Vista Transformation Pack 9.0.1 for changing XP's looks to mimic Vista called Styler (which mimic's Vista's address bar, and file/folder views), maybe that could work since Styler translates Vista's "recent Pages" button(arrow next to forward button) as the Up button.
    2009년 7월 10일 금요일 오후 4:37
  • When you open a new explorer window, say your user folder, the back button is grayed out because there is no history to go back to (The back button (left arrow button) uses history to go back 1 page, like it would in Web surfing.)

We are looking for the button that will allow us to go to the next higher-up folder no matter if there is any history that points there or no history at all.
    2009년 7월 11일 토요일 오전 1:17
  • I find this the single most annoying aspect of all the Windows 7 UI changes.  I like most of them...  the breadcrumb "bar" is a tad bulky when you have a deep folder stucture.

However, having a keyboard shortcut for an item without a mouse/ui equivalent is silly.  At least give us a way to customize that bar so we can put our own buttons in it (like this UP button) and get rid of useless ones (like "BURN"... wth?  who made THAT call!!??  put that in, leave the other out?)

2009년 7월 29일 수요일 오후 7:14
  • I find this the single most annoying aspect of all the Windows 7 UI changes.  
     At least give us a way to customize that bar so we can put our own buttons in it (like this UP button) and get rid of useless ones (like "BURN"... wth?  who made THAT call!!??  put that in, leave the other out?)

I can't agree more. The Explorer Bar is the most annoying thing about Windows. You can't customize it, and you can't remove it. It's the one thing that most makes Windows Explorer feel broken to me.
    2009년 7월 30일 목요일 오후 5:55
  • QTTabBar does good job of making Windows Explorer to something it should be from the start. It saved Vista for me:
    http://qttabbar.wikidot.com/

BTW it is so easy customizable that you can put your own buttons on explorer bar. What you need is just some basic C# knowledge.
    • 편집됨 taras_b 2009년 8월 23일 일요일 오전 3:03
    2009년 8월 23일 일요일 오전 3:01
  • The up button is better. If I have bean working with an address I somtimes have to change it from unfriendly path form back to bread crumb.
    2009년 8월 23일 일요일 오전 9:41
  • QTTabBar does good job of making Windows Explorer to something it should be from the start. It saved Vista for me:

BTW it is so easy customizable that you can put your own buttons on explorer bar. What you need is just some basic C# knowledge.
    I tried it and promptly uninstalled it; that is how much I wasn't impressed. They only had a few skins (and I am picky with skins, I want it to look original/stock, not something weird), and the ones I wanted gave me 404 errors.

I couldn't get the program to change the toolbar background, even when editing the registry.

Thanks for the tip, but it doesn't work for me.

Hello! Please reply back, promptly if possible with the results to solutions to your problem!

Curious about Win7 min. system requirements?
    Readme for older ATI graphics cards or Intel onboard graphics and Windows 7 users
    Windows 7 tips
    - JoelbX
    2009년 8월 23일 일요일 오후 2:06
  • Couldn't agree more. the breadcumbs work well if you have a history but a simple up one level icon is far more useful, especially if your path is long and complex. It wasn't broken before, so why did they "fix" it.
    2009년 8월 23일 일요일 오후 2:19
  • If you have a 5-button mouse, the latest Intellipoint driver (7.0) now allows you to program a button to "ALT+ Up".
    • 편집됨 fanfarenj 2009년 8월 24일 월요일 오후 11:10
    2009년 8월 24일 월요일 오후 10:55
  • Just trying to understand - I'm not sure why the "up one level icon is far more useful" than the breadcrumbs.  I can click the "up one level icon", or I can click the level above my current folder in the breadcrumbs - still one click that gets me up one level.  Or, with breadcrumbs, I can go up two levels with one click if I want.  I'll admit that I found myself wanting to use the "up one folder" icon, but it was out of habit - not because it was better (IMHO).
    Ralph Bley
    2009년 8월 26일 수요일 오후 2:57
  • Just trying to understand - I'm not sure why the "up one level icon is far more useful" than the breadcrumbs.  I can click the "up one level icon", or I can click the level above my current folder in the breadcrumbs - still one click that gets me up one level.  Or, with breadcrumbs, I can go up two levels with one click if I want.  I'll admit that I found myself wanting to use the "up one folder" icon, but it was out of habit - not because it was better (IMHO).
    Ralph Bley

I agree with you, Ralph.  Once you get used to it, it is actually more functional.

There is just the one deficiency I pointed out above.

If the name of the folder you are in is longer that the address bar, it makes it harder to use.  You can't just click on the parent folder in such a case.

But why, oh why, did they remove the ability to customize the toolbar?
    2009년 8월 26일 수요일 오후 8:41
  • I see if when I am only three folders deep I have to select the doube arrow to the left so the address does not have to be very long before it gets tricky.

2009년 8월 26일 수요일 오후 8:54

• I agree with you, Ralph.  Once you get used to it, it is actually more functional.

I think this is an example where "more" is not necessarily better. 
    I think a single, statically-placed UP button is more efficient.  It could easily co-exist with the breadcrumbs too.

I guess when you get into the nitty-gritty of UI efficiency, you start looking at things beyond just the "number of clicks" a given task takes, but how much hand movement, eye movement & reading/visual comprehension is required.  The breadcrumbs can be handy, but if I'm scanning through some folders, looking for a particular file, having a single button in a fixed position is much easier.
    2009년 8월 26일 수요일 오후 10:40
  • Perhaps I've just gotten too use to how things were done within in windows and then Microsoft decided it was time to shake things up by changing everything, supposedly for the better. Anyway, I could not have described it better as the last comment made that said it can get "tricky". I've kind of gotten use to the new system, but I find that you really need to pay attention to what you are doing. I know one of my first experiences with this new system wasn't too pleasant when I tried to delete a sub-directory within a directory and ended up taking out the parent directory. Unfortunate for me, I did the Shift+Delete thing and not letting the recycle bin catch it. Needless to say, those files ended up being lost.
    2009년 8월 26일 수요일 오후 11:00
  • The up-level button is small and doesn't take up a lot of realestate.  It provides for easier driving via the mouse with hands-off the keyboard.  It provides for quick repeated use without having to move the mouse any further to produce the desired action, e.g. two clicks to move up two levels.  It provides consistency in user experience as the user is always able to find it in the same area in the interface versus the breadcrumb trail which changes depending on the path.  It may provide for more intuitive use once the user makes the association as to its function since the breadcrumb trail is always context related and requires additional interpretation.

2009년 8월 27일 목요일 오전 10:51
  • I think the biggest thing I've seen by looking through this forum is that people want the ability to customize the interface more, and that's a message that MS should try to listen to.  Whether that's adding buttons, being able to manually force certain behavior like file and folder ordering (disabling auto-arrange), or classic menus, there are many complaints that are simply related to the interface not being the way someone wants it.  For every person who doesn't like something, there are people who do like it.  Given that, it is impossible to make everyone happy with any interface, so let the end-user customize it.  Maybe it's not trivial, but I believe it is important.  Yes, there are third-party products that can allow for customization, and I own one of them.  But when the cost of W7 is as high as it is, why should I have to spend even more money to be able to make the interface work the way I would like?  If MS doesn't want to do it themselves, they can always just buy one of the third-parties that does it.

Ralph Bley
    2009년 8월 27일 목요일 오전 11:41
  • The breadcrumbs are useless if you have searched for a file and gone to the directory via the search results.  Using breadcrumbs or Alt+Up takes you back to the search results and not to the parent directory of the one you are viewing.
    2009년 9월 3일 목요일 오전 7:06
  • Using breadcrumbs or Alt+Up takes you back to the search results and not to the parent directory of the one you are viewing.
    Which would indicate that the Search Results page is the parent directory and the buttons are working precisely as they should. Your problem is with how Windows Explorer handles searches
    2009년 9월 3일 목요일 오전 7:13
  • Using breadcrumbs or Alt+Up takes you back to the search results and not to the parent directory of the one you are viewing.
    Which would indicate that the Search Results page is the parent directory and the buttons are working precisely as they should. Your problem is with how Windows Explorer handles searches
    Nope..   and that's the difference between the UP folder navigation and BACK (aka: take me back to however I got to the current listing)
    2009년 9월 3일 목요일 오전 7:18
  • If you want to go back why not just tell the OS to go back?

2009년 9월 3일 목요일 오전 7:21
  • The breadcrumbs are useless if you have searched for a file and gone to the directory via the search results.  Using breadcrumbs or Alt+Up takes you back to the search results and not to the parent directory of the one you are viewing.

No matter how you got there, you still have the entire folder structure showing in the address bar - simply click on the parent, or anywhere else in the file path and you'll go there.  No reason for "up one folder", or two folders, or 10 folders - it only takes one click on the folder level where you want to go.
    Ralph Bley
    2009년 9월 4일 금요일 오전 11:28
  • The button capability is still in the OS, I have seen it show up in the browse files dialog that is in older software still using the XP style common controls. And it works just fine, trick is finding the function in the Registry and hacking it into the Explorer toolbar.

Windows 7 (x86) ver. 6.1.7100.2.0.0.256.1
    2009년 9월 6일 일요일 오전 9:27
  •  And it works just fine, trick is finding the function in the Registry and hacking it into the Explorer toolbar.
    So can you tell us the registry hack?

Hello! Please reply back, promptly if possible with the results to solutions to your problem!

Readme: Older ATI, Intel onboard graphics, or NVIDIA graphics cards on Windows 7
    Windows 7 tips
    - JoelbX
    2009년 9월 6일 일요일 오후 1:25
  •  
    So can you tell us the registry hack?

Believe me if I had figured it out, I would not be keeping it a secret. I'm pretty good at small hacks and stuff but I usually just stumble upon them by chance. But try diving into the Registry with no clue where to start and you will grow old before you find what you started out looking for. I always seem to end up off track cuz I saw something else that caught my eye. Hopefully someone with a little insight will come by here and drop a few hints.
    2009년 9월 6일 일요일 오후 2:01
  • I find it incredible that Microsoft is working so hard to mix up the hierarchy of a folder structure on disk with how you got there.  Do they think it is no longer important exactly WHERE something is?  I for one prefer to organize my files rather than just toss everything into a heap somewhere in the computer and hope I can find it again some day.

-Noel
    2009년 9월 10일 목요일 오전 4:20
  • I find it incredible that Microsoft is working so hard to mix up the hierarchy of a folder structure on disk with how you got there.  Do they think it is no longer important exactly WHERE something is?  I for one prefer to organize my files rather than just toss everything into a heap somewhere in the computer and hope I can find it again some day.

-Noel

Same here, this is why I don't use the Libraries, except for that MS pushes it on you, so MY Docs is a library...

I am organizing my documents into a shared partition so all 4 windows OSs on my comp have the same My Documents folder, and I  pointing the OSs to it, but I have to take the docs out of the library first, so I have a change of figuring out where they went....

Readme: Older ATI, Intel onboard graphics, or NVIDIA graphics cards on Windows 7
    Windows 7 tips
    - JoelbX
    2009년 9월 10일 목요일 오후 2:43
  • I do not recommend, nor am I responsible for registry hacks.  All standard disclaimers apply.

That being said, if you delete this key, then logoff, then log back on, libraries should be gone.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Desktop\NameSpace\{031E4825-7B94-4dc3-B131-E946B44C8DD5}

If you export and save this key, then add it back, libraries will be restored.

Doc
    2009년 9월 10일 목요일 오후 3:15
  • I do not recommend, nor am I responsible for registry hacks.  All standard disclaimers apply.

That being said, if you delete this key, then logoff, then log back on, libraries should be gone.

HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Desktop\NameSpace\{031E4825-7B94-4dc3-B131-E946B44C8DD5}

If you export and save this key, then add it back, libraries will be restored.

Doc
    Cool.

I'll file this with all my other stupid registry tricks.

Thanks, "How I learned to stop worying and love the bomb"
    2009년 9월 10일 목요일 오후 8:25
  • I just tied this and now when i click on explorer it opens the current user documents folder. On the start menu right hand panel if i click on documents it still opens "documents library". Same for Pictures or muic links open their respective libraries.
    2009년 9월 10일 목요일 오후 8:42
  • I just tied this and now when i click on explorer it opens the current user documents folder. On the start menu right hand panel if i click on documents it still opens "documents library". Same for Pictures or muic links open their respective libraries.
    I see what you mean.

I wonder if this is a holdover from the ßeta.  The default for Explorer was supposed to be changed in the RC.

Not using a shortcut, Win+E does work correctly, as does double clicking "My Computer".

They both open to "My Computer".
    2009년 9월 10일 목요일 오후 10:29
  • Do you suppose there may be more registry keys that can be deleted in that section which would revert music and pictures etc. to opening retro libraries?

2009년 9월 11일 금요일 오전 1:35
  • That would be nice.  Maybe I could learn to appreciate the libraries...

Now, if I could find a way to eliminate "ratings", globally, I would be [almost] happy.

Doc

2009년 9월 11일 금요일 오전 2:27
  • Here is the code to use to create a macro you can assign to a mouse button in Intellipoint software to give you the Up One Level function.
    I assigned it to my scroll wheel button since I rarely used the default scroll lock function. Once again you must have the Intellipoint software for this to work.

Just copy everything between the lines and paste it into a notepad text file. Save the file with the name of your choice and a .mhm
    extention in a subfolder of your default documents folder called   Microsoft Hardware\Macros .

Thanks to fanfarenj for bringing this feature to my attention. Works great.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?><Macro>
     <KeyBoardEvent Down="true">57400</KeyBoardEvent>
     <DelayEvent>10</DelayEvent>
     <KeyBoardEvent Down="true">57416</KeyBoardEvent>
     <DelayEvent>200</DelayEvent>
     <KeyBoardEvent Down="false">57416</KeyBoardEvent>
     <DelayEvent>0</DelayEvent>
     <KeyBoardEvent Down="false">57400</KeyBoardEvent>
    </Macro>

2009년 9월 11일 금요일 오전 5:22
  • The up button is better. If I have bean working with an address I somtimes have to change it from unfriendly path form back to bread crumb.

If this were a decision between the two I would agree.  But it's NOT an either/or thing.  The bread crumb is one tool with nice functionality (i like it for various reasons); the up button is a different tool.  Bread crumbs are like a Swiss army knife with a toothpick and the up button is just a standard toothpick.  Most of the time you just want a plain old toothpick.  Once in a long while you're fine with picking your teeth with the Swiss army knife's built in toothpick...such as when you're camping or serving in the Swiss military.

I curse MS--and the person who finally decided the up button was not needed--on a daily basis.  That person should be demoted.

PLEASE BRING THE UP BUTTON BACK!!
    2009년 9월 24일 목요일 오후 10:24
  • I can't believe there is such strong feeling about the removal of the up button. The address bar breadcrumbs are a huge improvement in navigating the filesystem. I am only surprised it took so long to appear in Windows as the file manager in SGI's 4DWM/Indigo Magic desktop had them in the '90s. Of course the current implementation with the child links is even nicer than the SGI version. Still wish they would combine the functions of JGoodies DiskReport into a file manager to give a quick content oriented view but I guess fie grouping is as good as we will get. Perhaps it could be added to something that looks like SGI's FSN or the SourceForge FSV project but who knows maybe something like that is in the pipeline in the Copenhagen UI concept.
    2009년 9월 25일 금요일 오전 9:18
  • I can't believe there is such strong feeling about the removal of the up button. The address bar breadcrumbs are a huge improvement in navigating the filesystem. I am only surprised it took so long to appear in Windows as the file manager in SGI's 4DWM/Indigo Magic desktop had them in the '90s. Of course the current implementation with the child links is even nicer than the SGI version. Still wish they would combine the functions of JGoodies DiskReport into a file manager to give a quick content oriented view but I guess fie grouping is as good as we will get. Perhaps it could be added to something that looks like SGI's FSN or the SourceForge FSV project but who knows maybe something like that is in the pipeline in the Copenhagen UI concept.

While I do find "breadcrumbs" to be usefull, they're breadcrumbs for how you GOT there.  They do not illustrate the immediate 'neighborhood' (i.e. the folder above, etc.).

How such strong feelings get generated is because some of us have been using WINDOWS since it was a runtime program that loaded Aldus Pagemaker on DOS 3.1......

A behavior that was consistent, and reliable, and NOT BROKEN for 15 years should not be ripped out because some kid who grew up with a mouse in his hand and access to the internet decided so.
    2009년 9월 25일 금요일 오후 12:06
  • A behavior that was consistent, and reliable, and NOT BROKEN for 15 years should not be ripped out ...
    Exactly. UP button is useful, reliable and I always used it. Now, we have breadcrumbs, very good. But I want both. Leave the up button alone, put it in a option, hidden somewhere where I can tick it. Problem solved for many users. The ones that doesn´t like it, stay away of the option to put it back. The keyword here is OPTION. This is what users need. It is impossible to please everyone with a single user interface, so, option is a must. Taking away option, you WILL make users angry. Fact.
    2009년 9월 25일 금요일 오후 12:28
  • While I do find "breadcrumbs" to be usefull, they're breadcrumbs for how you GOT there.  They do not illustrate the immediate 'neighborhood' (i.e. the folder above, etc.).
    I must be missing something about how you use your filesystem, in what sense do the breadcrumbs in the address bar of explorer show how you got to a directory rather than the absolute path to your current directory? Are you talking about traversing using Favourites or Libraries rather than drilling down to a specific folder? That's the only situation I've seen where the address bar path doesn't reflect your actual location and I'm sure the discrepancy in the behaviour there is by design. Personally I steer clear of using either as a means of accessing the filestore but I appreciate why some people may find them useful. As for the immediate neighborhood they show you more of the neighborhood of the folder than the up button ever did, if you click on the arrow to the right of the breadcrumb it shows you all the other subdirectories at that level, for me that works well especially when I want to traverse up several directories and then back down another branch. I even wish they had implemented a flyout on the subdirectories at each level to let you traverse the new branch before selecting your destination.

FWIW I've easily been using Windows as long as you have and while I spend a significant amount of my time at the command prompt I don't therefore consider having a GUI developed by people who were too young to remember computers before they had a mouse to be a bad thing. Will we all complain as much when they eventually drop the DOS-like command interpreter in favour of powershell? Actually, I think I will!
    2009년 9월 25일 금요일 오후 4:17
  • FWIW I've easily been using Windows as long as you have and while I spend a significant amount of my time at the command prompt I don't therefore consider having a GUI developed by people who were too young to remember computers before they had a mouse to be a bad thing. Will we all complain as much when they eventually drop the DOS-like command interpreter in favour of powershell? Actually, I think I will!
    I will to.

Oh, and what ever happened to RIGHT CLICK / EXPLORE menu option?  Is that gone too??

I have in my hand "disk 1 - Install" of the "norton utilities for windows/dos version 8.0"... and I can run downstairs and grab my 386/33...
    2009년 9월 25일 금요일 오후 9:54
  • what ever happened to RIGHT CLICK / EXPLORE menu option?
    Hello!? What does "Explore" command do? Opens the folder with a folder tree in the left sidebar.
    What does Vista's/Win7's Windows Explorer have by default in the left sidebar? Could it be? Yes, it is -- a folder tree!
    (However, to make the tree follow your current folder, you need to visit Folder Options).

Regards,
    Kristaps.

P.S.: Epic shoop is epic.
    2009년 9월 25일 금요일 오후 10:10
  • http://www.mavisapps.com/ 

It works but if you computer blows up I take no responisbility.

Update: explorer crashes when opening from the command prompt so I had to uninstall it.

Almost wasted 5$.

2009년 9월 25일 금요일 오후 11:09
  • All of the replies saying "The breadcrumb feature is significantly better than the old way of doing things" miss the point -- Just because it is a better way to do it doesn't mean that it is the way people want to do it! The fact that people are willing to *pay* for the revival of this feature says to me that, whether breadcrumbs are superior or not, some people would like to (at least, sometimes) use a "directory up" button. The code is in the OS, a la alt-up, and it could be an optional button enabled via "folder options". What is there to lose by keeping this "legacy" functionality for those who prefer it?

tl;dr - breadcrumbs may be better, but I still keep trying to click the up button!
    2009년 10월 12일 월요일 오전 2:45
  • QT tabbar.

Works great with Vista but not so good on Windows 7.
    2009년 10월 12일 월요일 오전 2:52
  • The address bar breadcrumbs are a huge improvement in navigating the filesystem.

Your un-thought-through statement is along the lines of saying, "here, I'll take your hammer from you.  You won't be needing it anymore because I'm giving you a nail gun.  It's faster, more powerful, and can do so much more."  That's true--BUT IT'S NOT MY HAMMER.  Are you going to tell me that you're not going to get angry at the guy that took your hammer when you just need to put a small nail in the wall to hang up a picture?  Give us the hammer back and we'll keep the nail gun in the garage for *occasional* use...when we actually need to do some navigation.

The idea that breadcrumbs are a continuation of (or as you said "improvement" of) the up button IS FALLACIOUS AND MUST NOT BE PERPETUATED!:

- when i click the up button, it requires no thought about what folder I'm currently in.  With breadcrumbs that's not true!  I must identify the folder by its name or that it's the second breadcrumb from the end.
    - the up button uses iconology (incl color) for quick recognition.  Breadcrumbs require you to read, think, process.
    - if you have clicked in the address box (path is highlighted and you can't see breadcrumbs), it now takes two clicks to get to the parent folder.  With the up button that extra click would not be necessary.
    - if your Windows Explorer is sized small, it adds an extra click and the need to select the folder from a list!

So STOP IMPLYING (or saying) BREADCRUMBS IS SOMEHOW A CONTINUATION OR EVOLUTIONARY STEP FROM THE UP BUTTON.  It's not much different from saying the folder tree view is just like the up button because you can get to a parent folder by using the tree view.  Breadcrumbs is much closer to the folder tree view than it is to the up button.

(and while you're making changes, MS, please please please add a "new folder" button and a "copy file path" context menu item!!!)
    2010년 2월 10일 수요일 오후 7:31
  • The idea that breadcrumbs are a continuation of (or as you said "improvement" of) the up button IS FALLACIOUS AND MUST NOT BE PERPETUATED!:
    It actually is an improvement. One reason is that the Up button goes up 1 level, while breadcrumbs can go up multiple levels with one click.

and while you're making changes, MS, please please please add a "new folder" button and a "copy file path" context menu item!!!
    Ugh... are you even using Windows? There's a New Folder button right under the Address Bar in Windows Explorer, and it has been there since Vista. Copy File Path is in the menu you get when Shift+Right-clicking a file.

Regards,
    Kristaps.
    2010년 2월 10일 수요일 오후 8:45
  • Please consider the advice of someone who's been using Microsoft software since DOS and who's been sitting in front of Windows 7 for quite a while now: 

It is quite normal and natural to express frustration at change that seems to be arbitrary at first.  But when one actually tweaks Windows 7 a bit to one's preferences and liking, and takes the time to get to know it, it's a fully functional environment.

Push past the frustration and try to get used to the "breadcrumbs" bar, or the navigation pane.  These really do work, and if you put your mind to getting over not having an "up" button, it grows on you and gets to be quite natural after a while.

Then you suddenly find yourself, when you log into an older system, thinking, "geez, this feels antiquated".

:)

-Noel
    2010년 2월 11일 목요일 오전 4:06
  • The issue here is not which way is better or easier, it's about the ability (or lack of) to customize the UI with buttons, toolbars etc. the way one likes. I made my middle mouse button do the directory up button since I used it quite often in XP and found myself looking for it all the time on 7. I know the button's function is still in 7 because I see it now and then in File Browse boxes that use the old XP API's. If MS made the Explorer toolbar as easy to customize, with more options than any one person could possibly need, the way the Office 2007 Ribbon is, this thread would not exist. (Hint-Hint Redmond) Everyone is different, and being able to make things the way you like them is golden. I would rather have a lot to choose from and not use than no choice at all.

Windows 7 (x86) ver. 6.1.7600.16385.x86fre.win7_rtm.090713-1255
    2010년 2월 11일 목요일 오전 4:39
  • I'm not justifying the reduction of options, no way.  If I had it my way, none of the options we knew and loved would be removed.

What I *am* doing is saying that given that Microsoft quite clearly is reducing those options regardless of what you and I and millions of other smart users think, that it's actually not a fate worse than death to try to make do without those features and to learn to use the new ones.

If nothing else it keeps your brain nimble.

-Noel
    2010년 2월 11일 목요일 오전 5:03
  • Kenneth Stevenson wrote:

I must be missing something about how you use your filesystem, in what sense do the breadcrumbs in the address bar of explorer show how you got to a directory rather than the absolute path to your current directory? Are you talking about traversing using Favourites or Libraries rather than drilling down to a specific folder? That's the only situation I've seen where the address bar path doesn't reflect your actual location and I'm sure the discrepancy in the behaviour there is by design.
    Here are just a few examples:
    1: Win+R brings up a "Run" dialog - type in "C:\Users\<username>\Desktop" and enter - you will get an Explorer window with the breadcrumbs having only "Desktop" - there will be no path information in the breadcrumb trail. Not all folders display this behavior - but some do. The breadcrumb is unreliable, while an "Up" button always works (Assuming you are not already at "My Computer").
    2: Click on the Start Orb/Marble/Button, then select your username at the top of the right column - you will get an Explorer window rooted at your username - breadcrumbs will not take you any higher in the directory tree.

In effect, certain folders can become "root" folders from Explorer's perspective - and the breadcrumb won't take you past that root. This can be gotten around by openeing an Explorer window to My Computer, and then browsing your way down to the desired folder - but that is ridiculous to have to do just to make the breadcrumbs show the full and entire path!
    It has also already been noted that an Explorer window opened from Search results are rooted at that folder - again, the problem is simply that the breadcrumb is not consistent, while the "Up" button is.

I agree with what seems to be a majority position - the breadcrumbs are great - very useful in some circumstances - but it should have been "in addition to", not "instead of".
    2010년 2월 12일 금요일 오후 10:35
  • Kenneth Stevenson wrote:

1: Win+R brings up a "Run" dialog - type in "C:\Users\<username>\Desktop" and enter - you will get an Explorer window with the breadcrumbs having only "Desktop" - there will be no path information in the breadcrumb trail. Not all folders display this behavior - but some do.
    Heh, that utterly crashes Explorer on my x64 system.  First thing I've seen do that.  That's a pretty nasty result...  Now I need to determine if something I've tweaked or installed is causing it.  This is a very good reason to select [ ] Launch folder windows in a separate process.

Got to admit, when it crashes it doesn't exhibit the breadcrumbs problem you describe though.  :)  (small attempt at humor)

Interestingly, if you type C:\Users\YourUsername\Desktop into the address bar of an Explorer window and it doesn't fail, and the breadcrumbs show the whole path.

God, I hate magic in Explorer.

-Noel
    2010년 2월 13일 토요일 오전 3:20
  • Okay, so it's the removal of the Favorites root in the Navigation window (per this thread: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itproui/thread/ac419c2b-4a38-44f0-b1f0-b0ed9fdcfdeb) that causes the crash.

While I dislike crashes, I think I can live without being able to run the Desktop folder from the run box.  I don't run folders at all, I open folders to the roots of hard drives and navigate to the subfolders I need.

-Noel
    2010년 2월 13일 토요일 오전 3:31
  • Hurrah!!! The UP BUTTON is back!!!

Anyone missing the directory up button and not satisfied with breadcrumbs and other "wise" suggestions can get it here:
    http://classicshell.sourceforge.net/

works for both Win7 and Vista, completely free. Brings back many classic features to explorer and start menu. I was pleased also to find there classic XP-like "copy-replace file" dialogs instead of that terrible vista/win7-style tools.

be happy
    :-)
    2010년 2월 25일 목요일 오후 6:04
  • Why / When Parent Button is Better :

• Most importantly, you can't open the parent folder in a new window in xp / 7 except hitting a few keys in keyboard. In xp it's: hold ctrl, click on the parent button.
    • Long names can make it hard to work with breadcrumbs.
    • If all you need is to go up a single level, fixed position, fixed size parent button works faster, as your eyes don't need to scan the breadcrumb, and you don't have to click on a variable location each time.
    It's not just about getting used to.
    2010년 3월 14일 일요일 오후 3:21
  • Please consider the advice of someone who's been using Microsoft software since DOS and who's been sitting in front of Windows 7 for quite a while now: 

It is quite normal and natural to express frustration at change that seems to be arbitrary at first.  But when one actually tweaks Windows 7 a bit to one's preferences and liking, and takes the time to get to know it, it's a fully functional environment.

Push past the frustration and try to get used to the "breadcrumbs" bar, or the navigation pane.  These really do work, and if you put your mind to getting over not having an "up" button, it grows on you and gets to be quite natural after a while.

Then you suddenly find yourself, when you log into an older system, thinking, "geez, this feels antiquated".

:)

-Noel

The "directory up" button is always in the same place, while in "breadcrumbs" parent directory's place will be allways at a different location depending on the length of the path. So if you find it convenient to search each time through the "breadcrumbs" for the place you have to click, that's your choise. Obviously much easier (and faster) is to use a fixed "up" button (because you do not have to think or read the headers, you press it quite automatically), and this is not a question of getting used to the new environment.
    2010년 3월 19일 금요일 오전 7:12
  • Give it some time (say a year) and come back to read what you wrote and see if you don't agree with me.

But no matter...  Install ClassicShell and as you say be happy.  Just for fun I installed it and I have yet to use the Up button.

-Noel

2010년 3월 19일 금요일 오전 11:52
  • ...  Install ClassicShell and as you say be happy.  Just for fun I installed it and I have yet to use the Up button.

-Noel

I forgot it had one.  But I do like the way it fixes the folder pane, and of course the Start Menu.
    2010년 3월 20일 토요일 오전 2:49
  • It's been a long while since I've been using Windows 7 and I am still finding that I am saying "Aw, Shucks, I can't do that anymore! What was it about breadcrumbs again?" To me, Windows 7 file management now has too much the look and feel of something borrowed from the x-windows camp for those of you who use linux/unix with a measure of a web browser thrown into the mix. It might be good for those who eat and breathe the internet in their daily activities. To me and by what others are saying in this forum is all we want is an effective way to manage files without having to constantly think one's way through it.

2010년 3월 21일 일요일 오후 3:17
  • I frequently copy the directory tree when I'm working so I'd rather have a full (and real) address in the address bar and have an up button.

This is the way I set up my openSUSE running Gnome.  It also comes default with a breadcrumb type idea, but it lets you disable it.

2010년 3월 28일 일요일 오후 2:10
  • 1) Click on the bar itself to get the full address

2) Right-click anywhere on the bar to get a menu that lets you copy the address.

Sheesh, have you even used it?

Regards,
    Kristaps.
    2010년 3월 28일 일요일 오후 2:15
  • That does work, but if  I'm working in a command prompt or in a vm or such, I would sometimes rather just be able to see the actual path without having to click on the path to so it.  For example in a VM if I click on the VM, I loose focus on the Explorer and the breadcrumbs are back.

I guess I've been playing in Linux too long and have gotten used to choices...

2010년 3월 29일 월요일 오후 8:08
  • There is a freeware tool called ShellFolderFix that will put the title back on the Explorer window (the title being the path of the current folder).  It does a few other nice things as well.

-Noel

2010년 3월 29일 월요일 오후 11:24
  • Lacking the Up Directory icon is a huge mistake as far as user interface design on Microsoft's part.

Sure bread crumbs work, but they are not as good as Up Directory.  The reason is VERY subtle, I will do my best to explain it...

People who are good with file systems think of them in terms of directory levels, so when I think about where I want to go, usually its up one or 2 or 3 levels, then back down a few levels, with the up directory button, or in a shell/command prompt this is very straight forward and requires no thought.  The up directory button mimics cd ..  which is very simple behavior.

It's not that bread crumbs is complicated at all, but it does cause a shift in your brain to use it, you no longer can think the simple thought of "go up", you have to think, where am I going up to?  Because you have to click the directory name you want to go, which often times you don't care about.

I don't care if I can go up 3 directors with one click using bread crumbs, it still takes me longer to go up 3 dirs with bread crumbs, how long does it take you to click a button that you know exactly where it is on the interface 3 times?  It takes barely any longer to click it 3 times than it does to click it once!  But with bread crumbs you need to find where you want to go, which ALWAYS takes longer than finding the up directory button, because the up directory button is always in the same spot!

With bread crumbs I need stop and think about where I'm going, its subtle but it takes my brain away from doing the task at hand, and I sometimes if I'm doing something complicated I need all the brain power I can get, and sometimes even more!

So really bread crumbs are bad on 2 levels, it takes longer to get to where you are going AND it takes unnecessary brain power (sure the brain power is marginal, but when you are doing something like programming a very large and complicated system the less brain power spent on other things the better).

2010년 4월 23일 금요일 오후 4:00
  • Trevor, you're absolutely right on this, ESPECIALLY about taking the mind away from the task at hand.

By the way, there is a freeware tool called ClassicShell that provides a Directory Up button among several other very nice things.  It's got the capability of enhancing just Explorer without changing the start menu, simply by installing only the ClassicExplorer piece during setup.

While I would have preferred Microsoft maintain these useful features in Explorer, a freeware add-on that really works is the next best thing. :)

-Noel

2010년 4월 23일 금요일 오후 5:03
  • I just don't get it. Why the ____ was it removed.

The new way of clicking the folder names in the address bar and using the back button is misleading and cumbersome at best. Furthermore, each time I get to work on XP, it just feels right and refreshing. This is not supposed to be happening.

Microsoft, fix this. Few more leaps like this and Linux pave the way.

2010년 5월 8일 토요일 오전 10:51
  • I see that someone changed this thread from a question to a comment.  I suppose it might have had something to do with my proposals of posts such as glkoz3's, suggesting that Microsoft needs to fix this, as answers.

But that is indeed the answer.  This is a BUG and Microsoft needs to fix it.

2010년 5월 8일 토요일 오후 7:13
  • This is NO bug, so NOTHING needs to be fixed. The broadcamb navigation is much faster compared to this ugly up button. If you need it, install ClassicShell!

"A programmer is just a tool which converts caffeine into code" CLIP- Stellvertreter http://www.winvistaside.de/
    2010년 5월 10일 월요일 오후 3:31
  • I think the time for fixing bugs has long past. Stuff like this should have been fixed way back when Windows 7 was still in Beta. Unfortunately, back then, Microsoft seems to have ignored a lot of the bug problems and decided to go straight into the Release Candidate Phase. The problem with Release Candidate is it should have been done as an additional Beta Release as a bunch of new features added in at this time which introduced many more new bugs of it's own that had no chance at being fixed before the RTM stage. To me, it looks like Microsoft was in too much of a hurry to fix the Windows Vista problem while trying to put enough into Windows 7 to make it look like a completely new operating system that people needed to have. To me, it makes me wonder what ever happened to having a stable operating platform first before the features are put in. In this, I'm finding that Microsoft seems to have adopted the Linux Camp philosophy of we will fix it in the next release which is only a few months away anyway. The problem with this is Microsoft does not work that fast and they seem to be forgetting that fact. From what I have been reading from some of the other forums, new features may be nice, but in the end, most people want to be able to turn on their computers fully expecting to be able to be productive with the programs and features they have become accustomed to without having to re-learn everything.

2010년 5월 10일 월요일 오후 3:38
  • This is NO bug, so NOTHING needs to be fixed. The broadcamb navigation is much faster compared to this ugly up button. If you need it, install ClassicShell!

"A programmer is just a tool which converts caffeine into code" CLIP- Stellvertreter http://www.winvistaside.de/

See, that's what I was talking about... "But it has this cool feature, so we dumped everything else."

Except that I actually used "everything else" and didn't need "this cool feature".

2010년 5월 11일 화요일 오후 5:17
  • Quite clearly Microsoft has been on a mission to simplify the user interface.  Even their stupid commercials where a parade of ditzy people claim Windows 7 was their idea utterly shout this out...  "I had an idea, right here in a taxi.  Windows 7 should be simpler."  Interestingly, I found thoughts of strangulation instantly blotted out all interest in the Windows UI for a significant period of time.

Trouble is, Microsoft's thinking in how to simplify Windows is FUNDAMENTALLY FLAWED.

The Windows 7 UI doesn't need to be simpler through the removal of features!  It needs to be simpler through making EVERYTHING WORK CONSISTENTLY AND RELIABLY.  That would turn the complexity of feature-richness into REAL POWER, not difficulty to use.  And don't try to say that the complexity is what makes it unreliable.  Take the time to do it right and it can work.  Plenty of 3rd party applications work utterly reliably.

Copy a file into a .zip file and Explorer doesn't auto refresh.  Sometimes it doesn't auto refresh when you copy a file into (or delete one from) a plain old folder or the desktop.  Make JUST THAT work right each time - every time - to where you could risk your life knowing it would work, THEN you will have made Windows simpler to use by a larger margin than the removal of the "up" button.

Oh, and please take the money you're spending on those gawdawful commercials and put it toward paying a replacement shell engineering staff.

-Noel

2010년 5월 12일 수요일 오전 2:00
  • I think I got an idea of the marketing strategy they should've followed long time ago: simplify the Home edition. Don't fracken touch a pixel or bit of Professional. Do what you wish with Ultimate. The current ditions do not make sense whatsoever - It gets changed too often for professionals; It is too complex for home; It is too boring for enthusiasts. And the difference between editions is either a) ridiculuously miniscule or b) they simply deleted a few DLLs. The price tag difference is also insane.

For me, I have long lost track of what and why anything is included or changed in any edition. Moreover, why is this great edition I always used not suited for me due to the changes. The edition name is same, so I expect it to build on that, not on a completely different toolset.

____ marketing.

• 편집됨 Edgars Batnya 2010년 6월 2일 수요일 오후 10:34 spell check
    2010년 5월 12일 수요일 오후 5:36
  • The problem with this breadcrumb navigation is I cannot just ctrl click on a folder in that breadcrumb list to open a new window in one of the folders near the folder where I am now.   With the up-folder button I could CTRL+click it and go up a level and navigate to my other folder and voila, now I have two windows open.   The bread crumb list was a good idea but whoever thought of it was obviously not a very experienced windows user.  Give us back the up button, or at the very least give us ctrl+click on a fodler in the breadcrumb list.  No wonder Apple has bigger market cap than MS now, they actually think through their user interface.

2010년 6월 2일 수요일 오후 3:07
  • I don't think any of the team that worked on this interface were experienced Windows users.

I can't think of any other explanation.

2010년 6월 3일 목요일 오전 12:37
  • For another 10 mins daily on these forums, I can give a clear example of the situation I run into each ____ing day. I assume that, in general, people will agree:

1.  I need to get to My Received Files (MSN) folder.

2. I open the Documents via Start->Documents.

3. Right, I need to get one folder up... Right, no way of doing it. (Just this useless Libraries>Documents bread-useless-piece-of-you-know-what to save the day. What a fail.)

And, no. This is not the only thing that I do, but it sums it up well. I scratch the head.

At work, I had to fix up some Roaming data for a co-worker. Like an idiot, I spent most of the time trying to guess how I can use the UI to get at the exact place the fastest. Such a fail I haven't seen since the command line... I ended up just going there from C:\. I've never seen issues to be so annoying to fix.

One definitive conclusion: usual users are computer illiterate. Twist that as you wish, but there's no way they'll recall the exact thing they need to do to fix anything up... And they will also ____ it up, no matter the complexity of Microsoft's UI obfuscation techniques. In the end, a tech guy does all the low levels for them. In the end, the tech support just gets lost... as if we're moving from files to an abstract AI logical link hierarchy structure with direct-to-brain interfaces, without the interfaces. A weird comparison, yes, but anyway. I spent extra 2-6 hours just educating the users about the damn changes! How's that optimal? Given that we paid huge amount of $$$ to get rid just of the unstable part of XP. I would've just kept the UI, if I could.

Microsoft, just give us the usual path structure... just give us to use the computer. Just don't try to guess what's better for us.

2010년 6월 3일 목요일 오후 5:55
  • I agree that Libraries are annoying and useless, especially if you keep all your files and folders in one place, organized, which is what Windows has taught you for the last 15 years. The only scenario that justifies libraries is if you keep your junk scattered around several drives (networked or local).
    Regards,
    Kristaps.
    2010년 6월 3일 목요일 오후 6:54
  • Yes, most importantly... As it's what ALL OS have taught us. If there's such a specialized use of scattering things all over the place, they should've implemented it in a separate tool.
    2010년 6월 3일 목요일 오후 7:12
  • I think the reasoning goes something like this:  Users and the applications they install, are going to put their files all over the place anyway.  Lets try to make Windows support this by giving them Libraries as virtual containers for their files, and a better, indexed search capability that will allow them to quickly retreive the files that aren't in Libraries.

Unfortunately, neither feature works very well.  And both have a steep learning curve.

2010년 6월 3일 목요일 오후 9:12
  • Nuh-uh. If apps create their own folders for storing projects, documents etc., they are usually in the User/My Documents folder. And all the other stuff -- Pictures, Music, Videos, the said Documents -- should never be moved around by software.
    Regards,
    Kristaps.
    2010년 6월 3일 목요일 오후 9:19
  • I'm saying that there's no point in building core features around this new functionality. If I want to open My Documents, it should be that damn folder no matter what.

And they should not waste resources to support bad reasoning... they should promote good reasoning, i.e. not put all files all over the place. This topic is just endless, but we probably can't help much, as the idiot managers are already there and decided how to ruin good things next.

2010년 6월 3일 목요일 오후 9:36
  • This.

The whole issue is that i don't want to be taken to some library or search result... I just want to go to the actual parent folder.

Some people actually organise their files in folders in stead of using libraries and searches. 1000 internets for the first MS employee who understands that.

2010년 7월 2일 금요일 오후 1:06
  • Does this up button actually take you to the parent folder in stead of some library or some search result?
    2010년 7월 2일 금요일 오후 1:58
  • Doh, that's the whole reason for having an "up button"...

EDIT: This ALT+UP shortcut... what idiot replaces such a small and handy button with this abomination of million finger ten hands combinations?

2010년 7월 2일 금요일 오후 3:12
  • There is a freeware tool called ShellFolderFix that will put the title back on the Explorer window (the title being the path of the current folder).  It does a few other nice things as well.

-Noel

Classic shell you mentioned will do this quite nicely, just disable bread crumbs for full path in the address bar.
    2010년 7월 2일 금요일 오후 11:47
  • Removing the up button must be a real blow for those who are disabled and can't make use of keyboard shortcuts. Thoughtless of M$.
    2010년 7월 3일 토요일 오전 12:05
  • How has this got anything to do with the disabled folks? Clicking a breadcrumb is just about as easy/hard as clicking a Back or an Up button. The Alt+Up shortcut remains unchanged.
    Regards,
    Kristaps.
    2010년 7월 4일 일요일 오후 4:19
  • Well, for any one really it seems easier to go up one level since the up button is larger and easier to click on then the smaller bread "crumbs" which shift around more as you go up. It is true the alt + up shortcut is there but it is not always as accessible.
    2010년 7월 5일 월요일 오전 5:40
  • Interesting thread. Since some people like the breadcrums navigation and others can install some tweaks to get the up button back, that leaves only the keyboard operation to be improved: it's true that alt + up is not the ideal combination because it requires two fingers (or even two hands on my swiss-french keyboard which has the alt on the left side only). However I agree that the old Back key is more suited to go "back" than to go "up" from a purely logical standpoint.

If we carry that logical thinking further, what would really make sense is a key on keyboards to execute "one level up" function in hierarchical structures. ... But really, would anyone even get used to this new key and would manufacturers be willing to revamp keyboard layouts. NOT.

Can anyone say for example why the ____ we still have keys labeled F1 to F12. These keys are useful for sure but their labels certainly don't relate to anything they serve. Do you know for example what F7 does in Exploreror why F1 is not labeled "Help"? I sure don't.

This just shows how things get inherited from the past that don't make sense any more, but carry on for ages just because we are used to them.

kikou02

2010년 8월 10일 화요일 오전 11:01
  • Can anyone say for example why the ____ we still have keys labeled F1 to F12. These keys are useful for sure but their labels certainly don't relate to anything they serve. Do you know for example what F7 does in Exploreror why F1 is not labeled "Help"? I sure don't.

Well duh, F keys have different functions in different applications: F1 is not always Help, F2 is not always rename, F5 is not always refresh, F6 is not always focus-on-address-bar, F12 is not always "wtf is this key and why would someone ever use it." :)

Also, Logitech, for example, labels F keys on some of their keyboards.

Yeah!
    2010년 8월 10일 화요일 오전 11:13
  • This has got to be the Ultimate low. Why can't Microsoft realize what they are doing to innocent people who have done nothing wrong in their lives except for having to buy new hardware. All they will get for it is more memory and CPU usage. What they will not get is better performance. What they will not get is something as simple as a directory up button. What they will not get is the ability to organize icons in folders other than the desktop.
    2010년 8월 10일 화요일 오전 11:55
  • On Tue, 10 Aug 2010 11:01:13 +0000, kikou02 wrote:

Can anyone say for example why the __ we still have keys labeled F1 to F12. These keys are useful for sure but their labels certainly don't relate to anything they serve. Do you know for example what F7 does in Exploreror why F1 is not labeled "Help"? I sure don't.

Bear in mind that what any one of those F keys does is different in
    different applications. So if they had labels rather than F-numbers,
    they would be right some of the time, and wrong some of the time.

Ken Blake
    2010년 8월 10일 화요일 오후 2:36
  • 2010년 8월 10일 화요일 오후 3:35
  • I would but we got that already, go up a few posts.

2010년 8월 10일 화요일 오후 4:13
  • Why breadcrumb bar is not a substitute 1) Ctrl-click on the breadcrumb bard to try to open the parent folder in a new window. Can't do with with breadcrumb bar. 2) Go Start->Documents. Now try to go up one folder. Can't do with with breadcrumb bar. 3) Go Start->Username. Now try to go up one folder to C:\Users. Can't do with with breadcrumb bar. The only way to open the parent folder in a new window is to move both hands to the keyboard (if they are not already there) and type CTRL+N ALT+UP. It was better when you could hold Ctrl with one hand and click the up button with the other. I think there's enough indication here that Microsoft should make the breadcrumb bar accept CTRL-clicking and to add an option so that users folders do not masquerade as "root" folders. Thank you, goodnight.
    2010년 8월 14일 토요일 오후 7:10
  • 2) Go Start->Documents. Now try to go up one folder. Can't do with with breadcrumb bar.

Breadcrumbs don't really have anything to do with this -- it's the way libraries work. They're virtual folders without a parent.

Now try to go up one folder to C:\Users

Just wondering -- why would you ever want to do that? :P

add an option so that users folders do not masquerade as "root" folders 

Not going to happen, ever (or at least in Win7). Just sayin'.

Yeah!
    2010년 8월 15일 일요일 오후 5:05
  • Like a spokesperson to what?

Is going to happen, if it wants power user's money.

There's an another bread-POS bug that prevents me from entering any address using JUST the keyboard. In case of a mouse battery death or something. I run into ths too friggen often. (And, yes, it fails sporadically. You won't find the bug trying it just now.)

The logic is very simple: computer work is too complicated. One tiny change for MS. One ducking huge bullet hole in someone's head.

2010년 8월 15일 일요일 오후 5:15
  • Classic explorer and Alt-Up are not proper replacements. 

They both do not take you to the parent folder when you arrived in a folder through a search or a library. So, this is a very real problem. Please, PLEASE, stop repeating that the problem is fixed.

2010년 11월 12일 금요일 오후 6:13
  • Classic explorer and Alt-Up are not proper replacements. 

They both do not take you to the parent folder when you arrived in a folder through a search or a library. So, this is a very real problem. Please, PLEASE, stop repeating that the problem is fixed.

Hi

The Alt+ Up Arrow is the proper solution for a default Windows Explorer window.

A Search Folder or Library Folder are Virtual Folders and completely different components in Windows 7.

Regards,

Ronnie Vernon MVP – Windows Desktop Experience
    2010년 11월 13일 토요일 오전 7:24
    중재자
  • What is interesting, and no one has mentioned is that the Up One Folder button is available in one place.

Let's say you want to upload one file to mediafire or imageshack.  When you click on the "upload" link, the mini Explorer window pop up comes up (for you to choose a file (s) to upload.  On said pop up window, the old toolbar does show up, "Up One Folder" button included!

So I would imagine it's possible to re-create that button.  Also, during my searches for a fix, I found that there's a hack to add a "Delete" button to the Windows 7 Explorer "toolbar".

2010년 11월 29일 월요일 오후 3:00
  • Why use two hands when all you need is one? While I go up one folder (up button) I can talk on the telephone or whatever. Why should I fiddle and tinker with small "bread crumbs" when my intent is to get to the parent folder? Alt up works but the same mouse pointer is also availible or should be so lets stop making excuses and rationalizing the fact that the entire toolbar is nonexistent?
    2010년 11월 29일 월요일 오후 8:30
  • Losing the "Up" button is definitely one of the most annoying downgrades in Windows 7.
    2010년 12월 6일 월요일 오후 6:18
  • Totttally dude.
    2010년 12월 6일 월요일 오후 6:29
  • Losing the "Up" button is definitely one of the most annoying downgrades in Windows 7.

Install ClassicShell and you're fine. I never missed the button in Vista and don't miss it in Windows 7, too ;)

2010년 12월 6일 월요일 오후 8:21
  • I like the quick steps to 2+ more back as well... However, there is no way to Open those in New Window.

With the Up button you could uses Ctrl + click Up to opne the parent in a new and window, and then naigate further if you wanted to.
    I personnaly used this a lot to copy or move file to subfolders of the parent... The approach for this now is... well more cumbersome. 

2010년 12월 6일 월요일 오후 10:29
  • While agree functionality has been added… the usefulness of "Up" is not just a familiarity thing.

You can not now open a parent directory in a ‘New Window’ unless you have the navigation pane showing. The problem with that is (a) the navigation pane consumes desktop real estate, (b) is now more cluttered than is was (thereby has become less navigable) and (c) basically is only useful if you are unfamiliar with the folder structure being explored (which is not true for most people, most of the time).

The Up button allowed one to open the parent in a new window with Ctrl-click and then navigate to wherever very quickly.

The best of both worlds would be to add Ctrl-click in the address bar to ‘Open in New Window’ or (at the very least) a right-click in the address bar that offers the same options as are available in the navigation pane.
    2010년 12월 6일 월요일 오후 10:47
  • I read through the document. However, while the author appears confident that all bases are covered, there remains an oversight…

You can not now open a parent directory in a ‘New Window’ unless you have the navigation pane showing. While [sic] “And the keyboard shortcut is also available”… there is no shortcut I can find for the previous Ctrl-Up (i.e. open parent in new window)

The only way to do this now is to have the Navigation Pane open. The problem with that is (a) the navigation pane consumes desktop real estate, (b) is now more cluttered than is was (thereby has become less navigable) and [hence] (c) is only useful if you are unfamiliar with the folder structure being explored (which is not true for most people, most of the time).

The Up button allowed one to open the parent in a new window with Ctrl-click and then one could navigate to wherever very quickly. This very useful if you don’t want to loose the view of where you started.

The best of both worlds would be to add Ctrl-click in the address bar to ‘Open in New Window’ or (at the very least) a right-click in the address bar that offers the same options as are available in the navigation pane.

2010년 12월 6일 월요일 오후 10:58
  • Its not better, its different.  What angers me the most is this:

- When you search for a folder, and then want to navigate to the parent folder - you are simply screwed..  the breadcrumb only shows going back to your search results..

WTF MICROSOFT???? How could you have cut such a basic and fundamental function out of Windows?

2010년 12월 24일 금요일 오후 6:26
  • Doesn't alway work as expected. Kind of like MS technology
    2011년 1월 25일 화요일 오후 6:00
  • I've been on Windows 7 for about a month now. The lack of an up button has been driving me nuts and I hadn't seen the new functionality of the breadcrumbs. My take is breadcrumbs is a nice new functionality and I'll start to use and I'm sure I'll like it's advanced features.......but still give me my up button. It's much faster than any other method.

Alt-up works well to, but then I have to move my hand off the mouse for a two handed double key combination (yes I know I could probably do that with one hand with lots of practice) 

2011년 2월 8일 화요일 오후 7:32
  • Going 5 folders up with the button takes 5 click, with breadcrumb 1 ;) Which is faster? If you want this stupid up button install ClassicShell, enable the up button and disable breadcrumb in the ClassicShell options.
    2011년 2월 8일 화요일 오후 9:17
  • Not just the up button gone but the entire customizable toolbar as well.
    2011년 2월 8일 화요일 오후 10:28
  • Although still not as easy to do as using backspace, the "click on the folder name in the address bar" method would be better than nothing, if it worked properly in dialogue boxes for things like Open, Save As, etc. It only seems to go back so far, and then it stops offering you back options. Sometimes it works, others it doesn't, and it's frustrating.

PS. Alt+Up is a PITA to type. I hate when people change standards.

2011년 2월 22일 화요일 오후 11:00
  • That also doesn't give me back my backspace shortcut. Alt+Up is not a replacement.
    2011년 2월 22일 화요일 오후 11:15
  • This post is over 2 years old, but I couldn't agree more... what was MS thinking?  MS IS NUTZ to think that everyone likes the same thing or that they could like the same thing.  Hell if my PC hadn't of died I would still be using XP rather than this Win7 garbage (dont reply telling me about xp-mode either that'll just open yet another barrel of monkeys)...

2011년 3월 16일 수요일 오전 2:58
  • This post is over 2 years old, but I couldn't agree more... what was MS thinking?  MS IS NUTZ to think that everyone likes the same thing or that they could like the same thing.  Hell if my PC hadn't of died I would still be using XP rather than this Win7 garbage (dont reply telling me about xp-mode either that'll just open yet another barrel of monkeys)...

I couldn't agree more with you. Windows 7 Open-File Dialog, libraries, lack of quicklaunch bar and up button Shucks...

I'm still in windows xp because of that. I wish to find a hack to activate all the above and disable the "TopShell".

2011년 3월 22일 화요일 오후 8:14
  • again, calm down and install ClassicShell if you want that old school navigation. For me the new one is faster and better.
    "A programmer is just a tool which converts caffeine into code"

Want to install RSAT on Windows 7 Sp1? Check my HowTo: http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=150221
    2011년 3월 22일 화요일 오후 8:33
  • It seems that people think that the up one level button is the same as the back button but its not and they serve different functions.

Sometimes i just want to go up a directory but that doesn't mean it was the last directory I was at.

Some people mentioned alt+up and using the buttons on the path bar.  Well that doesn't work when you search for a file.  

Try it right now.  Search for a file on your computer click on a directory and try pushing alt+up it doesn't work...

Why can't they make it an option instead of taking something like that completely away?!?!?!!

It doesn't even make sense to take it away without something that will perform the same function 100% which the new way doesn't do.  

At least make it so that when you go to a directory after a search that you see the path in the bar...

2011년 4월 29일 금요일 오전 10:26
  •    If Microsoft were run by people secretly trying to ruin it these last 10 years, how would they have behaved?

Imagine they’re in the pay of Apple or the Chinese Communists (Foxconn; no difference :) ) ; but they cant just outright kill the firm; what to do?

Abandon the most popular (and productive) programming language in the world, VB6, for a frustrating monstrosity, VB.NET, and tell the world its object oriented progress; after all OO is the fad of the moment. Ignore tens of thousands of users pleading with you not to do it. When its clear years later VB.NET is a failure don’t bother to re-support VB6.

Ship a bloated, slow, buggy, operating system with a bit of flash; pretend you’re trying to compete with the Macintosh GUI.  When it fails release it again with a new name. No one can work productively with them; users look to Apple and Linux; you’re succeeding.

Take the most well known office software in the world and rip out its menus, replacing them with cartoons. Don’t give users a choice to turn on the menus they know by heart. Produce a “help” system for your software that reads like white papers, never answering functional needs. Leave that up to forums and 3<sup>rd</sup> party help sites.

Build a phone OS that’s buggy and needs to be rebooted constantly. After you’ve lost too much market share to compete, waste money by doing it again.

Instead of making your core products better, waste more money and prestige by competing in markets you can’t succeed in. Put out a music player to compete with Apple’s.  Put out a web oriented animation system to compete with Flash. Put out a web design tool to compete with Dreamweaver. Of course they all fail; good job.

Ruin the productivity of Access with bad changes to a design / menu system in place for years. Buy out its only competitor and then cease supporting it.

Pretend you’re competing on the web. Ship the most mediocre browsers you can. Make your web portal look like a cheap Sunday ad circular. With great fanfare and expense launch a search engine, but make sure it has very limited page returns.

Buy last years hot VoIP firm at many times its market value.

For 10 years I shook my head, trying to understand; stupidity? Incompetence? Hubris?   All of them together?

I then came onto Windows 7 (Version 6.1.7600; how odd) explorer and I wanted to move up one directory; of course the interface had been altered so the functions were hidden and all the brand recognition other firms die for was missing; it was typically frustrating but I hunted around for it.  Like the turn signal on a foreign car, it was there somewhere. Somewhere.  No, it wasn’t.

This astonishing absence led me to this realization; MS is not being run by fools; it’s being run by people who are trying, and succeeding, at something. 

2011년 5월 16일 월요일 오후 10:21
  • I just registered on this site for the sole purpose of replying to this almost-three-year-old post.  I use a WinXP Pro box at work daily and have Win7 Pro at home and I find the WinXP box far more efficient and useful at managing files and working with complex directories.  I am a keyboard guy and I think it is insane that I am supposed to look at the screen, move a mouse and click on a "bread crumb trail" instead of hitting Backspace two or three times to get where I want to go.

Also, I want to see the actual path names in my address bar!  (Without being forced to run a god-awful ugly "classic" theme.)  Just because someone's grandma can't make sense out of C:\Users\ doesn't mean that I don't understand it!

And don't get me started on the ridiculous waste of code that is Aero Peek.  When I Alt-tab I want to see the other available windows WITHOUT having each of them suddenly become the active window.  Lunacy!

I find that the Windows 7 user inteface was designed for morons and novices.  WinXP had reached a point (after a few service packs) where it was fast, stable and full of no-nonsense shortcuts for people who knew what they were doing.  Windows 7 is a giant step backwards in functionality, and it is absolutely clear (as has been pointed out above) that its interface was not designed by or for long-time Windows users (and I've been using it almost daily since Windows 3.1.)

• 편집됨 Samizdat2003 2011년 11월 21일 월요일 오전 1:27
    2011년 11월 21일 월요일 오전 1:23
  • I think they want you to start using the "click on the folder name in the address bar" method, which I love.
    The "Up" botton seems less useful, since it requires three clicks to move up three folders, whereas a single click works with the "address bar" method.
    That said, I would love to see the Up Button (or Address bar selector) added to Internet Explorer.

Yeah "THEY WANT" - its totally stupid, instead of having a big button easy for me to see, I have to click on a tiny bit of text which is hard to hit. Totally lame design from micro$oft - why is that not surprising!
    2011년 11월 26일 토요일 오전 3:55
  • 1) the up button has been replaced by breadcrumbs, which allow for multiple ups with just one click, and also doesn't require an extra button, thus it's better
    I don't know what the hell "breadcrumbs" is, but there is nothing better about that mess!
    2011년 11월 26일 토요일 오전 4:07
  • I use a WinXP Pro box at work daily and have Win7 Pro at home and I find the WinXP box far more efficient and useful at managing files and working with complex directories.

Microsoft doesn't seem really to care any longer whether you can manage files or complex directories.  What they apparently want is to sell simple, stupid apps to billions of non-technical users.  That's both easier and more profitable.

-Noel

• 편집됨 Noel Carboni 2011년 11월 27일 일요일 오후 10:40
    2011년 11월 27일 일요일 오후 8:42
  • Yes, there is a way to get the up button back. First you have to download an open source utility called Classic shell. Just type that into your browser and go to sourceforge to download it. Once it is installed you have to go through a ten step setup, which can be found online at the freeware genius site.

I hope this helps. There seems to be a thriving cottage industry in utilities, hacks etc. to get back the XP functionality and look. I guess Microsoft's better idea isn't well received by users. The whole bread crumb idea is cumbersome, hard to use and difficult to follow for most of the people I talk to these days.

Hey, maybe they will finally get the idea that most users just want things to work faster, be more secure etc. .... rather than more flashy... na, ... probably not.

2012년 1월 14일 토요일 오전 9:45
  • I've managed to download a hack to add the parent directory button to Explorer, but does anyone know of one for the open/save dialogs?

The lack of a parent directory button is a step backwards. The breadcrumbs trail is not an improvement in terms of usability when you only want to go up one level. I'd like to be able to use both.

2012년 1월 30일 월요일 오후 4:13
  • Have you had any response from Microsoft on this issue? It appears to be a hot topic. I'm still wounded from this, and the force of Ribbon controls to fix a problem that wasn't broken
    2012년 2월 14일 화요일 오후 5:48
  • Yes yes! it absolutely sux that there is no up-the-directory-tree button! Users would be better off going back to DOS and typing cd.. !

And what is it with the folder tree being replanced by inane crap like "music". Bloody hell! JUST LET US NAVIGATE OUR FOLDERS!!! we're not asking for much!

It's exciting because the error message is different this time!

2012년 3월 3일 토요일 오후 2:05
  • Jaw, there are workarounds...

You can, for example, get an "Up" button by installing the 3rd party ClassicShell package, ClassicExplorer component.  You can configure just what you want.

You can also set your system via registry tweaks to consider every folder a "General Items" folder and keep it that way.

-Noel

Detailed how-to in my eBook: Configure The Windows 7 "To Work" Options

2012년 3월 3일 토요일 오후 2:55
  • I really, really miss it. I'm working on a research project with literally hundreds of folders and subfolders. I often search for a term, find a file, and want to access the file's parent directory. Until today, when someone mentioned the Alt+Up, there was no way to do this easily. I love 7, but there are a couple of bone-headded things in it that I cannot figure out why they were either added or omitted.
    2012년 4월 5일 목요일 오후 11:26
  • I also badly miss the up button.
    I once had a (free) hack for the up button only without installed the total Classic shell or paying for it and can't find it anymore....

As for the search result:
    Right click on the file and you get the menue option "Open path".
    Right click on a folder an you get an option "Open in new window"

This partially solves the issue (not sure if I remembered/ translated correctly, I am sitting at the moment in front of the German OS version)

But the up button seems to be back in Win 8.
    If they just wouldn't have messed with so many other good things in Win8....

2012년 6월 18일 월요일 오전 11:50
  • Who is asking you to pay for the free ClassicShell package?

You can install just the Classic Explorer component of the package if you want, to just get the up button back.

-Noel

Detailed how-to in my eBooks:  

Configure The Windows 7 "To Work" Options
    Configure The Windows 8 "To Work" Options

2012년 6월 18일 월요일 오후 7:43
  • So, here it is 3 1/2 years after this was first posted. I have read through ALL these posts, I promise. I apologize if I missed it but is it still true that there is no built-in way after a opening an folder FROM A SEARCH RESULT to move up to the PARENT folder? I can't see it. I see the tip at http://www.addictivetips.com/windows-tips/add-up-one-level-or-click-to-return-button-in-windows-7-explorer/ that will add the up button. I am about to do this but I just can't believe there isn't a built-in way.

• 편집됨 KennyTr 2012년 9월 28일 금요일 오후 6:15
    2012년 9월 28일 금요일 오후 6:15
  • You missed it.  The answer is in the post immediately above:  Install ClassicShell - just the ClassicExplorer piece if you like the way everything else works.

Are you allergic to free open-source software that's actually implemented better than Windows itself?

-Noel

Detailed how-to in my eBooks:  

Configure The Windows 7 "To Work" Options
    Configure The Windows 8 "To Work" Options

• 편집됨 Noel Carboni 2012년 9월 29일 토요일 오후 6:09
    2012년 9월 29일 토요일 오후 6:08
  • Some might not be allowed to install things (like I on the corporate machine) some simply don't want to (maybe for a once in a month requirement).

While I had Classic shell on my private machine, I had the feeling that things seems to crash more frequently, but it might only have been because I also had other "Win 7 accelerators" installed, I don't know.

Going to KennyTr's question:

There might be "sort of a way" (Unfortunately it still involves Breadcrumbs...)
    In the search results, to get to the folders (if the search results in folders) you have actually 3 options to get to this folder: (on a file result you still have the 1st and the 3rd option (plus another))
    Now I have a bit of a problem because I am on a German WIN 7 machine, but let me try the following translations,  I hope they are OK:

- Open (default action on double click)
    - Open in new Window
    - Open path

Now:
    If you use the option "open path" (this option is just above the bottom only!) the explorer will open the path starting from "My Computer" rather than the Search result. Therefore allowing you to see the proper breadcrumbs to get easily enough to the folders one (or more) levels up by clicking the appropriate Breadcrumbs (Yes, I dislike them as well...But MS had seen its mistake and is including the up button again on WIN 8 !!!(At least on the builds I have seen)).

Tip:
    If you hold the shift key while clicking on the 3rd option ("Open path") it actually will open the folder in a separate window! :-)
    (Not destroying your search result (which can be really painful when searching on a non-indexed network share or external (slow) Hard drive....)

2012년 10월 1일 월요일 오후 5:02