none
Folder Size in Explorer, Windows 7

Discuţie generală

• Dear Readers:

I would like to know if Windows 7 includes the option to view Folder Size in the Explorer window interface (an option similar to viewing [file] Size)?  I have attempted to use various software to do this in Windows Vista such as Tree Size Professional but the help files say that Windows Vista does not allow viewing of Folder Sizes in Explorer.

Sincerely,
    penciline
    11 septembrie 2009 16:24

Toate mesajele

• Not that I can find. The only way to get the size is to right click and select Properties.
    12 septembrie 2009 03:39
  • I've been using this in XP for ages. It works well!
    I guess it works with W7
    Just replace the Size column in explorer for the Folder Size column... then you get exactly what you want!
    It takes a tiny amount of time to calc the folder sizes for big folders, but you don't notice it.  Be careful with removable drives... i've had a little bit of corruption once, but it didn't eject it properly, so it's mostly my fault.

19 septembrie 2009 12:36
  • That doesn't work with windows 7.
    20 septembrie 2009 12:16
  • As it appears someone somewhere in MS does read these things, I'd like to add my voice to those clamoring for this feature. In response to the usual reason for not including it, huge corporate servers that would be brought to a grinding halt by use of such a feature, I would like to point out that such corporations generally neuter the copies of Windows distributed to their machines, and could easily remove the feature. I like knowing about my files and folders.
    10 octombrie 2009 16:46
  • sorry folder sizes does not work in windows 7 have tried both 32 bit and 64 bit versions.
    24 octombrie 2009 19:09
  • The above Folder size addon doesn't work but not because it is not compatible with Windows 7. Because MS entirely removed the shell interface which allowed developers to write column handler extensions in Explorer. Way to go MS. I guess my XP box isn't old at all. That OS does WHAT I WANT, not WHAT YOU WANT.

Anonymuos
    8 decembrie 2009 08:12
  • Microsoft suck. I really resent them for not giving me a folder size option. I have fast SSD hard drives, it would take 10 seconds to scan my entire system, but oh no, microsoft know best.....MS you suck
    22 ianuarie 2010 13:14
  • Use ShellToysXP it works like a bomb... http://www.shelltoysxp.com/
    28 ianuarie 2010 09:48
  • You have the right to switch to another Operating System supplier
    31 ianuarie 2010 19:53
  • How do I use ShellToys to display folder sizes without right-clicking?  I would like Folder Size to appear as a tab item in the top of the Windows Explorer window along with Name, Type, Size, Date Modified, etc.
    31 ianuarie 2010 21:41
    You missed the point of my post entirely.  I have different OS's on different computers but was wondering why this functionality was removed from the last two incarnations of the Windows OS.
    31 ianuarie 2010 22:16

You have the right to keep your unhelpful posts to yourself.

There really is no reason why MS have a) failed to implement folder sizes for home users, and b) crippled third party tools like Folder Size.

I don't care about corporate file trees. If I have a home computer I should be able to rank folders based on their size within Windows Explorer. Anyone who doesn't recognise that is either dumb or blinkered by Microsoft's arbitrary feature editing.

Windows 7 is crippled because of this. It could be so much better.

If you never need to find which folders are the largest on your hard drives then I suggest you are quite a basic PC user, and should probably not be posting on this forum.

And tell me this - if it's such a dumb idea, why has Mac OS had it since, well, forever?
    3 februarie 2010 11:45
  • Here is a long list of reasons why viewing folder size is important http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/forums/en-US/windowsgeneraldevelopmentissues/thread/2056b237-574d-483c-8ecd-f2842dd70081/

I challenge any pro-MS automatons to justify to me why hovering over every folder (and then presumably writing down the results for comparison?) is an appropriate method to clean out my harddrive by finding which folders take up the most room.

If, as we shall see, you're unable to justify MS's exclusion of folder size, please post here, and we'll see if they take notice and listen.
    3 februarie 2010 15:35
  • Yes, I find it difficult to believe Windows 7 actually has less capabilities in this area than Windows XP.  I find it very frustrating.

Simon.
    Melbourne, Australia
    25 februarie 2010 11:53
  • Install SequoiaView . It gives you a lovely cushion tree map that makes it very easy to see what folders and what files are using up all your drive space. Works from XP to Windows 7 Ultimate

Rich Why can't I be different and original like everybody else? - Vivian Stanshal
    4 martie 2010 03:24
  • SequoiaView is not as useful as simply having a column of folder sizes which you can sort ascending or descending with one click. This would be easy and useful. How can Microsoft deny that?
    4 martie 2010 11:45
  • LOL!  Oh yeah, that makes things SO easy to see...  Intutive as all getout!  I'm sorry; it's a helpful post.  But I really did laugh when I saw that SequoiaView screen.

Here's a freeware alternative with a little better interface that I find useful: 

Scanner
      - http://www.steffengerlach.de/freeware/

-Noel
    4 martie 2010 14:44
  • Here is a free Folder Size tool.
    It is really good!

Folder Size
    9 aprilie 2010 22:47
  • It works and has good info, but every time you open it, it has to rescan the entire drive. That takes a long time.

About the only thing that would make this useful for me would be if it had a service that ran in the background on low priority and scanned the drives ahead of time, so when you actually wanted to see the data, it would be there quickly. Of course that would cause people to gripe about another unneeded service running at boot time.

Rich Why can't I be different and original like everybody else? - Vivian Stanshal
    10 aprilie 2010 18:43
  • I agree wholeheartedly that the column Folder Size should be an optional column! I would find it immensely useful.

I was thinking that a fairly useful alternative (when arguing how very deep and very large contents and very large number of files could slow down exploring too much) would be to simply give the folder size in the Preview/Info area at the bottom of Explorer when you select a folder. At least this would change it to 1 step from the 4 steps of: right-click, move mouse to point to Properties, click on Properties, close Properties.

Severely disappointing that MS removed the shell interface for 3rd party software to add explorer columns.

I seriously want this feature. It is FAR too slow to try to clean out my HDDs when I need to find the biggest folders that I don't need.

12 aprilie 2010 19:59
  • There already is a Size column.  It's just not filled in with anything in the case of folders!  Why not?  Microsoft appears to have chosen to put their new and not-so-bright people on the Explorer project, which IMO is a dismal failure in Windows 7.  I'm sorry to publicly proclaim this but credit needs to be given where due.  They have completely offset the wonderful improvements made to Windows in other places.

Explorer gives us access to our files.  With an object oriented system (more or less), the file is the center of everything...  Double click it to open, right-click it to print or compile or scan it or send it somewhere or...  Yet it's pretty clear that Explorer in Vista, and XP before that, worked better than Explorer in Windows 7.

The one thing that Microsoft could and should do to save face with Explorer is to release an ABSOLUTELY DYNAMITE Explorer rewrite in Service Pack 1.  Waiting until Windows 8 (or "Windows Glitz" or whatever the marketeers choose to call it) will be TOO LATE!

FYI, there's a somewhat useful workaround to this issue in the ClassicShell freeware app by IvoSoft...  Clicking on a folder with ClassicShell's ClassicExplorer component installed DOES yield a folder size in the status bar.  To wit, note the number near the bottom right of this screen grab:

ClassicShell is available here:  http://classicshell.sourceforge.net/

-Noel

12 aprilie 2010 20:25
  • Cool, I really liked the look of that Classic Shell app. I installed it and it allowed me to view the File, Edit... toolbar and select View -> Status bar. It also gave me the UP arrow for going up in the folder hierarchy. But the status bar didn't show folder sizes. It didn't add any other kind of toolbar with all those other buttons like copy, paste and ____... which I didn't want it to add anyways. But ya, doesn't look like it works properly in Vista. I'll try it on 7 when I install it.
    13 aprilie 2010 00:15
  • It's not just about folder sizes. Column handlers for other info like file extension also don't work. I can only sort by file type, no longer by file extension. MS should not have removed IColumnProvider. Then again, the shell team has ____ raped Explorer in so many places that it's virtually useless.
    Anonymuos
    9 mai 2010 20:19
  • Why does this application try to access the Internet?
    29 mai 2010 18:25
  • I have been using windows 7 64 bit for the last two days now. I have moved from Windows XP. I have to see that I really like Windows 7. 

BUT, I am sorry but you have to have a file size option. There is no way to get around it it, and not having it is shear incompetence. I do not know how I am going to do all the file swapping and management if I can not see a folder sizes. 

Who in the right mind felt is was a good idea to leave this out? Using file sizes is second nature with regard to my perception of what is in a folder. It is crucial for my interfacing. 

Please, Please, Please Microsoft give us an alternative. 

9 iunie 2010 18:54
  • Losing the ability to use Folder Size actually put me off using Win7 as anything other than a test system for a while. Now I've started using Win7 day-to-day, I'm using Free Commander, a file manager which will show you the folder sizes if you do Alt+F9. Takes a while to scan but it's a familiar UI for those who remember Norton Commander...
    11 iunie 2010 03:33
  • Try this http://www.explorerxp.com/

Its for XP but u can use the advanced options to runas winxp app in win7

26 iunie 2010 06:26
  • Here is a free Folder Size tool.
    It is really good!

Folder Size
    Thanks for this tip, it was exactly what I needed.  I only care about folder size when I'm trying to clear stuff off my hard drives, and as such only need to know every few months or so.  I don't mind the scanning when I open the program.  Thanks!
    27 iunie 2010 17:34
  • Here you go guys, this works in vista, xp and windows 7

How to Display Folder Size in Windows Explorer

i always tell my cousin how well balanced windows 2000 NT was, then came xp and we were somewhat happy, but vista and windows  7 has gone down the drain for me, not sure what MS is thinking but i hope they get a handle on things and fixed these minor issues.

7 iulie 2010 09:17
  • Sorry, but I don't believe Folder Size works in Vista or Windows 7.
    7 iulie 2010 11:25
  • Directory Report is a good tool for showing your folder sizes
    http://www.file-utilities.com

It looks just like the MS-Explorer but has two more columns:
    Size
    Size wSubDirs

15 iulie 2010 12:40
  • There are 2 different tools being proposed here, both commonly referred to as "Folder Size".

"Folder Size for Windows" (http://sourceforge.net/projects/foldersize/) generally worked effectively in WinXP by adding a 'folder size' column to the explorer bar and generally most users (myself included) have found that it doesn't work in Win7.

Then there is the freestanding app "Folder Size" from (http://www.mindgems.com/products/Folder-Size/Folder-Size.html) which does appear to work on Windows 7 (32Bit and 64Bit, although it installs as a 32Bit application).

The "Folder Size" application is quite useful for me, as like many others here, I mostly only need this tool when I am looking to clean out my drives. On the other hand "Folder size for Windows"while it was conveniently located in WinXP explorer could be something of a resource hog as it would recalculate every time a folder or folder tree was opened.

18 iulie 2010 01:20
  • ...and it gives lots of unhelpful & inaccurate '0 bytes' reports on non-empty folders exactly as this screenshot demonstrates.
    18 iulie 2010 01:40
  • Wow! The depths of the lack of Administrator control in Win 7 know no bounds. More clicks to get to the places we need, no real control even in Administrator, shocking I am sure my calculator has more functionality. Everyday I seem to find more failures in Windows.

I run with multiple screens and still have to use third party software to run applications in full screen whilst using another application on a different screen, WHY? Fragmentation WHY? Have M$ gone to sleep in the 1980's we had more power over the OS in 3.01 and since then Windows/Microsoft know more about how we want to use an OS than the end user, BS.

I have several OS's XP, Vista, Win7 and Mandriva and all I see is M$ getting more and more closed in and impossible to use as an advanced user, not everyone want the same interface, user rights, and combatant OS that even stops you from accessing/manipulating files as an Administrator. I understand that it is a cover all but really there should be an option for people who buy the OS (not have it installed for them) to define their control over the entire functionality.

Maybe time for M$ to look at other OS and see where they are going wrong, if they spent just a couple of hours playing with any flavour of Linux they would see what needs to be addressed. I know this sounds like M$ bashing but as the main player and the reason we all have been given the chance to use a PC at home (without Windows it would have taken a good few years to be where we are) surely they could have done better than this. Please, Please, Please go and hire some of the top software engineers and fix this lazy boring and under powered rubbish.

Totally shameful excuse for an OS. Fix it before you bow out of the OS business, which by the way does not look too far away any more. I never thought I would see the day that there is no M$ but it is getting closer and closer the more they create such difficult and unyielding  software. Time to bring in the Open source community to fix this old girl.

19 iulie 2010 06:26
  • For those who like to roll their own,  this VB Script code will work with Windows 7 and show a simple list with folders and sizes from a cmd prompt.  You can specify the depth.  It's very fast.  Run with no parameters for instructions.

' ====================================================================

' DirSize7.vbs

' Used to display dir sizes in Windows 7 or XP.

'

' To Use:  cscript DirSize7.vbs C:\temp 4

'     Where:

'       First parm  = The dir to start with (default = script dir)

'       Second parm = number of child dirs to display (default = 4)

'

' 2010/7/20 - Tom Woodgerd - Upgraded from DirSizeXP.  Added code to handle folders with no access.

' ====================================================================

option explicit         ' Require declaration of variables.

Dim arrArgs

Dim strTopDir

Dim numDepth

Dim iii

Dim strEOL

Dim strTab

Dim ws

Dim fso

Dim strFolder

Dim arrFolderCollection1

Dim arrFolderCollection2

Dim arrFolderCollection3

Dim arrFolderCollection4

Dim strDisp

Dim strF1

Dim strF2

Dim strF3

Dim strF4

Dim strRootFolder

Dim int_strF1Size

Set ws = WScript.CreateObject ("Wscript.Shell")

strEOL = chr(10) & chr(13)

strTab = chr(9)

Set fso = CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject")

' ---------------  Get command line arguments.

Set arrArgs = WScript.Arguments

' --------- Get folder from command line or if none, the script dir.

If arrArgs.Count > 0 Then

strTopDir = arrArgs(0)

Else

strTopDir = fso.GetParentFolderName(Wscript.ScriptFullName)

End If

' --------- Get depth from command line or default = 4.

If arrArgs.Count > 1 Then

numDepth = arrArgs(1)

If numDepth > 4 Then

numDepth = 4

End If

Else

numDepth = 4

End if

If arrArgs.Count > 0 Then

WScript.Echo "====================================================================++======"

WScript.Echo "DirSize7:          Starting From: " & strTopDir & "    Depth = " & numDepth

WScript.Echo ""

WScript.Echo "=========================================================(Ver 7/20/2010)===="

Else

WScript.Echo "======================================================================++===="

WScript.Echo "DirSize7:          Starting From: " & strTopDir & "    Depth = " & numDepth

WScript.Echo ""

WScript.Echo "     Useage: cscript dirsize7.vbs D:\temp 3"

WScript.Echo "     Where:"

WScript.Echo "       Starting Directory = D:\temp"

WScript.Echo "       Deepest folder to display = 3 (up to 4 max)"

WScript.Echo ""

WScript.Echo "==========================================================(Ver 7/20/2010)==="

End If

' --------- Main Loop ---------------------------------------------

Set strFolder = fso.GetFolder(strTopDir)

If Not strFolder.IsRootFolder then

int_strF1Size = 0

On Error Resume Next

int_strF1Size = strFolder.size

If int_strF1Size = 0 then       '--- See if we have access.

WScript.Echo "----No Access---- "  & strFolder

WScript.quit

Else

WScript.Echo f_AddCommas(strFolder.size), " "& strFolder

end if

End If

Set arrFolderCollection1 = strFolder.SubFolders

For Each strF1 in arrFolderCollection1

int_strF1Size = 0

On Error Resume Next

int_strF1Size = strF1.size

If int_strF1Size = 0 then       '--- See if we have access.

WScript.Echo " ----No Access---- "  & strF1

Else

WScript.Echo f_AddCommas(strF1.size), " "& chr(28)&" "& strF1

If numDepth >= 2 Then '----------------------------- Start of 2nd level

Set strFolder = fso.GetFolder(strF1)

Set arrFolderCollection2 = strFolder.SubFolders

For Each strF2 in arrFolderCollection2

WScript.Echo f_AddCommas(strF2.size), "  "& chr(28)&" "& strF2

If numDepth >= 3 Then '----------------------- Start of 3rd level

Set strFolder = fso.GetFolder(strF2)

Set arrFolderCollection3 = strFolder.SubFolders

For Each strF3 in arrFolderCollection3

WScript.Echo f_AddCommas(strF3.size), "   "& chr(28)&" "&  strF3

If numDepth >= 4 Then '----------------- Start of 4th level

Set strFolder = fso.GetFolder(strF3)

Set arrFolderCollection4 = strFolder.SubFolders

For Each strF4 in arrFolderCollection4

WScript.Echo f_AddCommas(strF4.size), "    "& chr(28)&" "&  strF4

Next

End If '--------------------------------- End of 4th level

Next

End If '----------------------------------- End of 3rd level

Next

End If ' ---------------------------------- End of 2nd Level

End if

Next

' -------------------------- Format a numeric string with commas

Function f_AddCommas(parmStr)

Dim strTemp

' ---- Drop the ".00"

strTemp = left(formatcurrency(parmStr), Instr(formatcurrency(parmStr), ".")-1 )

strTemp = mid(strTemp,2)  ' Drop the $

f_AddCommas = space(15-len(strTemp)) & strTemp

End Function

21 iulie 2010 04:28
  • The easy answer is to use xplorer2 lite.  Which is free and works perfectly in windows 7.  Then just go to "Tools" "options" - "advanced options" and select "show total folder size".  The only drawback to this program is that for some reason its alphabetical listing (listing by name) tends to be out of synch with the rest of the digital world (uses different rules).

Here is the cnet link to the program - http://download.cnet.com/Xplorer2-Lite/3000-2248_4-10407731.html

1 august 2010 19:30
  • ToothFaerie (do you expect people to take your comments too seriously with that handle?),

Use Windows 7 for a while and get to know it.

You'll discover that many of your negative comments about it only reach skin deep.  It really is an excellent system under the covers.  It's just that the Explorer / shell and Marketing people have fallen down on the job - REALLY fallen down - and they've hung WAY too much junk all over it.

With a few bits of extra (free) software and some tweaking there's a lot that can be done to make Windows 7 quite usable, lean and mean - and I find it really stable...  This is well over a year of heavy use talking.

Best of luck getting the most out of Windows 7.

-Noel

1 august 2010 20:09
  •  A few things in reply to your out or order email to me. You have a name that sounds like some sort of genital disorder and yet you choose to take the rip out of my online name instead of replying to my points. If you disagree then please let me hear what you have to say about the points I have brought up, not a silly little boys name calling and ridiculing me because I have a strange name. If because my name is different then that means I have no real message or content in my post then the post would have needed little to no reply, and there would not be a large amount of people expressing the same dissatisfaction. Is the reason you only take the p*** because you have no argument? or is it because you are a troll? My comment where and are legitimate and should be part of the overall progression of an OS but please feel free to avoid my reason for posting as I would rather not hear anything from an ____ and will wait for someone with a brain and knowledge to reply and not just reply with a total lack of respect for people just because of a name.

If you think that paying £150 for an operating system that is moving backwards and relying on third party software to get the things done in a professional, reliable and productive manner for the Administrators of this world, not the normal less than computer literate user, then yes Microsoft are loosing ground, if you think that the strengths of an OS are that it does not need a real Admin' account or control then please stick to Win7 and don't try to tell others that we are stupid for making valid points about a better than average OS that could have been much better. I have no grips with MS as they are the foundation of the majority of businesses and home computing but to shut your eyes and not see the benefit of control over your file structure and other control mechanisms then please refrain from answering what you obviously do not know about.

To Quote Noel Carboni's reply to me "Thread Title Folder Size in Explorer, Windows 7

Started by: penciline

Reply:

ToothFaerie (do you expect people to take your comments too seriously with that handle?),

Use Windows 7 for a while and get to know it.

You'll discover that many of your negative comments about it only reach skin deep. It really is an excellent system under the covers. It's just that the Explorer / shell and Marketing people have fallen down on the job - REALLY fallen down - and they've hung WAY too much junk all over it.

With a few bits of extra (free) software and some tweaking there's a lot that can be done to make Windows 7 quite usable, lean and mean - and I find it really stable... This is well over a year of heavy use talking.

Best of luck getting the most out of Windows 7.

-Noel"

P.S. I have been using and tweaking Windows for my use over the last 20+ years, I have installed and maintained Windows and Linux/Unix for business and home users. I might not know everything there is under the hood of any of them but I know failings when I see them and then put them out in the right environment to find resolutions.

4 august 2010 13:57
  • Yes folder size COLUMN should be included in the OS. No doubt about this.

Please amend this in SP 1

16 august 2010 12:06
  • The easy answer is to use xplorer2 lite.  Which is free and works perfectly in windows 7.  Then just go to "Tools" "options" - "advanced options" and select "show total folder size".  The only drawback to this program is that for some reason its alphabetical listing (listing by name) tends to be out of synch with the rest of the digital world (uses different rules).

Here is the cnet link to the program - http://download.cnet.com/Xplorer2-Lite/3000-2248_4-10407731.html

Excuse me - it does not show total folder size as a COLUMN. Is this what you meant ?

MOreover the docs are rather - absent

and there is a 64 bit version - for which there is no lite version ???

16 august 2010 12:54
  • Hey guys,   I to am just so irritated about this feature removal.   I really hope they bring back the 'in explorer' column for folder size through 3rd party apps,  or even better,  their own folder size feature.

BUT,  I do want to give you guys a heads up that the program Xplorer 2 DOES SHOW FOLDER SIZE,  and their 'replacement' explorer is actually pretty decent.  Though I don't think I should have to bring up another application in order to see the size of folders in a column.

I tried the Xplorer 2 pro x64 version,  and you just hit Ctrl-D for it to calculate all the folder sizes.  

Heres the link to their site,  http://www.zabkat.com/index.htm

I believe the 'lite' version shows it also,  but i didnt try it.

22 septembrie 2010 00:53
  • I've found a solution!

The original program at http://foldersize.sourceforge.net/ that so many of us love WILL WORK, but only if you are using it under Windows XP Mode - Virtual Machine.

Unfortunately this is only available if you have Windows 7 Professional or Ultimate, as far as I know.

If you do have it, it's a free download from Microsoft that gets checked with Windows Genuine Advantage.

I'm now able to use Folder Size just as I used to with my old XP machine.  Yes, it will read all of the folders on the hard drive, not just what you put on the virtual machine.  Just make a shortcut on the virtual desktop to the C file path of the widows 7 OS and for fast future reference!

Happy computing.

Nick

23 septembrie 2010 17:21
  • Hello

There is  a sysinternals tool to show folder size ( Disk Usage (DU)).

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896651.aspx

Thanks, Darrell Gorter This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. VAMT - Volume Activation Management Tool - Download link http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=ec7156d2-2864-49ee-bfcb-777b898ad582&displaylang=en
    7 octombrie 2010 23:15
  • I've been using Mac OSX Snow Leopard 10.6 for about 1 year now.  I will NEVER ever ever EVER again buy a Windows machine.  I am working on replacing all my PC's with Macs.  I have been a PC/Windows expert for over 20 years now, and only kind of backed into Macs.  This is a perfect illustration of exactly why.  Everything on the Mac works exactly as I would want it to - it took about a month to get used to it.  (Of course I'm an old Unix hack, so that helped to dig into its innards.)

So my advice?  Ditch Windows - no matter how they dress it up, they just don't get it.

I should also add, when it comes to technical support, I have never found a company in any sector that can beat Apple.  It is definitely worth the small fee for the AppleCare support package.

- Jay
    12 octombrie 2010 13:47
  • I agree with jimer_2 statement 100% "no matter how they dress it up, they just don't get it."

I too used Brio's Foldersize on all my XP machines... I skipped over Vista and now I am running windows 7 and boy is it pretty looking... SO WHAT!  Windows 7 is more broke than ever for us power users and admins!  This foldersize issue and window explorer not remembering window position is totally ridiculous!

I have just about had it with MS.  I have recently purchased one Mac; looks like it's time to consider a full about-face from windozes to Mac. 

pS.  I blame Ballmer!  Bring back Gates!

hmmm I wonder if Bill is using windows 7.

pss. I think windows 7 has given me a case of noelcarbonis.

13 octombrie 2010 03:52
  • This program worked great for me. It took a little while to scan the drive, but I could browse what had already been scanned, even before the whole drive had been completely scanned. Thanks for the link! :)
    27 octombrie 2010 09:19
  • Not sure if this will help the lot of you, but I find JDiskReport to be exactly what I'm looking for.  It's free, it doesn't require installing if you simply use the jdiskreport.jnlp file by itself.  Otherwise you can simply install the app and run it at any time.  It works for network shares as well.   It's a very handy tool.  I used to use TreeSizePro a long, long time ago, but this is it's equal and it's free to boot.

I hope this helps!!

22 noiembrie 2010 22:18
  •  A few things in reply to your out or order email to me. You have a name that sounds like some sort of genital disorder and yet you choose to take the rip out of my online name instead of replying to my points. If you disagree then please let me hear what you have to say about the points I have brought up, not a silly little boys name calling and ridiculing me because I have a strange name. If because my name is different then that means I have no real message or content in my post then the post would have needed little to no reply, and there would not be a large amount of people expressing the same dissatisfaction. Is the reason you only take the p*** because you have no argument? or is it because you are a troll? My comment where and are legitimate and should be part of the overall progression of an OS but please feel free to avoid my reason for posting as I would rather not hear anything from an ____ and will wait for someone with a brain and knowledge to reply and not just reply with a total lack of respect for people just because of a name.

All I can say to this is - wow. The offending comment:

ToothFaerie (do you expect people to take your comments too seriously with that handle?)

Your response, only the first paragraph I quoted, was as insulting as it was childish, both in epic proportions. One sentence stating that you have a name that makes people not take you seriously, and you respond with several paragraphs that range from comparing Carboni's name to a genital disorder to calling him a child to calling him stupid. I can't help but think someone here is just a tad oversensitive... The ironic thing is that Carboni agreed with most of your post.

Seriously, it's time to switch to decaf.

1 decembrie 2010 22:42
  • Thanks for the xplorer2 Ctrl + D tip for the Folder size, it does work with the free one. You can also go into _Tools_ and _Options_ and set to see Folder Size in _Status Bar Pane_.

----

I've installed Win7's to 2 of my PC's yesterday (one x32 and other x64), even if only for 3 days to test this stuff out (before activation kicks in).  One is extra PC and the other in VMWare WS 7.3 .

I also tried that ExplorerXP in WinXP mode with Admin rights and the Folder Size works great.  Except for one thing, when I right click on a folder, every option is grayed out (except for FileMenu Tools).  FileMenu Tools wasn't installed on one of them and it was still grayed out. 

I have WinXP right now and had no interest in using Vista.  Although I fixed people's PC's who had it. 

I have been on the fence about Win7, only 2 reasons though .  I really, really like the NinoTech PathCopy Win Shell Extension and the original FolderSize (sourceforge).  I use both many times a day.  Well 3, moving and deleting and setting up partitions correctly is not fun (new 2TB hd on way, but still a big pain).  But now XP has been giving me BSOD's and lockups sometimes (125 + programs + many tweaks last 2 months so not surprising  really).

I created a folder named: 

Win 7  _  FolderSize Options _ c12-04-10

and downloaded every program people said on here to test out so I could make the move to Win7 if it goes good.

ClassicShell_Win7 x64_Brings Back Old Features of XP_a12-04-10
    ExplorerXP_1.07_d10-27-06_u12-04-10
    FileMenu Tools_Win7 x64_ COPY  PATH  Feature
    FolderSize_MindGems_Apparently Has To Scan Each Time_Maybe Slow_a12-04-10
    FreeCommander_Win7 x64_a12-04-10
    xPlorer2  Lite_Free_ cd r5  22votes_186k
    xPlorer2  Pro_cd r4.5  16votes_19k

I guess I haven't tried the MindGems FolderSize one, but doesn't seem what I want now anyway, from above comments.

ClassicShell really doesn't help in the FolderSize department (don't see size like in picture above), however the other things are kind of nice.

I do LOVE the free FileMenu Tools though, it does take care of my Copy Path requirement .  Even though when I right click using ExplorerXP, things are grayed out except for FileMenu Tools so I might just go with this combo (but only been testing tonight).

But I'll have to reinstall Win7 on both machines at least another 1-3 times to fully test to make sure I want to make the switch.

Please Microsoft make FolderSize an option in Win7 SP1 like others have said !!!  Or add something to Win7 where ExplorerXP or better yet original FolderSize (sourceforge) can work again like in WinXP.

PLEASE

5 decembrie 2010 11:20
  • Thank you enigmafyv.  I downloaded and installed JDiskReport and was looking at a listing of one of my drives in about 5 minutes.  Works a treat

Mike

28 decembrie 2010 20:18
  • This is the best for me. 

+ ve's

no installation

really fast

many interesting analytics like top 100, size dist, modified etc.,

-ve's

none

31 decembrie 2010 22:31

SequiaView pwnz this Mickey Mouse pie chart in the face.

Here's a link you may find helpful.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Binary_space_partitioning

If not, try this one instead; http://www.crayola.com/products/list.cfm?categories=CRAYONS

Shannon Barber
    2 ianuarie 2011 23:54
  • That's why I use Linux...
    7 ianuarie 2011 15:42
  • I would also consider WinDirStat as an option http://windirstat.info/

29 ianuarie 2011 18:06
  • This is fantastic. It really helped me visualize my usage. Thanks.
    9 februarie 2011 19:40
  • I agree on that with you bro. It sucks that Windows 7 doesn't have it. I have a lot of programmes and other files and am a sucker for sorting, ordering and placing them inside folders. So, this feature would be very very helpful. It is a minor feature and MS can set it to be displayed or not in the folder option settings. The architecture is simple, if somewhat time consuming when it is required on machines with slow HDD. But still, it is a feature I also would like to see in W7 and not hopefully on W8 :D.
    13 februarie 2011 16:09

i always tell my cousin how well balanced windows 2000 NT was, then came xp and we were somewhat happy, but vista and windows  7 has gone down the drain for me, not sure what MS is thinking but i hope they get a handle on things and fixed these minor issues.

This link is for folder size. It does not work in Win 7.  A message from the developers of folder size.

"Folder Size 2.5

is for Windows 2000 or XP. Sorry, Vista and 7 changed Explorer so it can't support this column anymore."
    21 februarie 2011 17:45
  • I agree with jimer_2 statement 100% "no matter how they dress it up, they just don't get it."

I too used Brio's Foldersize on all my XP machines... I skipped over Vista and now I am running windows 7 and boy is it pretty looking... SO WHAT!  Windows 7 is more broke than ever for us power users and admins!  This foldersize issue and window explorer not remembering window position is totally ridiculous!

I have just about had it with MS.  I have recently purchased one Mac; looks like it's time to consider a full about-face from windozes to Mac. 

pS.  I blame Ballmer!  Bring back Gates!

hmmm I wonder if Bill is using windows 7.

pss. I think windows 7 has given me a case of noelcarbonis.

I think Bill's using an Ipad and Microsoft Bob on his desktop...
    21 februarie 2011 20:41
  • the explorer2 lite is only in 32 not 64 so it won't read 64 folders.

Statement from

http://www.zabkat.com/blog/11Apr10-64-bit-windows.htm

ps. Many of you ask me if there is a native 64 bit version of the free xplorer² lite; there isn't, but the 32 bit versionruns well on 64 bits too (you will just be unable to browse a few system folders)

I think I will use this solution.

If somebody works to set up the shell that size folder used in win xp please write it here.

I wrote a mail to Bill Gates....

we never know. I think he will like this function too.

24 februarie 2011 15:12
  • Interestingly enough, Tree Size Professional works very well on Window 7 and provides folder sizes within its interface.

http://www.jam-software.com/treesize/

25 februarie 2011 14:34
  • What's with this silly "pillow view" that seems to be so common amongst these kinds of tools?  Is it supposed to be visually pleasing or something?  Someone's college project gone wild?

-Noel

25 februarie 2011 15:47
  • Wow... I came via Google to see if there was a solution to this for one of my customers.  I appreciate all the helpful suggestions I've found although I have to agree with you @Noel Carboni... and it is unfortunate that this feature cannot be cleanly integrated into the existing OS interfaces.  Yeah I saw you can IF you pretend there's no such thing as 64 bit architecture but... you know the rest.  When I implement solutions for customers I don't like leaving possibilities open that they will later encounter problems.  A good cross section of my clients do not  a) understand much at all of the OS behind-the-scenes humdrum that I sift through for them and  b) do not wish to use nor is it easy for them to integrate into their experience 3rd party utilities that do this.  Having said this it leaves me here:  Thanks a whole lot MS.  Having read all previous posts it seems I'm not alone, either, when I say you could have thought about your "little people" more.  I personally have no issue right click 'Properties'-ing my folders but there are quite a few out there who do mind it.  Just read this whole post and you'll see.  I warn you though reading it all takes a little bit.

Which leads me to my next statement... At risk of sounding a little like a media clown from several years ago -- Can't we all just get along?  Seriously guys we're here to listen to each other and try to help the best we can so really can we please stop bashing each other?  We all have to sift through that useless stuff and certain posters have to try to overlook that they just got stabbed at!  My degree is in Information Technology not Psychology so I don' t really know how to or care how we get this accomplished, but please for goodness sake if you don't have something nice or helpful to say then just don't type.  Move on and do something helpful.  Thanks  ;)

2 martie 2011 19:19
    What if I bloody well don't want to?
    1 aprilie 2011 03:07
  • Here is a long list of reasons why viewing folder size is important http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/forums/en-US/windowsgeneraldevelopmentissues/thread/2056b237-574d-483c-8ecd-f2842dd70081/
    I challenge any pro-MS automatons to justify to me why hovering over every folder (and then presumably writing down the results for comparison?) is an appropriate method to clean out my harddrive by finding which folders take up the most room.
    If, as we shall see, you're unable to justify MS's exclusion of folder size, please post here, and we'll see if they take notice and listen.
    I have been using a cool, small, unobtrusive program called OverDisk. NO SCANNING at all - instantaneous!
    1 aprilie 2011 03:08
  • Install SequoiaView . It gives you a lovely cushion tree map that makes it very easy to see what folders and what files are using up all your drive space. Works from XP to Windows 7 Ultimate

Way, too busy!
    1 aprilie 2011 03:10
  • Warning about ClassicShell!!!

I have win 7 32bit with sp2.

I just installed classicshell about 2 hours and it has taken me this long to get back to normal operation on my pc!

What happened?

-installed it.

-noticed my start menu was all messed up with most things missing.

could not navigate to programs to uninstall. so i clicked the program installer again and it gave me the option to uninstall.

-rebooted. my pc took approx 15-20 MINUTES to boot! yes no exaggeration.

-realized this is really messed up and did system restore.

-rebooted and it took another 15-20 MINUTES to boot!

so here i am, but afraid to reboot again - may be messed up still but seems to be working normal once booted.

I don't know what i might have done wrong (if anything) but that was kinda stressful!!!

6 mai 2011 01:48
  • Don't "guess".  Not cool.
    13 iunie 2011 23:36
  • Tried almost any of the free solutions...and they all do SUCK.  Folder Size standalone...scan speed of a 120 gb REVODRIVE SSD that can read 300-500 mb/s is ridicolous...it takes AGES to scan the drive and gets slower and slower until it CRAWLS.

Xplorer2 lite free version latest denies the use of the feature ..useless anyway since it has to be invoked manually 

Overdisk = had hang on scanning C: then hit X and it shows results that make you ask .."do i  want eye cancer?"

Seqoia View...aw cum on i want to view the size of my folders not do a acid trip

For the sake of sanity...wtf is there no FAST, simple and unretarded solution to this absolutly hilariously simple problem

(if for speed reasons this is not integrated in explorer..then for the love of all that does not suck MS implement a feature to show it by DEMAND other

than using retarded ALT+ENTER for each folder seperatly and not being able to have a proper overview) Win is packed with useless crap features noone

EVER uses but something that is a BASIC control and managment feature of a proper DISK OPERATING SYSTEM is not included...and still not is after SP1)

That Sirs is Grade F and now u can take your seat and get back to your homework.

23 iunie 2011 02:06

You are a stupid useless lump of poo.

Yes, I signed in just to say that.

26 iunie 2011 15:21
  • I found this post while searching, and after looking on CNET I settled on TreeSize Free which I just installed on Windows 7 and it works for my needs. While it's not as handy as the extra Folder Size column (I agree that this is a Windows 7 miss), it will suffice for helping you find large folders to clean up as you can drill down.

A new feature allows you to right-click on a folder in Windows Explorer to bring up a pop-up with all of the sub-folders and the sizes, which you can then drill down into (e.g. right-click on My Documents).

Someone on here mentioned the Pro version, which I can't speak to, but so far the Free version has given me what I need..

http://download.cnet.com/TreeSize-Free/3000-2248_4-10139400.html

29 iunie 2011 14:50
  • With a few bits of extra (free) software and some tweaking there's a lot that can be done to make Windows 7 quite usable, lean and mean - and I find it really stable...  This is well over a year of heavy use talking.

I agree, to make W7 usable I had to dload and install lot of freeware utils; I wonder why, to make a * PAID * OS usable, we have to rely on * FREE * software. Maybe it should be the contrary and we should pay the freewares and not W7 ?

In any case, everytime I have to work with folders and file sizes that's a real pain with win7 explorer, is it possible no developer noticed it? Aren't they supposed to be power users? *confused* At least with Classic Shell now I can select lot of files and see their size in status bar: W7 didn't allow either this simple task!

16 iulie 2011 00:06
  • Has anyone noticed that if you hover your mouse over a folder name, a popup will appear that includes the folder size?  No, it's not a column, and no, you can't sort by size, but it DOES show the size of the folder+contents.
    18 iulie 2011 14:40
  • Yep, that works.  I guess it must take some time to figure out, though, so they avoid doing it in general.

-Noel

18 iulie 2011 15:09
  • Has anyone noticed that if you hover your mouse over a folder name, a popup will appear that includes the folder size?  No, it's not a column, and no, you can't sort by size, but it DOES show the size of the folder+contents.

I just too lazy to hover over 100 folder in 10 folder
    19 iulie 2011 15:59

For me this feature is bizarrely inconsistent. I can hover over a file or folder in Explorer and wait a second or two and get this info, then I can move down to the next item and wait, and wait and wait and nothing happens. Then I move to another item and it works again. I have found no way to make it reliably popup. It is a minor annoyance, I realize, but why doesn't it just work every time the same way instead of erratically? It feels sloppy.

24 iulie 2011 06:14
  • Agreed.  When I'm trying to find offending shared network folder users, the last thing I want to do is spend a morning or afternoon hovering over 250 folders, wait for a second for it to pop up, type it into excel with the folder name and size, repeat, the sort the spreadsheet to find the largest file so I can tell them to do some house cleaning.

Thanks for the extra work.

PS, FolderSize works fine locally, but if you have something in Explorer, say a network location, it doesn't see it.

10 august 2011 14:49
  • Hello brollman,

Try using the Disk Usage tool from the sysinternals site?
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb545046.aspx

Dropped into a \tools folder

then run it twice:

C:\Tools>du /v /u c:\ >Files_Unique.txt

C:\Tools>du /v c:\ >Files.txt 

Open files.txt in Excel,

Move or remove the totals at teh bottom

do a text to column change

Then sort to show the largest folders

This should give you a better picture of what is taking up the disk space

Thanks, Darrell Gorter [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. VAMT - Volume Activation Management Tool - Download link http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=ec7156d2-2864-49ee-bfcb-777b898ad582&displaylang=en
    10 august 2011 21:11
  • How will I change that to a network location?  Replace the /u switch to \\networkfolder?  And why run twice?

Just a background, we're running vmware and our fileshare lives on the EMC so I just can't remote to it and run this and if I ran it on my machine it would default to my share, not the full folder, so I'd need to browse to it to see what's in there.

12 august 2011 15:56
  • Hello,

It works with a UNC name, I was just showing an example above.

You do not need to run it twice

This is the more accurate disk space one.

C:\Tools>du /v /u c:\ >Files_Unique.txt

Thanks, Darrell Gorter [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. VAMT - Volume Activation Management Tool - Download link http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=ec7156d2-2864-49ee-bfcb-777b898ad582&displaylang=en
    12 august 2011 18:18
  • I have just installed and tried TreeSizeFree. It works very well, is quite fast and gives me what I want. The analysis is done quite fast, in seconds. Getting data on lower levels is quite easy. In 2 minutes I was able to pinpoint the rogue folders occupying dead space.

The Pro version must be good. However as of now the Free version is fine. This is the way for software developers to go.

Many thanks, UGABulldawg80. Have a great day/week/month/year.

24 august 2011 12:23
  • This is what I used.  It's a few more steps than I'd like but it makes for a nice email to C levels showing usage.
    24 august 2011 14:11
  • I had file size not long ago, but now I don't. I want it, so as I know not to send large files to people who will get broken up e-mails and they don't know what it is all about, and abuse me for sending 5 or 6 e-mails.
    31 august 2011 05:27
  • I also find the 'hover' method very inconsistant.  Actually, very inaccurate. 

Example:  hover on one folder shows "greater than 8.5Gb"  but right click to Properties gives 35Gb.

This is the case on my Vista m/c and my Win7 m/c.

ps: thanks for all the constructive suggestions here, shame about the others.

14 septembrie 2011 18:45
  • For what it's worth, the lack of this feature should be fixed (or mostly fixed) in Windows 8, if Microsoft's comments on the new Explorer interface are to be believed:  http://blogs.msdn.com/b/b8/archive/2011/08/29/improvements-in-windows-explorer.aspx

From the article (towards the bottom):

The Explorer in Windows XP was probably the most customizable version to date (you could add or remove a pre-specified set of buttons from the toolbar and customize the layout) but the Explorer UI in Windows 7 and Vista had very limited customization options beyond installing third-party add-ons.

The new Quick Access Toolbar (QAT) in Explorer provides a lot of customization opportunities.  Similar to Office, by right-clicking any button in the ribbon, you can add it to the QAT.  Additionally, you can choose to have the QAT display above or below the ribbon, and to display the ribbon in an open or minimized state.  This is a big increase in the level of customization available in Explorer (you can choose approximately 200 commands to add to the QAT) and returns it to a level equal to or greater than we had in Windows XP.

Finally, as you may have noticed in several of the screen shots, we just had to bring back the “Up" button.  This is far and away the most requested improvement to Explorer, and a great opportunity to bring back some of Windows Explorer’s heritage features.

• Editat de Xeiran 15 septembrie 2011 20:39
    15 septembrie 2011 20:29
  • I'll post my thoughts on this in the Dev forum for Win 8
    15 septembrie 2011 21:03
  • A "brilliant" AND NOT AT ALL HELPFUL tidbit.
    19 septembrie 2011 23:58
  • URL is a turd.
    20 septembrie 2011 00:05
  • You can submit feedback about Windows 7 here , http://mymfe.microsoft.com/Windows%20%207/Feedback.aspx?formID=195
    26 octombrie 2011 03:24
  • I use spacesniffer which is very well made.

Click each portion to drill down and see the specifics of the folder.

Personally i prefer a graphic software.

http://www.uderzo.it/main_products/space_sniffer/download.html

2 noiembrie 2011 18:06
  • I have found a solution!

A windows explorer and registry modification allowing you to see folder sizes:

http://rajtheeban95.deviantart.com/art/Info-Extended-for-Explorer-W7-182053024

I hope it works for you like it does for me,

JoBrittain

• Editat de JoBrittain 17 decembrie 2011 22:29 link recognition
    17 decembrie 2011 22:24
  • ExplorerXP work nice in Windows 7 and show folder size
    7 ianuarie 2012 00:29
  • As a windows captive - meaning that so far it's been near impossible to by a PC without an MS OS - I am going to find the money to buy a Mac, or find the time to wipe the non-intuitive MS OS and replace it with Linux.

Can MS stop a defection by disaffected people like me, of which there are a growing number?

You betcha:

1. Take out all the stupid and annoying features and write in some clever and useful ones

2. Offer the OS free

That's the only way they'll ever tempt me back.

Bye bye.

9 ianuarie 2012 08:33
  • 2. Offer the OS free

Wish them success with their new App Store, and you may find a free or very cheap Windows a possibility in the future.  Trouble is, if today at several hundred dollars a copy it still is missing obvious features and has clear engineering flaws, what will it be like if it makes no direct profit at all?  Could be a problem.

I think Microsoft could help turn the tide by doing this also:

Get more involved with their customers.  Actually PARTICIPATE in forum threads with tens of thousands of people watching and hundreds contributing.  LISTEN and MAKE CHANGES based on intelligent analysis of what's being requested, rather than using telemetry to find out what the mass of uneducated users is stumbling around doing, and ignoring obvious problems because they happen to be difficult to solve.

-Noel

Detailed how-to in my new eBook: Configure The Windows 7 "To Work" Options

9 ianuarie 2012 14:31
  • For fork’s sake!

People, STOP posting third-party programs as solutions. There are plenty of standalone apps to show disk layout and usage, and it is not hard to find them. Also, using the Properties dialog or tooltips are not sufficient.

This thread is about showing the size of all FOLDERS in an EXPLORER column!

People have been using this function via third-party shell-extensions for a while now. Instead of building this functionality into Vista or 7 natively, they actually removed the ability for third-party extensions to provide it. WTF‽ Countless users have made themselves clear about their need for a proper Explorer size column that displays the size of folders, yet nothing has happened after several years. The only way that we can interpret this is that Microsoft does not care about it customers. Well, either that or they hate their customers and actively, purposely try to frustrate and make life difficult for the people that pay their salaries.

• Editat de mwalsher 11 decembrie 2013 05:54
    14 ianuarie 2012 20:37
  • Funny thing, did you noticed that WIN 7 does show the size of folders but only when they are in the Recycle Bin? Someone at Microsoft has a really great sense of humour!!!
    15 ianuarie 2012 21:42
  • Funny thing, did you noticed that WIN 7 does show the size of folders but only when they are in the Recycle Bin? Someone at Microsoft has a really great sense of humour!!!
    Hi.. I did notice this and it's why I'm here looking for a solution.. :-) Folder size displayed in the bin I guess shows it can be done and is there buried somehwere in Win7.. I've been a Mac desktop user for many years and in 2010 I purchased a Win7 laptop. I just couldn't justify the £1,500 for a Macbook when I could do pretty much everything I wanted to do with a Win7 laptop @ £350. As I say "Pretty Much Everything" and Not having the Folder Size in explorer is one of those things I would rely on as I do with my Mac. House keeping on the Mac is so easy, with Win7 it's a few clicks away from being perfect for me. Reading above and on other threads about Folder Size the reason seems to be Speed and time.. But hovering over the folders in explorer for the little information pane to appear isn't very quick when the folder contains some large files. And highlighting the folder to get the information in the toolbar is just as slow. I would like to see the Folder Size displayed just like it is on my Mac and with the Mac I can select to show or hide folder sizes which speeds things up when browsing folders.
    24 ianuarie 2012 16:40
  • Try using Bitser, it offers the option from explorers context menu so you only need to waste resources calculating folder sizes if you really need to. Screenshot below.

http://www.bitser.org

• Editat de corg17 27 ianuarie 2012 06:17
    27 ianuarie 2012 06:16
  • any body tried explorerXP .. seems best so far .. only trouble is it shows incorrect size for USER folder.. that's it.. using it happily for quite a time.
    28 ianuarie 2012 17:41
  • Explorer XP?

Now that's an idea.

I use XP on the virtual machine.  Installed Foldersize (32bit). Works like a charme.

13 februarie 2012 00:03
  • On the contrary, SequoiaView is superior to your tool. It provides you a view of the entire subtree and is nicely grouped by folders with color coding of file type.  I easily found a few large files I no longer needed that were buried deep.  The grouping is usefull in displaying the largest folders not just files, so you can understand for what use/application most of the drive space is going.
    19 februarie 2012 15:57
  • On the contrary, SequoiaView is superior to your tool

It's not *my* tool, it's freeware made by someone else.  But I find it handy.

It's just a matter of preference.  I'm sure SequoiaView is a fine piece of software, and its UI likely seems preferable to some but not others.  I didn't mean to put it down - I should have used a bunch of smilies.

-Noel

Detailed how-to in my new eBook: Configure The Windows 7 "To Work" Options

19 februarie 2012 18:07
  • I definatly suggest Total Commander over windows explorer. When you hit space to select a folder in reveals the size in the size colomn as to not hog resources. It is a VERY powerful freeware.
    21 februarie 2012 17:42
  • I definatly suggest Total Commander over windows explorer. When you hit space to select a folder in reveals the size in the size colomn as to not hog resources. It is a VERY powerful freeware.
    First, Total Commander is not freeware. Second, I've used it extensively because every once in a while, I decide to give it another go but always remember how much it sucks. I also lost a few terabytes of data using this program and a filesystem plugin. Now I can't be sure if it was the program or the plug-in's fault without looking at the code of each but I had already had major issues with it even before that. I am baffled why everyone keeps recommending it. 
    21 februarie 2012 18:05
  • Sorry to answer on an old thread, but it looks like people are still interested -- I know I am!  As a recent Mac convert to Win, I can't tell you how frustrating it is to not even have an optional column for Folder size or to include folders in the size column (again, optionally).

Another freeware option:  cygwin

I install cygwin/X all the time to have XDMCP sessions to my local linux servers, but this has the added benefit of making available a whole host of common linux commands to the normal DOS-ish cmd prompt in Windows, i.e., you can issue linux commands like du and df from a normal DOS prompt as well as the cygwin linux environment.  So, once cygwin is installed, open a cmd prompt, cd to the directory where you want to scan folder sizes, and issue this command:

du -h --max-depth=1

The -h switch makes it into human-readable numbers (G, M, K etc is denoted).  However, it doesn't sort them.  There's a couple of ways to do that.  I prefer to skip the -h switch and copy the output into Excel (or OOO, LibreOff, etc) and sort there - the output sizes will be in raw bytes without the -h switch.  Why choose this over other freeware options?  This will help you keep your command-line skills sharp, or at least not completely rusty anyway.  You can also then continue working with the command line while having the folder list up in Excel where it is freely sortable, calc'able, formatable, etc.  That may not sounds like a big deal, but it is when you need to clearly demonstrate to a user in management that it is indeed their 10-gig email inbox that is filling up the /home partition on the server; an Excel-ish file can be made all pretty for them.

28 februarie 2012 05:59
  • in my experience, xplorer2 (dual pane) is by far the best choice for substituting explorer in windows in all aspects, including folder sizes.

• Editat de mmartele 2 martie 2012 02:48
    2 martie 2012 02:25
  • Yes People are still interested. Laymen like me resent having to spend over an hour trying to find out how one can see folder sizes listed with Winows 7.

After all the money that these products make for MS the least one would expect is to be treated like a grown up and not like a delinquent who would misuse such an essential funtionality. Hope MS listens.

11 martie 2012 10:14
  • I have a work around for a small(?) subset of you who are using Parallels Desktop for Mac and are running W7 as a virtual machine.  Use Finder on the Mac side and navigate into your virtual machine sub-directories, right click on any folder and select Show view options, and check calculate all sizes.  It will take some time but you will be able to "see" file and folder sizes.   It is using a Mac capability to overcome a Windows weakness.  

I am not the expert that many of you are but I continue to be impressed by Mac OS compared with Windows OS in my crude side by side comparison.  Heresy but it worked.  Yahoo!  

14 martie 2012 14:28
  • Yes, Mac's are nice, but they really are expensive. And, Microsoft, why remove extremely useful content from your OS?

Adding third party apps to Windows, has always been they only way to work efficiently with these operating systems - so tools like FolderSize were a fantastic solution. (Though I'm not suggesting that Microsoft should consult 3rd party developers before creating their products).

What Microsoft should do is take a look at why 3rd party tools like FolderSize are so popular. Then maybe think about adding functionality to Windows, instead of removing it...e.g. the system tray network icon used to show useful information - like connection speed. I could go on a rant about networking in Windows 7 and what a real pain that is - but I wont.

However, that being said, from my perspective Windows 7 is hands down the best operating system Microsoft has produced. Just the winkey+search function alone is fantastic and really speeds up daily productivity.

Back on-off topic - has anyone mentioned Q-Dir? Installable or portable replaces explorer with multi-tab environment and shows folders sizes - amongst other things.

Oh and it's free.

16 martie 2012 09:28
  • Yes, Mac's are nice, but they really are expensive. And, Microsoft, why remove extremely useful content from your OS?

Adding third party apps to Windows, has always been they only way to work efficiently with these operating systems - so tools like FolderSize were a fantastic solution. (Though I'm not suggesting that Microsoft should consult 3rd party developers before creating their products).

What Microsoft should do is take a look at why 3rd party tools like FolderSize are so popular. Then maybe think about adding functionality to Windows, instead of removing it...e.g. the system tray network icon used to show useful information - like connection speed. I could go on a rant about networking in Windows 7 and what a real pain that is - but I wont.

However, that being said, from my perspective Windows 7 is hands down the best operating system Microsoft has produced. Just the winkey+search function alone is fantastic and really speeds up daily productivity.

Back on-off topic - has anyone mentioned Q-Dir? Installable or portable replaces explorer with multi-tab environment and shows folders sizes - amongst other things.

Oh and it's free.

Q-Dir shows folder sizes in all 4 tabs and their tabs. Ive been using it for years, IMO it beats all other explorer replacements and is free. Other than Windows update or control panel, I can't even remember using explorer. Link for Q-Dir http://www.softwareok.com/?seite=Freeware/Q-Dir and screenshots http://www.softwareok.com/?seite=Freeware/Q-Dir/Screenshots.
    17 martie 2012 03:57
  • Thanks Darrell... this worked perfectly for me.
    19 martie 2012 19:58
  • I downloaded and installed Q-Dir, but the size column is blank next to folders, and after looking through all other columns to display, I did not find any that would show the size of a folder's contents.  Can someone tell me what I am missing? 

Q-Dir-Screenshot-no-Sizes

Thanks.

• Editat de HDS-StL 20 martie 2012 15:28 added screenshot
    20 martie 2012 15:18
  • This page explains how to display folder size with q-dir:

http://www.softwareok.com/?seite=freeware/q-dir/File_and_folder_size_Column_with_percentage

I did everything the page said, but it still doesn't work. I have vista.

27 martie 2012 22:49
  • I got it: you have to change the settings as explained on the page, and then restart q-dit. Now it works:

27 martie 2012 22:52
  • Looks like yet another poorly-designed app: it lists the folder sizes not in alphabetical order, or in size order, but in some random order.  I guess that's ok if you only have about five folders but what if you had, say, fifty or a hundred?
    30 martie 2012 20:51
  • Definitely still interested.  Same issue as everyoe... :(
    10 aprilie 2012 04:55
  • haha!that  is exactly what i was doing when i realised it seemed ridiculous and went on yet another search to  better customize my pc
    10 aprilie 2012 14:05
  • I came here looking for a solution, but there appears to be none. I just don't like windows explorer in Win7. I've decided to use this alternative. 

http://www.explorerxp.com/index.html

Remove the 'size on disk' column and the groups pane and it's very similar to explorer in XP.

ExplorerXP - windows explorer alternative

28 aprilie 2012 23:42
  • I have used FolderSize (by the genius in Canada) for such a long time it seems.

I used to run a computer repair store and SO OFTEN had to find out what on earth was consuming the space of one's hard drive.

There was HANDS DOWN, THUMBS UP, BALLS OUT (insert your favorite moniker here) NO APP BETTER THAN FOLDER SIZE!

It pains me to hear windows users that toss up the "just right click and view properties".....if I only used it to monitor the size of my porn folder like you, that would be ideal.  Unfortunately, I look at hundreds of computers a week and when I am looking for 20% disk space just to do a defrag.....I need a quick look that FolderSize would provide.

I honestly thought this would be resolved by now.  Remember how horrible the search feature used to be in Outlook?  You had to use a 3rd party app called "Lookout" just to find your stuff in Outlook.  So, MS bought them up, hid them for a while, but finally incorporated their technology into Office and Windows search feature.  It's not super great, but I do give credit where it is due.  Microsoft has a much better search feature than before (as long as you choose Search all Mail Items...hee hee...shouldn't that be a default?)  Anyway, find this guy in Canada.....PAY HIM..... and get this shiznit resolved.

Way back when, it was ok to fire up AOL and suffer through the C3PO beeps & whisles to connect to the internet and jump into your lizard taming chat room.  But we don't have to do that anymore....we just fire up the computer and go (but I think the chat room has moved..lol)!  So stop telling me to right click on the damn properties button to see how large the folder is.  I didn't have to do it with FOLDERSIZE, and I don't want to now!

I'm not a Windows basher either. 

God bless all of you Microsoft people who lived thru Windows Millinium!  I see they kept you around long enough to do it again with Vista!

Seriously though, I love Win7.  It's the true successor to XP and earned it's props.  (It's my opinion, so let me continue my rant)

But really, find a solution to this problem.  I have read the info as to why it would be so difficult and the extra-ordinary resources it would take to provide that info each time you fired up Windows Explorer (if it is still called that).  I don't need it to be balls on accurate!  I just need a good idea of where the space hogs are.  If it's such a resource hog, provide the option to turn it off.....leave it off by default!   We still have the Remote Registry Service on by default....God knows we can't turn that off to perhaps make way for a useful program for, I don't know, anything else!   What the hell is Remote Registry anyway?  Has anyone every used this or allowed your registry to be altered remotely?  Anyway, I'm off my point, don't answer that..I don't really care....you guys get the idea.

Please put this on the request list...I would like to see it again in my lifetime.

Rock the Coonazz (yes I have a laptop in my alligator hunting boat....lol)

5 mai 2012 16:05
  • Folder Size works well in Win7. The only downside is that it takes time to scan each drive each time you open it. Maybe there's a way around that but I haven't found it.

ExplorerXP is even better. It is now my replacement for Windows Explorer. I have had no problems with it in Win7.

8 mai 2012 15:57
  • Theres also this tutorial on youtube!

How to calculate folder sizes in Windows explorer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jjof9jPR8TY

28 mai 2012 10:53
  • LoL, shi**y third party programs to compensate a basic SO functionality no one in the whole Microshi*of could see as useful. They don't use their own operating system!! That's the only plausable explaination for this and a ton of other incredible features and user interface flaws my 5-years-old cousin could see in 4 minutes of usage. 

I suggest to switch operating system. If this is not possible, maybe a full replacement of explorer is better then patching a broken garbage.

30 mai 2012 09:33
  • I agree this is a major problem...but disagree on using third party tool idiocy that can be an entry point for a root kit or worse a backdoor bug.  My relevance here is I manage servers and would like to quick and dirty folder checks using Explorer.  Being an old command prompt guy, it used to be easy to dump a directory listing into a text file and see it.  But since security is an issue and sometimes we need to hide folders, getting their size can be a chore using that method.  So instead of reviewing a list of folders, I have to rt click and view properties to get folder sizes.  It seems just viewing the sizes on servers should be included in Explorer but it is not.  Unlike 128GB SSDs, 5TB servers can have thousands of folders that you need to keep track of folder sizes.  MS should rethink this opinion on the server side...although FSRM is pretty good at that....just don't wish to enable it.  Be nice to have FSRM in Windows 7 to keep track.

Been There, Done That

21 iunie 2012 21:40
  • Hello,

You can use Disk Usage from Sysinternals to dump into a text file or a csv file

Download Disk usage from Sysinternals site.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896651

I dropped it into a tools folder.

then run:

C:\tools\du /v /c c:\Windows >windir.csv

You can choose the subdirectory level you want to query so you do not need to get all levels

22 iunie 2012 00:41
  • EXCELLENT INFO Noel.  Thanks..
    9 august 2012 04:34
  • ^

Guys you can try ExplorerXP for Win XP and Win 7.

Download Link: 

http://www.explorerxp.com/index.html#download
    2 octombrie 2012 06:57
  • I'm a big fan of Space Sniffer as well for Windows XP & 7.

It doesn't handle locked folders particularly gracefully (throwing up an error window) and it crashes occasionally, but, other than the odd flakiness it works just fine and allows you to sniff out space hogs.

PS I really don't get why Windows can't show folder spaces. This has been around for two decades in the various incarnations of Mac OS and that includes one shift to a new operating system and two shifts to 100% unrelated architectures (68K to PPC and PPC to Intel). If only Apple and Microsoft were to get together and combine their OSes--merge the best of both worlds into one.

4 octombrie 2012 00:34
  • This is just fantastic! I had same problem with Vista. What is UP with that?? Anyway, this is a terrific alternative.  I get the answers I need and although it isn't exactly the Explorer column that we all know SHOULD be present, this is a pretty handy alternative.  I'd tried numerous other apps, but they all seem to show just folders (like TreeSize).  I could go anywhere in Vista and simply repopulate to get all I needed.  Count me a happy camper. 

Thanks!

18 octombrie 2012 09:16
  • With a registry tweak - you can run Sysinternals DU command using the current folder from the Windows Explorer. Below cmd window shows the non-recursive and recursive execution of the du command. Interested parties can contact me for the code. 

21 octombrie 2012 23:51
  • Hey new version of Folder size is available here..

Folder Size version 2.8.0.0 ... Work with win 7...

http://www.windows7download.com/win7-folder-size/vvaysqkr.html

but as a software and not as a column in explorer...

22 noiembrie 2012 07:10

This link is for folder size. It does not work in Win 7.  A message from the developers of folder size.

"Folder Size 2.5

is for Windows 2000 or XP. Sorry, Vista and 7 changed Explorer so it can't support this column anymore."

Yes the shell integration works up to windows XP. I like the standalone Folder Size application as it does not scan in the background and does not use resources like the shell integrated version. Yes seeing sizes in explorer is much easier, but it requires CPU and disk operations in the background. On the other hand the standalone versions provides some additional features for easier disk cleanup.
    26 noiembrie 2012 22:54
  • OK everyone, some development has been made on this topic since the original post.  An actual working solution to the problem of not having a foldersize column is to use a freeware program called Q-Dir.

http://www.softwareok.com/?seite=faq-Q-DIR&faq=63

The website is written in poor English, but the software is great.  This is basically a replacement for Explorer similar to Explorer2 lite, except it's freeware and actually works and you don't have to keep hitting ctrl+D every time you change directories.  I have been using it for a few days and absolutely love it.  Play with the settings for 10 minutes to get it to look how you like it and you will be hooked.

7 decembrie 2012 00:37
  • I did not see this as a listed solution (forgive me if it was nuanced).  I use an XP laptop with Foldersize installed and and a _network_ to open the other computer's hard drive I want to browse inside the laptop XP Windows Explorer window.  It works as it should and, keep me honest here, it uses resources local to my laptop to do all of the calculations --except for the network draw it takes to query the remote folders--.

I wholeheartedly agree with the posts that FolderSize in Explorer is the most desirable and this was my way of harnassing that strength.  Nes Pas?

-Al

• Editat de Alzuun 18 decembrie 2012 23:01
    18 decembrie 2012 23:00
  • You are dead right about the not-so-bright people on Windows Explorer.

When you use the Windows Classic Theme and set 'Automatically Expand to current folder' (ie to make it work like XP) it SOMETIMES selects the folder instead of the file, which ahs resulted in me deleting whole folders instead of a single file.

I've done this a dozen or so times since I moved to Windows 7, and I've never done it in Windows XP, ME, 98, 95 (urgh so old)

See this screen shot as evidence!

Philip

10 ianuarie 2013 11:15
  • Windows 8 is no better.  WHAT the F are they thinking??!!
    2 martie 2013 01:40
  • Well, I hope you have all solved this problem.

If it isn't the case, I can inform you that I have just installed latest version of Q-dir and if you have a good look in Extras and F9, you will find all the options to add a column with the size of your folders + the number of sub-folders and files inside.

Big advantage also, if you are in the "normal" MS explorer, you just have to right click on a folder and choose Q-dir to open the folder and its contents with all the information that you need.

Happy surf

26 mai 2013 15:35
  • either they are not thinking anything or they screw us on purpose, I agree with the statement from Mike, later one is true. all their expensive office programs have flaws too, but only some, like they become practically unusable for the wide screens and they want to take courses all the time a new release comes out so you know how to us it. would be the same like any time GM brings out a new car you have to go to do your drivers test. I am off to Mac for good, Microsoft should go where it belongs........to f.....g hell.
    8 iulie 2013 22:17
  • After we bought $1000s of software that works only with windows lolol        And after paying for upgraded version of windows with the promise of updates.....      Good try
    12 iulie 2013 01:12
    This is the response for years from Microsoft apologist, just like the ones on ITunes forums when there was an obvious defect and someone points it out... and the donkey response is something like that.

F1

24 august 2013 23:31
  • Since there's apparently no du.exe in my Windows 7 Home Premium installation (64 bit), yes I'd like your code. Thanks in advance.   

jack@the-empty-set.com

jack__ritter@hotmail.com

20 octombrie 2013 20:20
  • i agree. fu microFucSmegmaLiquors.
    1 noiembrie 2013 02:19
  • ink_it = idiot.   nice contribution to the forum, idiot.
    1 noiembrie 2013 02:21
  • OK, here's my story. If I click on the windows explorer icon in the toolbar I get a view with the tree layout on the left side and the four top level library icons on the display window.  If I click on the Document icon I get a list of folders.  If I right click on a folder I get a short menu with properties at the bottom.  If I click on properties I get a window with a bunch of things I don't understand, but no size.

However, if I go back to the left hand side tree and click on Documents I get the same list of documents on the right side, if I right click on them I get the long menu with the choices like open, cut, copy, delete and properties at the bottom.  If I click on this properties the window opens and starts calculating the folder size. 

Now if you wanted to calculate the size of all the folders in your document file, all you have to do is create another folder under Documents and cut and paste all your folders and put them in that folders, then use the above method to check the size of that folder.  You'll also be able to find the size of individual folders as well.

21 noiembrie 2013 01:23

Yes, but the Recycle Bin in Vista and up is just as bad as the rest of Explorer.

Have you noticed that unlike the Recycle Bin in XP, the bin in Vista and up does NOT show the total size of recycled files and folders? The only way to see them is to select-all. However, notice that if you select more than 15 items in the bin, it will force you to click the link to show their sizes? Moreover, notice that if you select even one folder or bookmark (.url file), then Explorer will refuse to show you the size of the items even though it clearly knows the sizes of everything? Even selecting Properties won’t let you see their size; in fact, you cannot even open the Properties dialog box if you mix files with folders or bookmarks.

Idiocy incarnate. And if their incompetence were not bad enough, their refusal to acknowledge their ineptitude and fix it with a service-pack is adding insult to injury.

11 decembrie 2013 06:04

Helpful if you're looking for a genuine solution ?..............no.

11 decembrie 2013 09:45
  • Microsoft has the right (and commitment) to make its systems better. They should add file size in Explorer.
    28 decembrie 2013 15:33
  • The incompetent nincompoops at Microsoft have broken Classic Shell's status bar size showing feature in Windows 8 by making the status bar a private control. Worked in Windows 7/Vista where was a standard status bar control.

Anonymuos

That's fixed in the current version of ClassicShell (4), by the way.  ClassicShell now puts up its very own status bar in the bottom border of the Explorer pane (you can just shut off the stunted Microsoft one).

That said, it doesn't list the size of a folder when selected, so it doesn't really bear on this thread.

At this point, one can hover over a folder in Explorer in Windows 8.1 and get size information.  But it's not shown in a column, and for complex folder trees it can be an estimate...

-Noel

Detailed how-to in my eBooks:  

Configure The Windows 7 "To Work" Options
    Configure The Windows 8 "To Work" Options

28 decembrie 2013 17:29
  • Like what exactly? Linux? Oh so easy to use. Chrome? oh, so functional. That's bunk. Microsoft gets a lot of money from home users. Make it work for them. There's no reason not to add the feature to the home versions of windows7.
    30 decembrie 2013 14:19
  • Great software, still misses the point.
    30 decembrie 2013 14:20
  • Here's another one on the end of this chorus line for a fix from Microsoft.

Albeit, found the above suggestions for an alternative fix from monoecho and kennethp80 regarding Q-dir very useful:

http://www.softwareok.com/?seite=faq-Q-DIR&faq=63

To the right of the File Menu, I chose 1 pane for large, single folder views.

Click Extras> Data Size Information, select your preference, and "Use Q-Dir Internal Size Information" as well.

Also Extras>System>>Add Q-Dir to shell context menu.

Makes viewing one's folder sizes via right clicking an explorer folder a breeze. :)

P.s> Remember to "Save Current State" before quitting.

A natural, B flat, C sharp, D compile

• Editat de LaurieSt 14 ianuarie 2014 09:39
    14 ianuarie 2014 09:37
  • Just installed it on my windows 7 64 bit notebook and it worked fine.
    22 ianuarie 2014 20:39
  • Yeah, up near the top they were saying "doesn't work with Windows 7" but they must've been doing something wrong 'cause it works fine w/Vista which means it'll 99% work fine in 7.
    25 februarie 2014 19:18
  • I love scanner. I've found it a pretty useful utility in the absence of Microsoft displaying folder size.
    4 martie 2014 16:46
  • Thanks mate works sweet..pops up next to the window when you open it ... Windows 7!! if you cannot see it. its because its behind the window, minimize.
    3 mai 2014 09:02
  • Cheers this works very well Windows 7 64bit ..noice one 
    3 mai 2014 09:03
  • Here's another one to add to the list..

http://www.folder-size-explorer.com

Folder Size Explorer on Windows 8

• Editat de corg17 7 iunie 2014 22:51
    27 mai 2014 13:17