none
Insane/Unexplained Disk Usage

Întrebare

• Hi -

I recently built a new machine, two hard drives, one 60GB  SSD for Windows and the bare minimum, and then a 2TB for Program files storage etc.

After two days, I'm completely capped on the 60gb drive, and can't even begin to explain where all of the storage went or what Windows is doing.  I've unhidden all hidden and system files, and my folder properties look like this:

Program files x86 - 4.82gb

Program files - 1.81 gb

Windows - 16.9Gb

Users - 1.14GB

TOTAL if I select EVERYTHING in the C: drive: 27.3GB

That's exactly where I expected to be.  The real question is...when I go to the actual Drive, it tells me I have 896 MB out of 55.8 GB (where 5 gig of my 60 gig went, I dont know either, but I'm ussuming thats a drive format issue, not Windows).

Anyway, by my math, I should have about 30 GB left.  What am I missing, and how do I get this under control?

Thanks!
    JE

• Mutat de Carey FrischMVP, Moderator 22 martie 2012 00:22 Moved to more appropriate forum category (From:Windows 7 Installation, Setup, and Deployment)
    21 martie 2012 17:12

Răspunsuri

• JE

Here is my on-going list of things to do to reclaim disk space. Most of them are straightforward but if you feel apprehensive or unsure about running something, just ignore it. Here they are:

1. As you have a little spare space, download WinDirStat, which shows where disk space is being used, including a nice graphical display. Just let the mouse pointer hover over the coloured areas to identify different file types and large ‘chunks’ of used space. Download it here http://windirstat.info/ Remove the program after you’ve finished with it.

2. Reduce the amount of space used by system restore by going to Control Panel > All Control Panel Items > System > System Protection (in the left pane) > System Protection Tab > Configure and change the disk space allocation. Also, as you have a separate hard drive, more space can be released by moving the pagefile to it.

3. Delete any temporary files that may be left over from CD and DVD burning. Navigate to the hidden folder C:\Users\User Name\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Burn\Temporary Burn Folder and delete all the files.

4. Remove any programs that are no longer used, via Control Panel > All Control Panel Items > Programs and Features. You may also want to turn some Windows features off (in the left pane).

5. Disk cleanup removes unwanted files that accumulate over time. If you have installed SP1 (Service Pack 1) and are satisfied that it is behaving properly, a huge amount of disk space can be reclaimed, but be aware that SP1 can never be removed. Run it by going to Windows Orb (Start) > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools. Also, by going to the More Options Tab you have the option to remove all but the most recent restore point, which may include old backups. Be aware that by doing this you will lose all other restore points.

6. If you don't use Hibernation you can save almost the equivalent in hard drive space as the amount of RAM that is installed by turning it off. In a Run window (Windows Logo key+R), type powercfg.exe -h off (note the two spaces) and press Enter. To turn it back on type powercfg.exe -h on and press Enter.

7. Reduce the space used by the Recycle Bin by right-clicking the Bin, clicking Properties > Custom Size and amend as necessary.

8. Remove any other files that you may have overlooked in the past, e.g. old videos, also look in the Downloads folder for unwanted items.

22 martie 2012 08:13
  • Hi,

Since Windows back up your system data before updating and so on, and these backups take large space.

You could turn off or modify the maximum disk space used for system protect.
    Control Panel > All Control Panel Items > System > System Protection (in the left pane) > System Protection Tab > Configure allows you to delete restore points, change the settings and change the disk space allocation.

Another method is to change it with command line, please run the below command as administrator:
    vssadmin risize shadowstorage /for=C: /on=C: /maxsize=2GB  

For your frequently updating or installing new programs, please delete all the system restore points but the recent one.

Here is an artile can be referred to.

Strategies for freeing disk space

To delete the temporality files and uninstall the no longer used program is recommended.

Hope that helps.
    24 martie 2012 01:00

Toate mesajele

• JE

Here is my on-going list of things to do to reclaim disk space. Most of them are straightforward but if you feel apprehensive or unsure about running something, just ignore it. Here they are:

1. As you have a little spare space, download WinDirStat, which shows where disk space is being used, including a nice graphical display. Just let the mouse pointer hover over the coloured areas to identify different file types and large ‘chunks’ of used space. Download it here http://windirstat.info/ Remove the program after you’ve finished with it.

2. Reduce the amount of space used by system restore by going to Control Panel > All Control Panel Items > System > System Protection (in the left pane) > System Protection Tab > Configure and change the disk space allocation. Also, as you have a separate hard drive, more space can be released by moving the pagefile to it.

3. Delete any temporary files that may be left over from CD and DVD burning. Navigate to the hidden folder C:\Users\User Name\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Burn\Temporary Burn Folder and delete all the files.

4. Remove any programs that are no longer used, via Control Panel > All Control Panel Items > Programs and Features. You may also want to turn some Windows features off (in the left pane).

5. Disk cleanup removes unwanted files that accumulate over time. If you have installed SP1 (Service Pack 1) and are satisfied that it is behaving properly, a huge amount of disk space can be reclaimed, but be aware that SP1 can never be removed. Run it by going to Windows Orb (Start) > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools. Also, by going to the More Options Tab you have the option to remove all but the most recent restore point, which may include old backups. Be aware that by doing this you will lose all other restore points.

6. If you don't use Hibernation you can save almost the equivalent in hard drive space as the amount of RAM that is installed by turning it off. In a Run window (Windows Logo key+R), type powercfg.exe -h off (note the two spaces) and press Enter. To turn it back on type powercfg.exe -h on and press Enter.

7. Reduce the space used by the Recycle Bin by right-clicking the Bin, clicking Properties > Custom Size and amend as necessary.

8. Remove any other files that you may have overlooked in the past, e.g. old videos, also look in the Downloads folder for unwanted items.

22 martie 2012 08:13
  • Hi,

Since Windows back up your system data before updating and so on, and these backups take large space.

You could turn off or modify the maximum disk space used for system protect.
    Control Panel > All Control Panel Items > System > System Protection (in the left pane) > System Protection Tab > Configure allows you to delete restore points, change the settings and change the disk space allocation.

Another method is to change it with command line, please run the below command as administrator:
    vssadmin risize shadowstorage /for=C: /on=C: /maxsize=2GB  

For your frequently updating or installing new programs, please delete all the system restore points but the recent one.

Here is an artile can be referred to.

Strategies for freeing disk space

To delete the temporality files and uninstall the no longer used program is recommended.

Hope that helps.
    24 martie 2012 01:00