none
Is there a shortcut key for rotating displays in Windows 7?

Pergunta

• I have Windows 7 Pro
    I run a dual screen setup. The second screen gets most use when I am editting photos.
    I have two graphics cards in my system so that each screen can run off its own graphics card.

Card 1) ASUS nVidia 7950GT
    Card 2) Gigabyte nVidia 9500

What I am hoping someone can tell me is a way I can setup a shortcut key in windows to rotate Display 2 into Portrait mode.

What I do is to work on the photo on Display 1 while having a full screen display of the photo on Display 2. This way if I am zoomed in etc on Display 1 I can easily see how those edits affect the image by looking at Display 2. It is really handy when working on a portrait image to rotate display 2 but it is annoying going into the display properties every 5 minutes that I change images and am therefore having to rotate the display again. I'm hoping there is some way that I can setup two shortcut keys or something of the like so that I can just hit those each time I want to change my display around.
    quinta-feira, 26 de novembro de 2009 11:08

Respostas

• Hi

The only way to change the screen orientation in Windows is to change the option in the Display properties. There is no shortcut key for this that I'm aware of.

I haven't installed an Nvidia card in awhile, but i do remember some of the older Nvidia software had a screen rotation option that could be changed with a keystroke or in the right click options on the Nvidia Notification area Icon.

Take a look at the following link.

NVRotate: Change Your Point of View

Hope this helps.

Thank You for using Windows 7

Ronnie Vernon MVP
    quinta-feira, 26 de novembro de 2009 18:16

Todas as Respostas

• Hi

The only way to change the screen orientation in Windows is to change the option in the Display properties. There is no shortcut key for this that I'm aware of.

I haven't installed an Nvidia card in awhile, but i do remember some of the older Nvidia software had a screen rotation option that could be changed with a keystroke or in the right click options on the Nvidia Notification area Icon.

Take a look at the following link.

NVRotate: Change Your Point of View

Hope this helps.

Ronnie Vernon MVP
    quinta-feira, 26 de novembro de 2009 18:16
  • I would love to agree with Mr. Vernon but I inadvertently experienced a shortcut to my display orientation happen just a few minutes ago (hence me looking for answers to this very question!)  My wife's cat jumped up on my laptop while I was doing something, sat on my keyboard and the screen rotated 90 degrees.  Cat moved, and it rotated again!  So there I was going through the settings to manually put it back.  So the answer is YES there is a shortcut.....the bad news is no one seems to know what it is!!  Continuing to search.....

-Glen
    quarta-feira, 23 de dezembro de 2009 04:16
  • Okay, I found it!! Woohoo!!  I can rotate my display screen by using ctrl-alt- and any of the arrow keys!  Wow, that was a painful search, it should not have been that difficult to find.  Hope that helps!

-Glen
    • Sugerido como Resposta Scout Pilot quarta-feira, 23 de dezembro de 2009 04:31
    quarta-feira, 23 de dezembro de 2009 04:31
  • Hi Scout

This is what I was referring to about systems with nVidia graphics. The nVidia Control Panel allows you to rotate the screen and the keyboard shortcut is what your cat inadvertently discovered. :)

See the following website for more information.

How To Rotate Your Monitor Screen Display

Hope this helps.

Ronnie Vernon MVP
    quarta-feira, 23 de dezembro de 2009 06:15
  • In Windows 7 if you want to disable this feature so that the cats cannot reorient your screen, do the following: To disable them, simply right click anywhere on your screen and select Graphics Options and then Hot Keys and then Disable.

Got this from

http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7desktop/thread/dce2db93-bb8c-43fc-88b3-334f522cacdc

tested it on a windows 7 laptop with intel graphics and this fix worked.

quinta-feira, 11 de março de 2010 01:31
  • I am using a Sony-Vaio VPCCW15FG latop with Windows 7 Home Premium, For Rotating the display the Nvidia control panel help window instructs " From the NVIDIA Control Panel navigation tree pane, under Display, click Rotate display to open the page". However settings window does not have any 'Rotate display' selection to choose. Any way out of this ?
    domingo, 28 de março de 2010 18:41
  • @Scout Pilot - Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

This post was such a lifesaver.  The same thing happened to me - only with the cat; I inadvertently did it to myself!  

The only other positive thing that came out of this experience was to realize how difficult tasks must be for the handicapped. I was so disorientd in trying to navigate it was nauseating.  So glad I found this forum and this post.

domingo, 27 de junho de 2010 21:53
  • Bless you!! My cat did exactly the same thing.  I couldn't figure out how I was going to explain that to anyone. It's like the dog eating the homework. Bless you!!
    domingo, 17 de outubro de 2010 03:29
  • thankyou , thankyou, thankyou. My wife just called me at 2am in the morning,,, her kitten had done exactly the same thing. She is currently visiting her mum 800km away.

AFTER i finished rolling on the floor laughing, I did a search and found this post...

:P

sexta-feira, 3 de dezembro de 2010 14:25
  • whats up with cats rotating displays these days?

Anyway, none of your solutions apply to anyone who doesn't have  nvidia graphics card, I dont understand why this topic is market as solved.

domingo, 5 de dezembro de 2010 22:50
  • It works for me. I have a netbook with an intel gfx chip.

Right Click on the desktop -> Graphics Options -> Hot Keys

You need to make sure 'Enabled' Is check. By default my asus netbook was set to disabled. As soon as I enabled it I could change the orientation with the ctrl-alt arrow keys mentioned above.

• Sugerido como Resposta McCodeWriter sexta-feira, 4 de fevereiro de 2011 16:04
    sexta-feira, 10 de dezembro de 2010 06:15
  • Glen are you me from the future? What happens in 2012? My cat did the same thing and here I ended. Thanks for the solution Scout Pilot!
    quinta-feira, 16 de dezembro de 2010 19:51
  • Try the FLAG+TAB key.  Flag being the Windows Shortcut Key, between the CNTL and ALT.

Hold the Flag key and keep hitting tab.

quinta-feira, 16 de dezembro de 2010 22:49
  • Erjoalgo,

In most cases, a graphics card manufacturer has a software control panel that you can use to control the Desktop orientation.  This is NOT specific to NVidia alone.  The "CTRL+ALT+ <arrow key> is synonomous to WIndows shortcut/hot keys and not related solely to the graphics card control panel provided by the manufacturer.  Many times, the manufacturer's graphics card control panel may even turn off those specific hot key/shortcut key combinations and they need to be manually turned back on by the user.

If the recommended shortcut keys do not work for you, try pressing the right CTRL key or the right shift key five times in rapid succession (less than 10 seconds).  You should receive a Windows pop-up explaining what you've done and asking you if you want to activate sticky keys or hot keys.

quinta-feira, 27 de janeiro de 2011 15:16
  • I have a ati radeon hd 5870, the ctrl ><^V doesnt work for me; it worked on vista with same gfxC manufacturer, but for whatever reason it won't work on windows 7. I have perused the control panel for a way to enable it but as of yet have been unsuccessful... if anyone might point the way to it I would be most appreciative.
    domingo, 6 de fevereiro de 2011 00:24
  • Thankyou, thankyou, thankyou! It was indeed a painful search as I had my head tilted all the way to the right, wondering what the heck I had pressed to make my screen rotate!!! Thankyou for the answer =)
    domingo, 13 de fevereiro de 2011 23:59
  • The shortcut keys are control+alt+arrow key(whatever direction you want to orient the screen. Unfortunately that is the same shortcut for manually kerning text in Adobe Illustrator. It scared me when monitor went blank and came back sideways when i was adjusting some text in the graphics program! This is a powerful tool in Illustrator so I am going to have to disable this function for the monitor.
    quinta-feira, 9 de junho de 2011 00:41
  • I have Windows 7 Home Premium with all the latest SP updates running on a SONY Vaio laptop with an external Dell monitor. The monitor rotates to portrait view, but I can't get the display to rotate. The Control + Alt + Arrow thing only makes everything flash about ten times, then it does back to normal. I found this screenshot saying that the Win7 software includes an option for display orientation: http://www.labnol.org/software/rotate-monitor-in-windows-7/8972/ but my display settings have no such button. So, what's up?

sábado, 9 de julho de 2011 17:35
  • This site shows an option under "adjust screen resolution," but my display settings no longer have that button either. I just have "resolution" and when you click it, there are sliders for different resolutions, with none of the choices shown here. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qTibg05K_80

Why do they keep changing it, and why is it so unintuitive?

• Sugerido como Resposta ACraig terça-feira, 14 de agosto de 2012 04:04
    sábado, 9 de julho de 2011 17:56
  • I would love to agree with Mr. Vernon but I inadvertently experienced a shortcut to my display orientation happen just a few minutes ago (hence me looking for answers to this very question!)  My wife's cat jumped up on my laptop while I was doing something, sat on my keyboard and the screen rotated 90 degrees.  Cat moved, and it rotated again!  So there I was going through the settings to manually put it back.  So the answer is YES there is a shortcut.....the bad news is no one seems to know what it is!!  Continuing to search.....

-Glen

LOL.  I went online to find the answer to this for the same reason.  My cat loves to be on the desk with me and he rolled right on to my keyboard and somehoe managed to hit the right combination of keys.  The next thing I knew I was looking at a sideways screen. Ha!  Thanks to this thread, I now have the answer, though. :)
    sábado, 20 de agosto de 2011 22:47
  • Maybe only some releases of Windows 7 has it... Ultimate and whatever version is used for tablets should have it
    terça-feira, 23 de agosto de 2011 23:56
  • Thanks Scout you are a life saver, I'm at work on a Sunday & there are no tech guys available and I have loads of typing to do. Thanks again

Katie x

domingo, 20 de novembro de 2011 13:12
  • Ctr+Alt+RightArrow (and you can go back with Ctrl+Alt+UpArrow)
    • Sugerido como Resposta Hanna Sokolov segunda-feira, 5 de dezembro de 2011 17:10
    segunda-feira, 5 de dezembro de 2011 17:09
  • I need a way to disable screen rotation with the <Crtl+Alt+Left Arrow> and <Crtl+Alt+Right Arrow> as these keys are already assigned in another app I use. The disable for the Intel drivers works fine, but my machine has both Intel and nVidia drivers. The nVidia offers no way to disable the original <Crtl+Alt+Left Arrow> and <Crtl+Alt+Right Arrow>. You can create additional key sequences that do the same thing, but you can't disable the original key sequences. HELP!

-Thanks

terça-feira, 20 de dezembro de 2011 21:11
  • Thank you verry much

quarta-feira, 28 de dezembro de 2011 03:38
  • My cat did the same, thanks for posting the solution!!!!!!
    quarta-feira, 18 de janeiro de 2012 12:45
  • That worked perfectly Scout Pilot, you're the man. Ctl, alt and up arrow key put me back in  business. Woohoo too.
    sábado, 11 de fevereiro de 2012 14:10
  • Thanks a lot Scout!

Best regards,

Mello

terça-feira, 21 de fevereiro de 2012 23:07
  • I need a way to disable screen rotation with the <Crtl+Alt+Left Arrow> and <Crtl+Alt+Right Arrow> as these keys are already assigned in another app I use. The disable for the Intel drivers works fine, but my machine has both Intel and nVidia drivers. The nVidia offers no way to disable the original <Crtl+Alt+Left Arrow> and <Crtl+Alt+Right Arrow>. You can create additional key sequences that do the same thing, but you can't disable the original key sequences. HELP!

-Thanks

I would also like an answer to this one?? the brainfart the made this keyboard shortcut should at least give us a way to disable it ..

domingo, 11 de março de 2012 09:23
  • Wow, great thanks!

//TJ

quinta-feira, 15 de março de 2012 20:02
  • Thanks, Glen!!!! :D my neck was starting to bother me... had a little accident lifing my laptop and ended up with a 90 degree left turned screen. You saved my day :)

Janne Cathrine

sábado, 7 de abril de 2012 08:07
  • My wife did the same thing on her XP netbook this evening. I found the answer here and used it successfully.

Instead of nVidia here graphics are an Intel driver. They have a similar tab (Display Settings) in the Graphics Properties but the tabs run vertically instead of horizontally. It also has the check box that enables the rotation and you can set the rotatation to 0, 90, 180, or 270 degrees. After clicking Apply, you must click OK for the change to become effective within 15 seconds (like you do when changing screen resolution).

I also found a tab for Hot Keys which has a check box to enable/disable the Ctrl+ Alt+ direction key. After unchecking the box and clicking OK I can no longer use the Hot Key to change the rotation. I can still change the rotation by changing it in the Display Settings tab of the Graphich Properties. Again you will have the 15 seconds to click OK for it to become effective.

Warning, if you use the Graphics Options choice (Click on the icon in the notification area / status bar, of the task bar) there is no 15 second delay, it is effective Immediately.

Also if you have a laptop or netbook with a glidepad instead of a mouse, it is difficult to control the mouse unless you connect an external mouse (wireless or corded).

Alan Craig

terça-feira, 14 de agosto de 2012 05:00
  • Do you work for Microsoft?

"The only way to change the screen orientation in Windows is to change the option in the Display properties. There is no shortcut key for this that I'm aware of."

There has always been a keyboard short cut for rotating the display.

sexta-feira, 28 de setembro de 2012 19:29
  • Some graphic devices do support a keyboard shortcut to rotate the screen, notably nVidia, enables the Ctrl+Alt+Arrow Keys.
    • Sugerido como Resposta Wasif K Niazi sábado, 29 de setembro de 2012 12:09
    sábado, 29 de setembro de 2012 11:57
  • CTRL+ ALT + ARROW KEYS

segunda-feira, 24 de junho de 2013 13:19