none
Windows is silently installing an update which freezes my computer.

Pergunta

• I'd say this started happening around a week ago. I was playing a game on my PC and it suddenly froze with no warning. I could still hear the sound fine, but nothing would respond on my screen. I did a hard reboot, and logging into my account, the computer would seem to be fine, but none of my programs would start up. When I tried clicking on the desktop or the start orb, explorer would hang and I could do nothing to fix it (ctrl+alt+del, etc.). I did a system restore and looked at the restores available on the list, and it showed that windows had installed a "critical update" just moments before my PC froze. However before the freeze, my computer never notified me of this. Fast forward to today. I have restored about 5 times and everything will go just fine for a few days, but then it will freeze out of nowhere and each time it will show that there was a "critical update" on the restore list just moments before the computer freezes. This computer is only 2 months old and there are only a few programs installed on here that aren't factory (5-6 at the most).

Here are my specs:

Win 7 Home Premium x64

6.00 GB Ram

Intel Core i3

I have tried system restore, and I've tried disabling windows update in the settings. Neither have been a permanent solution. I've also tried to look and see what the culprit update is in Windows Update. It doesn't show that it updated at all, it just says that the last time my computer was update was nearly a month ago.  Looking forward to some help guys. If you need more information, just let me know. Thank you.

-Blake

• Editado Ethezial_ terça-feira, 10 de julho de 2012 20:54 Added information
    terça-feira, 10 de julho de 2012 20:52

Respostas

• Hi,

I am very happy to hear your problem be solved.  For your last question, the answer is Windows update would automatic check each update of legal software in your computer. But as we know that some software update would cause compatibility problem which are unexpected. Also this problem is caused by the third part software company not Microsoft. In this case, you should check detail notifications of updates except Windows product updates.

By the way, please remember don’t run more than 1 anti-virus, firewall, internet Security center application at the same time.

sexta-feira, 13 de julho de 2012 01:59
    Moderador

Todas as Respostas

• After further investigation, I think I may have discovered the problem. I believe the culprit is Avast AV, seeing as it's window has been popping up saying it has updated the client. I also run MSE on my computer as well. Haven't had any problems in the past running the two together, but searching online people have said it can cause strange problems. I uninstalled both AVs, and ran a clean install of Avast after running a restore. Everything seems to be running fine so far.

What really bothers me is that system restore is showing an Avast client update as a "Windows critical update" which led me to believe that it was an update that was installed from Windows Update. Anyone know if this is intended or not, or why System Restore would say this? It's very misleading.

terça-feira, 10 de julho de 2012 21:33
  • Hi,

I am very happy to hear your problem be solved.  For your last question, the answer is Windows update would automatic check each update of legal software in your computer. But as we know that some software update would cause compatibility problem which are unexpected. Also this problem is caused by the third part software company not Microsoft. In this case, you should check detail notifications of updates except Windows product updates.

By the way, please remember don’t run more than 1 anti-virus, firewall, internet Security center application at the same time.

sexta-feira, 13 de julho de 2012 01:59
    Moderador
  • Same type of errors happening ever since this update reared it's head. We also have tried the system restore. For now we have tried disabling Microsoft Update. This is a short term solution. Microsoft needs to be more careful before pushing out these updates.

Win 7 Professional

4 Gb Ram

Intel Core I3

sexta-feira, 13 de julho de 2012 16:13
  • Interesting. The exact same thing happened to me last week when Microsoft forced out security updates. (For some reason, I keep setting my Automatic Updates to notify and not automatically install, but it keeps changing it back). Anyway, the automatic update took place after I went to bed (I never shut down my computer). When I woke up the next day, I saw it at the Windows pre-login screen saying "Preparing to install updates." So I left it and went to work. Came home that evening, and the screen said "Preparing to install updates." It froze in that state and I was never able to get it to log in. I had trouble getting System Restore point to work. It kept giving me a failure, even though, somehow, it partially worked. I was able to get back in my computer, but with it running very weird. I tried to go back farther with system restore point to see if that would help. It did help, but I am occasionally getting the hard freeze (no BSOD).

BTW, I never want updates Automatically, because I have too many things running that it interferes with. I do updates when I am ready to, but Microsoft seems to think otherwise.

I am running:

Windows 7 Ultimate x64

16GB of RAM

Inte Core i7 SandyBridge

nVidia GTX560

Sound Blaster FX Fatality something or other.

MSI P67A-C43 (B3) Military Class II Motherboard.

800Watt Power supply Corsair 80+ certified.

I've had a perfectly stable running system for over a year, which I had upgraded to some really good stuff. I've been playing the mess out of Skyrim and Diablo III with no problem. After Windows Update, not so much.

It is interesting you mention Avast AV, as I use Avast AV as well. I don't know about MSE, as I never purposely installed it. But if it is there and possibly causing problems, then I am happy to get rid of it.

One other note the Windows update where things started going crazy, the following updates failed to install...

KB2718523, KB2719985, KB2655992, KB2719177, KB2691442. One of those updates forces my computer into the "Windows is preparing to install updates." mode indefinitely. I had to hide them and stop automatic updates to keep them from attempting to install.

I see that Microsoft allows you to download an ISO with these updates on it, so I may try to see if I can get them installed that way. Perhaps that may clear things up if they get installed successfully (or make things worse).

sexta-feira, 20 de julho de 2012 01:12