none
Boot Manager problems with Windows 7 + Windows 8 UEFI dual boot

Pergunta

• I am attempting to install both Windows 7 64-bit and Windows 8 64-bit on a GPT-formatted hard disk with UEFI enabled.  I can successfully install both operating systems in UEFI mode, with Windows 7 on the first partition and Windows 8 on the second partition.  After both installations are complete, I am able to see the Windows 8-style boot manager listing the two OSes.

I can choose Windows 8 and successfully boot into it.  Further, when Windows 8 is the default, the system will start it automatically after 30 seconds.

If I change the default to Windows 7, instead of starting the OS, the system reboots and enters what "could be" the traditional Windows 7 Boot Manager.  It is a text-mode display showing both Windows 7 and Windows 8, but with no timeout.  The computer will wait at this screen indefinitely until I choose an option, and this must be done every time I restart.

I am using a Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP motherboard with the latest BIOS, with UEFI boot enabled (and Microsoft Boot Manager selected).  The Windows installation DVDs are not able to repair the problem, whether it be the Windows 7 or the Windows 8 disc.

Any advice on how to proceed would be greatly appreciated.

quarta-feira, 19 de dezembro de 2012 17:58

Todas as Respostas

• If you go to "msconfig" and click on the BOOT tab you should see an option labeled "Timeout" and a count of how many seconds.  Try to modify that and see if it helps.  The second option is to right-click on Computer and go to Properties, from here click on Advanced System Settings on the left side and then go to Advanced tab and click on SETTINGS under Startup and Recovery.  You should see two options near the top stating "Time to display list of operating systems"

Be kind and Mark as Answer if I helped.

quarta-feira, 19 de dezembro de 2012 18:51
  • Thank you for the suggestion.  I have verified that the 30-second timeout is set both in msconfig and in the Advanced System Settings.  Even when the timeout is shown correctly in these settings, when the default is Windows 7, I still get stuck on the text-based Boot Manager screen with no countdown timer.

quarta-feira, 19 de dezembro de 2012 19:34
  • Hi,

I have no UEFI system for test. Anyway, please post your bcdedit result here.

TechNet Subscriber
    Support

If you are TechNet Subscription user
    and have any feedback on our support quality, please send your feedbackhere.

Juke Chou
    TechNet Community Support

quinta-feira, 20 de dezembro de 2012 08:48
    Moderador
  • Please find, below, the bcdedit output from Windows 7.  The output from Windows 8 is the same (with the exception of drive letters and placeholders), which leads me to believe they are both accessing the correct BCD.

Windows Boot Manager
    --------------------
    identifier              {bootmgr}
    device                  partition=\Device\HarddiskVolume1
    path                    \EFI\Microsoft\Boot\bootmgfw.efi
    description             Windows Boot Manager
    locale                  en-US
    inherit                 {globalsettings}
    default                 {current}
    resumeobject            {b6fc9092-4add-11e2-bbe6-9e7f45fdff77}
    displayorder            {b6fc9093-4add-11e2-bbe6-9e7f45fdff77}
                            {current}
    toolsdisplayorder       {memdiag}
    timeout                 30

Windows Boot Loader
    -------------------
    identifier              {b6fc9093-4add-11e2-bbe6-9e7f45fdff77}
    device                  partition=E:
    path                    \Windows\system32\winload.efi
    description             Windows 8
    inherit                 {bootloadersettings}
    recoverysequence        {b6fc9094-4add-11e2-bbe6-9e7f45fdff77}
    recoveryenabled         Yes
    custom:16000060         Yes
    custom:17000077         352321653
    osdevice                partition=E:
    systemroot              \Windows
    resumeobject            {b6fc9092-4add-11e2-bbe6-9e7f45fdff77}
    nx                      OptIn
    custom:250000c2         1

Windows Boot Loader
    -------------------
    identifier              {current}
    device                  partition=C:
    path                    \Windows\system32\winload.efi
    description             Windows 7
    inherit                 {bootloadersettings}
    recoverysequence        {b6fc9090-4add-11e2-bbe6-9e7f45fdff77}
    recoveryenabled         Yes
    osdevice                partition=C:
    systemroot              \Windows
    resumeobject            {b6fc908e-4add-11e2-bbe6-9e7f45fdff77}
    nx                      OptIn

Thank you!

• Editado Jordon Wees quinta-feira, 20 de dezembro de 2012 21:23
    quinta-feira, 20 de dezembro de 2012 21:20
  • Hi,

I tested the settings on a dual boot box. But I havenot encountered the same problem. Maybe you could try to rebuild BCD for a test.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927392 

Juke Chou
    TechNet Community Support

segunda-feira, 24 de dezembro de 2012 07:49
    Moderador
  • Hi,

Please refer to the following articles to know more details about rebuiding BCD.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927392

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927391?wa=wsignin1.0

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

terça-feira, 25 de dezembro de 2012 08:40
  • Hi,

Any updates?

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

sexta-feira, 28 de dezembro de 2012 09:06
  • Ruby,

Rebuilding the BCD on the original failing system did not make a difference.  I believe this may be an artifact of this particular BIOS, so I am trying a slightly different motherboard from the same manufacturer.  I will post an update next week once testing is complete.  Thank you!

sexta-feira, 28 de dezembro de 2012 19:17
  • This same dual-boot configuration works without issue on an Intel Desktop motherboard.  At this time I'm uncertain whether there is a compatibility issue with the Gigabyte BIOS or if it is some other hardware/software glitch.

I am able to take the HDD from the successful installation (which counts down as expected when Windows 7 is the default OS) and move it to the Gigabyte system, at which point the countdown does not start.

When the Windows Boot Loader screen appears, there is no number even implying that a countdown should occur.  This is difficult to understand -- I know that there is a timeout value in the BCD and I can see the value in either OS.

Further, when the default OS is set to Windows 7 and the Boot Manager prompt is disabled (via Advanced System Settings or bcdedit), the Boot Manager still appears and waits indefinitely for user input.

quinta-feira, 3 de janeiro de 2013 21:45
  • Hi Jordon,

You wrote: I can successfully install both operating
    systems in UEFI mode, with Windows 7 on the first partition and Windows 8 on
    the second partition.

But I can´t!

Could you please provide me how to install Windows 7
    64 bit on a PC that already has Windows 8 64 bit preinstalled?

I have also a GPT-formatted hard disk with UEFI BIOS
    but I get the error message that windows can´t install Windows 7 on the disk because it is a GPT-formatted hard disk.

I don´t understand this because it is a GPT-formatted hard disk with Windows 8 on it!

I can´t change the hard disk to MBR format because I will lose Widows 8 and all other partitions.

In the BIOS for the ´storage dives Boot´ option I selected : only UEFI, I could also select the option ´first UEFI´ but it doesn´t
    change the failure of installing Windows 7.

Thanks, Sia

sexta-feira, 22 de fevereiro de 2013 16:02
  • You can't do it that way.  Why don't you just run Windows 7 in Hyper-V on Windows 8?

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ” How to ask a question that is fixable.

sexta-feira, 22 de fevereiro de 2013 16:40
  • How do you mean by saying I can´t do it that way?

Jordon did it!

sexta-feira, 22 de fevereiro de 2013 18:38
  • Sia,

If you're getting a message that you can't install on a GPT-formatted hard disk, it's possible that you have the wrong version of Windows 7.  Are you trying to install from a Win 7 32-bit disc?  The second possibility is that you did not boot from the DVD in UEFI mode.  If you boot from a Win 7 64-bit DVD in regular BIOS mode, it won't let you install to a GPT disk.

When you start up your computer, press the hot key for Boot Device Selection (usually one of the F-keys).  If you have UEFI working and the DVD is in the drive, you should see an option for "UEFI -- DVD-ROM" or something like that -- pick that one.  From there, Windows Setup should let you install on a GPT disk.  If you're missing the UEFI DVD option, you may need to change some settings in your BIOS to enable UEFI on removable media.

The official recommendation is to install from oldest (Win 7 64-bit) to newest (Win 8 64-bit), and I support this recommendation... so no promises of success if you do it the other way around!  You may break your UEFI boot loader, and there's no guarantee that Boot Repair will fix it.  Be careful!

sexta-feira, 22 de fevereiro de 2013 19:16
  •  if you do it the other way around!  You may break your UEFI boot loader, and there's no guarantee that Boot Repair will fix it. 

In that casse I have to leave it because I don´t have Windows 8 on DVD, it is an OEM preinstalled.

so I can´t remove Windows 8, install Windows 7 first and then install Windows 8.

I am going to look what ´run Windows 7 in Hyper-V on Windows 8´ means!

sexta-feira, 22 de fevereiro de 2013 20:11
  • To install Win 7 on GPT with UEFI firmware you have to:

1. Disable Secure Boot

2. Enable BIOS emulation (SCM) ( so you have UEFI and BIOS boot options at the same time )

3. Boot Win 7 installation media using UEFI boot ( either DVD or FAT32 formatted USB ) 

domingo, 17 de março de 2013 13:45
  •  if you do it the other way around!  You may break your UEFI boot loader, and there's no guarantee that Boot Repair will fix it. 

In that casse I have to leave it because I don´t have Windows 8 on DVD, it is an OEM preinstalled.

so I can´t remove Windows 8, install Windows 7 first and then install Windows 8.

This is what I meant by you can't do it that way.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ” How to ask a question that is fixable.

segunda-feira, 18 de março de 2013 21:18

I am going to look what ´run Windows 7 in Hyper-V on Windows 8´ means!

Installation of Windows 7 on UEFI/GPT when Windows 8 already there is without problem.

Windows 8 boot related files are placed on EFI System partition and for Windows 7 just a new entry in BCD is added. The important thing when installing is to boot installation media the UEFI way !!

Tested and working.

1. The graphical boot menu depends on dll files from Windows system directory (Windows\System32) - Windows 7 does not have these dll's - they are new in Windows 8, so fall back to text style boot menu.

2. The rebooting when Windows 7 is selected is needed because Windows 8 does a preloading when

element

custom:250000c2  is set to  1   (=BootMenuPolicy is set to Standard)

Try setting bootmenupolicy to legacy (=0) for Windows 8 loader.

bcdedit can do - see how to set text or metro style boot menu in Windows 8.

Visual BCD Editor works with UEFI on Windows 7

(on Windows 8 gives wrong message to reload BCD and cannot display objects without a description)

YOU SHOULD CREATE A REPAIR CD/DVD FROM YOUR WINDOWS 8 INSTALLATION !

see for example:

http://www.ghacks.net/2012/11/01/how-to-create-a-windows-8-system-repair-disc/

• Editado BoYans terça-feira, 2 de abril de 2013 22:26 added link for repair disk
    terça-feira, 2 de abril de 2013 22:20
  • When installing Windows 7, while Windows 8 is already installed, turn secure boot off, make sure that uefi and CSM is enabled, CSM is the compatibility mode for Windows 7/xp,  operating systems to be able to install and run on a GPT  disk.  Then select DVD to boot first so that you can install.  Once installed, you will be able to boot into either, but will always have to go into bios to disable secure boot, because as I have found out, you can't use Windows 7 while secure boot is enabled, don't know why Micro$oft wouldn't make Secure Boot backward compatible for their own operating systems.
    sexta-feira, 12 de abril de 2013 15:00
  • I have encountered this problem too on a fujitsu machine. Had Microsoft support working on it for several hours including reinstalling both operating systems from scratch - still no fix. Conclusion was there is an incompatibility with the BIOS. No BIOS update is available, both PC manufacturer and seller were uninterested so am still stuck with the issue.
    terça-feira, 29 de outubro de 2013 15:25