none
Icon Problem in Windows 7

질문

• Hi, all of a sudden and for no reason various icons have stopped loading for both the programs and files used by these programs: 

Microsoft Office Word, PowerPoint, OneNote, and Excel
    Windows Live Messanger

The programs still work fine but I would like to have the icons back.
    This seems to be a problem that many people are having but I can find no definite solution. 

Any ideas?
    2009년 11월 12일 목요일 오전 1:00

답변

• Hi,

It seems that the file association has been corrupted, I would like to suggest you perform the following steps to reset it.

Change the file association

================

1. Click the Start Button and click Default Programs.

2. Click "Associate a file type or protocol with program."

3. Click the XXX file extension and verify whether it is correctly set to open with the program which you want to use.

4. If the configuration is not set correctly, please highlight this XXX file extension and click the Change program button.

5. Check whether the program is listed in the Recommended Program or Other Programs. If so, please choose the program and click OK.

6. If not, please click the Browse button to locate the correct program.

7. Click OK.

What’s the result?

If the issue persists, would you please upload the following information to SkyDrive and provide us the link for analyzing? You may check how to use SkyDrive for more information.

Screenshot of the symptom

========================

1. Press the Print Screen key (PrtScn) on your keyboard.

2. Click the "Start" menu, type "mspaint" in the Search Bar and Press Enter.

3. In the Paint program, click the "Edit" menu, click "Paste", click the "File" menu, and click "Save".

4. The "Save As" dialogue box will appear. Type a file name in the "File name:" box, for example: "screenshot".

5. Make sure "JPEG (*.JPG;*.JPEG;*.JPE;*.JFIF)" is selected in the "Save as type" box, click “Desktop” on the left pane and then click "Save".

Please send this saved JPEG file to us.

2009년 11월 13일 금요일 오전 9:53
    중재자

모든 응답

• Hi,

I would like to suggest you run a System Restore to check the issue.

If it does not work, you may manually correct the shortcut targets by right clicking on the shortcut, Properties and correct the Target for the shortcuts one by one. You need to change the Target to the application path.

You may also find out the application in Program Files folder and click Sent to, Desktop (create shortcut).

Good luck!

Arthur Li - MSFT
    2009년 11월 12일 목요일 오전 8:21
    중재자
  • Encyclopedia Brown,
    Did you perform an upgrade?
    remove Adobe Reader 8 and download and install Adobe Reader 9.2. (there are security risks and some incompatibility)

Ensure that you have the latest version of the other applications.

Run Windows Update to update the Office products.

Is your security software a Windows 7 version? verify at the vendor's site. If no, remove it or update it and install the Win 7 compatible version. Your subscription will activate the Win 7 version.
    2009년 11월 12일 목요일 오전 11:32
  • I've tried renewing the Icon Cache and running a System Restore to a point before they disappeared and neither of those ideas worked. 
    I repaired the Office icons by creating desktop shortcuts -- but all of my .docx files still have no icons -- and that doesn't really work for some of the other programs. 

I believe I have all the updates for these programs.  The disappearing seems to be almost at random. 

Any other ideas?
    2009년 11월 12일 목요일 오후 6:16
  • Hi,

It seems that the file association has been corrupted, I would like to suggest you perform the following steps to reset it.

Change the file association

================

1. Click the Start Button and click Default Programs.

2. Click "Associate a file type or protocol with program."

3. Click the XXX file extension and verify whether it is correctly set to open with the program which you want to use.

4. If the configuration is not set correctly, please highlight this XXX file extension and click the Change program button.

5. Check whether the program is listed in the Recommended Program or Other Programs. If so, please choose the program and click OK.

6. If not, please click the Browse button to locate the correct program.

7. Click OK.

What’s the result?

If the issue persists, would you please upload the following information to SkyDrive and provide us the link for analyzing? You may check how to use SkyDrive for more information.

Screenshot of the symptom

========================

1. Press the Print Screen key (PrtScn) on your keyboard.

2. Click the "Start" menu, type "mspaint" in the Search Bar and Press Enter.

3. In the Paint program, click the "Edit" menu, click "Paste", click the "File" menu, and click "Save".

4. The "Save As" dialogue box will appear. Type a file name in the "File name:" box, for example: "screenshot".

5. Make sure "JPEG (*.JPG;*.JPEG;*.JPE;*.JFIF)" is selected in the "Save as type" box, click “Desktop” on the left pane and then click "Save".

Please send this saved JPEG file to us.

2009년 11월 13일 금요일 오전 9:53
    중재자
  • I, too, have been experiencing this problem, the random icon that is missing and for which Windows substitutes a default icon. I've tried deleting the icon cache in appdata/local/ and rebooting. I've also gone into properties and have reassigned the icon. (The icon shows up fine in the selection window, but Windows just doesn't accept it.) It's only a few icons that have this problem. (I'm talking about the program icons, not file-association icons.)
    2009년 11월 21일 토요일 오후 3:17
  • I, too, have been experiencing this problem, the random icon that is missing and for which Windows substitutes a default icon. I've tried deleting the icon cache in appdata/local/ and rebooting. I've also gone into properties and have reassigned the icon. (The icon shows up fine in the selection window, but Windows just doesn't accept it.) It's only a few icons that have this problem. (I'm talking about the program icons, not file-association icons.)
    Yep, same here. New laptop with windows7 home premium x64 and random icon loss. Removed icon cache...nil result. Darn annoying and it seems no one has a simple explanation or definitive cure.
    As for it being a file association corruption, i can't see it as the blank icons all open the correct programs..ie they are correctly associated with the program.
    If I try to change the desktop icon it will work only for that shortcut but the icons in the "all programs" pop up still have generic blank icons and greyed out change icon tabs
    • 편집됨 mandc 2009년 11월 29일 일요일 오전 2:43 added
    2009년 11월 29일 일요일 오전 2:37
  • I'm having the exact same issue and have tried all of the above solutions with no luck.
    2009년 12월 11일 금요일 오후 3:37
  • I had a smaller version of the same problem: only the excel and word icons were shown as "generic", and only in the "All programs / microsoft office" section. The icons were OK though on the properties tabs of the shortcuts, and I had a greyed out "change icon" option. Have win7 64bit and office 2007.

I fixed in in the following way, maybe someone has luck with the same method.

I looked at the properties tab the other office icons (that remained fine) in the same place (e.g. the access shortcut). Although it does not list a target location, it lists (on the general tab) a location for itself, which was: C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Microsoft Office. I went there with a file explorer (enabling view of hidden and system files). In THAT location, the word and excel shortcuts DID show the correct icon!
    I then dragged the word-shortcut from there into the start menu (all programs, microsoft office), then released it. I got a popup saying that source and destination file are the same, and I pressed OK, so I guess nothing actually was copied, BUT, now the proper icon was restored!

Can't explain it, but it worked for me. lucky shot I guess.
    • 답변으로 제안됨 mpdjr 2011년 1월 21일 금요일 오전 4:59
    2009년 12월 30일 수요일 오전 12:42
  • I have had this issue come up as well. For example, Microsoft word 2007 shortcut icon was not working along with many others. To fix it I went into Start, default programs, associate file types and re-associated .docx with Word 2007. Nothing happened.

So I then manually browsed to the Word 2007 application exe file in the programs, Microsoft office, office12, Winword.exe and created a shortcut in that folder. I then moved that shortcut to the desktop, renamed it and then pined it to the taskbar. Low and behold all blank icons refreshed and repaired themselves magically.

??? I am fixed, but still do not know why the icons are having this hiccup.

Good luck.
    • 답변으로 제안됨 Johnny Deptford 2011년 11월 16일 수요일 오전 2:08
    2010년 1월 13일 수요일 오전 7:29
  • The Easiest way to fix this problem, which most of the time originates form creating your shortcuts in this manner:

Shortcut ---> Shortcut ---> Program,

these cause the icons to "lose their way" and appear as just generic icons. 

To fix this in windows 7, you need to take the following steps:

1.) Go to start and click on computer
    2.) Click on drive "C:"
    3.) Double click on the Program Files Folder
    4.) Double click on the Microsoft Office Folder
    5.) Double click on the Office12 Folder
    6.) Scroll down through that folder past the folders at the top, to where you start seeing individual files.
    7.) To restore the shortcut you are missing or is corrupted look for the following names for the programs you want. (You may type these names into the search box in the upper right to make things easier.

Program                      Name of File
    Access ------------>      MSACCESS.exe
    Excel -------------->      EXCEL.exe
    Groove ----------->       GROOVE.exe
    InfoPath ---------->      INFOPATH.exe
    Publisher --------->      MSPUB.exe
    Pic Manager ------>      OIS.exe
    OneNote ---------->     ONENOTE.exe
    Outlook ----------->     OUTLOOK.exe
    PowerPoint ------->     POWERPNT.exe
    Word ------------->      WINWORD.exe

8.) Once you have located the program file for the shortcut you are missing, simply right click and select create shortcut.  It will say you can not create shortcut here, and would you like to place it on the desktop, click yes.
    9.) Go to your desktop, and right click on the new icon, go to rename and rename it to you desired name.
    10.) Enjoy your new icon and your newly restored (proper) icon picture!

• 답변으로 제안됨 Mike Parks 2011년 6월 2일 목요일 오후 6:32
    2010년 1월 31일 일요일 오후 10:02
  • The Easiest way to fix this problem, which most of the time originates form creating your shortcuts in this manner:

6.) Scroll down through that folder past the folders at the top, to where you start seeing individual files.
    7.) To restore the shortcut you are missing or is corrupted look for the following names for the programs you want. (You may type these names into the search box in the upper right to make things easier.

8.) Once you have located the program file for the shortcut you are missing, simply right click and select create shortcut.  It will say you can not create shortcut here, and would you like to place it on the desktop, click yes.
    9.) Go to your desktop, and right click on the new icon, go to rename and rename it to you desired name.

Thank you, but this solves only half the problem : .docx files's icons are not back... but thanks ! I'll continue to try to find something...
    • 답변으로 제안됨 DotKuBanned 2011년 7월 27일 수요일 오전 12:00
    2010년 2월 4일 목요일 오후 2:54
  • I FOUND IT !!

Ok I found the way to solve that problem:

Get an application called : Iconpackager : http://www.stardock.com/products/iconpackager/ 

install it, run it once, close it. 

Now, when you right click on a file with a blank icon, you should now get the option "change icon" from your right-click menu.

The program starts, (continue the trial).

Click on "repair image" (or something like that, my system is in French so...)

Do the same for every different MS Office File type, ex. .doc, .dox, .xls, etc. It also seemed to work with acrobat (but I'm using Nitro for my PDF...)

You might still need to create new shortcuts for your programs as EagleMitchell said, but this procedure/program should solve the rest of the problem !

Good luck !!

• 답변으로 제안됨 ici_Silver 2010년 2월 4일 목요일 오후 5:11
    2010년 2월 4일 목요일 오후 5:11
  • I'm having a similar issue, but it is not related to the actual shortcuts.  All of my .doc/.docx/.xls/.xlsx FILES are missing that application associated icon.  When selecting that .doc file or whatever, Word will open and I can use the file.  However, I'm having to change settings in Explorer to show extensions of files so that I can locate certain files.  Listing the folder in details, the documents is noted as a "Microsoft  Office Word document...".  Just my icons are different.  Annoying.  They were great until a few weeks ago.  Suddenly happened.
    2010년 2월 10일 수요일 오전 4:31
  • I too am having issues with my icons dissapearing.  Random icons just suddenly and unexplainedly change to default icons.  I first noticed The Google Earth icon and the Agis icon on my desktop had changed. The Windows Mobile Device Center and Acrobat icons have changed under start programs.  I tried right clicking on the Google Earth icon and noticed that something akin to a GUID was inserted in the icon path when I clicked the "Change Icon" button.  I was able to redirect it to the program exe and the icon reappeard on the desktop icons but the start menu items are still defunct because the Change Icon button is grayed out and doesn't work. Please fix this problem it's quite annoying...  Thanks...
    2010년 2월 15일 월요일 오전 7:25
  • I FOUND IT !!

Ok I found the way to solve that problem:

Get an application called : Iconpackager : http://www.stardock.com/products/iconpackager/  

install it, run it once, close it. 

Now, when you right click on a file with a blank icon, you should now get the option "change icon" from your right-click menu.

The program starts, (continue the trial).

Click on "repair image" (or something like that, my system is in French so...)

Do the same for every different MS Office File type, ex. .doc, .dox, .xls, etc. It also seemed to work with acrobat (but I'm using Nitro for my PDF...)

You might still need to create new shortcuts for your programs as EagleMitchell  said, but this procedure/program should solve the rest of the problem !

Good luck !!

I confirm, that program did the job. I just installed it and my corrupted icons in the start menu were fixed directly. However, after uninstalling it, the corrupted icons were back.

Update:

Using the "Repair Icon Cache" of TuneUp Utilities 2010 did the job.
    • 편집됨 pydon 2010년 3월 6일 토요일 오후 9:55 update
    2010년 3월 6일 토요일 오후 7:59
  • Anyone else confirm this utility works?
    • 답변으로 제안됨 paddybut 2010년 7월 27일 화요일 오후 8:20
    2010년 4월 6일 화요일 오후 11:26
  • Always seemed to have this issue with 7.

All the fixes mentioned above are not really going to fix the problem. The issue seems to stem from how Windows 7 handles the caching of icons. You need to increase the cache size and this should get rid of corruption:

1. Navigate to the following key in the registry:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer

2. Create a REG_SZ (string value) called "Max Cached Icons" (omit quotes but include the spaces)

3. The default value is way too low(500). Bump it to 4096 (4MB) or more, I do 8192(8MB).(edit: you won't actually see a default value as this will be a newly created string, I meant to say it is default to Windows)

4. Reboot and you should be good to go.

• 답변으로 제안됨 CrunchyChewie 2010년 4월 12일 월요일 오전 3:31
    2010년 4월 12일 월요일 오전 3:29
  • Ok, I dont know alot about computers but this worked for me........

Start Menu go to computer

Program Files

Microsoft Office

Then scroll down to whatever program's icon is messed up

Drag to the desktop and rename it

DONE

2010년 4월 17일 토요일 오후 4:11
  • Here you go, Arthur: http://cid-2bfa713f42bdea24.skydrive.live.com/self.aspx/.Public/Not%20correct%20icon%20-%20Bruce%20Ades.png

Fast machine. Windows 7 Pro. Etc.

I am having the same problem. It only is occuring with MS program. I have all of Office 12 installed and all work correctly; except, I am unable to install MS Project 2007 or MS Project 2010 - which I keep getting a 1310 error.

I'm the Administrator. UAC turned off. SubInACL used on registry. Added myself as a full control throughout. Took Ownership. Etc.

The new layers of security are just unintelligble compared to XP.  Help appreciated...or a referral. Thx, Bruce

2010년 4월 20일 화요일 오후 10:04
  • I confirm, that program did the job. I just installed it and my corrupted icons in the start menu were fixed directly. However, after uninstalling it, the corrupted icons were back.

Update:

Using the "Repair Icon Cache" of TuneUp Utilities 2010 did the job.

After some times, TuneUp Utilities 2010 didn't work anymore: the issue came back (missing icon for some icons in the start menu and missing icons of program in the taskbar (and even in the program files folders).

So, I came back to Stardock IconPackager: http://www.stardock.com/products/iconpackager/

IconPackager fixed all my Windows 7 icons problem. The only drawback is that the issue will come back as soon as you uninstall it. IconPackager seems to be free (no time limitation), but has very limited features compared to the paid version. But it does the job perfectly (no startup entry, no resident program).

• 답변으로 제안됨 mohd.w 2011년 8월 28일 일요일 오후 5:02
    • 답변으로 제안 취소됨 mohd.w 2011년 8월 28일 일요일 오후 5:03
    2010년 5월 2일 일요일 오전 11:17
  • I hope that someone out there is able to come up with the proper solution to resolve this and let us know.  I'm really not up for installing a 3rd party application to repair a Windows 7 Operating system issue.
    2010년 5월 7일 금요일 오후 5:34
  • I've been having this problem for a while now, Iconpackager, TuneUp Utilities, and deleting the icon cache did not do the trick...

All my microsoft office files(.doc, .docx ...) have a blank icon and also some .exe files from applications have that blank .exe icon.

I am wondering is microsoft even considering this an issue and is trying to fix it or what? If they are is there an ETA or something? It's really annoying :S

2010년 5월 7일 금요일 오후 6:50
  • Select the file with the incorrect winword white icon. Right click - Open With - Choose Default Program - Important that you do NOT select the Recommended Program but select Browse to C: Program Files > Microsoft Office > Office12 > highlight WINWORD.EXE - Right Click Properties and select OPEN. This properly restored the blank docx icon to the usual Word icon for me.

It works :-)

2010년 5월 8일 토요일 오후 10:56
  • Mahuna,

I am totally in the same boat and am really annoyed.  For some of my presentations @ my workplace I'm having to name the files as word.xxxxxxxxfile.doc due to the long file names I have to use.  Sometimes I have even used a different machine to get the correct "pretty" view for my boss's.  Extemely annoying and I due hope that something comes up good.  I'm wondering if there are some files or logs or whatever that can be viewed by Microsoft for them to even take a look at it.  Again, none of the above proposals work on my laptop and I won't be installing any 3rd party app, especially when I see that they are not working correctly.

Annoying.  Again I hope that someone(even MSFT) out there is able to possibly exam any specific files, logs or something.

2010년 5월 10일 월요일 오전 12:50
  • Hi Charlie Hawkins and Mahuna,

I found that when you click the backstage button and select "Save as" for a document there is a box to check for save thumbnail. Open an existing document, select save as, check that box, leave the name and file type the same and save. This is in Office 2007 and 2010.

Is that what you want to appear next to the file name? The word doc icon or a preview in the larger icon view?

2010년 5월 10일 월요일 오전 3:11
  • I have had this problem a number of times. It seems to always come back. I have reformatted and started fresh. But there must be a conflict with some other program that I have running.

The fix to create a new shortcut is NOT A FIX, it barely a Band-Aid. The problem is still there. I had this problem with Beta and with final release. I would like to know if Microsoft ever plans to fix or if they even know. I have tried all the suggested fixes from this site and others and none work.

And Yes, this is very annoying!!!

2010년 6월 22일 화요일 오후 4:07
  • I was able to resolve my problem.  But, I'm not sure everyone else will be able to do this.  Previously I had re-installed Office Pro over & over but that still did not repair the issue.  But... I installed Office Ultimate over my Office Professional.  And weeeee!!!  My icons and shortcuts are just back like they should be!!!   Still, I hope that there comes a solution for the problem mentioned above.
    2010년 6월 28일 월요일 오후 3:50
  • Icons disappear when {GUID} folders are deleted from C:\Windows\Installer. CCleaner apparently will do this, though I don't use CCleaner and I'm experiencing the problem.  I do, however, use Revo Uninstaller, and I am wondering if it is the culprit.

The problem is discussed here .  Read WindowsStar's response, and follow his link.

2010년 7월 4일 일요일 오후 2:33
  • Can anyone post the folder in a zip file? C:\Windows\Installer

Thanks.

2010년 7월 9일 금요일 오후 5:23
  • In my case, KB979441 (MS10-039: Security Update for Office InfoPath 2007: June 8, 2010) run on Win7 64-bit systems broke the Infopath desktop icon, leaving the white default one.  Uninstalling the patch put the correct icon back.  This did not occur on our Windows XP SP3 systems.

Russell

2010년 7월 23일 금요일 오전 12:01
  • For those that cannot fix the caching issue see :

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2286198

Regards...

2010년 7월 29일 목요일 오후 9:32
  • I tried it both ways, deleting the values per the KB, and also restoring them, and there was no affect on the desktop icons for InfoPath and Access that were blanked by their security patches.  In fact, on my Win 7 Ent 64-bit, there was no affect on any icons either way.  What has made it more interesting is that KB2286198 mentions that start menu icons will be defaulted, too.  My start menu icons are intact, it's only the desktop icons that are affected.

This is occurring for all of our Windows 7 Enterprise 64-bit systems, btw.

I have opened a ticket with Microsoft support, so let's hope we get something for the $ we're paying.

Thanks,
    Russell

2010년 7월 29일 목요일 오후 10:00
  • Go to MS Tools on the start menu and run Microsoft Office Giagnostic tools for Office 2007.

it fixed it for me.

• 답변으로 제안됨 MartaDelia 2012년 1월 6일 금요일 오후 7:45
    2010년 10월 21일 목요일 오전 5:26
  • A easier way is to type in microsoft office diagnostic in the start search bar
    2010년 10월 26일 화요일 오전 3:11
  • Hi Arthur,

Running Win7 (Vista upgrade) and now have all desktop and "Start" menu icons appearing as Adobe Reader symbol, including Symantic, Malwarebytes, etc.   The following URL shows the result (JPEG):   

<iframe title ="Preview" scrolling="no" marginheight="0" marginwidth="0" frameborder="0" style="width:320px;height:102px;padding:0;background-color:#fcfcfc;" src="http://cid-32276a0b6ffebbaa.photos.live.com/embedphoto.aspx/Win%207%20issues/adobe%20icons.jpg"></iframe>

Following some advise in this forum, as soon as I changed the target system bar icon, say IE, all the same icons as above change to show the IE symbol.  Same for Word.

I appreciate any help you or someone else can provide.

Thx

2010년 10월 28일 목요일 오전 3:55
  • Thank you!!Thank you!!Thank you!!Thank you!!Thank you!!Thank you!!Thank you!!Thank you!!Thank you!!Thank you!!Thank you!!Thank you!!Thank you!!Thank you!!Thank you!!
    2010년 11월 24일 수요일 오후 12:07
  • Hi encyclopedia brown,

I have the same problem as you and after searching for a day for a definitive solution, i have found this one that works on another forum located here: http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/49819-icon-cache-rebuild.html

The reason seems to be that icons stored have for some reason disappeared (inexplicably?). The solution is also stupidly simple after i've tried every suggestion in this thread.

1) go to start menu and search for: cmd

2) right click on cmd and choose "run as administrator" (--> this causes command line to change from C:\users\<account name> to change to: C:\windows\system32).

3) turn off everything you are doing after saving your work because now you will be closing explorer.exe

4) in the command line enter each command separately and with enter following each line

• taskkill /IM explorer.exe /F
    • CD /d %userprofile%\AppData\Local
    • DEL IconCache.db /a
    • shutdown /r

5) after the restart, everything should be back to normal.

This is a complete fix for the problem and not a work around and I can verify that it worked for me. Good luck all.

• 편집됨 coefficients 2010년 11월 28일 일요일 오전 2:01 formating fix
    • 답변으로 제안됨 SergSlim 2011년 2월 8일 화요일 오후 7:12
    2010년 11월 28일 일요일 오전 1:59
  • Hi encyclopedia brown,

I have the same problem as you and after searching for a day for a definitive solution, i have found this one that works on another forum located here: http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/49819-icon-cache-rebuild.html

The reason seems to be that icons stored have for some reason disappeared (inexplicably?). The solution is also stupidly simple after i've tried every suggestion in this thread.

1) go to start menu and search for: cmd

2) right click on cmd and choose "run as administrator" (--> this causes command line to change from C:\users\<account name> to change to: C:\windows\system32).

3) turn off everything you are doing after saving your work because now you will be closing explorer.exe

4) in the command line enter each command separately and with enter following each line

• DEL IconCache.db /a
    • shutdown /r

5) after the restart, everything should be back to normal.

This is a complete fix for the problem and not a work around and I can verify that it worked for me. Good luck all.

Finally a post that makes some sense. I can confirm that this was the only CORRECT SOLUTION. Don't bother wasting your time with work-arounds and the flimsy Band-Aids suggested. Soon, you will be pulling your hair out and back to reading this forum. The only other useful bit of information was to increase the Max Cached Icons as posted by CrunchyChewie:

2. Create a REG_SZ (string value) called "Max Cached Icons" (omit quotes but include the spaces)

3. The default value is way too low(500). Bump it to 4096 (4MB) or more, I do 8192(8MB).(edit: you won't actually see a default value as this will be a newly created string, I meant to say it is default to Windows)

• 답변으로 제안됨 MtnHonky 2010년 12월 16일 목요일 오후 10:32
    2010년 12월 10일 금요일 오전 9:20
  • The last suggestion only succeeded in making my problem worse.  Before implementing the above suggestion the icons on my screen were still present and could be clicked on, but most showed as a default icon rather than the icon associated with the program.  After following the above instructions ALL of the icons were displayed a different variation of the generic icon. 

I peformed system restore to a point before the icon issues occurred and this worked for about a day.  Then FireFox installed an update and everything went back to the same icon issue.  I did another system restore and the issue remained.  I uninstalled FireFox, rebooted and the issue persisted.  I then went into Windows IE 8 and set IE as the default browser and the very second that I set IE 8 as the default, all of the icons magically reappeared. 

I hope this helps someone else out.

2010년 12월 16일 목요일 오후 10:48
  • Got this idea from an ino7 post. 

1. go to C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs

2. Highlight any program that has a corrupted icon, go to properties and change icon

3. change icon to any icon, click apply and all your icons will probably go back to their intended settings

I think the false icons that are displayed are essentially corrupted shortcut arrows trying to reintroduce themselves.  The first indication I got of this possible reason was when I went to desktop, pressed "control" and scrolled down with the mouse. The false icons overlaying the correct icons then reduced in size and took up position where the shortcut arrow normally appears.  Hope this works for all out there.

2011년 1월 21일 금요일 오전 5:12

2. Highlight any program that has a corrupted icon, go to properties and change icon

3. change icon to any icon, click apply and all your icons will probably go back to their intended settings

I think the false icons that are displayed are essentially corrupted shortcut arrows trying to reintroduce themselves.  The first indication I got of this possible reason was when I went to desktop, pressed "control" and scrolled down with the mouse. The false icons overlaying the correct icons then reduced in size and took up position where the shortcut arrow normally appears.  Hope this works for all out there.

2011년 1월 21일 금요일 오전 5:22
  • The 'change icon' and 'open file location' buttons are greyed out even though I took ownership as domain admin. Any ideas?
    2011년 1월 31일 월요일 오후 8:24
    • DEL IconCache.db /a
    • shutdown /r

This one helped me with same problem. I had those kind of problem that some shortcuts had missing icons, though when going to their properties - icons were shown, and just changing shortcut icon didn't help.

After a restart all icons were back to normal. I had problems with icons of Skype, uTorrent, AIMP2.... maybe something else.

But also I have to note, that 'shutdown' command didn't work for me. Win7 Ultimate x64

• 답변으로 제안됨 Kring1011 2011년 3월 19일 토요일 오후 10:27
    2011년 2월 8일 화요일 오후 7:13
  • Okay, this is the only solution that makes any sense. However , it is not working for me.

Same scenario: my Word 2007 docx files abruptly displayed different icons this morning. I have tried three or four different fixes, none of which work, and I don't want to dl a third-party program. (These icons are not shortcuts, and I am unable to apply the fix of switching the default program out and then back.)

I go into the CMD as admin and enter the first two commands. So far so good. I enter the third command and it replies, "Could Not Find C:\Users\MYUSERNAME\AppData\Local\IconCache.db."

What can I do? :-/

• 답변으로 제안됨 Kring1011 2011년 3월 19일 토요일 오후 10:27
    2011년 2월 27일 일요일 오후 9:07
  • So for me it took 2 things, not either on their own worked. but the answer is in this thread!!! And this is a major flaw with windows yet to be fixed, even after Win7 SP1. 

Step 1: Increase Registry for icons

Step 2: Follow the actions to delete the ICON cache EXACTLY as follows!! if you do not kill explorer it doesn't work!

Step 1:

3. The default value is way too low(500). Bump it to 4096 (4MB) or more, I do 8192(8MB)

Step 2:

Open ad Admin elevated cmd prompt and paste these 4 lines in one at a time.

• DEL IconCache.db /a
    • shutdown /r

• 답변으로 제안됨 Kring1011 2011년 3월 19일 토요일 오후 10:31
    2011년 3월 19일 토요일 오후 10:30
  • After trying what Kring1011 said (joins CrunchyChewie and coefficients' solutions, so thanks to them too!), I made this little script you can use to solve the problem just by running this .bat file.

@echo off
    reg DELETE HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer /v "Max Cached Icons" /f
    reg ADD HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer /v "Max Cached Icons" /t REG_SZ /d 8196

taskkill /IM explorer.exe /F 
    If exist %userprofile%\AppData\Local\IconCache.db goto delID
    goto :main

:delID
    cd /d %userprofile%\AppData\Local
    del IconCache.db /a
    goto main

:main
    shutdown /r /t 0
    exit

This will change your Icon Cache DB size to 8196, regenerate the Icon Cache DB by deletion and finally reboot your system.

I hope you find it usefull!

• 답변으로 제안됨 kyrix77 2011년 4월 16일 토요일 오전 11:28
    2011년 4월 16일 토요일 오전 11:28
  • I tried everything published without results. So, I did it the hard way, and one at a time. Use Windows explorer and create a shortcut of the programs you need to change the icons on your desktop. Go to the orb, all programs to see if the icons are still incorrect. use explorer, go to the drive where program data files are stored. Open the directory: program data\Microsoft\windows\start menu\programs. you need to have admin privileges for this: delete the shortcuts with the wrong icons, then drag the desktop shortcuts with the correct icons and drop them into that directory with a "move", click continue, or OK. Do these one at a time, then check the icons on your "all programs". You can rename the application shortcuts to look like what they were originally. When you click on the applications now, they show up with the correct icons on the task bar as well ...  good luck!
    2011년 4월 17일 일요일 오후 5:14
  • The icons in MS Office 2007 in Windows 7 lost their pictures due to the their icon files deletion in "C:\Windows\Installer\" directory. The deletion may be due to some malfunctioning or can be by some cleanup utility.

To restore the icons you can download the original files which are deleted. The files can be downloaded at below link

https://rapidshare.com/files/457967017/_90120000-0012-0000-0000-0000000FF1CE_.rar

You don't need to create account to download files. Just select slow download option and wait for 60 seconds.

After downloading the files you can replace the entire directory or else you can copy the files within the directory if the destination path if different than "C:\Windows\Installer\{90120000-0012-0000-0000-0000000FF1CE}"

In my case the path is "C:\Windows\Installer\{90120000-0012-0000-0000-0000000FF1CE}". If its different in your case then you can recognize by "0FF1CE" in the end of the directory name in "C:\Windows\Installer\" directory.

After copying the files just restart your system and to get the icon pictures back just select the file like .xls file. Right click on the file and select properties then change the open with option to some other program like Adobe then restore back it to Microsoft Office Excel.

Whooaaa your icons are back. Enjoy :)

The best way to learn is to make mistakes. :)

Regards, Premjeet Singh
    • 답변으로 제안됨 MpDay 2012년 4월 17일 화요일 오전 7:14
    2011년 4월 18일 월요일 오전 9:38
  • I had a similar problem with the desktop icons not working. I checked IE8 - Tools - Manage Add-ons and found that some items were "Not Available" but their status indicated thet were "Enabled". I made all these "Disabled" with a right click of the mouse and my problem has now gone away.

Good luck :-)

2011년 4월 27일 수요일 오전 11:09
  • SOLUTION!!

If you have tried to fix this issue using the "delete icon cache" and "max cached icons" methods and still do not have icons try this;

First make sure you are able to view hidden and system files!

To enable this:

• In any open windows explorer window, press the [ALT] key to view the folder menu bar.
    • Click on Tools menu, and select Folder Options.
    • Click on the View tab.
    • Under the Hidden files and folders section select the radio button labeled Show hidden files, folders, and drives.
    • Remove the check mark from the Hide protected operating system files and click OK if prompt appears asking if you want to continue.
    • Click on the OK button at the bottom of the Folder Options window.

To repair Icons:

• Open up "My Computer" and navigate to the "C:\Windows" directory.
    • Scroll down to the "Installer" folder. Right click the "Installer" folder and choose "Properties".
    • Click on the "Previous Versions" tab and wait for the list to populate with previous versions.
    • Choose one from a date that you know/believe your icons were working, click on it, and choose "Copy"
    • In the box that pops up, tell it to copy to the "C:\Windows" folder.
    • If a warning pops up click on the "yes" box to Merge folders.
    • When/If a warning pops up asking if you want to "Copy/Replace" choose "Do not Copy" and make sure that you put a check mark in the "Do this for the next # conflicts" (You do not want to copy OVER the existing files, you just want to merge the new files into the same directory as the existing)

When the copy is finished close all open folders and return to your Desktop. Right click on your desktop and select "Refresh"

Your Icons Should be restored!

2011년 6월 15일 수요일 오후 5:28

Hi, First of all many thanks to mpdjr, this will surely work for everyone,atleast for existing shorcuts ,i've no of .exe icons transformed into nothing,but this trick works well, In START menu 1. Go to all Programmes. 2. Select what you need. 3. Right click : Properties : Shortcut : Change Icon : Select an icon Or Browse for an .ico file.
    2011년 8월 3일 수요일 오후 3:01
  • This worked a treat. Thank You!!!!

Stewart

• 편집됨 dk5sma 2011년 9월 21일 수요일 오후 9:24
    2011년 9월 21일 수요일 오후 9:24
  • I too had mostly generic icons on my Windows 7 desktop, but on the desktop only.   My start menu and taskbar were okay.  Maybe there are different solutions to this problem, but here's what worked for me:

I went to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Icons.   There was a REG_SZ value for a program I had already uninstalled.   The name of the string value was 29 and the data read "C:\Program Files (x86)\TweakNow PowerPack 2010\Blank.ico."  I deleted this key and rebooted and my desktop icons were no longer generic. 

Maybe this will work for you as well.   

2011년 9월 25일 일요일 오후 8:44
  • None of these worked for me. My problem was that the pinned icon in the taskbar for Adobe InDesign went missing on me after uninstalling and reinstalling the program. Tried manually changing the icon via the shortcut properties menus to no avail. The thing had become corrupted. I did however fix it by rebuilding the icon cache--direction to which can be found here: http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/49819-icon-cache-rebuild.html
    2011년 9월 26일 월요일 오전 4:53
  •  

Icons disappear when {GUID} folders are deleted from C:\Windows\Installer. CCleaner apparently will do this, though I don't use CCleaner and I'm experiencing the problem.  I do, however, use Revo Uninstaller, and I am wondering if it is the culprit.

The problem is discussed here .  Read WindowsStar's response, and follow his link.

This is the exact problem, because I accidentally delete C:\Windows\Installer myself to save space in drive C thinking it store installation files that I don't need anymore.

I tried hours to uninstall & reinstall but no luck. Last resort to system image restore

I upload the Subfolder that belongs to Office 2010 32bit here, if someone want to test if it works:

C:\Windows\Installer\{91140000-0011-0000-0000-0000000FF1CE}

{91140000-0011-0000-0000-0000000FF1CE}.zip

I figured this out using free FileTypesMan v1.61” suggested by WindowsStar in http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/51078-microsoft-icons.html#post474320

• 편집됨 chuong2011 2011년 9월 30일 금요일 오후 7:38
    • 답변으로 제안됨 Tim Peerlings 2012년 4월 13일 금요일 오전 5:22
    2011년 9월 30일 금요일 오후 2:48
  • I got the same problem, but I managed to resolve it

First enable the view of hidden files and folders. This can be done like this

1)Open the windows explorer

2) press the ALT key, an addtional menu bar should be visible

3) go to tools -> folder options

4) click the view tab

5) Chose the option "show hidden files and folders".... Click apply and accept

Next, go to the folder C:\Windows\Installer

Right click in a white spot and choose properties

Go to the past versions tab and wait the system to load past versions... you should get a screen similar to this one

Double click a version that you know the icons worked... a new window should open.

Copy all of the contents of that folder into your C:\Windows\Installer folder

Wait for it to copy and then restart Windows

Your icons should be back

Hope this helps....

Sorry for my bad English and the inaccurate names, but my system is in Spanish...

• 편집됨 Hex_-_Omega 2011년 10월 1일 토요일 오전 5:11
    2011년 10월 1일 토요일 오전 5:10
  • This works (the instructions quoted below) and seems to be a permanent fix. Just browse to the program files folder of whatever program is displaying the generic icon and right click-sendto: desktop as shortcut.....
    Then you can simply drag that desktop icon into your quick launch or right click again and pin to start menu.
    Mine were corrupted when I installed adobe reader.

The Easiest way to fix this problem, which most of the time originates form creating your shortcuts in this manner:

• 답변으로 제안됨 -Prem- 2011년 10월 28일 금요일 오전 7:20
    2011년 10월 20일 목요일 오후 11:42
  • i don't know if it'll work for you all but when i fixed the problem it was much simpler than whatever everyone else is suggesting, and it worked without any third party apps.

Just right click on any lost icon saved file (in my case-word and excel) and make sure its an actual saved doc, not the original application/shortcut. Then click on properties, click on the change button (referring to 'opens with' section) and double click on the application you used want to fix. Then click apply and done. It will set all alike programs (all other word/excel docs) to the correct icon.

DONE and FIXED

2011년 10월 28일 금요일 오전 7:32
  • This works (the instructions quoted below) and seems to be a permanent fix. Just browse to the program files folder of whatever program is displaying the generic icon and right click-sendto: desktop as shortcut.....

I tried this method before and pretty sure it is not the permanent fix for missing

C:\Windows\Installer\{91140000-0011-0000-0000-0000000FF1CE}

If you open windows explorer and browse your document files. They would not have proper icon associate with it.

Restore that folder by either download it from my link or from a backup version is the only permanent fix.

2011년 10월 30일 일요일 오전 3:09
  • I had the same problem as most people here, random disappearance of application icons. When trying to change the icon, it appeared the icon was set correctly, but it still showed the windows default icon. Aesthetically very annoying.

CrunchyChewies solution did the job, thnx!

2011년 11월 2일 수요일 오전 10:23
  • Subconscious79's strategy worked a treat for my missing PowerPoint icon. Very simple remedy after a lot of searching for answers.
    2011년 11월 16일 수요일 오전 2:07
  • Magically fixed me, too. Thanks so much.
    2011년 11월 16일 수요일 오후 8:44
  • Hi All,

Here is something that worked for me. I saw it from this link http://en.kioskea.net/forum/affich-11244-microsft-word-icon-is-gone

Here is what it stated for those who do not want to follow the link.

Go to microsoft office-- microsoft office tools-- microsoft office picture manager-- help-- detect and repair-- check restore my shortcuts while repairing.

This should restore all the microsoft office shortcuts

2011년 12월 3일 토요일 오후 12:55
  • My solution :

logoff from your session

login with another usersname

delete the following files in c:\users\YourUsernameWhichIsHavingIssues\appdata\local

-> IconCache.db

-> GDOPFONTCACHV1.DAT

logoff

relogin with your normal username 

If it worked, rejoyce!

2011년 12월 8일 목요일 오후 3:46
  • ^^^^This absolutely worked for me. Thank you very much.
    2011년 12월 16일 금요일 오후 9:53
  • My Windows 7 32-bit system with Acrobat 9 Pro and Adobe Reader X installed had the same issue.  No PDF thumbnails were shown in Windows Explorer, just Acrobat icons.  I simply changed the default file association from Acrobat 9 to Adobe Reader and now I have nice thumbnails of PDF's in Explorer again.

Windows > Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Default Programs\Set Associations > PDF > Change Program > Adobe Reader X

I think the issue is that Acrobat is not good at thumbnails in either 32 or 64 bit environments.

2011년 12월 19일 월요일 오후 8:11
  • Go to MS Tools on the start menu and run Microsoft Office Giagnostic tools for Office 2007.

it fixed it for me.

<input id="8345df17-8652-4dcc-9a29-3c52e9761db8_attachments" type="hidden" />

Thanks

I spent two weeks trying to repair and this solution was worked was easier than I thought.
    I did all the complicated processes and none worked and proved to be as easy in the world.

• 편집됨 MartaDelia 2012년 1월 6일 금요일 오후 7:52
    • 답변으로 제안됨 MyronKe 2012년 4월 27일 금요일 오전 12:04
    2012년 1월 6일 금요일 오후 7:46
  • mag00n,

Thank you so much! I wasn't even aware of the restore previous version option in the properties of a folder or file. After restoring and rebooting, all my office icons returned. I have no idea how this happened in the first place, but I am glad the nightmare is over!

James

2012년 1월 21일 토요일 오후 5:05
  • I had a smaller version of the same problem: only the excel and word icons were shown as "generic", and only in the "All programs / microsoft office" section. The icons were OK though on the properties tabs of the shortcuts, and I had a greyed out "change icon" option. Have win7 64bit and office 2007.

I fixed in in the following way, maybe someone has luck with the same method.

I looked at the properties tab the other office icons (that remained fine) in the same place (e.g. the access shortcut). Although it does not list a target location, it lists (on the general tab) a location for itself, which was: C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Microsoft Office. I went there with a file explorer (enabling view of hidden and system files). In THAT location, the word and excel shortcuts DID show the correct icon!
    I then dragged the word-shortcut from there into the start menu (all programs, microsoft office), then released it. I got a popup saying that source and destination file are the same, and I pressed OK, so I guess nothing actually was copied, BUT, now the proper icon was restored!

Can't explain it, but it worked for me. lucky shot I guess.
    Thank you! this worked for me. This has been bugging me for over a month
    2012년 2월 4일 토요일 오전 2:27
  • Thank you! I fixed the problem!

2012년 2월 9일 목요일 오전 12:23
  • Hey guys, 

Im having a similair problem!

On my maps I have a default white box displayed which I dont seem to be able to remove??!!!

Looking for a fix on the internet for hours now, still havent found anything.... I have a ScreenShot down belowe with an example of the problem on my picture map.

SS:

2012년 3월 3일 토요일 오전 9:48
  • This worked for me too :)

Other solutions would work only temporarily but this one above is permanent

Thankyou coefficients

2012년 3월 24일 토요일 오전 10:29
  • Great this was it for me!

For me the directories in c:\windows\installer were missing, because i deleted them earlier to make more disk space available. Good lesson for me.

I copied the specific directories back to the installer directory, but this didnt solve the issue yet.

• 편집됨 Tim Peerlings 2012년 4월 13일 금요일 오전 5:33
    2012년 4월 13일 금요일 오전 5:24
  • I had this same problem and I know how to fix this.

Step 1: Right click the icon that won't display.

Step 2: Left click restore previous versions, a box will show up.

Step 3: Click on the 'Shortcut' tab at the top of the box.

Step 4: Click 'Change Icon...' button.

Step 5: Click the Icon you wish to use.

Step 6: Click 'OK', then click the other 'OK', and your icon will be restored.

Hope this helped. :)

• 편집됨 JackAttack97 2012년 4월 13일 금요일 오후 8:20
    • 답변으로 제안됨 jimvirtooza 2012년 4월 20일 금요일 오전 4:52
    • 답변으로 제안 취소됨 jimvirtooza 2012년 4월 20일 금요일 오전 4:52
    2012년 4월 13일 금요일 오후 8:19
  • Hi everyone, I have too problem with my desktop icons I have missing sign on the desktop icons. And the icon are locked. How to fix it? 
    2012년 4월 20일 금요일 오전 4:54
  • I was dealing with MS Office 2007 ultimate showing just one same generic icon for every program in the (Vista) startup programs list. The same was true of any shortcuts added to the desktop. Now I feel kind of silly that I've been working on this problem for about 24 hrs and a Windows diagnostic tool automagically solved my problem in about 5 mins. just open ms office then look for an entry that isn't a program, utilities?, something like that and then run the office diagnostic tool. easy
    2012년 4월 27일 금요일 오전 12:17
  • Always seemed to have this issue with 7.

All the fixes mentioned above are not really going to fix the problem. The issue seems to stem from how Windows 7 handles the caching of icons. You need to increase the cache size and this should get rid of corruption:

4. Reboot and you should be good to go.

THIS WORKED PERFECTLY! THANK YOU!!!!
    2012년 5월 1일 화요일 오후 4:58
  • The icons in MS Office 2007 in Windows 7 lost their pictures due to the their icon files deletion in "C:\Windows\Installer\" directory. The deletion may be due to some malfunctioning or can be by some cleanup utility.

To restore the icons you can download the original files which are deleted. The files can be downloaded at below link

https://rapidshare.com/files/457967017/_90120000-0012-0000-0000-0000000FF1CE_.rar

You don't need to create account to download files. Just select slow download option and wait for 60 seconds.

After downloading the files you can replace the entire directory or else you can copy the files within the directory if the destination path if different than "C:\Windows\Installer\{90120000-0012-0000-0000-0000000FF1CE}"

In my case the path is "C:\Windows\Installer\{90120000-0012-0000-0000-0000000FF1CE}". If its different in your case then you can recognize by "0FF1CE" in the end of the directory name in "C:\Windows\Installer\" directory.

After copying the files just restart your system and to get the icon pictures back just select the file like .xls file. Right click on the file and select properties then change the open with option to some other program like Adobe then restore back it to Microsoft Office Excel.

Regards, Premjeet Singh

Adding to this thread on 5/12/2012 and heavily suggesting this to be a valid solution:

Note that while I didn't do any steps of his solution, this fellow's suggestion got me thinking.  Along with other searches, it became apparent that something (suspectedly CCleaner after I mistakenly took ownership of the C:\Windows directory) had deleted my C:\Windows\Installer folder completely.  However, system restore kept failing in normal, safe mode, and system recovery mode.  So, what to do?

I ended up finding a utility that allows you to mount system restore files in the same way you mount an iso image.  A link to this software (System Restore Explorer) is here:  http://nicbedford.co.uk/software/systemrestoreexplorer/  (notice the small "download here" link in the bulk of the latter half of his text on it, it's tiny but there).

This allows you to navigate to the mounted System Restore point's backup of the "C:\Windows\Installer" folder.  Note:  It is crucial you choose the most recent installer folder SINCE it was deleted, as this will contain the largest number of files you will end up needing at some point (say during uninstallation of anything later), although I'm sure even an aged Installer backup will restore your icons (so long as its restore point was made after Office's installation).

After that it's simply a matter of copying the Restore point's "C:\Windows\Installer" folder to your C:\Windows directory.  After doing this simply tell the computer to open .docx files with any other program, hit apply, and then re-tell it to open such files with Word (or Excel, etc.).  After doing this I didn't even need to restart it and ALL my messed up icons (Office, Windows Live, Rosetta Stone, etc.) were fixed!

Regards,

Nicholas Brunk

• 답변으로 제안됨 Ghersic 2012년 5월 13일 일요일 오전 2:55
    • 편집됨 Ghersic 2012년 5월 13일 일요일 오전 2:58
    2012년 5월 13일 일요일 오전 2:54
  • Thank you. This worked for me :)
    2012년 5월 29일 화요일 오전 5:58
  • here is the best final solution (made by microsoft) that will work on any windows include windows 7 x64 bit:

this will solve only the office (shortcats and icons) problem:

1. download this fix from http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971179

2. open and istall it

3. lunch the tool

it will remove everything that belongs to office.

4. after that install the office

good luck!

Life is good. Live with IT!

• 답변으로 제안됨 rami7250 2012년 6월 7일 목요일 오전 9:23
    2012년 6월 7일 목요일 오전 9:23
  • Nearly all the icons were missing on my start menu Windows 7 Home Premium, i read a lot of websites like this one,loads of answers,that either did'nt work or i had'nt got a clue what they were talking about,anyway about 90% of icons had done one,also only one programme worked, the default one,which at the time was a pretty windows middle class flower. then i read this one site and this guy or guyette (we don't call birds, guys in the UK, that's some weird yank thing !) said to try ICON PACKAGER, You have to pay for it,BUT don't panic if your on the dole like me, you can get it on a trial period,i downloaded it and it's got a lot of posey little icons, but it's also got some tools,it was easy to read (even for me) and within five min's my icons and more importantly,in the computer world anyway, the programmes came back. Now i don't know if it will work for other people,but it's free as long as you get it on trial, and it took about five minutes to sort,so it's got to be worth a try. Oh yea, i soppose this will get edited out by some geek who perfers to shag his laptop,but why call the little badges or emblems or signs, ICONS, to me an Icon is something like a Crucifix or a Star and Crescent,not forgetting the old Hammer and Sickle !
    2012년 6월 17일 일요일 오전 6:26
  • I know this is an old thread and am too lazy to read all the way through, but I'll post my answer anyway.

I found my icons did that when I had moved all the Start Menu folders to the "All Users" Start Menu folder instead of just the normal user Start Menu folder. I moved them back, and boom, fixed.

2012년 7월 17일 화요일 오후 4:09
  • https://skydrive.live.com/?cid=51FD184CE863990B#cid=51FD184CE863990B&id=51FD184CE863990B%21373

I don't know how to change back the Microsoft Word icon to look like the normal one!

2012년 8월 16일 목요일 오전 7:47
  • This is exactly what's happening to me too! i.e. My .docx file's icons are not the normal ones! 

https://skydrive.live.com/?cid=51FD184CE863990B#cid=51FD184CE863990B&id=51FD184CE863990B%21373

2012년 8월 16일 목요일 오전 7:50
  • All the fixes mentioned above are not really going to fix the problem. The issue seems to stem from how Windows 7 handles the caching of icons. You need to increase the cache size and this should get rid of corruption:

2.5 years later . . . Perfect solution!
    2012년 9월 19일 수요일 오전 9:12
  • Had the same problem. Fixed it by logging off from my user account and then signing in using Administrator account and then copying C:\Users\Administrator\AppData\Local\IconCache.db

file to my user account corresponding file (notice that icons show correctly when logged in as Administrator account)

Then log off from Administrator account and log in to your user account

Farid Zidan
    Zidsoft http://www.zidsoft.com/

• 편집됨 Farid Zidan 2012년 9월 29일 토요일 오전 1:01
    2012년 9월 29일 토요일 오전 1:00
  • I am having also icon problems but now it is getting other icons  that are not microsoft wind
    2012년 9월 30일 일요일 오후 10:13
  • -Prem- 's solution worked for me. 

My symptoms:  In File Explorer I could not see the correct icons for any applications (e.g. Acrobat or Word or Excel and so on did not show their correct icons and were at some sort of default state so all of the icons looked the same).  I could however see the correct icons for the shortcuts to Outlook, Word, Excel etc. on my Taskbar.  I could not see the correct icons on my Word or Excel etc files on my Desktop.

I followed Prem's suggestions from October 28, 2011.  Certainly read his, or follow along as I took notes a bit differently that may make it easier for you.

Open File Explorer to see one of your corrupted icons. 

I right clicked on a file that had a corrupted icon (any file will do but mine happened to be an Acrobat file w/ a broken icon). 

Then I selected "Open with". 

Then "Choose Default Program". 

Then "Browse..." 

Then I found the program location file for Adobe Acrobat (on my Windows 7 64 bit system it was located here C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Acrobat 10.0\Acrobat). 

I clicked on Acrobat.exe,

then Open,

then OK.

Somehow the other icons that were broken showed up as well.  Voodoo?  Dunno, but it worked sweet.

Other solutions may work for other users but this worked for me.  It is worth a shot and is pretty low tech.

2012년 10월 23일 화요일 오전 10:07
  • I have had a icon problem for PDF files in Windows 7 from day one, for a about one year. Today the problem resolved itself. I have Chrome loaded and brought up a PDF file through a search in Google, opened it and went to save it. A Chrome window pulled up and I went to save it in my document file. When I opened my document file all the saved PDF's started to build icon images. Problem solved. Once the images are built, that's it. Hope this helps somebody. 
    2012년 12월 29일 토요일 오전 4:08
  • Thank you so much!  I've had the problem with one or two programs and couldn't fix it myself.  Pulling the shortcut directly from the .exe worked!

Jaime

2013년 1월 1일 화요일 오후 6:21

Regards, Premjeet Singh

The solution above is correct but is incomplete as the value "{90120000-0012-0000-0000-0000000FF1CE}" may change from installation to installation. So the find the exact folder name:

1. Open Registry Editor : regedit.exe
    2. I have taken the example of Excel icons missing. So Navigate to HKCR\AppId\EXCEL.EXE
    3. Look for the value for "Appid". For me the value was "{00020812-0000-0000-C000-000000000046}"  - this may be different for you. So note it down.
    4. No look for the value HKCR\CLSID\{00020812-0000-0000-C000-000000000046}\DefaultIcon (Change the Appid value to what you noted above).
    5. Find the value for "Default". For me it is : "C:\Windows\Installer\{90140000-0011-0000-0000-0000000FF1CE}\xlicons.exe,3"
    6. Now look for this location "C:\Windows\Installer\{90140000-0011-0000-0000-0000000FF1CE}\xlicons.exe" in your drive. If you already have it then it is a different issue for you and look for other solutions in this thread. If you do not have this folder, copy it from some other desktop and it should work.

Good luck :-)

• 답변으로 제안됨 sandyiitg 2013년 1월 25일 금요일 오후 5:52
    2013년 1월 25일 금요일 오전 11:53
  • I found this thread & discovered the installer folder was empty as in an earlier post but my solution was different

My error message on restoring an icon

Windows can't find the file
    %SystemRoot%\Installer\{xxxxxxxxxxetc...}\iconname.ico

"Installer" folder had no files.
    My solution is right click the "Installer" folder open "Restore Previous Versions" until there are files listed (the newest version), then select & copy all files to the "Installer" folder.

reboot restored all icons.

2013년 6월 9일 일요일 오전 8:02
  • This works for me. Great suggestion/
    2013년 8월 1일 목요일 오전 11:38

I used this one and it worked fine after trying a few others that did not , this was very simple and fast! Thanks MartaDelia

2014년 1월 29일 수요일 오전 12:34
  • How do you get rid of this overlay?

• 답변으로 제안됨 blon69 2014년 2월 8일 토요일 오전 2:03
    • 답변으로 제안 취소됨 blon69 2014년 2월 8일 토요일 오전 2:03
    • 답변으로 제안됨 blon69 2014년 2월 8일 토요일 오전 2:04
    2014년 2월 2일 일요일 오후 5:59
  • For restore MS office icon for windows 7, see answer from Premjeet Singh, MpDay Tuesday, April 17, 2012 7:14 AM

you can also download the 90120000* directories from here "chezmoi dk pub icon-cache.zip" (talk with a IT friend she will tell you what I mean) or get them from your other laptop.

It works for me at last. Thanks Premjeet

2014년 2월 8일 토요일 오전 2:12