none
Windows explorer crashing on new folder and right click

Pergunta

• Windows explorer crashes whenever I try to make a new folder or right click.  I have disabled every non microsoft context menu using SellExView but that did not help.  I think there is a way to get a stack trace and analyze it but I have no idea how to do that?  This problem is driving me nuts, please help!

Edit: Here are the problem details:

Source
    Windows Explorer
    Summary
    Stopped working
    Date
    ‎2/‎24/‎2012 8:07 PM
    Status
    Not reported
    Description
    Faulting Application Path: C:\Windows\explorer.exe
    Problem signature
    Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
    Application Name: Explorer.EXE
    Application Version: 6.1.7601.17567
    Application Timestamp: 4d672ee4
    Fault Module Name: sbdrop.dll
    Fault Module Version: 6.1.7600.16385
    Fault Module Timestamp: 4a5be032
    Exception Code: c0000005
    Exception Offset: 00000000000045b3
    OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.48
    Locale ID: 1033
    Additional Information 1: 8a94
    Additional Information 2: 8a948636fbc551570fa695adfb1f6e4a
    Additional Information 3: b277
    Additional Information 4: b277c3551cbb94ec4a68266aa54f6eba

• Editado Poohshoes sábado, 3 de março de 2012 22:30
    sábado, 25 de fevereiro de 2012 03:18

Respostas

• The Windows Explorer behavior when you use mouse or keyboard should be the same. The issue you described can be caused by third party programs or Windows Explorer add-ons.

You may boot in Clean Boot Mode to troubleshoot

How to troubleshoot a problem by performing a clean boot in Windows Vista or in Windows 7
    http://support.microsoft.com//kb/929135

If the issue occurs in Clean Boot Mode, you may use ShellExView. 

Important Note: Microsoft provides third-party contact information to help you find technical support. This contact information may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this third-party contact information.

Run ShellExView, in the pane sort the entries with manufacturers. Disable all non-Microsoft *.dll files, and check the result. If the issue does not occur, one of the files can be the culprit. We could narrow down it one by one.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”

segunda-feira, 27 de fevereiro de 2012 06:35
  • There are some good freeware tools for getting to the bottom of ill-behaving Shell Extensions and seeing what programs in general have been added to your system.  Check these out:

ShellExView:  http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/shexview.html

AutoRuns:  http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb963902

Both of these allow you to disable things.  You could, for example, systematically disable your non-Microsoft shell extensions until you find the culprit.  To be absolutely sure changes are recognized by Explorer, you'll want to log off and on again after making a configuration change and before testing.

-Noel

Detailed how-to in my new eBook: Configure The Windows 7 "To Work" Options

segunda-feira, 27 de fevereiro de 2012 19:08

Todas as Respostas

• Hi there, the first thing to do would be to open a command line and type       sfc /scannow

Windows will look for faults in it's critical file system and attempt to repair them whilst running live.

Failing that Windows 7 will allow you to carry out an 'in place upgrade' on top of itself and this has the same effect as XPs repair install.

domingo, 26 de fevereiro de 2012 04:49
  • I tried the sfc scannow and it did not fix the issue.  Would posting the log from it be of any help?
    domingo, 26 de fevereiro de 2012 17:52
  • The Windows Explorer behavior when you use mouse or keyboard should be the same. The issue you described can be caused by third party programs or Windows Explorer add-ons.

You may boot in Clean Boot Mode to troubleshoot

How to troubleshoot a problem by performing a clean boot in Windows Vista or in Windows 7
    http://support.microsoft.com//kb/929135

If the issue occurs in Clean Boot Mode, you may use ShellExView. 

Important Note: Microsoft provides third-party contact information to help you find technical support. This contact information may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this third-party contact information.

Run ShellExView, in the pane sort the entries with manufacturers. Disable all non-Microsoft *.dll files, and check the result. If the issue does not occur, one of the files can be the culprit. We could narrow down it one by one.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”

segunda-feira, 27 de fevereiro de 2012 06:35
  • There are some good freeware tools for getting to the bottom of ill-behaving Shell Extensions and seeing what programs in general have been added to your system.  Check these out:

ShellExView:  http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/shexview.html

AutoRuns:  http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb963902

Both of these allow you to disable things.  You could, for example, systematically disable your non-Microsoft shell extensions until you find the culprit.  To be absolutely sure changes are recognized by Explorer, you'll want to log off and on again after making a configuration change and before testing.

-Noel

Detailed how-to in my new eBook: Configure The Windows 7 "To Work" Options

segunda-feira, 27 de fevereiro de 2012 19:08
  • I had the same problem.. i simply changed the view from icons to list, and bingo! no problems thereafter..
    segunda-feira, 8 de julho de 2013 04:57
  • I had similar problem: Windows 7-creating new folder in windows explorer caused explorer crash.  Ran sfc /scannow, problem fixed.  Hoorah for this simple solution.

• Editado Rebecca Emerson domingo, 1 de setembro de 2013 16:32 Simplified text
    domingo, 1 de setembro de 2013 16:29