none
Administrator Rights

Pergunta

• I am testing an application in Windows 7. After installing the application, when opening the applcaiton in a normal end user login its giving me an error "This application needs Admin previliges to open". Is there any way I can use to fix this error.

Steps I did try to resolve - Under the Properties options of the Application --> In Compatability tab --> checked the option "Run this program as an Administrator" and also selected the same "Run this program as an Administrator" which is under "Change Settings for all user", I am still getting the same error when I run that application in the normal end user login.

Since I am trying this in the domain computer, is there a way to eliminate the ADMIN Previliges to open the application or is there is a way I can change the settings under client desktop. Pls let me know.

VT

• Editado mywindows quarta-feira, 10 de agosto de 2011 04:11 added
    quarta-feira, 10 de agosto de 2011 04:10

Respostas

• Hi,

Please try the suggestion provided by Noel. But actually we do not recommend to do that, it would be on your own risk. We recommend that you evaluate the risks that are associated with implementing this workaround in your particular environment.

The better way I can suggest is that you may contact the software publisher for assistance.

Best Regards
    Juke
    TechNet Subscriber Support in forum. If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    segunda-feira, 22 de agosto de 2011 02:35
    Moderador
  • @ Kunal - Yes I have given full control for every users who uses that application

On what?  Every file the application accesses?

There are system calls that may require Administrator privileges if that doesn't work.  Fixing that may require an application update or...

Way back when I was running a department full of Engineers I had IT give them all Administrator access to their own computers, and I took the time to train them to not screw things up.  They actually helped maintain their own systems and reduced the workload on IT.  Of course, these were computer-savvy people, but I just thought I'd mention it as an anecdote.

-Noel

domingo, 28 de agosto de 2011 22:43
  • Hi Juke & Noel,

My collegue & myself found a way to open application without admin previliges (in the host machine) using XPMode Virtual PC (as we can give admin priviliges to the end-users without joining the Virtual PC to the domain). I know its difficult in an environment where "UAC has been disabled & we cant give end-users the Admin priviliges" in the host system, XPMode Virtual PC is very helpful. It connected to the DB server...hope this will help who might have same scenario as mentioned above in this post.

VT
    • Marcado como Resposta mywindows domingo, 16 de outubro de 2011 00:47
    domingo, 16 de outubro de 2011 00:46

Todas as Respostas

• There is no way anyone could possibly diagnose this issue for you with any level of accuracy, because you haven't been specific about what application you're using.

You tried the right thing, assuming the error message was accurate.  When you did that, did you get a prompt to enter an administrator's username and password?

If so, and it still didn't work, that would say the error message was not actually accurate.

Don't take the "needs Admin privileges" error message at face value, but consider that it might be that it (for example) might be expecting something only available from an older operating system it was originally designed for, then you might be thinking in new directions that will help you reach a solution.  Again, it's impossible to give you any more specific advice without knowing more about the application.

-Noel

quinta-feira, 11 de agosto de 2011 00:52
  • Its one of the alarm panel software name - Compass version 2.0 (http://www.security.honeywell.com), I infact gave full permission for end users in the registry, still its erroring me it needs admin access to open the application. It is compatible with Windows 7. But never prompting me the box to enter adminuser and password. Any suggestions pls let me know.
    VT
    quinta-feira, 11 de agosto de 2011 02:13
  • Hi,

Thanks for the post.

This depends on this application itself. I assume that it cannot be fully compatible with the UAC of Windows 7.

You may launch this application as administrator manually via right-click context.

For detailed information, please access the following link.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb756886.aspx 

Regards,
    Juke
    TechNet Subscriber Support in forum
    If you have any feedback on our support, please contact  tnmff@microsoft.com.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    quinta-feira, 11 de agosto de 2011 07:44
    Moderador
  • If you are not being prompted, then you have not successfully given it Administrator privileges.  If you have configured the application to run as Administrator, UAC will prompt you to escalate privileges to the requested level (regardless of the application), unless you have turned off UAC entirely.

Have you disabled UAC?  If so, and your user is not privileged, then requesting the application to Run As Administrator will have NO EFFECT.

If you have NOT disabled UAC, have you specifically tried right-clicking the application and choosing Run As Administrator?

-Noel

quinta-feira, 11 de agosto de 2011 14:28
  • Yes UAC is been disabled using the Group policy. Is that the only solution to enable the UAC or is there any other work around?
    VT
    sexta-feira, 12 de agosto de 2011 04:26
  • Hi,

Based on my experience, if you do not want to disable UAC, you may hold down the shift button and right-click the application icon, then choose Run this applicaon as a different user=>Provide the admintrator's credential to run this application as administrative privilege.

Thanks.

Regards,
    Juke

sexta-feira, 12 de agosto de 2011 05:54
    Moderador
  • Yes UAC is been disabled using the Group policy. Is that the only solution to enable the UAC or is there any other work around?
    VT

I don't blame you; I disable it as well.

Gee, I HOPE there is NO workaround to a user needing proper permissions to access data - that's what security is all about!

You need to figure out exactly what folders and files (possibly also registry entries) the application needs Administrator level access to and grant nonprivileged users the access they need to those things.  Simple as that.  This is actually what most modern installers do.

Now, in determining what those locations are, you may find that the application is behaving badly (i.e., doing things it shouldn't be doing to things it shouldn't be doing them to).  That might call for an updated application.

-Noel

sexta-feira, 12 de agosto de 2011 22:40
  • Hi,

Any update?

Regards,
    Juke

terça-feira, 16 de agosto de 2011 02:36
    Moderador
  • Hi,

Thanks for posting in Microsoft TechNet forums.

As this thread has been quiet for a while, we assume that the issue has been resolved. At this time, we will mark it as ‘Answered’ as the previous steps should be helpful for many similar scenarios. If the issue still persists, please feel free to  reply this post directly so we will be notified to follow it up. You can also choose to unmark the answer as you wish.

BTW,  we’d love to hear your feedback about the solution. By sharing your experience you can help other community members facing similar problems. Thanks for your understanding and efforts.

Best Regards
    Juke
    TechNet Subscriber Support in forum. If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

quinta-feira, 18 de agosto de 2011 02:20
    Moderador
  • My apologies for the delayed response(as I got other issue to fix), I was using the PROCMON & got this output with "FILE LOCKED WITH ONLY READERS" ......... any suggestions....please let me know. (these are the few of several entries)

Date & Time: 8/12/2011 4:40:29 PM
    Event Class: File System
    Operation: CreateFileMapping
    Result: FILE LOCKED WITH ONLY READERS
    Path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Honeywell\Compass20\Exe\Download32.exe
    TID: 3716
    Duration: 0.0000016
    SyncType: SyncTypeCreateSection
    PageProtection: 

Description: n/a
    Company: Honeywell
    Name: Download32.exe
    Version: 20.14.0.2
    Command Line: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Honeywell\Compass20\Exe\Download32.exe"
    PID: 6172
    Parent PID: 6512
    Session ID: 3
    User: domain\uset1
    Auth ID: 00000000:01786e2d
    Architecture: 32-bit
    Virtualized: False
    Integrity: Medium
    Started: 8/12/2011 4:40:29 PM
    Ended: 8/12/2011 4:40:30 PM
    Modules:
    ntdll.dll 0x778f0000 0x1a9000 C:\Windows\System32\ntdll.dll Microsoft Corporation 6.1.7601.17514
    ntdll.dll 0x77ad0000 0x180000 C:\Windows\SysWOW64\ntdll.dll Microsoft Corporation 6.1.7601.17514

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Honeywell\Compass20\Exe\stamin32.dll
    Duration: 0.0000012
    PageProtection: 

Modules:
    ntdll.dll 0x778f0000 0x1a9000 C:\Windows\System32\ntdll.dll Microsoft Corporation 6.1.7601.17514
    ntdll.dll 0x77ad0000 0x180000 C:\Windows\SysWOW64\ntdll.dll Microsoft Corporation 6.1.7601.17514
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Honeywell\Compass20\DLL\Traces.tlb
    Duration: 0.0000013
    PageProtection: 

Modules:

• Editado mywindows quinta-feira, 18 de agosto de 2011 22:21 added
    quinta-feira, 18 de agosto de 2011 22:18
  • Hi,

Have you tried to grant the full control access to this users on these files? If not, please try it.

Also, I still suggest you to run this application as a different user which has administrative privilege for a workaround.

Best Regards
    Juke

sexta-feira, 19 de agosto de 2011 02:22
    Moderador
  • Thanks Juke for your reply. The main reason, i am trying to open as the regular end user is because that application will be installed in the end user computers which is joined in the domain. I can without any issues open the application in my admin account. Its only the regular end user accounts I am concerned with.

Additionally, I did give full control access to all the files in the location thats mentioned, but one that is mentioned below - I couldnt as it says "Unable to save permission changes on msado15.dll. Access denied"

Date & Time: 8/12/2011 4:40:30 PM
    Path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\System\ado\msado15.dll

Duration: 0.0000017
    PageProtection: 

Modules:

Please let me know if there is any solution I can try. Do you know what is the Registry path for msado15.dll?

VT
    • Editado mywindows sexta-feira, 19 de agosto de 2011 23:02 added
    sexta-feira, 19 de agosto de 2011 22:46
  • I'm not sure you're understanding the advice here...

You're not going to be able to run the application with elevated privileges without either a UAC prompt answered by an administrator EVERY TIME or the user being given administrator level privileges.  That's just how security works.

Therefore, you need to prepare each end-user system so that all of the files to be accessed by your application give the user permission to access them

This may be true (depending on the app) of registry key accesses as well.

If you, as an adminstrator, are unable to change file permissions on a file then you need to go read up on permissions and understand what you'll need to do to take ownership and grant the proper permissions.

-Noel

• Sugerido como Resposta Noel Carboni sexta-feira, 26 de agosto de 2011 11:26
    sábado, 20 de agosto de 2011 00:35
  • Hi,

Please try the suggestion provided by Noel. But actually we do not recommend to do that, it would be on your own risk. We recommend that you evaluate the risks that are associated with implementing this workaround in your particular environment.

The better way I can suggest is that you may contact the software publisher for assistance.

Best Regards
    Juke

segunda-feira, 22 de agosto de 2011 02:35
    Moderador
  • Hey I will try that & will let you know...
    VT
    quarta-feira, 24 de agosto de 2011 03:28
  • Based on my understanding, the UAC appears for the application to proceed with further execution.

I suppose this issue may also be caused due to incorrect NTFS permissions. Have you given Full Control to Domain Users from the Security tab?

@Noel & @Juke - Any opinions? Can this be due to misconfigured NTFS Permissions? Thanks!

Kunal D Mehta - a Windows Server Enthusiast.
    quinta-feira, 25 de agosto de 2011 18:40
  • Nope.  UAC has been disabled (see mywindows' Friday, August 12, 2011 4:26 AM post).  Thus there is no process for escalation available, and the user is non-privileged.

The only proper answer is to set the permissions on the files so that the user can access them.  If the files are in a system-wide location (opposed to user-specific) then the application is ill-behaved by modern standards and needs to be updated.

-Noel

• Sugerido como Resposta Noel Carboni sexta-feira, 26 de agosto de 2011 11:26
    quinta-feira, 25 de agosto de 2011 19:33
  • Hi mywindows,

Any update?

Best Regards
    Juke

sexta-feira, 26 de agosto de 2011 02:10
    Moderador
  • Nope not yet...still working on that....will surely keep you all updated as I know it will be helpfull for others as well.

@ Kunal - Yes I have given full control for every users who uses that application

VT
    sexta-feira, 26 de agosto de 2011 12:12
  • @ Kunal - Yes I have given full control for every users who uses that application

On what?  Every file the application accesses?

There are system calls that may require Administrator privileges if that doesn't work.  Fixing that may require an application update or...

Way back when I was running a department full of Engineers I had IT give them all Administrator access to their own computers, and I took the time to train them to not screw things up.  They actually helped maintain their own systems and reduced the workload on IT.  Of course, these were computer-savvy people, but I just thought I'd mention it as an anecdote.

-Noel

domingo, 28 de agosto de 2011 22:43
  • Hi mywindows,

Thanks for your update.

As Noel says, I also think the best way to make this application running with Standard privilege is to contact the software publisher for an update.

Since this issue need to ask for an update, I will mark my reply as "Answered". If you have further question about this, please feel free to let me know. You may also choose to unmark this thread.

Thanks for your understanding.

Best Regards
    Juke

terça-feira, 30 de agosto de 2011 09:52
    Moderador
  • Hi Juke & Noel,

My collegue & myself found a way to open application without admin previliges (in the host machine) using XPMode Virtual PC (as we can give admin priviliges to the end-users without joining the Virtual PC to the domain). I know its difficult in an environment where "UAC has been disabled & we cant give end-users the Admin priviliges" in the host system, XPMode Virtual PC is very helpful. It connected to the DB server...hope this will help who might have same scenario as mentioned above in this post.

VT
    • Marcado como Resposta mywindows domingo, 16 de outubro de 2011 00:47
    domingo, 16 de outubro de 2011 00:46
  • It's good that you've found a solution, but it sounds awfully convoluted!

Out of curiosity, why are you fixated on giving users privileges, rather than giving them specific permissions to access just the files they need to work with?  I can't see where that would need XP Mode to work.

-Noel

domingo, 16 de outubro de 2011 14:27
  • Its because of Security issue & moreover in XP Mode Virtual PC, we can give the end users the admin rights (as it will be like a local system in a domain joined host with private IP address) without affecting the security.....
    VT
    segunda-feira, 17 de outubro de 2011 22:11
  • Giving the user Administrator level privileges for accessing their Virtual machine doesn't seem all that different to me from giving them the same privileges for their physical machine. 

As you point out, it's like another local system...

I assume it's you who's going to maintain both their physical Windows 7 and virtual XP systems.  Clearly (because you don't give them such privileges for their host machine) you don't trust your users not to screw things up.  But you do trust them not to screw things up in the virtual XP environment?

Best of luck.  I hope you haven't multipled your work in the long run.

-Noel

segunda-feira, 17 de outubro de 2011 23:12
  • I hate to barge into a discussion that’s 4 months old but I thought that my problem is similar to the original posters.  

Same situation where we have users that need local administrator privilege to run certain programs on their windows 7 machines using Virtual XP mode. (Kronos and Oros) 

I'm having an issue with Windows XP Mode (windows 7 platform of course) where every time I install virtual xp mode on a user’s laptop or PC and try to add them to Administrator group through: computer management---> local users and groups---> Groups folder ---->Administrator........I cannot get their active directory user name to come up.

Onced logged into the virtual xp machine:

I've joined our domain and renamed the computer successfully  and logged in using our administrator domain credentials.

Once in the domain administrator account I try to add the user who’s going to be using the laptop to the local administrator group and the AD name does not come up.  I usually reboot the computer and keep repeating until finally the users AD name comes up and I'm able to add them to the local administrator group.     

Why is this happening? This happens often with Virtual XP mode, not just on one machince.

• Editado jrodrg quinta-feira, 23 de fevereiro de 2012 17:52 Clarification
    quinta-feira, 23 de fevereiro de 2012 16:12