none
Vista Printing repeatedly breaks

Pergunta

• My client is running Vista Business SP2. She had a working setup with 2 printers. Printer 1 is a USB attached HP Laserjet 1012. The second printer is a network attached HP Laserjet M2727.

When I first attempted to repair, the icons in the printer folder for the M2727 disappeared and the 1012 failed to printer. I got things working by unplugging and replugging the USB for the 1012 and power cycled the device. In order to get the M2727 to work, I had to uninstall all related software and then reinstall. When finished, she could print to both devices. She could also send a fax using the icon in the printers folder.

Only a few hours later, when she tried to print from Microsoft Office, including Word and Outlook, it failed again. Both the M2727 PCL6 and Fax icons had disappeared. Word and Outlook hung when trying to print. The error message was, "Page failed to print. Would you like to view the print troubleshooter?". I uninstalled and reinstalled the M2727 software again; restarted the computer. Printing worked again, but broke again when trying to print the next day. There were no related error messages in the event log. However, the M2727 icons remained in the printers folder. When trying to print a test page, the error message, "Page failed to print...", presented itself again.

Troubleshooting steps included:
    - Restarting the printer spooler
    - Unplugging and replugging the USB cable for the 1012.
    - Running the FixIt tool when following the Troubleshooting Tool.

I would appreciate suggestions on how to repair.

Thanks.

Herb Kolodny

quinta-feira, 15 de março de 2012 01:38

Respostas

• Dear Sabrina,

There is no update. In fact, I recommended to the client to not spend any more in this machine. She agreed and purchased a new computer with Windows 7. So this thread should be closed. There will be no resolution.

Thanks for your efforts, though.

Best regards,

Herb Kolodny

• Marcado como Resposta Sabrina Shen quinta-feira, 29 de março de 2012 01:51
    quarta-feira, 28 de março de 2012 11:51

Todas as Respostas

• Hi,

What about to use these printers on another computer to test?

Did you install the latest drivers and updates?

You may check if all the connections are no problems.

Please also test this issue in Clean Boot.

Regards,

Sabrina

TechNet Subscriber Support

If you are TechNet Subscriptionuser and have any feedback on our support quality, please send your feedback here.

Sabrina

TechNet Community Support

quinta-feira, 15 de março de 2012 06:40
  • Dear Sabrina,

Thanks for your suggestions. Both printers work with other computers. And I did DL and install the latest drivers for them.

However, I didn't try a clean boot.

I will try later today and report back.

Best regards,

Herb Kolodny

quinta-feira, 15 de março de 2012 11:33
  • I did try a clean boot and it made NO DIFFERENCE. Both printers were none responsive.

One additional item to note: The Laserjet 2015 printer showed 'Ready' even when the USB cable was unplugged or the power cord to the printer was unplugged.

There were no events logged in the event viewer.

I would appreciate other suggestions, please in fixing this problem.

Best regards,

Herb Kolodny

quinta-feira, 15 de março de 2012 19:44
  • When did this issue occur? Is it a new computer or did you install any programs before the issue occurs?

What about to use the Fix It tool in the following article to check?

Tips for solving problems with USB devices

Did you try to create a new account and test this issue in the new user account?

Regards,

Sabrina

If you are TechNet Subscriptionuser and have any feedback on our support quality, please send your feedback here.

Sabrina

sexta-feira, 16 de março de 2012 06:47
  • Dear Sabrina,

Here are answers to your questions.

This was a functioning computer for about four years before this problem occurred.

Yes, I had tried the Fix It tool, but it fixed nothing.

No, I didn't create a new user account to test. And I am not inclined to do so. All other applications and services are working, except for this.

I appreciate your inputs, but I am hoping for assistance from others, too.

Best regards,

Herb Kolodny

sexta-feira, 16 de março de 2012 15:14
  • Did you try to log in with the other user’s account on this computer to test this issue?

Also, please check if any USB hub is used, please bypass it and connect the driver directly. If any un-used USB device is connected, please also unplug it. 

You may also reinstall USB controllers as below:

Reinstall USB controllers

====================

Note: If you are using a USB mouse, please follow the "Use the Keyboard" steps to reinstall USB controllers. Windows Vista will reinstall all controllers automatically after restarting your computer.

Use the Mouse

--------------

First, please disconnect all USB devices and then perform the following steps:

1). Click "Start", type "Device Manager" (without the quote) in the Search bar and press "Enter". Click Continue if necessary.

2). In Device Manager, double click to expand "Universal Serial Bus controllers", right click on the "Host Controller", click "Uninstall" and click "OK".

3). Repeat the step 2 to uninstall all items under "Universal Serial Bus controllers".

Then, restart your computer and Windows Vista will reinstall all USB controllers automatically.

Use the Keyboard

-----------------

First, please disconnect all USB devices. Then, go through the following steps:

1). Press "Ctrl + Esc" to open the Start Menu.

2). Type Device Manager in the Search bar and press "Enter". Click Continue if necessary.

3). In Device Manger, press Tab and use "Up" and "Down" to move the highlight to "Universal Serial Bus Controllers".

4). Press "Right" and expand it.

5). Press "Down" to move to the first item and press "Delete" to remove it.

6). Repeat the step 5 and uninstall all items under "Universal Serial Bus Controllers".

Regards,

Sabrina

Sabrina

segunda-feira, 19 de março de 2012 05:11
  • Hi,

I was wondering how everything is going. If anything is unclear, please let me know. It is my pleasure to be of assistance.

Regards,

Sabrina

Sabrina

quarta-feira, 21 de março de 2012 06:53
  • Dear Sabrina,

Unfortunately, I can only report failure. Here is a list of steps I followed:

1. Removed USB cable connecting the printer. Then inserted a flash drive to verify the USB port was good. It was.

2. Created a new user account; logged on as that user account then tried to print. It failed and presented the same error message. I tested the USB attached printer as well as the network attached one. I also checked the event logs. As before, there was no logged event that seemed to fix it.

3. Opened Device Manager and uninstalled all USB Host controllers; rebooted computer. After the computer reinstalled all host controllers, I plugged in the USB mouse (successful) and USB attached printer. Test page failed to print.

I give up.

Thanks anyway.

Herb Kolodny

quinta-feira, 22 de março de 2012 18:00
  • Hi,

It seems this issue can be caused by the corrupted printer related components.

You may try to scan the system files to check:

How to use the System File Checker tool to troubleshoot missing or corrupted system files on Windows Vista or on Windows 7

If the issue persists, what about to restore the system to the point which the issue not occurs?

Regards,

Sabrina

Sabrina

• Marcado como Resposta Sabrina Shen quarta-feira, 28 de março de 2012 02:30
    • Não Marcado como Resposta Sabrina Shen quinta-feira, 29 de março de 2012 01:51
    segunda-feira, 26 de março de 2012 02:45
  • Hi,

Any update?

Regards,

Sabrina

Sabrina

quarta-feira, 28 de março de 2012 02:29
  • Dear Sabrina,

There is no update. In fact, I recommended to the client to not spend any more in this machine. She agreed and purchased a new computer with Windows 7. So this thread should be closed. There will be no resolution.

Thanks for your efforts, though.

Best regards,

Herb Kolodny

• Marcado como Resposta Sabrina Shen quinta-feira, 29 de março de 2012 01:51
    quarta-feira, 28 de março de 2012 11:51