none
Install Windows XP PRO on pre-installed Windows 7 Starter hard drive

질문

• I have just got a netbook which came with Windows 7 Starter. I want to install and use Windows XP PRO onto the hard drive but I do not want to loose Windows 7 Starter. 

I was told that I can install XP PRO onto the hard drive by using Hyper-V, is this true? And if so will the performance of XP PRO be less than having a normal installation? And if so how much less?

Or is there another way to do this?

2012년 2월 18일 토요일 오후 4:12

답변

• Hyper-V is not available on any Windows 7 edition.  It is available on Windows Server editions.  It will be available in Windows 8 when it is released late this year.  As far as I know, Windows Virtual PC, the Microsoft program which does run XP on your Windows 7 desktop, is not available for Windows 7 Starter edition.  There are other free third party virtualization solutions, such as VirtualBox and VMWare Player, but you'll have to check their webpages to see if they are supported on Starter.

Colin Barnhorst Windows 7 Ultimate x64 on DIY with 6GB ram.

• 답변으로 표시됨 GaryJacobs 2012년 2월 24일 금요일 오후 12:24
    2012년 2월 18일 토요일 오후 4:48
  • Hyper-V is currently only installable on Windows Server 2008 R2.  It will not install on any edition of Windows 7.  Any Virtual Machine will not perform as well as when installed directly on the hardware.  All Virtual Machines are software layers that translate some or most of the hardware functions; in essense XP run very slow on a netbook.

Windows Starter is not an appropriate foundation for any Virtual Machine and most netbooks don't have an appropriate CPU for virtualization support.

And, you may not be able to install XP on the netbook directly because of hardware limitations and lack of XP drivers and utility software.  You need a floppy drive for the storage drivers if the storage controller is not recognized by XP.

You need to do a lot of research on the internet before you decide to emabrk on this adventure.

Basically, netbooks are not intended for this type of use and you would most likely be very unhappy trying to run XP in a Virtual Machine on Windows 7 Starter.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”

2012년 2월 18일 토요일 오후 5:02
  • Hi,

Hyper-V is not available on any Windows 7 edition.
    If you want to install Windows XP Pro, I suggest you perform a clean install.  Because we don’t suggest you install Windows XP based on a Windows 7 operation sysytem.

Hope that helps.

2012년 2월 20일 월요일 오전 9:18
  • Exactly what you do depends on your specific make, model, and series netbook.

You will have to refer to the user manual or contact the manufacturer's Technical Support.

If your netbook has a Recover partition and Recovery option, then Windows 7 can be "re-installed" using the Recovery option.

You may be able to make a Windows 7 Recovery DVD or set of discs.

You can search the internet for an HDD imaging utility to image your hard drive.

You will have to weigh your options and decide what best suits your needs.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”

• 답변으로 표시됨 GaryJacobs 2012년 2월 24일 금요일 오후 12:25
    2012년 2월 22일 수요일 오후 3:54

모든 응답

• Hyper-V is not available on any Windows 7 edition.  It is available on Windows Server editions.  It will be available in Windows 8 when it is released late this year.  As far as I know, Windows Virtual PC, the Microsoft program which does run XP on your Windows 7 desktop, is not available for Windows 7 Starter edition.  There are other free third party virtualization solutions, such as VirtualBox and VMWare Player, but you'll have to check their webpages to see if they are supported on Starter.

Colin Barnhorst Windows 7 Ultimate x64 on DIY with 6GB ram.

2012년 2월 18일 토요일 오후 4:48
  • Hyper-V is currently only installable on Windows Server 2008 R2.  It will not install on any edition of Windows 7.  Any Virtual Machine will not perform as well as when installed directly on the hardware.  All Virtual Machines are software layers that translate some or most of the hardware functions; in essense XP run very slow on a netbook.

Windows Starter is not an appropriate foundation for any Virtual Machine and most netbooks don't have an appropriate CPU for virtualization support.

And, you may not be able to install XP on the netbook directly because of hardware limitations and lack of XP drivers and utility software.  You need a floppy drive for the storage drivers if the storage controller is not recognized by XP.

You need to do a lot of research on the internet before you decide to emabrk on this adventure.

Basically, netbooks are not intended for this type of use and you would most likely be very unhappy trying to run XP in a Virtual Machine on Windows 7 Starter.

2012년 2월 18일 토요일 오후 5:02
  • Hi,

Hyper-V is not available on any Windows 7 edition.
    If you want to install Windows XP Pro, I suggest you perform a clean install.  Because we don’t suggest you install Windows XP based on a Windows 7 operation sysytem.

Hope that helps.

2012년 2월 20일 월요일 오전 9:18
  • I am new to all this so thanks for all the help.

I have installed a Windows XP PRO on a netbook before. But I had to delete Windows 7 Starter from the hard drive and do a fresh install. I had to do a BIOS configuration change and install some extra XP hardware drivers, but every thing works very well.

But this time I want to keep the Windows 7 Starter and be able to use it at a later date. So is there a way in which I can transfer it anywhere or do anything else to save it?

2012년 2월 22일 수요일 오후 3:35
  • Exactly what you do depends on your specific make, model, and series netbook.

You will have to refer to the user manual or contact the manufacturer's Technical Support.

If your netbook has a Recover partition and Recovery option, then Windows 7 can be "re-installed" using the Recovery option.

You may be able to make a Windows 7 Recovery DVD or set of discs.

You can search the internet for an HDD imaging utility to image your hard drive.

You will have to weigh your options and decide what best suits your needs.

• 답변으로 표시됨 GaryJacobs 2012년 2월 24일 금요일 오후 12:25
    2012년 2월 22일 수요일 오후 3:54