none
"No Wireless Devices are Available" after upgrading to Windows 8

Pergunta

• I have a Lenovo Y550P.  I upgraded to Windows 8, and I no longer have the ability to connect to WiFi.

I ran the "Comparability Check" prior to installing, which reported everything was alright to upgrade on my laptop.  Once Windows 8 was installed, I noticed I no longer had the use of my WiFi card, which was what I used to download the ISO to install Windows 8.  

In Device Manager, it shows my Intel 5300 AGN as installed and functioning with no driver issues, but the blue plastic looking GUI part of Windows states I have "No Wireless devices" available. 

After searching around, I found some advice to check if Windows 8 is comparable with my card.  It turns out Intel is refusing to support the 5300 AGN on Windows 8.  

That would be fine, except I have attempted to install two seperate cards, both Broadcom, into my laptop and they both give me a pre-boot error stating "AN UNAUTHORIZED WIFI CARD HAS BEEN INSTALLED.  PLEASE REMOVE AND REBOOT."

So I don't have the option if updating my internal card because it is somehow "unauthorized" (by who?) and I don't have the option of using the card currently installed, because nobody wants to update the drivers for the card.

I then attempted to install a Patriot PCUSBW1150 wireless card I had purchased for another project, and it had the same issue.  It showed up in the Device Manager, without issue, but gives the message "No Wireless Devices are Available" when I bring up the PC Settings window, and I don't have an option to even view them from the Network Configuration control panel.  

I assumed this was also because drivers were unsupported, so I went out and purchased a card I verified would work with Windows 8.  I bought a Netgear N900 USB card.  I downloaded the Windows 8 drivers provided on the Netgear website and plugged in the card.  

It gives me the exact same issue.

So the issue is obviously no longer focused entirely on the card.  I would very much appreciate any help on this.  My computer is pretty useless without Wifi.  

sexta-feira, 1 de fevereiro de 2013 20:33

Respostas

• Thanks for your reply!

Unfortunately, none of your suggestions would have helped.  Since my install was an upgrade, even though I received no error, it appears the upgrade did not work.  As a last-ditch effort, I ran the "Refresh your PC affecting your files" and even though I will be spending the next week re-installing everything, it seemed to take care of the WiFi issue.  Thanks again!

• Marcado como Resposta N T M quarta-feira, 6 de fevereiro de 2013 15:18
    terça-feira, 5 de fevereiro de 2013 16:51

Todas as Respostas

• Hi,

I suggest to contact wireless card manufacturer for the latest version which compatible with Windows 8. Also you can try to install  Windows 7 driver with Windows 7 compatible mode.

Furthermore, update BIOS and Chipset for your machine, you can download it form Lenovo official website.

If the issue persists, you’d better contact the manufacturer for further help.

Thank you for your understanding.

Leo Huang
    TechNet Community Support

terça-feira, 5 de fevereiro de 2013 03:26
    Moderador
  • Thanks for your reply!

Unfortunately, none of your suggestions would have helped.  Since my install was an upgrade, even though I received no error, it appears the upgrade did not work.  As a last-ditch effort, I ran the "Refresh your PC affecting your files" and even though I will be spending the next week re-installing everything, it seemed to take care of the WiFi issue.  Thanks again!

• Marcado como Resposta N T M quarta-feira, 6 de fevereiro de 2013 15:18
    terça-feira, 5 de fevereiro de 2013 16:51
  • Hi,

Does the issue resolved by refresh PC?

Leo Huang
    TechNet Community Support

quarta-feira, 6 de fevereiro de 2013 02:50
    Moderador
  • It seems to be working now.  Thanks again.
    quarta-feira, 6 de fevereiro de 2013 15:19