none
Windows 7 Battery meter - not enough options.

Discuţie generală

• In vista I was able to select from 3 power plan settings for my laptop: "Power Saver", "Balanced", and "High Performance."  I have these settings highly customized, and switch between them a lot.  A simple click on the battery meter and I had all of my options right there: 2 clicks and I'm good.

In Windows 7, someone decided that they were going to put "High Performance" in "additional plan" group.  They also decided that they maximum number of plans available in the battery meter is 2.  This means that 50% of the time, when I want to change power plans I have to click on the battery monitor, click on more plans, show additional plans, pick the plan that I want, and then close the window.  This gets very annoying after a short period of time.

Is there any way to increase the number of plans shown in the battery meter?  Or at least is there a way to set which plans I want to show in the battery meter?

Thanks for your time,
    Kairos
    14 februarie 2009 01:32

Toate mesajele

• The recent Springboard public chat went into 'powercfg' command line settings that will be a feature of Win7.
    Rating posts helps other users
    Mark L. Ferguson MS-MVP
    14 februarie 2009 14:26
  • Mark L. Ferguson said:

The recent Springboard public chat went into 'powercfg' command line settings that will be a feature of Win7.

Tell me again how that's helpful for average users?

Oh sure, sure, I can write a batch file or two to script the profile changes, but why should I need to, and how does anyone expect a typical user to know that.

I submitted this feedback to the Feedback system, but it was "rejected" as "too late in the development stage" for that type of design issue. As a laptop and Tablet PC user, this would simplify power management.

I'll also point out that this is one of the few areas in Windows 7 where they have ADDED clicks/steps to accomplish a task, and it is counter-productive to what Windows 7 is trying to accomplish.
    15 februarie 2009 14:34
  •   'powercfg' command line settings
    So does that mean this is linux? Like GoodThings2Life said, that doesn't help the average user. It should be as simple for the user as dragging-and-dropping a power plan from the "hide additional plans" to the "plans shown on the battery meter". if not dnd, then a button to move a plan up.

But more than that, I still can't understand why plans are always hidden. 2 plans shown by default?!? Yea, amazing. All the plans should be shown on the battery meter, unless the number of plans are something ridiculous like >10. But who the heck has that many power plans?
    18 mai 2009 13:21
  • The recent Springboard public chat went into 'powercfg' command line settings that will be a feature of Win7.
    Like already mentioned by other users, as non-professional windows user, I don't understand this at all.

Is there are solution to this problem or can it not be fixed?
    16 august 2009 16:42
  • Yes it is the first disatvantage that I meet.
    And I still not able to find how to change it to 3 items.
    I dont know why enginers of Microsoft remake this menu, but it was a bad idea...
    Please, if you find how to fix it plase tell me.
    Thanks!
    21 august 2009 22:13
  • Really, UI designers, thank you for making it easier to use the power meter in Win7. Three options were so incredibly hard to use. Now that we have only two, usability has shot up through the ceiling. </sarcasm>

Frankly, the "Power plans shown on battery meter" is a perfect example of how to maximize user frustration. Here's a very useful-looking UI feature, now if only I could actually get the power plans I want to use to stay there, now that would be just marvellous. But hey, some very smart guy thought 2 was enough.

Here's a tip: scrap the broken auto-guessing of what to hide or show. Automation that does the wrong thing is much more annoying than no automation. The current logic can hide the plan you were using just now - based on something I can't even see (namely, which plan it was originally derived from). How does hiding a just-used plan make any UI sense whatsoever?

Instead, when I click "Change power settings", give me a link that says "Show on battery meter" or "Hide from battery meter", depending on its current state. When I activate a hidden plan, change it to "Show". If you must limit it to N entries, then hide the least recently used plan when N is reached, and for Pete's sake, if N is 2 then make it registry-tweakable.

Also, how about letting me delete an active power plan, or at the very least, instead of HIDING the option, explain why I cannot delete it. And since we're on it... how about a "Rename" link right next to that "Delete" link? Or at least a note when creating a plan that the name is permanent ?

Frustration is maximized by allowing the user to feel they can almost do something but actually making it impossible. Thank you thank you thank you.
    • Editat de Roman.St 28 august 2009 12:15 formatting
    28 august 2009 12:12
  • I have the same "problem", my english is terrible, but I agree that this feature must be at least registry tweakable as romkyns says... Perhaps in SP1? Please!!
    22 septembrie 2009 04:32
  • Just now, frustrated that I can't quickly put my laptop into High Performance mode, I thought

"Surely there's some setting somewhere to let me customize this menu"

So I searched, and I found this thread. My frustration increased.

David
    6 octombrie 2009 20:50
  • I know this doesn't give you what you want, but here's at least the why about it.

The idea was that normal users shouldn't have to worry about changing their power profile.  In fact, if the user never ever had to touch it, that'd be ideal.  They are trying (very hard) to encourage everyone to leave it on balanced.  Balanced is just as good as High Performance, because it allows the CPU to use 100%, etc.  If there isn't a lot of demand, it can also throttle it back (High Performance keeps the CPU at 100% even if no processes need it, causing power waste and a hot computer/laptop, etc).  Since Balanced is a great choice and yeilds power/performance efficiency that finally rivals a certain fruit-flavored computer company, they are trying to keep power out-of-sight and out-of-mind.

Like I said, I know it doesn't help, but that's the goal.  I'm sure they'll add more customization back in Windows 8 and claim it's a "victory for our users, we heard your requests, etc etc"

6 octombrie 2009 21:20
  • Makes sense. I've got the High Performance and Balanced profiles nearly the same, except with different screen brightnesses... screen brightness is the main reason I swap between profiles. I know I can just do that manually with the keyboard shortcut, but I'm using a tablet PC so using the keyboard isn't always an option. There are other options (desktop shortcuts etc) that I use quite happily, but its annoying to see a place where the functionality should be that doesn't work.

David
    6 octombrie 2009 21:40
  • That's not a good reason.
    1. The battery options are already "out of sight, out of mind" because they're hidden behind the icon and in the control panel. The average 'idiot' user who MS is trying to simply this for never clicks on that icon to change the power settings in the first place. If the average 'idiot' user ever touched anything in the tray, they wouldn't have a history of having 50 stupid icons down there. The average 'idiot' user that MS is targeting just opens IE, Word, Outlook, Excel, etc and doesn't touch anything else.   Limiting the options is just an annoyance for us 'power users' while adding no advantages for 'idiot' users.
    2. There are things other than CPU power that are controlled by the power plans. For example, screen brightness, automatic sleep mode, and password prompt on wake-from-sleep. The balanced plan doesn't satisfy here. For example, I made a "power source optimized" plan because i want these settings adjusted based on if i'm plugged in or on battery. Ok, so that plan and balanced are shown in the menu. So if i have any need for battery saver, high performance, or possibly another customized plan, i'm stuck.  I don't even mind the 2-plan limit (though i'm sure other do), but i simply hate the fact that there is 1 or 2 options permanently welded in place.
    6 octombrie 2009 23:57
  • I too agree that this is aggravating to me and I have already had clients complaining to me about it.

There should be a way to change it for the peple who want to, Not dumb it down to compete with some fruit.  What happened to common sense? 

Mike
    24 octombrie 2009 00:13
  • I would like to start off by saying that this is the first time I post in these forums, and the only time I've visited. Such was my frustration that I googled the exact same problem you're all talking about here only to find there's no solution!

Like someone before said, why was the menu even changed at all from the way Vista had it? If it ain't broke, don't fix it!!

In Vista I had my own profiles which were always on the battery meter because I always used them, and now I have to click countless number of times just go do what I could do perfectly well in Vista. This is extremely frustrating from a user point of view. I don't care what Microsoft's justification for this was, it was a dumb move.

I hope it gets fixed sooner rather than later.

Frustrating.
    26 octombrie 2009 13:01
  • Agreed.  Please fix this.  I can put up with two extra clicks in the meantime. 
    28 octombrie 2009 03:45
    So we are supposed to stop using the GUI? Isn't that the whole purpose of Windows?
    29 octombrie 2009 03:04
  • I also agree! This needs sorting ASAP!

The first real disadvantage of Windows 7 in my opinion.
    29 octombrie 2009 23:40
  • I agree. Please fix this. How frustrating.
    1 noiembrie 2009 10:04
  • I agree too! I was searching for houres how to change the maximum visible power plans in the battery monitor tray... How frustrating...
    6 decembrie 2009 19:24
  • I ended up here searching for a solution. This is a stupid thing to change, indeed.
    7 decembrie 2009 05:11
  • why won't they fix this??? such b/s...
    4 ianuarie 2010 10:09
  • I too are enoyed by this. There should be a way to specify which power plans you want to show. Or a way to delete the balanced power plan cuz i dont want to see or use that. It's either High Performance or Power Saver for me. The dude who decided the change needs to get fired.
    5 ianuarie 2010 11:44
  • what they ought to do is mimic jumplists... drag and drop the power plans you use. only no right click.
    or even have a setting hidden in the control panel options that could be changed that most users would never even stumble across but advanced users could easily change.
    Agreed, the 1st real disadvantage of Windows 7 :(
    13 ianuarie 2010 07:29
  • Microsoft is always starting adds with "We listened to the users..."
    So please listen to us again and show all the available or at least more than two power plans.
    13 ianuarie 2010 09:14
  • Well a friend of mine had this idea that if they didn't muck up a working feature like this then they wouldn't have much to listen to in the next version of windows. I bet it'll be fixed, and I bet they'll say they listened to you once again, and it'll even be true.

But it's broken until then, and you'll have to pay to upgrade.
    13 ianuarie 2010 09:58
  • I agree with this thread - it's thoroughly frustrating that I can't easily switch to "Power Saver" and "High Performance" directly, since they are the only options I use, since I'm a gamer, and when I'm not gaming, I will use "Power Saver" as I am fully aware of all this climate change, global warming and CO2 emissions.

Unfortunately for Microsoft (if it was their aim, making people use "Balanced" more than "High Performance") I'm using "High Performance" most of the time, because I'm forgetting I can switch my power option, because it's more of a chore to do. 

Really, Microsoft, what was your aim for doing this? If it was done on purpose to show that you "listen to your users" and improve on your "problems", that's a severely poor attitude for your customers. It makes me think that Vista was released with faults on purpose, so people would think better of Windows 7 and rush to buy it after using Vista because of its pretty interface. That just gives me a lower opinion of them, in all honesty.
    25 ianuarie 2010 19:14
  • I agree with this thread too - when I moved from XP to 7, it was nearly the first thing, that I observed this during the windows configurations/customisations and driver setups. For me, 3 power settings were the ideal, it is a little weird that it's only 2 (after winXP had more than 3)...

So, pleeease fix this.. I think that not only the users who wrote on this page have this problem - there are many users bored of searching and foruming because of this thing (I personally know 5 of them).
    27 ianuarie 2010 10:51
  • Hey Everyone,

I have found a way that at least makes the route to the options smaller...

Press the "windows key" + "X key" together to acces the windows mobility center... Try and see the options :)

Greetz Jelle 
    29 ianuarie 2010 09:41
  • Hey Everyone,

I have found a way that at least makes the route to the options smaller...

Press the "windows key" + "X key" together to acces the windows mobility center... Try and see the options :)

Greetz Jelle 
    29 ianuarie 2010 09:42
  • Thanks for the tip Jelle00001.

The list that shows in the mobility center actually has 3 items, so this improves usability by 50%. ;)

/Jimmy
    1 februarie 2010 10:52
  •  This is my long time issue.. I'm now at my office desk.. lemme try at home n then post a thanks :P :P
    3 mai 2010 07:38
  • Click: Battery Metter on Lower Right> More Power Options> Change Plan Settings> Change Advance Power Settings> Processor Power Management> Minimum Processor State> On battery: 0% - Plugged in: 0%> Maximum Processor State> On battery: 100% - Plugged in: 100%

Hope this helps, this was another alternative I tried and it seems to do better than what it was, I modded the (Balanced) settings. Yes I agree that there should be a high performace setting on the power options and there isnt =(

6 mai 2010 22:33
  • I can't believe how long this issue has been bugging people - and yet no fix! But thank you for the info on the "why." I still think we should have more options in the system tray, but I'm back to "Balanced" instead of "High Performance" after reading this post. Hadn't thought about the heating up issue.
    27 august 2010 15:26
  • What am I missing here? This route still gives me just the same two options that show with the batter meter icon . . .
    27 august 2010 15:36
  • *sigh*

Once again Microsoft fails...

Just fix it, what's the problem? Hire someone to do it. I'm sure you make enough money on this expensive OS to hire just one more person to fix all these ridiculous issues.

29 septembrie 2010 20:37
  • I figured out a way to fix it (kind of), at least if you only use 2 custom plans and you want those two on your battery meter - base one of the plans off of the official "Balanced" plan.

I use two modes, both custom:  'My Default' for regular use (ORIGINALLY** this was the "High Performance" plan but with a longer hard disk off, longer display off, and hibernate instead of sleep) and 'Sleep' mode for when I'm listening to music while going to sleep (It's "Power Saver" but with longer hard disk off, shorter display off, and shorter hibernate than my custom 'Default' so that it shuts off after the playlist is done).  I used to have this problem in that I could only get one of these plans to show up on the battery meter (whichever one I was using) along with the official "Balanced" plan, which was always on the Battery meter.

**However, once I changed "My Default" to be based off of "Balanced" instead of "High Performance" (though I still changed the disk, display, and sleep/hibernate setting to what they were in my original custom plan), it replaced the official "Balanced" plan on the battery meter.  Now, I can have both plans to show up on the meter.

Hope this helps...but yeah if you want 3 to show, you're still screwed...

18 octombrie 2010 07:42
  • Sorry for the ignorance havn't bothered to read the whole thing I can only guess from experience what all is about.

Maybe you will find and usefull answer here.

http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7desktop/thread/fd4f4a4a-46e0-4648-acb2-e3b898aecb8a

31 decembrie 2010 14:43
  • I've been following this thread [& similar ones] and agree with the opinions given.

For Michael Eggleston

Your 18 Oct 2010 entry caught my eye as I've just spend some time working out how to set up the PowerSaver plan to allow me to listen to music [Media Player] as I fall asleep then have more music to wake me up again the next morning [Task scheduler].  I've now got a version of Power Saver that continues to the end of my playlist [irrespective of its duration] or to when I click Pause on the Media Player before then going into the 1 minute before sleeping or whatever sleep conditions I set up.

All I had to do to achieve this was a single change to the registry implemented using Command Prompt in Administrator mode.  It's Windows 7 coding that ought to work with Vista as well.  I'm on Win7x64 but the codes are common to all. 

POWERCFG -SETDCVALUEINDEX a1841308-3541-4fab-bc81-f71556f20b4a 238c9fa8-0aad-41ed-83f4-97be242c8f20 a4b195f5-8225-47d8-8012-9d41369786e2 1

This tells the system to accept application requests to stay on even when it's on battery power [Power Saver already accepted them on AC].  I have found that USB connections can cause erratic behaviour but I don't need any when I'm turning in for the night.

I can explain the details if you want but it is essentially: Power Configuration utility, set a battery control value, PowerSaver scheme code, Subgroup code, Power Setting code, the setting value itself [its default value was 0 which means reject all such application requests].

I hope this is useful. 

30 ianuarie 2011 03:57
  • moI know this doesn't give you what you want, but here's at least the why about it.

The idea was that normal users shouldn't have to worry about changing their power profile.  In fact, if the user never ever had to touch it, that'd be ideal.  They are trying (very hard) to encourage everyone to leave it on balanced.  Balanced is just as good as High Performance, because it allows the CPU to use 100%, etc.  If there isn't a lot of demand, it can also throttle it back (High Performance keeps the CPU at 100% even if no processes need it, causing power waste and a hot computer/laptop, etc).  Since Balanced is a great choice and yeilds power/performance efficiency that finally rivals a certain fruit-flavored computer company, they are trying to keep power out-of-sight and out-of-mind.

Like I said, I know it doesn't help, but that's the goal.  I'm sure they'll add more customization back in Windows 8 and claim it's a "victory for our users, we heard your requests, etc etc"

This was the only informative part of this post. Thanks for informing me, really appreciate your post.
    8 martie 2011 23:02
  • Really, UI designers, thank you for making it easier to use the power meter in Win7. Three options were so incredibly hard to use. Now that we have only two, usability has shot up through the ceiling. </sarcasm>

Frankly, the "Power plans shown on battery meter" is a perfect example of how to maximize user frustration. Here's a very useful-looking UI feature, now if only I could actually get the power plans I want to use to stay there, now that would be just marvellous. But hey, some very smart guy thought 2 was enough.

Here's a tip: scrap the broken auto-guessing of what to hide or show. Automation that does the wrong thing is much more annoying than no automation. The current logic can hide the plan you were using just now - based on something I can't even see (namely, which plan it was originally derived from). How does hiding a just-used plan make any UI sense whatsoever?

Instead, when I click "Change power settings", give me a link that says "Show on battery meter" or "Hide from battery meter", depending on its current state. When I activate a hidden plan, change it to "Show". If you must limit it to N entries, then hide the least recently used plan when N is reached, and for Pete's sake, if N is 2 then make it registry-tweakable.

Also, how about letting me delete an active power plan, or at the very least, instead of HIDING the option, explain why I cannot delete it. And since we're on it... how about a "Rename" link right next to that "Delete" link? Or at least a note when creating a plan that the name is permanent ?

Frustration is maximized by allowing the user to feel they can almost do something but actually making it impossible. Thank you thank you thank you.

I agree exactly as stated by romkyns.

14 martie 2011 20:46
  • I really love the new battery meter in the system tray, but it is incredibly annoying that I can't choose which plans are in that list.

I want the Extended Battery Life (Max run-time.) plan and my High Performance Custom on that list at all times.

It doesn't matter why those are the ones I want, or how I use them, it simply matters that those are the ones I WANT.

Why in the world Microsoft gave us an incredibly useful option, only to then cripple it and turn it into an annoying feature I wish were customizable is beyond me.

Renaming a plan would be a great option as well.

14 martie 2011 20:50
  • Could you not tailor the PowerSaver & Balanced plans to match the plans you created?  That's what I did.  To check that the matching was complete, I ran powercfg -qh [to include hidden properties in the list] for each plan and compared them entry by entry
    14 martie 2011 22:52
  • The fact that this thread is 2 years old and there is no solution pisses me off. Yeah, I could modify the Balanced plan to be my new High Performance and live with the fact that I cannot change the name of the power plan. But what I want most of all is to SHOW THREE POWER PLANS IN THE TRAY. It saddens me greatly that every response by a Microsoft emplyee appears generated by a bot. Please, won't someone in Redmond (not New Dehli) respond to our request?!? FIX THIS. IT's NOT THAT HARD. IT WORKED IN VISTA. Seriously, did anyone complain about having too many power plan choices in Vista?
    22 martie 2011 16:16
  • What is a BIIIG annoyance about the whole power management is the fact that all warnings regarding low battery power status are gone within a few seconds.

Honestly, nobody will see the yellow warning sign "!" in the system tray area - so if you are not at your laptop for two minutes and the battery alarm pops up while you are away, you are lost.

IMHO, the power warning HAS TO BE a modal, always-on-top type window that has to stay there until confirmed by the user....

5 aprilie 2011 10:14
  • I bet nobody complained... once again they broke one of the golden rules of software development... don't fix something unless it is broken - once more a lot of development time simply wasted.
    5 aprilie 2011 10:16
  • Please fix this annoying problem...
    11 mai 2011 20:25
  • Well the only "fix" that I have been happy with is using BatteryBar. A simple click and you have all your power plans available to you while also providing detailed information about power consumption and battery remaining.
    26 iulie 2011 03:46
  • YES! I agree!  Your post basically summed up everything I'm frustrated with... YOU should have been on the Microsoft team  >.<  *cries*

They should have it where I can CHOOSE WHICH Power Plan I want shown on the Battery Meter  :(    OR, have it where the MOST FREQUENTLY used Power Plans show up on the Battery Meter!

This is just one of the MANY problems I have had with Windows7... I want my old laptop back  :(

• Editat de Ellette 16 noiembrie 2011 17:38
    16 noiembrie 2011 17:37
  • Who are the Microsoft people to say what an AVERAGE user will use as a power plan???? 

I bought my computer specifically for GAMING... I need to be able to switch to High Performance quickly... 

There is NO REASON for Microsoft to have done this  :(   there are SO MANY other options they could have implemented...  :(

I'm not trying to yell at you, I'm just so frustrated with Microsoft *sigh*

16 noiembrie 2011 17:41
  • ColorNapkin, same here!  I have never posted on a forum before, but I was SO FRUSTRATED with this.. that I had to Google it  @_@!  This is madness!
    16 noiembrie 2011 17:43
  • Thank you MowLiao!  I completely agree with you; I'm a gamer too and it's why I purchased this new laptop... but with this stupid Battery Meter/Power Option crap... I want my old crappy laptop with Vista back!!!!  This is so frustrating!!!! 

I think it is stupid that Microsoft would ASSUME that MOST USERS use Balanced or Battery Save mode... This is not the case!!!!  How about they stop trying to tell me what I SHOULD use, and let ME DECIDE what Power Options I want displayed on my Battery Meter~!

16 noiembrie 2011 17:48
  • EXACTLY eightpthree!!  This is crazy  :(

All these complaints.. for so long.. and such an EASY fix... and NO FIX~! 

WHY?! >.<

16 noiembrie 2011 17:55
  • I went to other forums about this and still no solution (after 2 years of complaints)...

I am tired of people saying WHY Microsoft made it the way it is... that does not help... CLEARLY, A LOT of people want 3 battery options displayed in the Battery Meter... I do not want EXCUSES for why Microsoft f'ed up!  JUST FIX IT; IT'S NOT THAT HARD  >.<

and thanks for all the people who tried to give semi-solutions to this problem, but the fact is, THIS SHOULD BE CHANGED!  I shouldn't have to bend over backwards to get something so simple to work!!

I bought my laptop for gaming purposes.  Also, I'm a college student, so I am CONSTANTLY having to carry my laptop around (unplugged); I'm always switching the power options!  I switch between Battery Saver mode & High Performance modeNOT Battery Saver & Balanced!

Many people say "oh well they made it for stupid people.."  (or old people); instead of making everyone else suffer with these stupid designs, why don't people just learn how to use their frickin computers!  It's not my fault that some old people don't know how to use their computer and we shouldn't have to suffer the consequences.  

Would it confuse old people THAT MUCH to have 3 Power Options instead of 2 Power Options ?!

This design did NOT simplify/make easier ANYTHING!

PLEASE CHANGE THIS ALREADY!!!! >=[

• Editat de Ellette 16 noiembrie 2011 18:10
    16 noiembrie 2011 18:10
  • Once again looking for the easy Windows 7 fix that must be one Google search away, once again disappointed!.  I'd like to see more than 2 plans when clicking the battery meter in the taskbar.  Simplified !=  reduced functionality.

I have, however been able to display my custom plans (though only 2 of them).

Since some are having trouble with this I'm posting the steps below.  (tested working on Win7 SP1 x64)

1. Click Battery and choose "More power options"

2. Configure and save at least one custom power plan (more if you're so inclined).  If your plans are already setup, go to steep 3.

3. Select the "Balanced (recommended)" plan and close the Power Options Window.

4. Once again, open the Power Options window (see step 1) and select a custom plan to display in the 2-Item power options list, then close the window.

5. Repeat the last step for the other plan that you would like to see from the taskbar.  You may have to go back and forth a few times but they will eventually stick (see image above)

Hope this helps someone!

22 decembrie 2011 06:59
  • Good suggestion :)

You can just use your keyboard to get to the screen you need: windows button + x ---> then press "O" (for power options) and you're there.  I'm satisfied; that's fine, I'll live with that and return to smiling where once there were only frowns...

24 mai 2013 23:59
  • Please use this service to "fix" this problem. It will not correct the windows issues, but it will allow you to quickly change the power plans for no charge. 

Search the following in google to find the application (it is the first link currently): source forge powplan. The link is, "sourceforge.net/projects/powplan", for those who are willing to follow links.

6 ianuarie 2014 19:54