none
(Not Responding)

Pergunta

• I too am having the (Not Responding) problem with Windows 7 Ultimate.

I did a clean install of Windows 7 on my Acer Aspire desktp PC back in January. It has been working absolutly fine, until about a month ago, when I started gettin the (Not Responding) message. This is becoming more and more frequent. I have bought a Registry Cleaner and have cleaned and defraged the registry, but this seams to have no effect on the problem. It is becoming increasingly frustrating that I have to keep closing the program that is (Not Responding) and re-open it.

I paid £189.95 for my copy and I expect it to work properly. If anyone has any ideas on how to resolve this problem, other than installing it from scratch again, it would be greatly appreciated.

My faith in Microsoft products is fading very fast and am seriously considering a Mac.

Mike

sábado, 8 de maio de 2010 10:31

Todas as Respostas

• Hi,

Are you sure it is an OS message not application one?

Try use a Action Centre, it may gives you same idea of any errors and fix it. Just type Action Centre into Search Box (hit Start button)

Try disable internet connection and then double check whether the message appears?

It can me missing application or malware?

Bart

Bart Kurowski IT Suport Analyst MCP, MCST, MCITP, MCAS
    sábado, 8 de maio de 2010 11:13
  • Are you still using the Windows 7 RC?

"A programmer is just a tool which converts caffeine into code" CLIP- Stellvertreter http://www.winvistaside.de/
    sábado, 8 de maio de 2010 21:28
  • Hi,

Would you please let us know what programs stop responding?

You’d better run Windows Update and install the latest versions of the hardware drivers to make sure the system is up to date first.

In addition, make sure that the programs are fully compatible with Windows 7.

You may also test the issue in Clean Boot to check if there are any software conflicts.

Here are two Microsoft KB articles about stop responding, you may check if they are useful:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/976427

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/970962

Regards,

Arthur Li - MSFT
    segunda-feira, 10 de maio de 2010 06:21
    Moderador
  • Hi,

I realize that you have another thread with the same issue, so I merged them.

I also notice another thread’s title is “Windows 7 RC gets the (not responding) message on ALL apps and windows opened”.

If you are still using Windows 7 RC, I would like to suggest you to backup the important data and install the final version of Windows 7. Windows 7 RC will expire soon. For more information, please read the following article:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971767

Regards,

Arthur Li - MSFT
    segunda-feira, 10 de maio de 2010 06:26
    Moderador
  • It is the final version of Windows 7 Ultimate 32-Bit that I have been using. As I said previously, I paid £189.95 for it, and now this (Not Responding) issue is happening more and more frequent as the days go on. I have installed all the latest updates, checked the computer for viruses, spyware and malware and it is clean, I have cleaned the registry and checked the hard disc for errors and all is fine.

I can't think of anything else I can try to make it run as smooth as it did when I first installed it.

Any other ideas on how to resolve this issue would be greatly appreciated as £189.95 is alot of money to pay for something that only works properly for a few months.

Mike

segunda-feira, 10 de maio de 2010 14:36
  • It is the final version of Windows 7 Ultimate 32-Bit that I have been using. As I said previously, I paid £189.95 for it, and now this (Not Responding) issue is happening more and more frequent as the days go on. I have installed all the latest updates, checked the computer for viruses, spyware and malware and it is clean, I have cleaned the registry and checked the hard disc for errors and all is fine.

I can't think of anything else I can try to make it run as smooth as it did when I first installed it.

Any other ideas on how to resolve this issue would be greatly appreciated as £189.95 is alot of money to pay for something that only works properly for a few months.

Mike

Hi Mike

I understand your frustration.

This will be an attempt to explain a complex issue in simple terms and in the limited space we have here.

Windows is designed to be fast and reliable. In a typical installation it hosts many other software programs, both integrated and third party. It also has several components that monitor the state of software and system components, such as Windows Error Reporting (WER).

A typical running application is designed to receive, respond to, and send hundreds or even thousands of messages in a very short time. This response time is usually measured in Milliseconds (Thousandths of a second).

If an application does not respond to a message within 3 seconds (3000 milliseconds), then it is considered to be in a hung (frozen) state. The reasons for a hanging application are almost endless. It can be from interacting with an outdated driver, non compatible application, a corrupted system or third party file, or.....?

When Windows detects that an application is in a hung state, it will try to isolate the application to protect other system components and running applications. This is an attempt to protect, and prevent the entire system from crashing.

If the user attempts to interact with the hung application, by clicking on the program or any other action, the screen will dim (called Ghosting by the developers), the (Not Responding) message will appear in the title bar of the application and the pop up dialog will be displayed asking the user if they wish to Close the program, or Wait for the program to respond.

If the user selects to close the application, this may or may not work, depending on the severity of the hang. The user can still start the Task Manager, select the Applications Tab and End Task on the hung application.

The bottom line is that Windows and the WER component are performing exactly the way they are designed by notifying the user that an application has a problem, and that some action needs to be taken by the user.

To troubleshoot these issues, the focus needs to be on the misbehaving application or driver and not on the way Windows is designed to protect the system.

Hope this helps.

Thank You for using Windows 7

Ronnie Vernon MVP 
    segunda-feira, 10 de maio de 2010 23:19
    Moderador
  • Mr. Vernon,

With all due respect, I would like to disagree.  The problem is most definitely not that WER is doing what it's designed to do.  Nor is the problem the applications themselves, for this happens to me as well, on two out of three of my Windows 7 systems (the two which are running the 64-bit version on quad processors) and it starts happening all at once from a couple to several hours after a reboot.  All applications are affected, including the shell, itself, and other instances of Windows Explorer.  I do not know Windows internals, but for 30 years I was an expert in the internals of IBM's premier mainframe operating system (first called OS/360 and now called z/OS) and, based upon my extensive experience, and countless lines of mainframe Assembly Language code I've written over the decades, I would guess that the problem is the Windows 7 dispatcher, or whatever the part of the system which assigns processes to processors is called in Windows 7.

One of the things I use the two affected systems for is playing media.  On my main system (quad Intel 2.66GHz Xeon processor, 8GB RAM, about 1.8TB free space on two physical volumes) the analog sound output of my system is fed to a semi-professional FM transmitter and we stream music and old radio shows all day so we can listen all over the house.  I generally reboot each morning.  After from two to, perhaps, six hours, the playback starts to "gargle", indicating to me that the media player (I use Rhapsody V4, WMP V12 and the free Media Player Classic and all are affected) is having trouble being dispatched.  Coinciding with this, I start to get WER activity on most applications, though if I wait, applications are generally dispatched, at least for a short time.  Restarting the applications (browsers, for example) doesn't help the WER problem (WER activity, of course, being a mere symptom of whatever's going awry with the operating system), nor does it help the gargling and pausing problems with my media players.  I tried changing the dispatching priority of my players to high or real time, but that has no effect whatsoever.  Also, both the Windows Task Manager and IARSN's Taskinfo V9 tell me that nothing is looping and no process is using enough RAM or, for that matter, virtual memory to cause a swapping problem.  I/O activity during these periods of dispatcher failure is also normal to low.

The other system is our newer laptop, also a quad Intel processor, also 8GB of RAM and a 255GB solid-state pseudo hard drive with over 200GB free.  We use that machine to play video using WMP 12, Media Player Classic and PowerDVD (for BD discs) and all are affected similarly, with gargling sound, halting video and frequent pauses.  Again, this coincides with periods of high WER activity.  Both task managers tell me that nothing is looping or consuming massive amounts of RAM or virtual memory, just as with my main desktop system.

In other words, we can't blame this on any particular application.  Rebooting restores sparkling performance for a couple of hours.

My anti-virus program is ESET NOD32, which is 100% up-to-date on both systems and it reports no malware present.

This is a Windows problem, this doesn't just affect me and the posters to this thread.  We need Microsoft to help but, of course, asking MS for help is never a fruitful  option.

Jeff Broido

quarta-feira, 12 de maio de 2010 12:17
  • Hi Jeff,

install the debugging tool for Windows and create hang dumps of the "Not responding" application:

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/130005-creating-memory-dumps/

and upload the zipped dump on your SkyDrive and post the link here.

André

"A programmer is just a tool which converts caffeine into code" CLIP- Stellvertreter http://www.winvistaside.de/
    quarta-feira, 12 de maio de 2010 14:20
  • Unfortunately, there is no guarantee that "not responding" programs leave a minidump to analyze. I'm experiencing a similar problem from time to time with IE8 and some emulation software (don't worry, I know what's happening there), and the only information to be found is kept in "event log"/"reliability monitor" (and doesn't tell you much). All of my problems can be reduced to some 100 % CPU peaks which are partially traceable, partially of unknown cause. OTOH, I don't really believe it's a Windows problem. There are applications that claim to be Windows compatible, and aren't. My IE8 malfunctions lead to the suspicion that some sites use code that isn't compatible with IE (or vice versa), some do it even intentionally to force the user to use another browser... could be continued. The conclusion would be: Please check your system configuration first, and if you're definitely sure that no other program or setting causes the freezes, then blame the OS. First things first.
    "I think there is a world market for maybe five computers.” (Thomas J. Watson, Sr.)
    quarta-feira, 12 de maio de 2010 21:12
  • Hi

I would like to know if it stands anything else in the error message you are getting.

Best Regards Chris Steding MCTS Windows 7 Configuration www.compit.se
    quarta-feira, 12 de maio de 2010 21:19
  • @Sanmartin

have you look at the guide? I don't think so. You manually create dumps, so there IS a dump to look at. This is the ONLY chance to see the cause.

quarta-feira, 12 de maio de 2010 22:43
  • Mr. Vernon,

With all due respect, I would like to disagree.  The problem is most definitely not that WER is doing what it's designed to do.  Nor is the problem the applications themselves

Jeff Broido

Hi Jeff

When I composed that post it was not to place the blame for what caused the error message to appear.

My point was that many users see the (Not Responding)  appearing as the actual error, instead of what it is intended to be, which is an indication that there is a problem in the application or elsewhere. They just do not want to see (Not Responding) any longer, without regard to why the message appeared.

Many posters, such as the thread starter here, do not even mention which application was running when the message appeared?

It is a mistake to state unequivocally that "Nor is the problem the applications themselves" without troubleshooting the issue to determine the actual root cause.

The starting point for troubleshooting must be with the application itself, especially if you close that application and all of the other running programs continue to work properly, which happens in the vast majority of cases.

If the (Not Responding) appears often, and in many different applications, it probably indicates that there is a problem in a particular component that is common to all of these applications. It could be a system component, a driver, a hardware device, a sytem or third party service, or.....?

The list is endless and the only way to determine the root cause is by troubleshooting.

Respectfully,

Thank You for using Windows 7

Ronnie Vernon MVP
    quarta-feira, 12 de maio de 2010 23:50
    Moderador
  • Mr. Vernon,

I am not an asteamed tech as Jeff is. However.... I am great in Lamens terms. If its not broke don't fix it being one. I.e. If a program ran... JUST FINE.... in a previous version (say Vista, XP, etc.) AND IT SAYS..... it IS Windows 7 compatable.. Forgive me for the zing, but (and I AM NOT A MAC GUY) its like the Mac comercial says...... I promise...... We go through this every new addition. They're called "bugs". So, pony up.... get I.T. on it and post us some usefull info on a problem more than just one or two people seem to be having.

My names Scott, Windows 7 was'nt my Idea, it was "yours", now please fix it. Thanks and my apologies.

P.S. If you couldn't tell I have same exact issue........ And I agree with Jeff in the fruitful dept......

And Actually I will continue after re-reading Mr. Vernon's responce. I (and I have read, here and elsewhere, that SO many others) have jumped the trouble shooting hoop(s). I even went as far as to go to my local shop (where I bought the computer and who I trusted due to prior fix-it issues). They did not even charge me with the $80.00 dio fee because......... there was nothing "WRONG" with my computer. This from people who "LOVE" making money on fixing computers (ie car repair if you get my drift). So it sounds to me like, in lamens terms, If your program stops to take a min to think........ Windows 7 cries wolf and hangs the program...... Well, Unfortunately lots a programs need a min or two to think sometimes.......

quinta-feira, 13 de maio de 2010 04:55
  • Dear Mr. Ziegler,

Thanks for the idea and the procedure.  I've installed the debugging tools and will generate a dump at my next opportunity and post it here.

Dear Mr. Vernon,

Thanks for the response.  I think you might have misread my situation, for I do believe that the problem I'm experience is unrelated to the affected applications for the simple reason that, when the problems start, all applications are similarly affected.  Not only that, but if I boot the computer, shut down all superfluous applications and go away for several hours, when I return the problem is in force.  Please don't discount the very real possibility that there is, indeed, a problem with the dispatcher (does MS call it that?) in Windows 7.  I'm not saying that this is actually the case, but that it's not only possible, but plausible.  This is not to say that I believe that everyone with 64-bit Windows 7 will have the problem and, indeed, there might be some interaction problem with optional components, brand-x services, etc., such as anti-virus (ESET NOD32), device drivers, etc.

Consider this simple example.  I reboot in the morning, set-up a playlist of music and old radio shows either in Rhapsody V4 or WMP V12 and start the media playing.  Occasionally, I do nothing else with the computer whilst the media is playing.  Then, after some hours, the sound starts "gargling," by which I mean that playback stops and starts at such a frequency that it sounds like whomever is talking is gargling.  At this point, using IARSN Taskinfo 9 or Windows Task Manager, I see no evidence of another process or processes looping and I see no evidence of excessive (or, in most cases, any) swapping.  If I restart whichever player I'm using, the problem remains.  If I start a different player, the problem remains.  I have two sound cards (on board Sigmatel chip set and a Creative Soundblaster) and if I switch to the other sound card, the problem remains.  The only solution is to reboot.  As you can see, I have a lot of controls for these tests and it's nearly undeniable that the problem is a resource (and I include code in my definition of resource) shared by all or most applications, and the dispatcher would fit the bill.

Any ideas?

Jeff
    quinta-feira, 13 de maio de 2010 11:17
  • Dear Mr. Ziegler and Mr. Vernon,

Wouldn't you know it?  No sooner do I have the ability to start digging into this problem that both systems have begun to behave somewhat better; perhaps it was a known problem and, despite no KB article or hot fix specifically mentioning performance problems or the dispatcher, I suppose it's possible that a partial fix, at least, was added like a legislative amendment to this past Tuesday's security updates.

My system has been up for over a day and just now started having periods of most applications hanging for a time and Rhapsody V4 beginning to "gargle" (see above for my definition of same).  With some trouble, and with IE8 consistently hanging (along with Windows Explorer instances, Paint Shop Pro, Firefox, Chrome, Taskinfo 9, etc.) I managed to get a dump of just processes related to iexplore.exe.  Here's a link: http://bit.ly/cloWtz

Regards and thanks,
    Jeff
    sexta-feira, 14 de maio de 2010 17:31
  • Hi Jeff,

the dumps are unreadable. Please try to open them with WinDbg.exe before uploading them! Also compress them as 7z/zip or RAR to reduce the size!

André

sexta-feira, 14 de maio de 2010 22:19
  • Dear André,

I'm sorry I forgot to compress the dumps; I have 30 megabaud service, here, so I've stopped thinking of large files as a problem.  I'll take some more dumps when the problem resurfaces.  I had a bad period about a half hour ago, which lasted about 5 minutes whilst Task Manager showed nothing obvious and certainly no tight loops.  I really do believe that there's a possibility that the problem has, at least partially, been addressed by MS.  We can but hope.  Meanwhile, next time the dump(s) will be compressed and pre-checked.  What do you suppose might've rendered them unreadable?  Incidentally, the version of the debugging package I downloaded (7.1, I believe) had only adplus_old.vbs, not adplus.vbs, which leads me to believe the turnkey instructions need to be updated and my use of adplus_old.vbs might be the cause of the problem with the integrity of the dumps.  What do you think?

Jeff

sábado, 15 de maio de 2010 10:08
  • Rename adplus_old.vbs to adplus.vbs and use it as shown in the script.

Have you checked the dumps? Can Windbg open them?

André

sábado, 15 de maio de 2010 11:32
  • Dear André,

I just checked the dumps on my own system and, as you found, neither can be opened with windbg.exe, not that I have the slightest clue as to why.  I have V7.1 of the debugging tools and, perhaps, the procedure is different or something; please let me know if you have any advice.

Meanwhile, I tried to take more dumps on five occasions, but my system became so sluggish so quickly that I couldn't get any programs to start, let alone the debugger.  I will keep trying.

Jeff

NO STATEMENTS FLAGGED IN THIS ASSEMBLY.
    segunda-feira, 17 de maio de 2010 17:47
  • I am all so having the same problem described by everyone else on this thread. I too believe this is a problem with Windows 7, because of many reasons. I don't think I need to state them all lets just say all roads lead to Rome. I can state with absolute certainty that my system did not have this issue prior to the upgrade. I did have other issues with Vista that cleared up due to the upgrade, but am now faced with a whole new problem called " Not Responding". This problem is not limited to one program or process or application. It is caused by, in my humble opinion, exactly what Mr. Vernon refereed to as W.E.R. It just makes perfect sense. It always seems to happen when I am multi tasking. It is not my system because as was pointed out by Mr. Broido I am not using anywhere near my systems max resources. I do check how much "juice" is being sucked at the time of the occurrence, and it has never been over 30% of my RAM, and less from each processor core. Please forgive me if some of my terminology is inaccurate, but I think everyone can follow along easily enough. My proposed solution is this. Is there a way to adjust the values so that Windows allows more time before it throws out the "Not Responding" flag. It seems like that is where the problem lies so can this be adjusted? I know I am not the only person to think of this, but I am throwing it out there. I hope if this is not possible that M.S. creates a patch or hot-fix or whatever to rectify this situation. It is Windows, at least in my case, and instead of wasting time trying to place blame elsewhere let's just go ahead and fix it. I have a lot of respect for people who are designing, and deploying these operating systems. I have nothing bad to say about them.This isn't about bashing Microsoft, and praising Apple. I think Apples and the majority of Apple users are pretentious, arrogant, blow hards. They can all sit and spin. I am a P.C., but I am in need of a band-aid.

Knowone-

Knowone39 Compfix2010@comcast.net
    quarta-feira, 26 de maio de 2010 18:15
  • Have you made the dumps?

quarta-feira, 26 de maio de 2010 22:22
  • Awesome thread which I'm enjoying. Seems there are some very qualified people here working a real world problem; just my cup of tea.

ironically, as soon as I got to the bottom of the thread, I look up at my tabs and it says "Not Responding" and I thought I had a hang; it's the title of the thread! :)

Good luck to all who have this challenge.

sexta-feira, 28 de maio de 2010 12:55
  • I did the exact same thing. I do have the problem, but I still felt foolish for a second. One of those moments when your really glad your alone!

Knowone-

sábado, 29 de maio de 2010 00:39
  • I have to agree with Mr. Broido, LamensTerms, and Knowone.  This seems to be a case of Windows 7 (the WER module?) being far too aggressive in its decision making process.  As LamensTerms put it, there are a lot of programs that 'need a minute or two to think sometimes.'  I know it's just doing its job, trying to protect the system from a hanging program, keeping it from affecting other programs or even the shell, but 3 seconds just isn't long enough it some cases.  Windows is crying wolf and killing a working process (sometimes).  Yeah I know, computers think in ridiculously short timeframes so 3 seconds is like an eternity, but some programs, such as, oh say, the Unreal Development Kit, can become unresponsive when they're doing things, but really they're still working.

In the UDK, when you open a map for the first time it needs to compile all of the material shaders.  Depending on how complex the shader networks are, and how many there are, this process can take a very very long time (15+ minutes).  During this time it is pretty much guranteed that the UDK will stop responding several times.  It'll "hang" for a few seconds, then move on to the next shader, then "hang," then move on, and so on until it compiles all of them.  It'll "hang" longer on more complicated shaders, and it seems that Windows 7 interprets this as the program ceasing to work.  Then it will bring up a dialog saying that the program has stopped working (not the "Do you want to end it now or wait it out?" dialog) and my only choice is to close the program while it's really in the middle of working.  In fact, sometimes after I click on the dialog, the program will visibly resume working for about half a second before Windows then kills the process.

This type of overly-aggressive "jumping the gun" behavior does not manifest in XP (on identical hardware I might add), only in Win7 (and maybe also Vista according to my roommate?  I don't know because I skipped Vista).  It seems to me that the 'timeout period' of 3 seconds should really be longer.  Sometimes this happens with other programs as well, but only for a split second, where Windows will cry foul of a program and begin to isolate it, only to have it unfreeze a fraction of a second later, basically interrupting a task.

I suppose the variable that controls the 'timeout duration' or the 'dispatcher' is probably embedded directly in an executable and is not something that can be altered in a registry key or something?

-edit- Whoops, forgot to mention my config: Win7 Ult x64, Intel i7 940 (with HT on for "8" cores), 12GB DDR3, 3x 1TB drives, ATI Radeon 4870 1GB, fully updated BIOS and drivers and Microsoft Update and all that.

terça-feira, 15 de junho de 2010 10:27
  • For anyone who has "not responding" going on.  I've been dealing with this issue for at least 4 weeks.  It started when I activated a computer security software bundle from my own isp and has continued in spite of updating drivers and other steps I took that I found on the internet.  At first, I simply disabled the security bundle and my computer seemed to be back to normal.  Much later (yesterday) I finally downloaded a new security bundle (Comodo for anyone that's interested), and for the first time in weeks I've used internet explorer and windows live mail without them freezing.

Gary S
    terça-feira, 13 de julho de 2010 04:17
  • Garys - Thank's for joining in the conversation. It seems to have stalled as of late, but maybe people will start giving feedback again. I have noticed my episodes of not responding have been coming more frequently than ever. I was using Vipre A.V. Premium, but that sh.. the bed one day for no reason that I could find. I guess it decided to go on strike. Anyway I loaded Kaspersky Internet Security, very impressive, and the "episodes" continue. Doesn't seem to be program specific at all. I have come up with a new theory, but it is a little bit nuts. I think Microsoft is pooping their pants over this big error, and they are not responding to the "not responding" problem. I think they put out crappy O.S.'s on purpose, and then follow it up with a good one. This way they can say we paid attention to what the consumers wanted i.e. their latest ad campaign which sating "Windows 7 was my idea" blah blah blah. Look windows 2000 was good, ME sucked XP good, Vista sucked, and now & is supposed to be good, but they f'ed it up, and it's not good, it sucks. All it's going to take is a simple hot-fix or patch, but then they must admit they screwed up. I guarantee every tech support person has a memo saying deny deny deny!! That's all I have for today. Please lets figure this out together guys. I know it's gotta be a simple registry value or something. I can feel it in me bones!!

Knowone39 Compfix2010@comcast.net P.S. I have never seen this logged in the event viewer, has anyone?
    • Editado Knowone39 terça-feira, 13 de julho de 2010 21:59 I want to
    terça-feira, 13 de julho de 2010 21:57
  • Ok. Obviously, I'm having the same issues as everyone else, windows and applications not responding, etc. Difference being, this all seemed to start happening after a security update I received from Microsoft for Windows 7. I followed normal procedures, let the updates download, install, etc. I restarted my computer for the update to take effect, and that's when everything went downhill. Normal applications I had up, would randomly ghost, stop working momentarily, or just crash all together. It got so bad to the point that even Windows Explorer itself, not IE, would crash. My taskbar would disappear, my whole desktop would ghost and I'd be left unable to do anything what so ever. I've tried numerous fixes and ran numerous scans, I've even run a system restore to 3 days before the problem started, and it still didn't help anything at all. I've done full computer scans with AvenQuest Fix It 10 Plus Professional, Webroot Antivirus, AVG 9.0 and run quite a few other optimizations, yet nothing seems to fix this. I see this thread hasn't had a new post in quite some time, but it fit the bill and I want an answer and soon. I've had this problem for nearly 2 or 3 weeks now, and it's really nerve wracking.
    quarta-feira, 29 de setembro de 2010 01:16
  • Mr. Vernon,

I am not an asteamed tech as Jeff is. However.... I am great in Lamens terms. If its not broke don't fix it being one. I.e. If a program ran... JUST FINE.... in a previous version (say Vista, XP, etc.) AND IT SAYS..... it IS Windows 7 compatable.. Forgive me for the zing, but (and I AM NOT A MAC GUY) its like the Mac comercial says...... I promise...... We go through this every new addition. They're called "bugs". So, pony up.... get I.T. on it and post us some usefull info on a problem more than just one or two people seem to be having.

My names Scott, Windows 7 was'nt my Idea, it was "yours", now please fix it. Thanks and my apologies.

P.S. If you couldn't tell I have same exact issue........ And I agree with Jeff in the fruitful dept......

And Actually I will continue after re-reading Mr. Vernon's responce. I (and I have read, here and elsewhere, that SO many others) have jumped the trouble shooting hoop(s). I even went as far as to go to my local shop (where I bought the computer and who I trusted due to prior fix-it issues). They did not even charge me with the $80.00 dio fee because......... there was nothing "WRONG" with my computer. This from people who "LOVE" making money on fixing computers (ie car repair if you get my drift). So it sounds to me like, in lamens terms, If your program stops to take a min to think........ Windows 7 cries wolf and hangs the program...... Well, Unfortunately lots a programs need a min or two to think sometimes.......

You said it! Thanks!
    quarta-feira, 13 de outubro de 2010 19:02
  • I am all so having the same problem described by everyone else on this thread. I too believe this is a problem with Windows 7, because of many reasons. I don't think I need to state them all lets just say all roads lead to Rome. I can state with absolute certainty that my system did not have this issue prior to the upgrade. I did have other issues with Vista that cleared up due to the upgrade, but am now faced with a whole new problem called " Not Responding". This problem is not limited to one program or process or application. It is caused by, in my humble opinion, exactly what Mr. Vernon refereed to as W.E.R. It just makes perfect sense. It always seems to happen when I am multi tasking. It is not my system because as was pointed out by Mr. Broido I am not using anywhere near my systems max resources. I do check how much "juice" is being sucked at the time of the occurrence, and it has never been over 30% of my RAM, and less from each processor core. Please forgive me if some of my terminology is inaccurate, but I think everyone can follow along easily enough. My proposed solution is this. Is there a way to adjust the values so that Windows allows more time before it throws out the "Not Responding" flag. It seems like that is where the problem lies so can this be adjusted? I know I am not the only person to think of this, but I am throwing it out there. I hope if this is not possible that M.S. creates a patch or hot-fix or whatever to rectify this situation. It is Windows, at least in my case, and instead of wasting time trying to place blame elsewhere let's just go ahead and fix it. I have a lot of respect for people who are designing, and deploying these operating systems. I have nothing bad to say about them.This isn't about bashing Microsoft, and praising Apple. I think Apples and the majority of Apple users are pretentious, arrogant, blow hards. They can all sit and spin. I am a P.C., but I am in need of a band-aid.

Knowone-

This is exactly my problem. I started with Vista too. I agree, if WER is 'normal' then make the time longer. But my 10 year old PC can do more, faster, than my NEW laptop. I spent extra money for more power and storage just so I wouldn't have to worry about these kind of problems. I'll never buy another PC, if I have to sell my car to afford a Mac, I'll do it. It's not just the multitude of problems that tic's me off, but the countless hours of upgrades, repairs, updates, searching for solutions and so on. If I was getting paid for my time, I could have bout 5 Macs! Grrrrr. ;0(
    quarta-feira, 13 de outubro de 2010 19:11
  • Same here with the "not responding". And though I have not reinstalled, many of my friends have and this keeps happening even after a fresh install. We all have different preferences to antivirus and I use Microsofts own Security Essentials.

If Microsoft cant recreate this problem I am very surprised.

What about Service Pack 1? Anyone tested the beta yet to see if this fixes it?

sábado, 23 de outubro de 2010 09:13
  • Buonas Dias,

The only common factor I experienced that gave this "not responding" error was that Explorer.exe itself stopped responding.  So I guessed that either it itself was corrupt, or (more likely) something else was causing it to stop acting for a (variable) length of time.

(query here - am I right in assuming that any program that takes longer than "xx seconds" to reply has a special label attached to it)

So, after changing all the obvious routines, that is, the ones created either by me, or by sombod else, I looked into the Admin. WMI roputines.  I first looked at events - errors - marked as errornous (which I supposed meant that +something didn't work as it was expected to:  am I right?) and found that the Security log was being reported as not obtainable.   In other words, corrupt.   The cure seemed to be to get rid of the corruption;  so, following the advice of_________ , I cleared the Security log to start it afresh, but first I logged on as an Administrator.   And there was no problem.   So, Security seems to have an effect.

[  In windows 7, click Start, then ControlP Panel, then Administrative  Tools, then Computer Management (the top-level, I think) and looked at Windows Logs.   In my case, it was the Security Log that I couldn't access.   ]

But before I gave a sigh of satisfaction, I logged on as an Administrator.  No security aspect.   And there was no security problem.  And, a little while later, the machine reported "not responding" again..   I had, in other words, recreated Jeff's problem from a different angle.

The first thing I tried, was to see if there was anything else corrupt, or missing, or otherwise caput.  First thing was to gothrough all the files my programs had created, read, written to, or otherwise used.   No problem there;  or, at least, not this problem, though I spent an (un)happy few days correcting all the glitches I DID find...

None of which did the magic thing, and stopped the computer stopping, which in turn meant letters and email stopped, which in turn meant that .. which meant that ...   Everything, in fact, that a retired person needs to do.   Eat?  No food.  Drink? What's that?   

Furious, now, with me, I looked at system files.   I started start-control Panel-Administrative Tools-Computer Management-Message Queuing-System Queues to get a possible three queues.   The Journal Queue was fine, but the other two were not corrupt, not bugged, but MISSING.

Is there anyone else with this sort of bug?   I reckon that one or two successes mean, or could mean, that for a particular setup, it was JERONIMOI.  But twenty or thirty directr hits, and ... now your'e talking.

I am thinking, in my dull fashioon, that something very basic, something that is so commonplace that it's .. I give credit to Knowone for this idea.

(i) Has anyone put a window onto the desktop just when ...?   (Possibilty from another poster, not on this forum)

(ii)  How about a burn, or a rip?  Followed, not neccesarily immediately, by some system crashing, that brought the whole machine crashing.

(iii) How about media in general/

(iv) Has anyone had trouble due to security?

BTW, reinstalling windows WIll help, in as much as it will reform the various system files - if that is the what went wrong .

Ciao!

Dickibu(s)(d)

quinta-feira, 16 de dezembro de 2010 20:36
  • Mike I dont blame you for being frustrated there is nothing worse than putting your faith I use this term loosely lol  I myself have had my issues with both vista and 7 ...XP is the best windows program made thus far I believe.... back to the issues that I see many people are posting about.

I have had many NOT RESPONDING sorry   to IE Firefox google chrome i can list many more and my all time best ....from the posts i read just ctl/alt/delete and end task yeah i will hit the next person with well never mind lol i did all that and even my ctl/alt/del  didnt respond hmmm yeah I can see them all saying did u scan look for malware  missing dll files and blah blah blah doesnt get the problem solved so i dont use IE 7 or later dont care what the so called pros say I download all the updates they send me and guess what even they wont respond I think microsoft needs to get a clue because there can no way be this many people who are just techno dummies... hahah or that dumb to think its something WE have done to our own computers because cant possibly be them well guess what its their fluck-up and something needs to be done i refuse to spend another hard earned penny on their  product or a computer tech to fix what is not broken. I did find a couple of fixes to the problem that my w7  shutdown or i mean didnt shutdown unless i held the button down to force it.. Its a few things not just one so even if they say download a hotfix that will not fix it so and oh yeah and for the sending of the error or hangup to microsft  well i decline that option didnt get the problem fixed. I hope that whatever the issue is will be resolved i myself am going to look further for all the issues i found and If i find anything out i will be sure to send you the proper channels to help with yours as well..... Mac is looking so good to me lol

Try to have a nice Superbowl tommorow or whatever just keep smiling well Try lol  Shelly :)   

domingo, 5 de fevereiro de 2012 07:07
  • Hi All,

Help!!!

I have BRAND NEW HP Pavilion with WIN 7 Ultimate... right out of the box.  The "not responding" seems to be independent of the application on my system.   It has occured on IE, on Firefox, on Windows Explorer, on Windows Media.   Additionally, the TASK MANAGER function, to "End Process" does NOTHING....I have reboot everytime to get rid of the "not responding" application. 

I have a home network.  Trying to get the other computers (WIN XP) to see this new "Home Server" and I paid for 3 years on site support.  So I'm going to dump the problem on HP who will dump it back on Microsoft.  

I have read through and have not seen a viable fix for this problem.  I have 21 days and I return this morphadite for a full refund.  My BF says... go Apple, they never have this many issues, but he doesn't have a home network either with multiple versions of Windows.

Well have to cold reboot again!.... this time was on "Windows Explorer", now the windows task bar won't even come up.   BTW:  I'm very savvy with this stuff and had I known it would be this bad (4 -5 reboots per day), I probably would have gone with something else.  This platform is not stable.

If you know this fix... please post it here!

sexta-feira, 6 de julho de 2012 00:17
  • Having the same issues for a while now. Sometimes it's Skype, sometimes IE, sometimes other apps; Sometimes immediately after boot, sometimes 2 days later. Any solution? I see no activity between Dec 2010 and 2012. Is there a solution? Do we know the cause or just everybody has switched to Win8 / Mac OS?

I have checked the memory modules (8GB 4 passes overnight), chkdsk, malware, etc. all seems to be working fine.

Please help

segunda-feira, 31 de dezembro de 2012 20:46