none
DirectX 9 will not install & leaves no logs

Pergunta

• Hi

After a faulty DirectX install some years ago I ended up having to manually uninstall it (probably the root of the error, but it wouldn't uninstall or permit updates even before that so maybe not) so now I have have for all intents and purposes no DirectX on my Windows XP machine anymore. Increasngly other applications I want to use wont install because there's 'no DirctX 9.0c or better', but here's the problem - when I install DirectX - end user (currently 9.29.1974) or developer versions (it makes no difference) it fails with the message:

An internal System error occurred.
    Please refer to DXError.log and DirectX.log in your Windows folder to determine the problem.                 

But the two log files mentioned don't exist anywhere on my machine. What can I do to achieve a DirectX install?

Thank you for your thoughts.     

Very Old Dog.

• Editado Very Old Dog terça-feira, 29 de maio de 2012 15:01
    terça-feira, 29 de maio de 2012 15:00

Respostas

• @Very Old Dog, download this registry key file (dxversion.reg) to your computer from my Skydrive.

After that, double-click the file and press Yes when asked whether to allow adding the information to registry. Then run the DirectX setup again. If an error comes again, please post the error logs.

(Note: If the reg file opens with Notepad instead, Press Windows key + R > type regedit and press Enter > File menu > Import. Now browse to the .reg file)

@Canary107, please create a new question in the Forums. The reason is that your error log is different. Till then you can also try to use the above registry key file.
    • Editado Swapnil99pro domingo, 10 de junho de 2012 06:10 Added more info
    • Marcado como Resposta Very Old Dog domingo, 10 de junho de 2012 16:12
    domingo, 10 de junho de 2012 05:04

Todas as Respostas

• terça-feira, 29 de maio de 2012 20:13
  • Hi

Thanks for that however I know how to install DirectX. I know that page too incidentally. The problem is that the install fails - as described. I am asking where to go from here - anyone?

Thank you for your thoughts.     

Very Old Dog.

terça-feira, 29 de maio de 2012 20:57
  • Use SFC /Scannow to Repair Protected Windows Operating System Files and then try reinstalling DirectX.

Carey Frisch

terça-feira, 29 de maio de 2012 21:59
  • Hi

Thank you carey - I didn't know about that utility. However on this occassion it didn't help. I ran it, I added the XP install disk when prompted, and it ran it's course. I re-started windows and went to install DirectX again. Failed again, and with the same message as above.

What can I try next?

Regards

Very Old Dog

quarta-feira, 30 de maio de 2012 01:03
  • Try this if you want-

From your Windows XP installation disc, from the I386 folder, copy all the files starting with D3D in their filename and also copy DDRAW.DL_. Their file extensions would be DL_.

Press Windows key + R > type system32 and press Enter. IF you find any files starting with D3D in their filename or the file or the file DDRAW.DLL, first unregister them by-

Open a command prompt and enter the command-

regsvr32 /u filename.dll

(where filename stands for the filename of each DLL file starting with D3D in it's filename AND DDRAW.dll; do this for all files starting with D3D in their filename and DDRAW.dll)

Now delete these files from system32 starting with D3D in their filename and ddraw.dll.

Now expand the DL_ files you copied from the Windows XP installation disc.

Open a command prompt and enter the following command-

expand filepath/filename.dl_ C:\Windows\system32\filename.dll

(where filepath is the complete path to the file and filename is the name of the file; for example if you extracted all files to C:\DirectX folder and are expanding d3d8.dl_ the command would be -

expand C:\directx\d3d8.dl_ C:\windows\system32\d3d8.dll

do this for all files you copied)

Now run the following command-

regsvr32 filename.dll

(where filename refers to the filenames of the files you extracted from WinXP installation disc; do this step for all files)

Restart your system and try installing DX Runtime again.

(The files starting with D3D in their filename are Direct3D modules and DDRAW.dll means DirectDraw. This should be enough to get the DX Runtime installed).

If it does not help and the same error occurs, some advanced troubleshooting is required for which Process Monitor logs will be required (since you can't find the installation log files). If you face a different error, please post the exact error with the error code (if any).

quarta-feira, 30 de maio de 2012 06:19
  • Hi Swapnil99pro

With some trepidation I did as you suggested, or tried to. I ran into problems part way through. Let me describe what happened.
    I unregistered all the D3D's - there were about 70 of them - far more than there were 'replacements' - exactly 10 (including ddraw.dll) - on the XP install disc. Still I unregistered them all. Each and every 'unregister' was met with the same message:
    <filename> was loaded but the DllRegisterServer entry point was not found.
    <filename> was not registered. 

I pressed on regardless. I was a little phased by having used the /u flag and yet the dialogue box mentioned 'registered' not unregistered but I went through the process. At the end I deleted all the files. Two refused to delete, namely d3dim700.dll and ddraw.dll. I decided to rename them with a .dllxxxxx extension so as to proceed with the next step. Next I expanded the 10 files from the disk, that went perfectly. Then I tried to register them - none would register. The error, like the earlier one, again said:

<filename> was loaded but the DllRegisterServer entry point was not found.
    <filename> was not registered. 

Why on earth should that be??? Have I missed something here? Please help!!! 

Thank you.

Very Old Dog.
    P.S. I didn't try to re-install DirectX again as there seems no reason to assume anything has improved here yet.

• Editado Very Old Dog quarta-feira, 30 de maio de 2012 19:42 Correcting typos
    quarta-feira, 30 de maio de 2012 17:29
  • Be calm, I have not done this myself before, so even I am not sure if those D3D files are really meant to be registered; maybe they are NOT meant to or are registered by a different method.

OK, you got the 10 files expanded successfully to system32.

What does DirectX Diagnostic Tool have to say about the DirectX files. (Press Windows key + R > type dxdiag and press Enter > go to the DirectX Files tab ) 

There should be a Notes section and if it says "No problems found" then it's good and you may try re-installing DirectX Runtime (before you do so empty the contents (remember don't delete the folders) of %temp% folder and temp folder (just type %temp% and temp one by one in the Run box and press Enter and the folders would open)) ; if it gives any warnings about any file; please post the exact warning message here.

quinta-feira, 31 de maio de 2012 06:41
  • Hi Swapnil99pro

Thank you for the reassurance. I ran dxdiag as you described. There was a warning at the bottom of the tab which says:

Several files (ddraw.dll, gcdef.dll) are old versions, which could cause problems.

and indeed in the list of files just above these two naimed files have little warning traingles against their names. What should I do? Should I try to find them again from the install disk and re-expand / re-register them? Odd, I could have sworn the ddraw.dll file was one I took from the disk yesterday but perhaps a) I made a mistake, or b) perhaps it is old compared to other system files - the install disk says it's SP2 whereas I think I have installed SP3 since originally setting up the machine. That's just FYI and may not be relevant to anything.

So how should I proceed please?

Regards

Very Old Dog.

• Editado Very Old Dog quinta-feira, 31 de maio de 2012 11:55 Correcting my typos
    quinta-feira, 31 de maio de 2012 11:54
  • OK, but that gcdef.dll warning is unexpected. 

I am not sure on this one, just give it a try-

Download Windows XP SP3 > Extract it using 7-zip (or other software if you have already like WinZIP, WinRAR). Now expand the files which DirectX Diagnostic tool reports to be of old version with the ones available in the SP3 package.

(replacing the current ddraw.dll with ddraw.dl_ expanded from XP SP3 package should atleast fix that warning message for ddraw.dll in DirectX Diagnostic tool (test after a reboot)).

IF you do NOT find ddraw.dl_ inside the extracted files from XP SP3 package, then reply stating that it's not there- even I am not 100% sure it's there.

• Editado Swapnil99pro quinta-feira, 31 de maio de 2012 13:49 Added Windows XP SP3 download link
    quinta-feira, 31 de maio de 2012 13:47
  • Hi Swapnil99pro

SP3 appears to be an .exe that will just install all of it's files, rather than let me select elements a la carte. Should I go ahead and just try to install SP3 in it's entirity?

Very Old Dog.

quinta-feira, 31 de maio de 2012 14:20
  • I thought you know that how an EXE can be extracted. 

OK, install 7-Zip (there are two download links, click the first one "EXE Windows 32-bit x86").

Now right-click WindowsXP-KB936929-SP3-x86-ENU.exe > 7-Zip > Extract to "WindowsXP-KB936929-SP3-x86-ENU\" .

(You can rename the folder to a simple name like SP3 so that you don't have to type the complete name when you use expand command).

Also, I just noticed that Windows XP SP3 package contains d3d8.dl_ , d3d8thk.dl_ , d3d9.dl_ , d3dim700.dl_ in addition to ddraw.dl_ (All these files are inside i386 folder).

Expand all the 5 files to C:\windows\system32 (instructions on using expand command are in my very first post in this thread in case you don't remember it)

Reboot and check DirectX Diagnostic tool; atleast ddraw.dll warning should be gone.

quinta-feira, 31 de maio de 2012 14:34
  • Hi Swapnil99pro

As ever your instructions are perfect! I followed them to the letter and rebooted and voila, the message about ddraw.dll has gone away. The 'problem' message from Dxdiag now says only:

The file gcdef.dll is an old version, which could cause problems.

I am holding off trying to install Directx again until you give me the green flag.

Another FYI for you. While doing the steps you recommend I noticed there is a directory in system32 as follows:

C:\windows\system32\directx\websetup\

which contains dxsetup.cab and filelist.dat

I presume this is the remains of previous attempts to install Directx and can safely be ignored, but I mention it just to be safe.

What next? Try to fix gcdef.dll somehow?

Very Old Dog.

quinta-feira, 31 de maio de 2012 17:48
  • The file gcdef.dll is an old version, which could cause problems.

I am holding off trying to install Directx again until you give me the green flag.

Another FYI for you. While doing the steps you recommend I noticed there is a directory in system32 as follows:

C:\windows\system32\directx\websetup\

which contains dxsetup.cab and filelist.dat

I presume this is the remains of previous attempts to install Directx and can safely be ignored, but I mention it just to be safe.

OK, install DirectX again - BUT after following these steps-

1. Delete the folder C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\DirectX for Managed Code (it will be re-created when you install the DirectX runtime)

2. Clear the contents of %temp% and temp folders.

Press Windows key + R > type %temp% and press Enter > select all items (Ctrl + A) and delete (you might get many errors that a file is in use and cannot be deleted; in such a case, reselect the files manually and exclude the file that refuses to delete. Do this until you are left with only the files which cannot be deleted).

Now, for temp folder, so the same as above but this time type temp in the Run box.

Personally, I recommend you install DirectX runtime using the offline installer instead of web installer; though it is totally your choice.

Hope you get DirectX installed successfully without errors. 

• Editado Swapnil99pro sexta-feira, 1 de junho de 2012 06:17 Fixed a small typo
    sexta-feira, 1 de junho de 2012 06:16
  • Hi Swapnil99pro

I followed your instructions exactly, even installing from the offline installer, but alas the error is the same as at the start:

An internal System error occurred.
    Please refer to DXError.log and DirectX.log in your Windows folder to determine the problem. 

(Edit: there are no log files created)

I am guessing that the problem with gcdef.dll being labeled as 'old' might be the issue. No idea what it is but Googling it, it seems that lots and lots of people who can't install DirectX also have this 'old' gcdef.dll error. However I have not been able to find any information on how to rectify it / where to get a newer gcdef.dll from. Do you have any thoughts on that perhaps?

Thank you

Very Old Dog.

• Editado Very Old Dog sexta-feira, 1 de junho de 2012 19:02 Minor edit.
    sexta-feira, 1 de junho de 2012 18:56
  • Without DirectX logs, it's hard to analyze the problem.

I guess I will have to ask for Process Monitor logs now.

1. Download Process Monitor > Extract the contents of ZIP file > launch Procmon.exe

2. Cancel the Filter dialog if you see it. Just after you cancel the Filter dialog, quickly run the DirectX Setup.

3. When you receive the "An internal System error occurred." error in DirectX Setup; press Ctrl + E in Process Monitor to stop capturing.

4. Now go to File menu > Save in Process Monitor. Choose the location where you want to save the file but don't modify the default settings selected (like Format, Events to save).

5. Save the file > Upload it to your Skydrive (login using your Windows Live ID). Now right-click the file in Skydrive > Share > Select "Get a link" from the left > Select "Make public" from the right and post the link here.

Please note that it takes some time to analyze the Process Monitor logs; and since I am also busy with installing Windows 8 RP; I may not be able to reply till Monday.

sábado, 2 de junho de 2012 04:20
  • Hi Swapnill99pro

That's incredibly good of you! Thank you. I already want to buy you a drink regardless of the outcome here. Do you have a website + Paypal donate button or similar? I'm serious.

Meanwhile I have been away a few days myself and just got back and found your most recent note. I have followed the Process Monitor instructions and hope I captured a log snapshot that's useful.

Here is the link! http://sdrv.ms/MfIsJk

Of course I understand you are busy so I will sit tight and check back periodically to see if you have been able to deduce anything from the logfile that might help. Meanwhile thank you again!

Best regards

Very old Dog.

quinta-feira, 7 de junho de 2012 03:27
  • Reading your Process Monitor log, I came to know that the two log files were created at C:\WINDOWS\Logs\DirectX.log and C:\WINDOWS\Logs\DXError.log successfully and some data was written to it. 

(don't know how they got deleted; do you use a cleaning program such as CCleaner or Comodo system cleaner???)

It will take a good amount of time to compare your log with a successful installation log. But meanwhile if you can find the mentioned logs, you may upload them.

quinta-feira, 7 de junho de 2012 06:25
  • Hi Swapnil99pro

Gosh I didn't know the logs were created in that location or even that there was a /Logs directory. Please forgive my ignorance; I had been looking in /Windows only. Yes I found both the logs and uploaded them. Here they both are:

DXError.log = http://sdrv.ms/KiMmNi

DirectX.log = http://sdrv.ms/MiUqTf

I hope they represent a time saver too. Thanks for all of this, a real learning curve for me too. (I didn't even know the skydrive facility existed before you told me!).

Regards

Very Old Dog.

quinta-feira, 7 de junho de 2012 15:53
  • Thankyou very much for those logs - otherwise I would have to spend hours just to find where was the error. Combining it with the Process Monitor log, I can now check what was DirectX setup trying to do when that error occurred. This makes my task 10 times easier. Thankyou very much, again.

I will reply by the weekend (or probably before that).

sexta-feira, 8 de junho de 2012 04:16
  • Hi Swapnil and VOD,

I am sorry to intrude, but I wonder if, while you're at it, you could help me out. I think I have a very similar, possibly identical problem, and I am amazed to find an effort at solution ongoing at exactly the right moment.

I have been trying to solve it for a long time, and have ended up deleting my directx file from the registry, in order to try a reinstall. I too haven't been able to achieve this, and instead get the error message telling me to refer to directx.log and dxerror.log, as well as a message telling me that the software hasn't passed windows logo testing. 

Previously, before deleting directx, I ran dxdiag and it told me I had version 9. Now I have deleted it, it obviously doesn't detect any directx version, but in the tab for directx files, which also seem to still exist for me, I also have a warning saying that gcdef.dll is an old version. 

I have uploaded my logs as well, in case they help. 

directx: http://sdrv.ms/Kqgruw

dxerror.log: http://sdrv.ms/KqgwhU

Thank you very much in advance for your help. This is a nightmare!

domingo, 10 de junho de 2012 01:39
  • Canary107 -

Please create your own post and not interject in this post - it will only lead to confusion - thank you.

Carey Frisch

domingo, 10 de junho de 2012 02:13
  • @Very Old Dog, download this registry key file (dxversion.reg) to your computer from my Skydrive.

After that, double-click the file and press Yes when asked whether to allow adding the information to registry. Then run the DirectX setup again. If an error comes again, please post the error logs.

(Note: If the reg file opens with Notepad instead, Press Windows key + R > type regedit and press Enter > File menu > Import. Now browse to the .reg file)

@Canary107, please create a new question in the Forums. The reason is that your error log is different. Till then you can also try to use the above registry key file.
    • Editado Swapnil99pro domingo, 10 de junho de 2012 06:10 Added more info
    • Marcado como Resposta Very Old Dog domingo, 10 de junho de 2012 16:12
    domingo, 10 de junho de 2012 05:04
  • Thought I's just try to be helpful anyway. I sorted my problem after many hours, by following instructions here. http://www.prasannatech.net/2009/01/directx-installation-problem-soultion.html

I think this may in essence be the same as you have now proposed. Basically it recognises the fact that the key lay with my registry, which I had messed up by deleting the directx files. So it walks you through recreating the necessary registry entries, setting version to 0 so that you can then run the update properly and ensure you have the latest version, then updating the version to reflect that you have the most recent. 

I suspect this is what you have prepared with your reg key file though.

domingo, 10 de junho de 2012 11:52
  • I suspect this is what you have prepared with your reg key file though.

Yes. 
    domingo, 10 de junho de 2012 12:34
  • Dear Swapnil99pro

I do declare Sir you are a GENIUS!!!

Yes! It worked!! Your registry fix worked first time and DirectX installed effortlessly! I do not understand what you did ("Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic" - Arthur C. Clarke) but it was brilliant! 'Thank you' is insufficient to express how I feel. There are so many avenues that have opened up to me now! - just one example, I want to start digitising my vast VHS video library to preserve the best of it in .mp4 format for use with my NAS and widescreen TV. The software I needed to start that process refused to install because it detected no DirectX, but now I can start that process and save my much loved film collection.

Swapnil99pro you are a STAR! I seriously want to thank you. How best can I do this? Do you have a Paypal button somewhere? If not, perhaps you'd like to nominate a charity? Some other thanks and recognition? Honestly this fix means so much to me because of all the options I now have that I have had to forgo for so long. It's exactly like you opened up another half of my computer to me. Thank you!!!

In much gratitude,

Very Old Dog.

domingo, 10 de junho de 2012 16:12
  • Yes! It worked!! Your registry fix worked first time and DirectX installed effortlessly! I do not understand what you did ("Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic" - Arthur C. Clarke) but it was brilliant! 'Thank you' is insufficient to express how I feel. There are so many avenues that have opened up to me now! - just one example, I want to start digitising my vast VHS video library to preserve the best of it in .mp4 format for use with my NAS and widescreen TV. The software I needed to start that process refused to install because it detected no DirectX, but now I can start that process and save my much loved film collection.

Swapnil99pro you are a STAR! I seriously want to thank you. How best can I do this? Do you have a Paypal button somewhere? If not, perhaps you'd like to nominate a charity? Some other thanks and recognition? Honestly this fix means so much to me because of all the options I now have that I have had to forgo for so long. It's exactly like you opened up another half of my computer to me. Thank you!!!

Nope. Anyone could find out what to do to fix the error by reading the logs (just like the person who blogged about how to fix this error did - the link in Canary107's post).

I am glad to see your problem solved. 

• Editado Swapnil99pro segunda-feira, 11 de junho de 2012 04:34
    segunda-feira, 11 de junho de 2012 04:31
  • Hi Swapnil99pro

Thank you for that anyway. As you won't accept payment (& didn't nominate a charity) I just donated ten pounds (GBP) to Cancer Research UK in thanks for your help. It would be more if I were working but alas money is tight these days. Thanks again and all the best to you!

Regards

Very Old Dog.

segunda-feira, 11 de junho de 2012 16:16