none
Can I revert back to WMP 11 in Windows 7? WMP 12 is a broken piece of BETA quality software.

Discussão Geral

• First let me say that I am not a Microsoft hater or I wouldn't have upgraded all 3 of my home computers to Windows 7.  However I am having major usability issues with the default media applications which I have paid for and expected to be able to use. I have not experienced any other major problems with Windows 7, but this is bad enough for me. I have been using my system to stream media files (mostly music) to a D-Link Windows Media Center extender. Everything was working properly (albeit a bit buggy) with Windows Vista and WMP 11. Now that I've upgraded to Windows 7 x64 I cannot get WMP 12 to load my mp3 library of approximately 450 GB. It keeps trying and trying and dominating my system resources only to "unwind" and lose all the library info. I had this problem and reported it while using the RC, but was hoping it would be resolved by the official release. I guess I was too hopeful and now I need to get this fixed. I would be more than willing to uninstall WMP 12 and install WMP 11 if it is possible...of course, I'd also be happy if Microsoft could fix WMP 12 too.
    domingo, 8 de novembro de 2009 04:39

Todas as Respostas

• There are no 'supported'  procedures for doing that.  A number of people have reported success at getting WMP11 to work in Windows 7, however:

http://tinyurl.com/y8zh67r

Although I personally dislike WMP12 severely, and have to wonder if the design/interface/feature changes were dreamt up by a drunken, rabid monkey with a learning disorder, I'd definitely NOT try any of the procedures mentioned on anything but a 'test box' machine initially. 
    domingo, 8 de novembro de 2009 06:52
  • Techwrighter Here! Here! for saying that...LoL!!

One question, "Why would microsoft release a buggy windows media player 12?" You can't (at least I can't) play a simple video file such as MPEG, AVI, WMV, DVD, ect without the windows media player 12 crashing. I really wish I could downgrade to Windows Media Player 11 which really works great! in vista, So I can install Windows 7 and enjoy the Operating System.

I just had to reinstall vista on 4 of my computers, lots of countless hours and hours of installing Windows 7 and then reinstalling vista.

Now, I have 4 copies of the retail version of windows 7 that doesn't work right, what waste of hard earned money.

domingo, 8 de novembro de 2009 21:47
  • As much as I dislike the new version of WMP, I must say that I haven't experienced it 'crashing' when playing media files.  I've used it with libraries which include hundreds of gigabytes of music and videos, in various file formats, and it has played all without issue.

If you are experiencing 'crashes' then the cause will be a different problem on your machine, not an inherent 'flaw' within the Media Player app itself!  It's (IMO) poorly designed, but it DOES work!
    domingo, 8 de novembro de 2009 22:00
  • As much as I dislike the new version of WMP, I must say that I haven't experienced it 'crashing' when playing media files.  I've used it with libraries which include hundreds of gigabytes of music and videos, in various file formats, and it has played all without issue.

If you are experiencing 'crashes' then the cause will be a different problem on your machine, not an inherent 'flaw' within the Media Player app itself!  It's (IMO) poorly designed, but it DOES work!

I'm only having crashing problems with Windows Media Player 12, nothing else. Plus, I have built 4 new computer systems with all perfectly matched devices designed for Windows 7 (design logo is on all devices I have). All 4 systems do have the same issue, just with the Windows Media Player 12. And NO it DOESN'T work in ALL 4 systems I have. 

Hmmm, I wouldn't be posting the issues with windows media player 12 here if I didn't have the issue.
    domingo, 8 de novembro de 2009 23:57
  • Not saying that you aren't experiencing crashes, friend, or that the crashes experienced might not only manifest in WMP.  Just saying that they won't be an inherent 'flaw' of the app which would thus necessarily be experienced by everybody using it.  Instead, they'll relate to a different problem on your particular system, and that if that causal problem is resolved then they'll go away.

For example, if you have corrupted DivX avi files on the system it can not only detrimentally impact on Media Player.  If 'preview' is enabled in Explorer the presence of those files can cause Explorer to crash as well.  Get rid of the problem files and the problem goes away. 
    segunda-feira, 9 de novembro de 2009 00:15
  • Kinda quiet in here...no MS people have any clue??? I guess not or we wouldn't be hanging around here looking for fixes, LOL.
    terça-feira, 10 de novembro de 2009 04:56
  • Yes, we do not recommend our users to downgrade to WMP 11 and currently there is no official method to do so. However, your valuable feedback regarding the latest Windows Media Player is appreciated and I will record this to our internal tool.

For WMP 12 crash issue, have you installed any third party codec packages? You can temporarily remove them and see the result. Till now, I have not encountered such WMP crash issue on my computer.
    Sean Zhu - MSFT
    terça-feira, 10 de novembro de 2009 05:50
  • WMP 12 is WORSE than beta, as all it does is remove capability from the previous version, WMP 11, which was great.  I have tried for 2 days to build my music library from scratch after "upgrading" from Vista, and my library will not build.  I have about 30k tracks, WMP 11 handled it fine.  I am totally frustrated and PO'd.  Really thinking of wiping my system and returning to Vista.  WMP 12 never crashes, it just hangs on library update, and cannot be killed (not even with Task Manager) except by logging off.  I have no clue what to do to rebuild my library.  No support available.  This forum is useless.  Why there is no WMP 11 library importer is a great mystery.  That was really a brain-dead mistake.  I'm using WMP 12 build 12.0.7600.16415 on Win7 HP x64.

What is all this about Win7 being a huge improvement over Vista?  My McAfee anti virus is incompatible with Win7, so I am to some extent unprotected as well.  This sucks.
    terça-feira, 10 de novembro de 2009 06:12
  • I gave up on Windows Media Player 12 the program is totally useless, for the crashing I meant the program hangs alot very time I play a simple mpeg video file. I love WMP 11 it worked great for everything you throw at it. I really do love Windows 7, but, the Windows Media Player 12 is ____...just my option.

I spent more money to get better video players that can handle all video file playing, such as MPEG, WMV, AVI, DVD, DVD-A, BD Retail, BD-R, BD-RE, CD Audio, MP3 and many many others.

On another note, I've tried so many different ways to try to get Windows Media Play 12 to work right, from not installing no codec packages to one at a time...no go the program hangs period.
    terça-feira, 10 de novembro de 2009 16:02
  • Well I've had enough, WMP12 has just coastered 4 more CD's.  I mean seriously CD burning is really not very difficult, free apps under a 1MB can do.  Windows 7 has no problem burning data to CDs from the shell, WMP12 crashes like a drunken teenager.  On the plus side I am having a serious WINAMP revival on my machine now, I'm probably just going to buy a pro copy and let it do my CD burning as well.

Doesn't solve my problems on the media PC, but I think I am just going to have to revert to Vista (did I really say that!) but hey on the Media PC all I use it for is Media Centre and if it takes WMP11 and vista to make that work properly then so be it.

I really think it is time MS released an official way to rip out WMP12 and put WMP11 back in.  Windows 7 is fantastic, but WMP12 really lets it down, especially if your using it as a media PC only, WMP12 is pretty much the heart of it and your a bit stuffed with WMP12.

To date I can't get my media centre PC to fill the library with all my files, i can't get it to play certain DivX files in Media Center with or without extra codecs (although it will play them in bot 32 and 64 bit media player apps!   go figure!

Please please please MS give us a way to remove WMP12 until it is actually a stable and useable piece of software.
    sábado, 21 de novembro de 2009 14:44
  • @Gary Martyn

You are so right on the money about WMP 12, I'm done with Windows 7 and the countless hours I've spent dealing with the WMP 12 issues. Why can't a end-user simply uninstall WMP 12 and have a choice to install WMP 11. Also, People on here think it's my computer system (which is fully Windows 7 ready) causing the problem that I'm having. When having vista and WMP 11 installed on the same system worked fine.

Why Oh Why can't Microsoft give us end-users a choice to what WMP version we want?

Also, I've tried the windows 7 and WMP 12 on 8 differrent computer systems that are fully  Windows 7 ready, same issue. The WMP 12 freezes. It's NOT my ram memory (I've got plenty of that) or video card or processor, all are high-end devices.

I just revert back to vista and using WMP 11 and are working great! and Awesome! ...end of sleepless nights and headaches. I will keep using vista until the end of life of the OS.

domingo, 22 de novembro de 2009 20:01
  • @Gary: There already is an easy way to remove WMP12 using the Turn Windows Features On or Off control panel. :)

Regardless: What's the crash dump for the crash you mention?  Event Viewer will have a general view of the data from that - if you can't find or create a DMP file, the Event Viewer data for that crash should potentially be useful.

If it's a hang, use Task Manager, go to the Processes tab and select "Create Dump File" for the wmplayer.exe process and then upload that DMP file to a file hosting site so it can be looked at.

What's the specific profile of those "DivX" files?  "DivX" is a grossly generic term indicating all sorts of junk.  What actual and specific codec profiles are being used in those problematic files?  Generally speaking you wouldn't need "extra codecs" to play historical "DivX" files anyways.  And of course: it's hard to comment meaningfully without seeing a precise example of the type of content that's giving you trouble.  So a related test file or URL showing your issue might be helpful. Or: the file profile as provided by any one of the AVI file inspection / codec inspector tools. :)
    segunda-feira, 23 de novembro de 2009 01:42
  • Quite right. I just recently moved away from other softwares to WMP11 because it seemed FINALLY it had some nice features (MICROSOFT, ADD "SPACE" TO PLAY/STOP IMMEDIATLY ... WHATS UP WITH CTRL+P?, or even better, a "change shortcuts" pane would make my trust on Ms return).

And now Im stuck with W7 and this BETA software? what was that, really? I would love to see it actually WORKING.

I have only 4k musics and its still ____ to organize them under WMP12, here is WHY:

1. If I rename/delete a song, it WON'T get updated on WMP12
    2. After you restart WMP12 by ordering it to rebuild the library, it will simply ADD the new files, but the OLD files stay there .. you can't play them, since THEY DON'T EXIST!
    3. YOU CANNOT REMOVE A FILE THAT NO LONGER EXISTS FROM THE LIBRARY ... seriously, WAS WMP12 TESTED AT ALL?

So, if you add 1+2+3 and you like to organize your files manually, like a computer user and not a wizard addict who can't open explorer, you get where I got: WMP12 would list 5 (that's FIVE) times the same song, 4 would get a small "i" on the left saying the file was not available or something. I could not delete them (remove would do NOTHING). Since there is no easy way to tell WMP12 to clean up the mess, I figured a tentative way: just keep double-clicking a file that does not exists, and after so many fails it will pop up saying something about "too many files cannot be found, do you want to clean up the library from files that are not available?" (how mad was I to start clicking it away?)

YES PLEASE I thought! ... progress bar ... and there I go ...

NO CHANGE!

Back to winamp ...
    sexta-feira, 27 de novembro de 2009 06:10
  • So is there a patch coming out to fix this issue?

I find it hard to believe that no regression testing was done before this software was released. A new software release should not remove capability.

sexta-feira, 27 de novembro de 2009 16:43
  • Microsoft has sent zachd (who must be some sort of expert in psychological counseling services) to help us come to terms with the loss of the Windows Media Player.
    It's no good for Microsoft if the press comes and peeks at these forums at the moment so they must pretend there is some kind of response to all the complaints.
    The plain english version of the story is: we are ****ed. WMP12 is the way it is and there is nothing they want to do about. Microsoft prefers if we use another program, so we can go away and stop complaining here.
    sábado, 28 de novembro de 2009 17:36
  • So is there a patch coming out to fix this issue?

I find it hard to believe that no regression testing was done before this software was released. A new software release should not remove capability.

For what specific issue?

Microsoft has sent zachd ...
    Oh god no.  Please don't misrepresent me. :)  I'm here on my own time on my own behalf speaking for myself only and in no way represent nor speak for MS.  The other people with MSFT in their name might be from support: I'm certainly not from support and I'm certainly not from "PR" or anybody else who might be vaguely qualified or competent to speak for MS.  I have a hard enough time speaking for myself. :)

You know how maybe you watch TV or play WoW or do something else online with your free time?  I try to use my free time doing pro bono tech help as possible.  :)

It's no good for Microsoft if the press comes and peeks at these forums at the moment so they must pretend there is some kind of response to all the complaints.
    I can't speak for anyone else, but I am absolutely not providing any kind of "Microsoft" response to any issue whatsoever.  I'm just little old me, trying to help people and in turn benefit from their insight, as I have for the past long long while.  I personally think these forums are pretty horrible, but -- I'm trying to add a little value to people's computing experience through using my own time and energy.  Miscasting me as representing MS is unfair to the both of us.  The "MSFT" is my online "name" because it's required to by the "Microsoft standards for participation in online communities" or such for MSFT employees.  That's it.  I apologize if that's confusing to you.  Assume I'm a janitor there and we'll all be happier. ;)
    sábado, 28 de novembro de 2009 21:00
  • I have finally gotten WMP12 to import my entire library. I had my library cataloged with an alphabetical folder structure and I was able to add a letter at a time until complete.

The only problem is getting the extenders (XBox 360 & D-Link DSM-750) to load the library successfully. I was able to use these extenders with Vista and libraries loaded up easily. They only go through the same process that WMP12 did when I tried to add entire mp3 folder to library...they spend 1-3 hours loading artist/album info, only to choke, gag and spit out everything until there are no artists/albums in library at all.  If I didn't have extenders I would just give up on MS media products, but I'm pretty well stuck with it.

The CPU usage and memory usage levels are maxed out for hours and then nothing! I am so aggravated right now it's not even funny. MS designed a pretty slick looking new Media Center but I have not even been able to enjoy it for a single minute!!!  Hours of wasted time trying to jimmy this and tweak that because MS can't be bothered to develop and troubleshoot their OWN software properly.

Windows 7...it will be SO MUCH BETTER...NO BUGS LIKE VISTA, EASY...SIMPLE...FAST....................BULL$$HIT

MS...YOU LIED or GOT REALLY LAZY WITH MEDIA DEVELOPMENT.......IT IS BROKEN and WE WANT IT FIXED!!!!!!!

I'm really thinking of looking into a MAC...(DID I JUST SAY THAT???)  I hate Macs so WIN7 must be pretty bad :(

apologies for rant, but I am so pi$$ed right now :)

Bill Gates....wake the ____ up and crack the whip before you lose even more users!!!!!
    sábado, 28 de novembro de 2009 21:35
  • This one works.  It solved everything.  Downgrade to WMP 11.  I haven't had any problem with this downgrade whatsoever. Get rid of the WMP 12 until MS fixes that thing.  It really drove me crazy.  Here's the link.  It really works.  http://www.blogsdna.com/2409/downgrade-windows-media-player-12-to-wmp-11-on-windows-7.htm .  Now I'm happy.

James

sábado, 28 de novembro de 2009 22:10
  • OK,

So..  I'm a big fan of Windows 7, and LAUGHED at a friend who said MP12 didn't work for him...  I said "You must be doing something wrong...", but then I installed the released version on my main workstation at home (64 bit Ultimate on Dual Core Athlon 64x2 3800+ with 2 gigs of RAM) and my media player wont play ANY video..  Not even the included sample "Wildlife in HD"... 

Doesn't crash, just plays the audio as if it were a .wav file instead of a video...

I've got a GeForce 6200 based card, which admittedly isn't the best or newest card around, but I'd think it should at least be able to show a movie!!  (It did under XP MCE!!)

This is a brand new, clean install, and prior to having this problem, I hadn't installed anything related, except perhaps itunes...

Anyone have any ideas??

-Steve
    terça-feira, 1 de dezembro de 2009 02:12
  • Why not create a new thread instead of bumping this old not really related one with a new tangent?  Mods need and ability to split threads off into their own threads and/or lock threads, if they don't have it.  (I'm not a mod, just think that "catch-all" threads tend to lose data.)

Check the results of dxdiag first.  Which exact driver version for your GeForce?  Does nVidia have a newer driver version on their site?

What types of videos fail to play?  Do MPEGs work?  Do other WMVs work? "Wildlife in HD" is WVC1 in WMV.  Potentially a little high-end for an older system, but should work.
    terça-feira, 1 de dezembro de 2009 02:26
  • Zachd,

I have had many complaints from Transcription houses that have recently updated to Windows 7.   The Render Engine in WMP-12 can not handle Random Access in WMV indexed files.  These files work fine on the same machine when booted into XP running WMP-10.  These files are WMV-9 encoded 320x240 with indexing turned on.

So they are not taxing the hardware in any way which is a 6 core AMD with ATI Radeon 4230 drivers.  Stock windows 7 Home professional install.

The files play fine from the beginning and can pause and restart, but moving to any other point in the video file results in audio playback with frozen video frame or black.

Eventually if you let it play long enough the Video render engine will resume sync video playback after between 10 seconds to 1 minute.   The render engine in WMP-10 can handle moving back using the Tracker or Bookmarks and resume playing in 1 to 5 frames.   WMP-12 takes 10 seconds to 1 minute to resume sync video playback on the same file anytime you move more than a fraction of a second in either direction using random access.  THIS IS A MAJOR PROBLEM.

Transcription houses that use WMP or embeded Windows Media Player to play video files for transcription can not use this version at all.

They must revert to Windows XP unless there is some easy way to revert to an earlier version of WMP on windows 7.    Or they need to Fix the Render Engine on WMP-12 so Random Access works so one can repat a section you just viewed without starting the Video file from the Beginning.

---Courtney

quinta-feira, 15 de julho de 2010 00:20
  • Why Windows Media 11 or 12 not nice as 10 or 9

Many people like me have a huge library of songs, and WM9/10 was best for these features. It was so easy to mange songs and create a quick list for listening songs specially now playing list in which adding a removing was so easy.

I used to fill details of the songs in ADVANCE EDITING TAG, (id3 tag) details like album art, title, artist, album, composer, lyrics writer, mood, group, genre (mostly were my own specified due to many languages titles) added synchronized scrolling lyrics, album artist (orchestra and band), label, year (IN ALL SONGS MENU COLUMN CAUSE THIS OPTION WAS NOT AVAILABLE) comments, language, and few column more for my references, these all  helped even to manage library in Cell Phone and IPod easily. Means it was peace of mind but the new one mess up so much that one can’t enjoy the music library.

But in new windows media 12 these I can’t find even I tried 11 once before 2 years back and didn’t like that either and restored 9. But this time I got Win7 which only allows WM12 version or WM11, I found 1 link to install 10 but I failed to do so.

If someone can help me to install old version please tell me.

I found many people feels same so spread the message all over the web so that anyone thinks the same will also join us and force them to include the things of old in new player, paste it in other forums too.

Same goes for win live messenger beta, old one was better cause when i close it, it comes back again and it dont remember my name for signing in, had to save password for that which i dont want to do

domingo, 25 de julho de 2010 23:08
  • You might want to take a look at the Windows Media Player Plus! plug-in, which includes a replacement for the Advanced Tag Editor.

If you still want WMP 10 on Windows 7, you could try installing it in XP Mode (I'm not sure if that will work, but WMP 11 definitely will).

Tim De Baets
    http://www.bm-productions.tk
    segunda-feira, 26 de julho de 2010 12:56
  • @CM: That sounds like something you would want to make sure actual technical support was aware of.  Is this for local playback, progressive playback/download (as in from an HTTP server), or streaming?

Support can't ask for it to be fixed if they don't know about it.  I'm not remotely part of the support team, but I don't know if they actually monitor the forums.

edit: I spoke with a friend who knows this area.  I was wondering if this was related to approximate seeking, but I believe the fixes for that are already in Windows 7.  If you're having outstanding issues in this area, that sounds like something that would be excellent to get a support case opened for.

segunda-feira, 30 de agosto de 2010 20:39
  • So... Can we revert back to WMP11 as WMP12 cant stream to another MS device (the xbox 360).
    quarta-feira, 2 de fevereiro de 2011 00:28
  • Fed up of WMP12 and cant get rid of it. Piece of rubbish if you ask me. Im going back to XP just so I can use WMP11. I skipped Vista (Pista) because it had so many bugs and looks like I will be doing the same as for Windows7. Shame really because all was ok for me except WMP12 and cant change it. Followed many 'blogs' to remove but still there. Lucky I tried W7 before I paid for a copy... HA
    quarta-feira, 2 de fevereiro de 2011 00:32
  • We want a better version! Windows Media Player 11 was way better!

Professional In Computing - Please Contact for Help. Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    terça-feira, 8 de fevereiro de 2011 16:37
  • Same here.  I hate WMP 12 with the white-hot passion of a thousand suns.  Going to try to install WMP 11, and if that doesn't work, switch to another player/burner.
    sábado, 16 de abril de 2011 13:20
  • If you have App-V, you can sequence WMP 10 on XP along with the necessary addons and DirectShow filters to handle all file formats, install the App-V client on Windows 7 and you get WMP 10 running on Windows 7 without affecting WMP 12.

Proof is in the pudding: Media Player 10, the best version on Windows 7. Why is Media Player 10 the best? Because of features removed and crippled in later versions.

• Editado xpclient terça-feira, 10 de julho de 2012 17:18
    terça-feira, 10 de julho de 2012 17:07